Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Heroes and Goats vs Ravens.

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Re: Heroes and Goats vs Ravens.

I don't think the offensive line is as bad as some people do. Sure, there's a lot of room for improvement, but at least it's functional. If you think back to the likes of Sean Mahan, Jonathan Scott, Darnell Stapleton, and T-Rex Colon, where someone would whiff every time the opponent did a blitz or a stunt - THAT was a bad line. This one is just kind of meh. It would be nice if we could improve it, but it does not have anyone who just does not look like they belong in an NFL game, and we used to routinely have at least a couple of those.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Once, we were L Legends Array title="oneforthetoe has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by dislocatedday View Post
    I probably had an unrealistic expectation that Green would come in like Pouncey did and play at an extremely high level right away. You are right that most O-lineman don't play very good right away in year one. I live in the Washington DC area and I am familiar with the WFT as my wife is a lifelong fan of them. I remember Brandon Scherff not looking very stout in his first year, and Morgan Moses was an absolute dumpster fire in year one but eventually turned into a pretty good RT.
    No doubt Pouncy was the more polished player at center. If Pouncy was in this draft he likely would have been the first center selected. That said: While Faneca was gone from that offensive line in 2010, and the 2010 line was hardly among the Steelers best ever, it was still more stable than the line Green has had to play with. They made the Superbowl after all. That line had Scott (who I f0rgot about), Chris K, Pouncy, Foster and Old man Flozel. Max and was also on that team. And Legursky.

How many of those guys from 2021 line would start for the 2010 Steelers?

I'm going to say Dostson?

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dislocatedday View Post
    I knew Green had good bench press numbers at the combine, but I did not know he can also squat 700 lbs. He obviously has that lower body strength then. I was thinking perhaps he just is not strong (by NFL Olineman standards) in his lower body, but good to hear that is not the underlying issue. Based on what you stated, it sounds more like he snaps the ball and then pulls up too high most of the time, and the DTs get underneath him and get leverage on him and he ends up skating backwards. It seems like this would be correctable with practice/drills...........hopefully he can make strides in this area by next season. I'm not writing him off, but I just notice him getting driven backwards so often.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh yes, I agree....I was not indicating I wish the Steelers had drafted Creed over Freiermuth. I was just dreaming of an alternate universe where the Steelers drafted Freiermuth, and then traded back into the 2nd round again after that and drafted Creed ahead of the Chiefs.
    That what my untrained eye has seen, as well. In various threads, I have phrased it as such: “Green has trouble snapping the ball AND getting ready to block.” He has been asked to learn this skill while playing against NFL caliber NTs/DTs… whereas, most centers develop this skill throughout their college careers. In turn, I think he’d be excellent at RG where he doesn’t have to worry about snapping (just blocking). That’s not to say that he won’t learn to snap and prepare to block… but, if Linderbaum were available, it’s a thought that I hope the Steelers consider.

Imagine if we had traded this year’s R1 pick to move up from our spot in R3 to acquire Creed. That might be a steep price, but man alive!!! what a haul we would have had with our first three picks.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Heroes and Goats vs Ravens.

In hindsight (or maybe at the time as well), that would be totally worth it. But then some would start complaining about the number of 2022 draft picks the Steelers don’t have…

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="Rotorhead has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
    I don't think the offensive line is as bad as some people do. Sure, there's a lot of room for improvement, but at least it's functional. If you think back to the likes of Sean Mahan, Jonathan Scott, Darnell Stapleton, and T-Rex Colon, where someone would whiff every time the opponent did a blitz or a stunt - THAT was a bad line. This one is just kind of meh. It would be nice if we could improve it, but it does not have anyone who just does not look like they belong in an NFL game, and we used to routinely have at least a couple of those.
    You are not aloud to say those names ever again!

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

rollerskates scott was horrible

Senior Member Array title="HollywoodSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> HollywoodSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by oneforthetoe View Post
    No doubt Pouncy was the more polished player at center. If Pouncy was in this draft he likely would have been the first center selected. That said: While Faneca was gone from that offensive line in 2010, and the 2010 line was hardly among the Steelers best ever, it was still more stable than the line Green has had to play with. They made the Superbowl after all. That line had Scott (who I f0rgot about), Chris K, Pouncy, Foster and Old man Flozel. Max and was also on that team. And Legursky.

How many of those guys from 2021 line would start for the 2010 Steelers?

I'm going to say Dostson?
    I can say with confidence that I would take Moore over Scott any day of the week. But that is probably the lowest bar I can think of.