Thread: Time To Start A CB Thread 2022 Edition:

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Time To Start A CB Thread 2022 Edition:

Steelers current depth chart at CB:

LCB: Haden, Layne, Witherspoon

RCB: Sutton, Pierre, Maulet

Isaiah Johnson and Linden Stephens on PS

Looking at current contract situations:

Joe Haden: https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/pittsbur...oe-haden-6516/

Cam Sutton contract: https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/pittsbur...-sutton-21836/

Justin Layne contract: https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/pittsbur...n-layne-29119/

James Pierre contract: https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/pittsbur...-pierre-48189/

Akhello Witherspoon contract: https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/pittsbur...erspoon-21808/

Arthur Maulet contract: https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/pittsbur...-maulet-22427/

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Re: Time To Start A CB Thread 2022 Edition:

The top three corners in the upcoming draft are plug-&-play for the next decade. That said, there will be a plethora of very good corners available on Day 2.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    The top three corners in the upcoming draft are plug-&-play for the next decade. That said, there will be a plethora of very good corners available on Day 2.
    Whether round 1 or 7 or somewhere in between, it is my opinion CB has to be in play this draft. Probably in FA as well. I'm not even going to put player names to picks just talking about the position overall.

1. Outside or slot
    2. How important is tackling ability vs cover ability
    3. Experience at the position
    4. Ball skills and instincts

Names will develop from discussion and exploring options I think.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

I think you need a guy that can grow into a top CB.

Slot could be Norwood

Sutton continues to man the #2 position.

Witherspoon starts for Haden in 2022 with the rookie as depth. That pushes Pierre or Layne off the roster hopefully.

Then in 2023 it is 2022 draft pick/Sutton/Norwood as the top 3.

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

What decent CBs are free agents for 2022?

What CBs are the ones to watch for in the 2022 draft?

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    I think you need a guy that can grow into a top CB.

Slot could be Norwood

Sutton continues to man the #2 position.

Witherspoon starts for Haden in 2022 with the rookie as depth. That pushes Pierre or Layne off the roster hopefully.

Then in 2023 it is 2022 draft pick/Sutton/Norwood as the top 3.
    A starting 3 of Sutton, Spoon, and Norwood with 2022 draft pick backing up is probably the most favored plan. If this works out there is still a need for quality depth behind those 3. I'm thinking that at it's current state it is beyond a 1 year/1draft fix already.

Norwood is currently backing up Minkah at FS on the depth chart. Personally I would let him grow there, and also be a backup nickle/slot. Draft a nickle/slot DB in 2022 and bring in an outside CB in FA for quality and experience. But that could change by tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by tube517 View Post

You just asked a pair of million dollar questions.

I'm of the opinion if you need a CB to come in and play extended snaps straight away you have to take an upper classman with at least 3 years starting experience if drafting one.
    FA has it's own advantages and pitfalls too. The guys the Steelers have brought in from FA have been mostly successful lately, so maybe there is a winning formula they have discovered with that, maybe it has just worked out by happy accident.

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    You just asked a pair of million dollar questions.

I'm of the opinion if you need a CB to come in and play extended snaps straight away you have to take an upper classman with at least 3 years starting experience if drafting one.
    FA has it's own advantages and pitfalls too. The guys the Steelers have brought in from FA have been mostly successful lately, so maybe there is a winning formula they have discovered with that, maybe it has just worked out by happy accident.
    Sorry took so long to finish this thought....

A list of FA CBs coming up: https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-age...l/cornerback//

These are some CBs with 2-3 seasons of playing time in college. I know the Steelers seem to like drafting the underclassmen and taking young guys over older ones, but at the CB position I think experience with time playing that position is very important. Anyway, here's a few...

A pair of Clemson Tigers: Andrew Booth 34 games, Derion Kendrick 37 games.(Kendrick was recruited #4/6 WR nationally and started at WR)
    Roger McCreary Auburn 42 games.
    Martin Emerson MissState 36 games.
    A pair of Washington Huskies: Trent McDuffie 28 games, and Kyler Gordon 33 games.
    Kaiir Elam Florida 35 games. Also interesting note, son of Abe Elam and nephew of Matt Elam. Strong NFL bloodlines.
    Josh Jobe Bama 51 games.
    A pair of Cincinnati Bearcats: Ahmad Gardner 36 games, Coby Bryant 62 games.

These are just some players from nearly everyone's top 100 players on this year's draft prospects lists.

Senior Member Array title="pepsyman1 has much to be proud of"> pepsyman1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tube517 View Post

This is easy....whoever the Steelers scouts like STAY AWAY FROM and you should be golden.

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pepsyman1 View Post
    This is easy....whoever the Steelers scouts like STAY AWAY FROM and you should be golden.
    That's why I asked here lol

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

Alontae Taylor CB Tenessee: 6'0"-195lbs. Inside/Outside and Safety capability.

And just watch the endzone dance moves....https://www.espn.com/video/clip?id=32570315

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by polamalubeast View Post
    If they NEED one, the senior bowl is r going to fill that “need” right away…they’ll
    Have to go to FA to fill the immediate need.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    If they NEED one, the senior bowl is r going to fill that “need” right away…they’ll
    Have to go to FA to fill the immediate need.
    There are some really appetizing names on that CB FA list too.

An update from January.

LCB: Witherspoon, Layne
    RCB: Wallace, Pierre
    Slot: Sutton, Maulet, Norwood

FS: Fitzpatrick, Norwood, Stiner
    SS: Edmunds, Joseph, Killebrew

Trent McDuffie, Roger McCreary, and Alontae Taylor are my personal favorite CB prospects to become Steelers due to their ability to play inside/outside and experience.