Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 2022 Mock drafts

Up The IRONS! GO STEELERS Array title="Iron Steeler has a reputation beyond repute"> Iron Steeler's Avatar

Re: 2022 Mock drafts

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    I would be happy with this. Would y want the TE though as I am happy with the three remaining.

I feel ebron is going to get released. And let's face it he is not a blocker. I predict we are going to try and be a run heavy team, so blocking TEs will be key.

Also, it was the highest ranked player on the board in round 4.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

I haven't even looked at TEs this draft season. Right now the room is Freiermuth, Gentry, Ebron, Rader, and Sternberger. I like Ruckert at OSU that I got to watch play several times last season. I don't know what round he projects but he looked like an already good blocker and what stuck out was his catch radius was huge.

Here's a sampling.....https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yp7RTB78hx8

I just don't think the position will be on the board though.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

1(20) Kenyon Green RG/LG/RT Texas A&M -OL upgrade, no brainer to me.
    2(52) ChristianWatson WR NDSU -6'5" 205 and fast "Z" receiver, moves Claypool inside to slot.
    3(84) Chad Muma ILB Wyoming -Much needed run stuffer with functional cover skills in space.
    4(137) Myron Tagovailoa-Amosa DL ND -1 Tech/3 Tech with athleticism and versatility to play all along the DL.
    7a(222) Michael Clemons OLB Texas A&M -Developmental OLB/Pass rusher.
    7b(238) Nick Ford OL Utah -Immediate backup OG and developmental Center.

The mock draft board just fell this way. I feel pretty sure the Steelers are drafting a QB in round1 or round2. I went with a build the team mind set here though. I think 6 good football players.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Just read this mock draft and found it interesting. Sharing it because it looks just like something the Steelers would do, after all our OL talk.

1st round: Kenny Pickett QB Pitt

2nd round: George Pickens WR Georgia

3rd round: Jeremy Ruckert TE OSU

4th round: Jack Jones CB ArizState

7th round: Noah Burks OLB Wisconsin

7th round: Abram Smith RB Baylor

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    Just read this mock draft and found it interesting. Sharing it because it looks just like something the Steelers would do, after all our OL talk.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Sorry, B2S… didn’t mean to kill the messenger.

But, no O-line…

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Not crazy about it. Also don’t know much about most of those guys.

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    Sorry, B2S… didn’t mean to kill the messenger.

But, no O-line…
    That was exactly my first thought. No OL!!!! But it just hit me as an interesting mock. QB-need, WR- need, TE-?? Ruckert is a bit PF 2.0 with better blocking?, CB-need, 2 7th round ST guys that add depth where depth is a need.

Some interesting moves at least. I guess with FA OL in mind?

I really need FA signings to start and to get through the NFL Combine so I can start looking at other players more seriously and see how the roster looks at draft time. I'm starting to get stuck on the same names already. Here's another for today:

1. Sam Howell QB NC - This is my #1 prospect until Colbert tells me different.

2. George Pickens WR Georgia - I looked this guy up since the last posted mock. This guy really impresses. His catch radius is insane because he can 'Swann' his body to get to the ball and make the catch.

3. Alontae Taylor CB Tennessee - Inside/outside CB with great man and zone skills. I don't think he will be there at #84 but he was in this mock.

4. Max Mitchell OT Louisiana - LT/RT that plays better right now in pass protection due to he can get bullied in run blocking. Probably play LT and move Dan to RT, OR play backup swing in 2022 with Banner and Moore as starters.

7a. Smoke Monday S/ILB Auburn - Big safety/NB prospect that upgrades Allen in pass defense.

7b. Nick Ford IOL Utah - There's that name again. I just really like this guy. Can play Center or either OGs day 1. Another that probably won't be available this late but was in this mock.

@B2S
    I’m hearing a LOT of chatter about Pickens. That said, WR is a luxury. We need two O-linemen and another D-lineman.

Of course, if we sign Terron Armstead and Akiem Hicks as free agents, then I’d really like this draft.

@B2S
    I’m hearing a LOT of chatter about Pickens. That said, WR is a luxury. We need two O-linemen and another D-lineman.

Of course, if we sign Terron Armstead and Akiem Hicks as free agents, then I’d really like this draft.
    I see the better move being get a Center from FA and draft a RT. DL is still up in the air until we know more(something/anything) from Tuitt. If the steelers re-sign Witherspoon and bring in a FA CB, no need to draft one this year. Replace CB with a DL instead in the third.

I don't see WR as a luxury actually. DJ is very good but he has not been great or clutch. Claypool had an off/injury season and I think he will be improved in 2022. Still, that is all we have currently. I hope JuJu gets re-signed but there is a need at WR. Pickens looks incredible.

I see the better move being get a Center from FA and draft a RT. DL is still up in the air until we know more(something/anything) from Tuitt. If the steelers re-sign Witherspoon and bring in a FA CB, no need to draft one this year. Replace CB with a DL instead in the third.

I don't see WR as a luxury actually. DJ is very good but he has not been great or clutch. Claypool had an off/injury season and I think he will be improved in 2022. Still, that is all we have currently. I hope JuJu gets re-signed but there is a need at WR. Pickens looks incredible.
    As long as they fill some of those holes in free agency…

With Tuitt possibly retiring and Alualu ending the past two seasons on IR, D-line is more of a need than WR. Same goes with O-line. Not that we don’t need a WR, but compared to other positions, DJ & Claypool look pretty good.

As long as they fill some of those holes in free agency…

With Tuitt possibly retiring and Alualu ending the past two seasons on IR, D-line is more of a need than WR. Same goes with O-line. Not that we don’t need a WR, but compared to other positions, DJ & Claypool look pretty good.
    Free agency is the key to everything. I wish there was an easy way to sort the 2022 free agents by who the Steelers had in-person meetings with. Typically what I want to happen seldom happens. but it also typically turns out better than I would have done. How do we feel about a 31yr old Sheldon Richardson? Hicks' market value says $5.5M/yr, but 33 next season. 30yr/old DaQuan Jones has been a favorite of mine. Bottom line is Colbert always seems to get at least the bare necessities done.

Personally, I would continue to stack top shelf talent on the defense through free agency. Build the offense through the draft. Prioritize the OL but do not neglect the skills positions.(I hate that term actually) A 2nd high quality RB to backup Najee, a TE room of 2-3 PF level guys, and a WR room that rivals the best of all time should be a goal too.

1. They can't beat us if they can't score.
    2. Score more points than they do.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

No one over 30 something should be signed as a FA. Like it or not, team is rebuilding. Signing older FAs and the premium price per production that entails is a bad idea at the start of a rebuild.

Get mid 20s guys on second contracts.

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    No one over 30 something should be signed as a FA. Like it or not, team is rebuilding. Signing older FAs and the premium price per production that entails is a bad idea at the start of a rebuild.

Get mid 20s guys on second contracts.
    They are not rebuilding on defense. The defense is only 2-3 pieces from being elite again. I honestly think if Tuitt had played last season and Alualu not broken his ankle, the run defense would have been top10 as well. LB play would have been better as well with those 2 guys keeping OL from getting to the 2nd level. Tuitt is a huge question mark and not even Mr.Rooney has an idea what his future is at this point. And Alualu's ankle was not because of age and breaking down so I expect(hope) him to return at full strength.

Now on the offensive side I would definitely stay younger in FA and bring in a Center that can hold the position for a 3-5 year contract. Hopefully draft a guy that can take over that role during that time. There are some really good OTs in this draft so paying premium for an older vet doesn't make sense to me either. Even at the OG position there are some guys that would improve the talent level into the mid-rounds. The Steelers could draft an OG and an OT, bring in a FA Center and keep Green as the primary RG/backup OC. A very real concern for me is Banner is a BIG man coming off an ACL repair. Chuks is a UFA. I think the Steelers MUST draft a RT early(20 or 52) to get one of the premium prospects.

Cam Heyward was talking about how Tuitt (and Alualu) are coming back; so, we can take a DT off of the board. This is assuming that we don’t sign a free agent O-lineman.

As much as I’d love an O-lineman in the first two rounds, I’m really getting a strong vibe with these first two picks. After that, the value is at RT (then center).

Connor is a given.

R1: Sam Howell, QB, UNC
    R2: Skyy Moore, WR, Western Mich
    R3: Rasheed Walker, RT, Penn St.
    R4: Alec Lindstrom, C, BC
    R6: Connor Heyward, TE/RB, Michigan St.
    R7: Nick Ford, OG, Utah
    R7: Troy Anderson, SS/ILB, Montana St.

Cam Heyward was talking about how Tuitt (and Alualu) are coming back; so, we can take a DT off of the board. This is assuming that we don’t sign a free agent O-lineman.

As much as I’d love an O-lineman in the first two rounds, I’m really getting a strong vibe with these first two picks. After that, the value is at RT (then center).

Connor is a given.

R1: Sam Howell, QB, UNC
    R2: Skyy Moore, WR, Western Mich
    R3: Rasheed Walker, RT, Penn St.
    R4: Alec Lindstrom, C, BC
    R6: Connor Heyward, TE/RB, Michigan St.
    R7: Nick Ford, OG, Utah
    R7: Troy Anderson, SS/ILB, Montana St.
    If reports are correct and they did wind up signing JuJu, a WR in Round 2…thoughts?

If reports are correct and they did wind up signing JuJu, a WR in Round 2…thoughts?
    You’d think the need would be filled, but they’ve met with a LOT of receivers.

With DJ in his final year, drafting Moore would give them leverage.

But, I honestly think that if the re-sign JuJu and then draft a receiver on Day 2… by Day 3, Claypool will have been traded. I know he’s got so much potential, but I honestly think he burned a couple of bridges with Tomlin.

You’d think the need would be filled, but they’ve met with a LOT of receivers.

With DJ in his final year, drafting Moore would give them leverage.

But, I honestly think that if the re-sign JuJu and then draft a receiver on Day 2… by Day 3, Claypool will have been traded. I know he’s got so much potential, but I honestly think he burned a couple of bridges with Tomlin.
    That’s a possible scenario. Where did you see he burned bridges with Tomlin?

That’s a possible scenario. Where did you see he burned bridges with Tomlin?
    Claypool telling the press about music at practice. Not too bad, but it did question Tomlin’s coaching in PUBLIC.

A few games where Claypool was benched for a quarter (here & there).

SUMMATION:
    Nothing too overt… more of a gut feeling.

Claypool telling the press about music at practice. Not too bad, but it did question Tomlin’s coaching in PUBLIC.

A few games where Claypool was benched for a quarter (here & there).

SUMMATION:
    Nothing too overt… more of a gut feeling.
    Gotcha.

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

[IMG][/IMG]

- - - Updated - - -

[IMG][/IMG]
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

[IMG][/IMG]

- - - Updated - - -

[IMG][/IMG]
    I’d be extremely happy with the first one.

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

I’d be extremely happy with the first one.
    it fell into my lap ... the second one I got caught up in a couple trades because my QB was taken at 19 so traded back a couple spots snagged an extra pick and took the best Center prospect and then took a flier on Ridder in round 2 who has a lot of tools that we seemingly are coveting this year based on comments , he is an athletic big guy not a fast runner but a long strider kind of like Allen up in Buffalo a tough runner that you cant ignore or he will get away from you .. at the cost I like him quite a bit

Luketa , I would actually try and kick him inside to replace Schobert

@Dwins
    Your first mock… YES!!!

Howell: every sign points to this happening

Zion in R2.

Lindstrom: we realistically could draft EVERY player from the BC line.

A Memphis receiver would make B2S verrry happy. (Plus, the kid is good.)

I love Farrell as a late-round prospect.

Any mock that doesn’t include Lil’ Cam isn’t going to get my approval.

@Dwins
    Your first mock… YES!!!

Howell: every sign points to this happening

Zion in R2.

Lindstrom: we realistically could draft EVERY player from the BC line.

A Memphis receiver would make B2S verrry happy. (Plus, the kid is good.)

I love Farrell as a late-round prospect.

Any mock that doesn’t include Lil’ Cam isn’t going to get my approval.
    That would put Calvin Austin AND Anthony Miller on the Steelers.

.....Sauce Gardner, Marcus Jones, Damarion Williams...A lot of AAC CBs say the same guy when asked who was the toughest WR they faced in college: Memphis WR Calvin Austin.

[IMG][/IMG]

again I envision Luketa and an ILB a thumper that can move

waller the CB from V tech can play and has really nice size will be surprised if he is around at this point

Hoffman would be a steal at this juncture too IMO this kid can just play ball , not a flashy kid but you put him in ( scheme be damned ) and he gets results at Guard or center 40+ starts started at coastal carolina and moved up to Virginia tech and his play didn't falter at all with the step up in competition I would expect a seamless transition to the NFL where he will push to play early on

[IMG][/IMG]

so .................

many will complain , some will applaud .......... went into this with the attitude that there was no QB worthy ( I disagree but anyways ) decided to see what I could do about filling holes with upgrades and STILL give myself a much better chance in 2023 at landing the next face of the franchise at QB and I think I accomplished just that .....

first next years draft card looks like this

[IMG][/IMG]

and this years draft would looks like this ...

- - - Updated - - -

[IMG][/IMG]