Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bush starting but stinking already

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

Bush starting but stinking already

first drive 6 plays in he has already retreated twice on a run instead of stepping up and making the tackle

damn this guy sucks
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

Drvlspwr Array title="Steel Peon has a reputation beyond repute"> Steel Peon's Avatar

Re: Bush starting but stinking already

He had a stellar tackle of TJ Watt today, nearly ruining Watt's tackle... I really don't want to sit here in public and say the dude looks really stupid, but I've honestly never seen someone do as many boneheaded things on a football field, or maybe in any game. Sure, dumber plays have been made, but his sheer quantity of bad plays has me shaking my head constantly.
    “They say you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone. So I got rid of everything to see what I had.” ~ Steven Wright

Super Moderator and Lone hawks fan Array title="Devilsdancefloor has a reputation beyond repute"> Devilsdancefloor's Avatar

Maybe a old retired LBer needs to come talk to him? I think he’s in a funk much like the Boz. ����*♂️

For those i love i will sacrifice.

Si ventus non est, remiga

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

this run and hit linebacker managed 2 tackles 8 missed / avoided tackles and damn near hurt a team mate .....

Meanwhile Justin Layne who didn't log many snaps managed 2 tackles as well .........

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    this run and hit linebacker managed 2 tackles 8 missed / avoided tackles and damn near hurt a team mate .....

Meanwhile Justin Layne who didn't log many snaps managed 2 tackles as well .........
    2 tackles as an ILB is downright unacceptable

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

He's a BUST - maybe the biggest in Steelers' history. I see no hope for him turning it around. He belongs on the bench.

Quote Originally Posted by Fire Goodell View Post
    2 tackles as an ILB is downright unacceptable
    agreed

Senior Member Array title="JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue has a reputation beyond repute"> JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue's Avatar

Oh come on he did have one nice pass break up early and other then that ?

Quote Originally Posted by JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue View Post

they may have credited him for it but he never touched that ball

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

that was Schobert, not Bush.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

It’s clearly an above the neck problem. He looks like a dude who is thinking instead of just letting it all hang out and play.

Seems the only hope is that he takes a big mental reset prior to next season. In my viewing experience, guys that look as lost as Bush rarely pull out of the nosedive in season.

But I’m out of my depth here and don’t know what typical solutions are in similar situations. He seems like he has the football version of the yips.

I will say that this is another example of why I can’t understand why franchises only deal with these guys as football players. Bush has said he felt disconnected during his injury rehab. Honestly, a team head shrinker just seems like a mandatory position teams should have.

Senior Member Array title="HollywoodSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> HollywoodSteel's Avatar

I saw him kind of freeze on a Lamar run and let others make the the tackle rather than go right at him. It looked like he was afraid of committing and guessing wrong, so he didn't do anything. Seems like all of his mistakes have gotten to be too much so now he's in his own head, and his head is not a very productive place to be.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HollywoodSteel View Post
    I saw him kind of freeze on a Lamar run and let others make the the tackle rather than go right at him. It looked like he was afraid of committing and guessing wrong, so he didn't do anything. Seems like all of his mistakes have gotten to be too much so now he's in his own head, and his head is not a very productive place to be.
    This! Better said than my ramblings.

Senior Member Array title="HollywoodSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> HollywoodSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    This! Better said than my ramblings.
    I actually posted before reading your ramblings, but your ramblings made complete sense to me.

It's hard to say why some players can emerge from this kind of mental issue to have it finally just click, and others never don't. James Harrison is a good example of a guy who was totally lost, but his own will to succeed propelled him to master it. Unlike Harrison, Bud Dupree might not have been able to work through his meant challenges through sheer will power alone, but fortunately he had TJ Watt to watch film with him every day and help him truly grasp the parts of the game that didn't come naturally.

So it's impossible to know what Bush really needs to help him get to the point where the lights go on and he stops having to second guess everything. Some guys probably don't have the mental strength to ever overcome this hurdle and just spiral, like Limas Sweed. But then you have a guy like Dionte Johnson, who could have totally lost confidence and continued to spiral, but instead decided to just work harder than anyone else in order to overcome whatever his problem was.

I hope Bush has the mental strength and the will to do whatever it takes to be great. If that's the case, then he'll find his way there.

Senior Member Array title="JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue has a reputation beyond repute"> JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteeler View Post
    that was Schobert, not Bush.
    Na it was Bush and even Romo mentioned it. After that that though ?

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Na it was Bush and even Romo mentioned it. After that that though ?
    Schobert had a pass defensed, Bush didn't.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/boxscore/_/gameId/401326520

Schobert had a pass defensed, Bush didn't.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/boxscore/_/gameId/401326520
    Trust me he did and not a fan of him but one good play he made.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

In all fairness, there were a lot of players that were just playing a contain type defense and not committing to a tackle until Jackson committed to making his move. That was happening everywhere and is actually the proper way to play Jackson.

I did see Bush retreating a few times more than necessary but it is hard not to against Jackson.

you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Trust me he did and not a fan of him but one good play he made.
    I know the play you are speaking of , between the hash and the left sideline he was in coverage and extended out to break up the pass ... BUT he didn't break it up , never touched the player or the ball he was a flash by distraction at best ... Romo did say something like oh look at that Breakup by Bush right there ( in real time) but the slow mo showed he truly had nothing to do with is

I know the play you are speaking of , between the hash and the left sideline he was in coverage and extended out to break up the pass ... BUT he didn't break it up , never touched the player or the ball he was a flash by distraction at best ... Romo did say something like oh look at that Breakup by Bush right there ( in real time) but the slow mo showed he truly had nothing to do with is
    Yea that the one and didn't see the slow mo.

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    In all fairness, there were a lot of players that were just playing a contain type defense and not committing to a tackle until Jackson committed to making his move. That was happening everywhere and is actually the proper way to play Jackson.

I did see Bush retreating a few times more than necessary but it is hard not to against Jackson.
    Right, but the play that stuck in my mind wasn't what you'd probably call contain. Jackson had already run about nine yards down the field and it looked like Bush was backing up to avoid being the one to attempt the tackle. I couldn't see a contain advantage to it all. I don't think Bush being on his heels would have helped him not get juked if two of his teammates weren't there to make the tackle. I suppose in theory it could have been by design. Like if two players are converging, the third moves back as a stopgap in case Jackson makes the two guys miss. The only issue is Bush seemed like he was the closest player to Jackson, until he backed away, and was in position to make the tackle first.

I know he didn't.

some people just can't ever admit when they're wrong.

I know he didn't.

some people just can't ever admit when they're wrong.
    I just said I didn't see the replay and look like it to me and apparently Romo too. Anyways Bush's shadow should get credit for that play.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Right, but the play that stuck in my mind wasn't what you'd probably call contain. Jackson had already run about nine yards down the field and it looked like Bush was backing up to avoid being the one to attempt the tackle. I couldn't see a contain advantage to it all. I don't think Bush being on his heels would have helped him not get juked if two of his teammates weren't there to make the tackle. I suppose in theory it could have been by design. Like if two players are converging, the third moves back as a stopgap in case Jackson makes the two guys miss. The only issue is Bush seemed like he was the closest player to Jackson, until he backed away, and was in position to make the tackle first.
    I know exactly what you are talking about. I thought it was odd as well…

you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Remember in “The Waterboy” when Bobby Boucher would visualize the opposing QB as someone who had previously taunted him? Bush just needs to imagine that the opposing QB is a cat…

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    Remember in “The Waterboy” when Bobby Boucher would visualize the opposing QB as someone who had previously taunted him? Bush just needs to imagine that the opposing QB is a cat…
    YOUR name is needle dick!

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Fire Goodell View Post
    YOUR name is needle dick!
    Dogs… they suck… they suck, they suck, they suck!!!

Hey Bushy… Cat-erade is better.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Watching some of the replay on NFL Network and keying on Bush some. It really appears that he's giving about 70% effort. I don't know how Tomlin can put up with that. I think Shazier could outplay him right now.

Senior Member Array title="Steeler-in-west has a reputation beyond repute"> Steeler-in-west's Avatar

"nobodies playing up to their potential" ; i don't know about that - Ben, Cam, Najee, Watt, for starters are all busting their assess out there.

Devin's not too bright. I assume he had a meeting with Tomlin after this or will...