Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Embrace the Rebuild!

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Embrace the Rebuild!

Starting in 2022, the Steelers have an opportunity (yes, an opportunity) to reshape the roster more than they have in a generation. There are only 8 players (not counting voidable years) with dead cap hits of over $2 million.

They can really go in any direction they want with the roster. They have to nail a few player evaluations...but ASSUME they hit another home run draft...sign a few key second contract FAs...and suddenly this could be become one of the most exciting and young rosters in the league.

Sure...it is tough to watch this year. Sure...it is sad to see some poor play. Sure...it is rough to watch Heyward struggle alone. But...whatever. Anyone who truly thought this was a contending team...was more than a bit overly optimistic. But the other extreme is not valid either. This is not some team destined to be awful for years. There are players to build from at almost every position group. And they have cash to do it. I wished they would have managed to acquire more draft picks...but I wish a great many things.

Honestly, I am kind excited about where this team is at in about 2023 or so.

Well there you have it... Array title="NCSteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> NCSteeler's Avatar

Re: Embrace the Rebuild!

I'm not a Tomlin hater but I'll be surprised if him and his staff could do anything with an exciting youthful roster.

But As always I'll tune in and be excited to see how it goes and cheer them on.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
    Merry Christmas

Senior Member Array title="Drazo85 has a reputation beyond repute"> Drazo85's Avatar
    Tetris Champion! Jungle Fruit Champion!

As always everything depends on a quarterback. It's probably going to be a veteran that can move. Tomlin was always enamored in Vick, since their days in Newport News, Virginia. He will definitely look in that direction. Question is, is there anyone who fit that mold. I think promoting Canada was done with that in hindsight. We'll see if Colbert and ARII agree with him.

Послато са Redmi Note 9 Pro помоћу Тапатока

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NCSteeler View Post
    I'm not a Tomlin hater but I'll be surprised if him and his staff could do anything with an exciting youthful roster.

But As always I'll tune in and be excited to see how it goes and cheer them on.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
    I mean he has been winning for how many years in the NFL? He hasn't just been coaching 10 year vets that entire time. But...I'll get off my soapbox on this issue because we certainly don't need another "Fire Tomlin" vs "Tomlin Wins" debate. Not like that ever goes anywhere for either side.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    Starting in 2022, the Steelers have an opportunity (yes, an opportunity) to reshape the roster more than they have in a generation. There are only 8 players (not counting voidable years) with dead cap hits of over $2 million.

They can really go in any direction they want with the roster. They have to nail a few player evaluations...but ASSUME they hit another home run draft...sign a few key second contract FAs...and suddenly this could be become one of the most exciting and young rosters in the league.

Sure...it is tough to watch this year. Sure...it is sad to see some poor play. Sure...it is rough to watch Heyward struggle alone. But...whatever. Anyone who truly thought this was a contending team...was more than a bit overly optimistic. But the other extreme is not valid either. This is not some team destined to be awful for years. There are players to build from at almost every position group. And they have cash to do it. I wished they would have managed to acquire more draft picks...but I wish a great many things.

Honestly, I am kind excited about where this team is at in about 2023 or so.
    There are several threads talking about team needs and drafting and moving players and even some burn it all down and start over.

1. Tomlin is a great HC and has been since he became one. That is fact. If the owners indeed move on that's their business, and I doubt Tomlin will spend more than an hour unemployed.
    2. Rebuilding in the NFL is constant. If you are not constantly building for tomorrow you are falling behind. Even though...there must be a plan, both short term and long term. And you need FO and coaching consistency to carry out those plans.
    3. Cam Heyward is a team leader and one of the best DL in the league today. He has gotten older so his eventual replacement has entered into the planning phase. Right now it seems to be Loudermilk. I believe the next phase of rebuilding on the DL is Alualu's eventual replacement. I don't think Tuitt's replacement was planned for and this season was a surprise for everyone that he's not playing. The question becomes do we continue as planned and try to get our next Alualu? Or do we need to shelve that and move on to our next Tuitt? Can anyone say for sure what is going on there outside the Steelers' offices? Need to be patient here, IMO.
    4. The rebuild plan at QB was obviously Mason Rudolph. I think that was a flashing neon sign since he was drafted. I am almost positive that will still be the plan entering the 2022 season. As much as I would love to move past that and draft the next face of the franchise QB, I think we're stuck with the MR show for a year or 2.
    5. The OL rebuild has been going on since AV took over at LT. During that time there have been 5 RTs including 2 years with Matt Feiler there. I think the LT and LG spots have been found for the short term at least. Still don't have a solid RT and the RG spot is completely up in the air. I don't want to quit on Green at Center just yet, but I understand the lack of patience fans have with him.
    Everything starts with the OL and the DL. Any commitment to rebuilding has to start there. Otherwise the QB and DB positions will always look bad.

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

I'm fine with rebuilding and they actually rebuilt the defense for 2019 but we all know what happened.

Just please no more trades for scrub CBs.

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

It's great to have so much flexibility, but what you want in a rebuild is not a huge roster purge. Like any year, I think you're trying to identify and keep the guys already on the roster who have the potential to contribute in the long term, and retool at a few positions where you need help. The big difference is maybe you're not so attached to guys who are relatively expensive and can help you in the short term (cough Haden cough). The big areas we should be looking at as I see them:

- We will probably need two CBs. Haden has been a good player for us, but I think it's doubtful he'll still be around and playing at a high level by the time were trying to contend for a championship.

- Who's going to play DL? We'll keep Heyward as long as he wants to keep playing, but that may only be another season or two. I have no confidence that either Tuitt or Alualu will hold up physically for any longer than that, either.

- Is our LB corps good enough as-is? I think so. It's not perfect and Bush sure leaves a lot to be desired this year, but probably not the place to be making big moves, since it's at least adequate while we address other things.

- Are our young OL guys worth trying to salvage? They take a lot of shit, but they're so green that I don't think you can give up on them yet. Would be nice to see at least one addition, though.

- Does Ebron really help us in the long term? Probably not.

- I guess pick two WRs that we like and start cycling the rest. Same with RBs.

Oh yeah, and there is that thing about finding a QB.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
    It's great to have so much flexibility, but what you want in a rebuild is not a huge roster purge. Like any year, I think you're trying to identify and keep the guys already on the roster who have the potential to contribute in the long term, and retool at a few positions where you need help. The big difference is maybe you're not so attached to guys who are relatively expensive and can help you in the short term (cough Haden cough). The big areas we should be looking at as I see them:

- We will probably need two CBs. Haden has been a good player for us, but I think it's doubtful he'll still be around and playing at a high level by the time were trying to contend for a championship.

- Who's going to play DL? We'll keep Heyward as long as he wants to keep playing, but that may only be another season or two. I have no confidence that either Tuitt or Alualu will hold up physically for any longer than that, either.

- Is our LB corps good enough as-is? I think so. It's not perfect and Bush sure leaves a lot to be desired this year, but probably not the place to be making big moves, since it's at least adequate while we address other things.

- Are our young OL guys worth trying to salvage? They take a lot of shit, but they're so green that I don't think you can give up on them yet. Would be nice to see at least one addition, though.

- Does Ebron really help us in the long term? Probably not.

- I guess pick two WRs that we like and start cycling the rest. Same with RBs.

Oh yeah, and there is that thing about finding a QB.
    Ebron and Haden are likely gone. Alualu is only signed thru 2022 and that is it. Tuitt is expensive and a big question mark even if coming back 2022 at full strength. Loudermilk will likely be top backup next year. Nobody else really after them

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

I’m looking forward to the new era and what it may bring. It’s way too early to even suggest what they may or may not do but there’s probably a few players that everyone would keep:

Watt, Harris, Fitzpatrick? What other 7 players (10 total) would other people suggest keeping as untouchables? Maybe it’s not that different…

I’d keep:

Watt
    Harris
    Fitzpatrick
    Freiermuth
    Diontae
    Heyward
    JuJu
    Claypool
    Boswell
    Dotson or Sutton (as a nickel)

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Colbert/Tomlin will never rebuild. Even though they may appear clueless with the QB situation, I guarantee they have a plan for 2022. And that plan will not include a rebuild. Sure there are other positions of need. What team doesn't have them. Even ones that were great last year (WFT defense), are deficient this year. It's year to year anymore in the NFL with plug and play parts. The main thing is to have a QB. I'm gonna trust Colbert/Tomlin right up until they roll Mason Rudolph out there in week 1.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Drazo85 View Post
    As always everything depends on a quarterback. It's probably going to be a veteran that can move. Tomlin was always enamored in Vick, since their days in Newport News, Virginia. He will definitely look in that direction. Question is, is there anyone who fit that mold. I think promoting Canada was done with that in hindsight. We'll see if Colbert and ARII agree with him.

Послато са Redmi Note 9 Pro помоћу Тапатока
    See Trubisky/Mariota

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

if I was the guy in charge I start in the trenches as well that is where games are won and lost , sure it looks like special QBs win the games but if they have no time to throw they don't do so well either ( see Mahomes last SB when he lost 2 starting lineman and they havent been able to replace them to date )

I would draft or sign a vet Center to push Green and a RG , I would also get a prototypical 5 tech end and a big space eater to play the nose ( perhaps that Nose in free agency ?? ) I honestly do not expect AluAlu to return and if he does I do not expect him to be the same player his age is against him and big men and broken ankles can be a long recovery time to get back at 100%

Perhaps look at someone like Mariota at QB to better fit Canada's system if he is sticking around ??

whatever draft capital you have left add a WR / RB/ ILB
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

Senior Member Array title="Steeler-in-west has a reputation beyond repute"> Steeler-in-west's Avatar

It was not overly optimistic to expect the team to be better. We had key injuries, a few key guys regressed, and Ben has continued his decline instead of the expected improvement from an additional off-season of rest. And the line was pretty unanimously expected to be better by now.

This is an unexpectedly expedited rebuild. Hopefully the available cap space will help fill holes and we have a good draft. Solidifying both side of the line should be priority. That being said Unless we hit the Rodgers sweepstakes I expect next season to be not much better than this year because of not having the right QB yet. Rudolph is backup quality so far.
    Last edited by Steeler-in-west; 12-04-2021 at 05:14 AM.

Dragging this thread back up. I still really believe in the overall idea.

Leaving "star" players aside that would massively improve whatever unit or position group they were placed on - imagine what would happen if the 2nd and 3rd string guys were all bumped a notch or two in quality up and down the roster?

Tuitt disappears again. Alualu gets hurt again. And the team actually uses cap space to sign "more than minimum salary" guys to the depth chart behind them. What if the NT replacements were able to play at a Wormley level instead of a Mondeaux or Buggs level? What if the options at ILB were anything besides really game special teams players (Spillane and UG3)? What if the reserve CBs were better than STs gunners with hopes for development (Layne and Pierre)?

I am not saying that the team needs stars or stars in waiting at all of these positions...but I am not sure that Mondeaux, Buggs, Layne, Spillane, UG3 or Pierre make many 53 man rosters across the league. And on this defense, they are "Key" depth pieces. Largely because there has been no cap space to change them out. And partly because of an organizational philosophy that values familiarity over risk in the depth chart...but this is about the cap space portion.

Same on offense. Imagine if Turner came off the bench. I mean, I know he isn't very good, but what if that was the level of back-up rather than Leglue? Or a better example. Moore comes off the bench instead of being thrust into the line-up. While the offensive line was a performance thing that lead to all 5 starters being swapped out; many of the decisions made about who replaced them and when were cap related.

Many have lamented the lack of aggressive man coverage in 2021. Much of that is likely because of an erosion in talent in the secondary. Watching Haden attempt to corral Chase in man coverage indicates that isn't his strong suit anymore. Nelson isn't on the roster any longer. And watch "highlights" from the end of the Bears game to see why Maulet can't be in man coverage out of the slot. So, Sutton is now the only "man capable" CB...although Witherspoon (and BOY...was I WRONG here) appears to be fairly frisky in man coverage.

Now imagine a secondary where Sutton is in the slot still, Nelson is still here, and there is an upgraded depth option behind Haden/Nelson...bet the coverage schemes are far different...

Moving forward...the Steelers have a shot to do a major "level up" across the depth chart. Now...they just gotta find the guys...

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

The Steelers have the ninth most cap space next year… and can get $17 million more by cutting four other players (including Derek Watt).

1. I would target Zeus II (Orlando Brown, Jr.). The Chiefs traded a R1 pick for him, but they only got one year out of him. He’s gonna want a pay day… PAY THE MAN!!! (NOTE: It simultaneously weakens a conference for.)

2. Throw the rest at Jalen Ramsey (if he’s available). I have a feeling the Rams will have to cut a few players, and he might be available.

2-a. If not, sign Carlton Davis.

3. Draft a C in R1 (and move Green to RG)…. and BOOM!!! the O-live looks really good.

4. Use both Day 2 picks on DT/DEs.

5. Re-sign JuJu.

6. Extend DJ.

7. Hope Bush plays like a R2 pick.

8. Extend Minkah.

9. Extend Edmunds.

Senior Member Array title="Moose has a brilliant future">

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    2. Rebuilding in the NFL is constant. If you are not constantly building for tomorrow you are falling behind. Even though...there must be a plan, both short term and long term. And you need FO and coaching consistency to carry out those plans..
    ALL great post, and ALL intelligent post ! But I personally think Born2Steel hit the nail on the head with his #2 answer. That was one of the biggest problems that I think this team had for the past 2 - 3 years was letting good to great player's leave and NOT replacing any of them. Just always drafting or signing on a "WISH" that the player would be good or great, but ended up just being a 'body' on the job. It finally bit them in the ass, as this team dynasty fell apart. Hopefully the FO will make serious changes needed, from the TOP to the BOTTOM. And we ALL KNOW MORE THAN 1 CHANGE IS NEEDED.

Senior Member Array title="HollywoodSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> HollywoodSteel's Avatar

I love the optimism and I want to share it. Part of me thinks, yeah a lot of teams have plenty of cap space every year and unless they have a masterful head coach and/or GM, this team building thing is a crapshoot and doesn’t often work.

But on the other hand, you’re right that we do have a lot of talented guys already at different position groups, and I really do think Colbert is smart and creative enough to do good things with more cap money.

To me the only difference to the type of rebuilding we’re always trying to do is that we have to go hard in FA. But only if we can wrap up guys long term. I assume this plan doesn’t involve spending all our money on Aaron Rodgers so realistically we aren’t going to be a contender in 2022. For that reason I might wait a year on a guy like Ramsey until we’re in win now mode. Unless we can get him on a long term deal that’s front loaded so that we save cap space on him when we’ll need it later.

But apart from FA, we have been trying to do all this with the draft. Bush was supposed to be Shazier. It didn’t happen. I like Edmonds but so far he’s no first round caliber safety. This year, Najee and PF were great picks. They’ll be the heart and soul of the offense for years to come. But Green, Moore, the rest… so far they’re just guys who might get better with experience.

I can’t say I’m the biggest Tomlin fan this week, but I’ll get over that. One advantage of having a HC whose security is guaranteed for at least a couple years is that you can do long term strategic things rather than signing Nick Foles to win you 8 games so you don’t get fired.

Quote Originally Posted by HollywoodSteel View Post
    I love the optimism and I want to share it. Part of me thinks, yeah a lot of teams have plenty of cap space every year and unless they have a masterful head coach and/or GM, this team building thing is a crapshoot and doesn’t often work.

But on the other hand, you’re right that we do have a lot of talented guys already at different position groups, and I really do think Colbert is smart and creative enough to do good things with more cap money.

To me the only difference to the type of rebuilding we’re always trying to do is that we have to go hard in FA. But only if we can wrap up guys long term. I assume this plan doesn’t involve spending all our money on Aaron Rodgers so realistically we aren’t going to be a contender in 2022. For that reason I might wait a year on a guy like Ramsey until we’re in win now mode. Unless we can get him on a long term deal that’s front loaded so that we save cap space on him when we’ll need it later.

But apart from FA, we have been trying to do all this with the draft. Bush was supposed to be Shazier. It didn’t happen. I like Edmonds but so far he’s no first round caliber safety. This year, Najee and PF were great picks. They’ll be the heart and soul of the offense for years to come. But Green, Moore, the rest… so far they’re just guys who might get better with experience.

I can’t say I’m the biggest Tomlin fan this week, but I’ll get over that. One advantage of having a HC whose security is guaranteed for at least a couple years is that you can do long term strategic things rather than signing Nick Foles to win you 8 games so you don’t get fired.
    Yes!!!

And since the team is not in "win right now before everyone gets old or expensive" mode. You don't have to draft Edmunds 2.0 or trade up for Bush and hope either or both is the "missing piece" of your championship puzzle.

You can wait your turn in each round and take the BEST player for the next 3-5 years.

Then, as you mentioned, use FA (because all these guys are on rookie deals) to fill in the pieces around them.

Senior Member Array title="Rotorhead has a reputation beyond repute">

It can be a pretty quick turn around rebuild honestly, some OL and DL help, ILB and a CB fixes everything aside from QB. That, to me, is the big question. We could literally fix everything aside from QB between the draft and FA this year if we have a good draft.

Senior Member Array title="HollywoodSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> HollywoodSteel's Avatar

Yes!!!

And since the team is not in "win right now before everyone gets old or expensive" mode. You don't have to draft Edmunds 2.0 or trade up for Bush and hope either or both is the "missing piece" of your championship puzzle.

You can wait your turn in each round and take the BEST player for the next 3-5 years.

Then, as you mentioned, use FA (because all these guys are on rookie deals) to fill in the pieces around them.
    Yeah, but even if the coach isn’t on the hot seat, a 3-5 year rebuild (that actually LOOKS like a 3-5 year rebuild) is a really hard sell to a fanbase. Especially THIS fan base.

Generally hot shot new coaches who come to a losing team kind of have that understood expectation of a couple losing seasons. But how often does a head coach have some success, then some mediocrity, then get a 3-5 year expected window to be successful again? It doesn’t really happen in the modern NFL. You generally have to be like Belichick to last forever. You have maybe one down season after your QB leaves, but then back in the mix. Harbaugh was on the hot seat for a minute when Flacco flamed out, but then Lamar saved him. But those guys never let their defenses fall off a cliff, so they are always the right QB away from being a contender. Even the Saints can beat the Bucs with no one special playing QB. They are obviously a QB away from being a real contenders. Sean Payton has security but I don’t know if he could have sold them on waiting 3-5 years to be good again post Brees.

I’m not saying that Tomlin should be on the hot seat to win now. But I don’t think you can ever REALLY admit to sacrificing even a single season for long term goals.

I mean, if we don’t go the Aaron Rodgers route, I’m all for not wasting a first round pick on a lackluster QB from a weak draft class, and just build the team in anticipation of our coming messiah. Throw Haskins out there for a season for fun since we aren’t winning a championship next season anyway. But I don’t know if teams really employ that strategy and risk losing revenue for a season and pissing off the fan base. Even the great modern Buccaneers build wasn’t planned to just build around a future savior QB. They used a first round pick on Winston in there. No one sacrifices the short term for the long term in the NFL. Even Belichick had to pretend that Cam Newton was brought in to win now.

Yeah, but even if the coach isn’t on the hot seat, a 3-5 year rebuild (that actually LOOKS like a 3-5 year rebuild) is a really hard sell to a fanbase. Especially THIS fan base.

Generally hot shot new coaches who come to a losing team kind of have that understood expectation of a couple losing seasons. But how often does a head coach have some success, then some mediocrity, then get a 3-5 year expected window to be successful again? It doesn’t really happen in the modern NFL. You generally have to be like Belichick to last forever. You have maybe one down season after your QB leaves, but then back in the mix. Harbaugh was on the hot seat for a minute when Flacco flamed out, but then Lamar saved him. But those guys never let their defenses fall off a cliff, so they are always the right QB away from being a contender. Even the Saints can beat the Bucs with no one special playing QB. They are obviously a QB away from being a real contenders. Sean Payton has security but I don’t know if he could have sold them on waiting 3-5 years to be good again post Brees.

I’m not saying that Tomlin should be on the hot seat to win now. But I don’t think you can ever REALLY admit to sacrificing even a single season for long term goals.

I mean, if we don’t go the Aaron Rodgers route, I’m all for not wasting a first round pick on a lackluster QB from a weak draft class, and just build the team in anticipation of our coming messiah. Throw Haskins out there for a season for fun since we aren’t winning a championship next season anyway. But I don’t know if teams really employ that strategy and risk losing revenue for a season and pissing off the fan base. Even the great modern Buccaneers build wasn’t planned to just build around a future savior QB. They used a first round pick on Winston in there. No one sacrifices the short term for the long term in the NFL. Even Belichick had to pretend that Cam Newton was brought in to win now.
    I wasn't saying that the rebuild is 3-5 years. I just meant that there have been several high draft picks (and to be fair, all teams trying to win SBs do this) that were made as "the final piece" kinda ideas. Instead of maybe taking another player at a different position who over a the same 3-5 year rookie contract window becomes the better NFL player.

When you aren't right against the salary cap every single year and you don't only have the draft as a way of replenishing talent...you can be a bit more flexible in who you pick each round. Then, even if the pieces are all miss-matched...you have FA $$$ to fill the gaps.

2 years - if the get the evaluations correct on individual players - and this team is right back in it every single year for several. Meaning 2022 is bad. 2023 is a return to playoff potential and by 2024 they are being talked about as an (re)emerging SB team. If they get a QB this off-season...that could be cut by a full year.

Also...I would argue that only like 6-8 teams are trying to win a SB every year. Every team says they are...but pay attention and most aren't. And I don't even mean just the bad teams. Take the Raiders as an example...does a team that is serious about trying to win a SB THIS year do what they did with their offensive line? And does it stand pat on its WR group to the extent they did? I suspect not.

I wasn't saying that the rebuild is 3-5 years. I just meant that there have been several high draft picks (and to be fair, all teams trying to win SBs do this) that were made as "the final piece" kinda ideas. Instead of maybe taking another player at a different position who over a the same 3-5 year rookie contract window becomes the better NFL player.

When you aren't right against the salary cap every single year and you don't only have the draft as a way of replenishing talent...you can be a bit more flexible in who you pick each round. Then, even if the pieces are all miss-matched...you have FA $$$ to fill the gaps.

2 years - if the get the evaluations correct on individual players - and this team is right back in it every single year for several. Meaning 2022 is bad. 2023 is a return to playoff potential and by 2024 they are being talked about as an (re)emerging SB team. If they get a QB this off-season...that could be cut by a full year.

Also...I would argue that only like 6-8 teams are trying to win a SB every year. Every team says they are...but pay attention and most aren't. And I don't even mean just the bad teams. Take the Raiders as an example...does a team that is serious about trying to win a SB THIS year do what they did with their offensive line? And does it stand pat on its WR group to the extent they did? I suspect not.
    I’m not sure what you mean about not trying to win a Super Bowl. If you mean that they do implement long term plans at the expense of the short term, they tend to not ever admit that publicly. They always at least try to appear like they’re doing their best to win every year.

As far as the Raiders go, I don’t really know what their cap situation was, or what their plan was. But ironically, that was a team with a secure head coach who maybe was trying to do something long term at the expense of this season. Not sure what, but I assume there was a plan. Whatever else we think about John Gruden, the fact is that man wants to win a Super Bowl. Maybe he was orchestrating some grand rebuild. Not sure if that plan died with him though.

I’m not sure what you mean about not trying to win a Super Bowl. If you mean that they do implement long term plans at the expense of the short term, they tend to not ever admit that publicly. They always at least try to appear like they’re doing their best to win every year.

As far as the Raiders go, I don’t really know what their cap situation was, or what their plan was. But ironically, that was a team with a secure head coach who maybe was trying to do something long term at the expense of this season. Not sure what, but I assume there was a plan. Whatever else we think about John Gruden, the fact is that man wants to win a Super Bowl. Maybe he was orchestrating some grand rebuild. Not sure if that plan died with him though.
    I’ve heard multiple former NFL execs and front office personnel say that only about 6-8 teams are trying to win a SB in any given year. Most are trying to get in position to be one of those small number in X years from now. Or at least that’s how I understood it.

Everyone says they are but most are working some version of a 2-3 year plan to get to a 2-3 year period they go “all in” and take their shot.

Sure, Gruden wants to win. But you don’t rebuild your entire line and turn your LT position over to a rookie in a year you really think you’re trying to win a SB. And that’s fine. Likely was a decent plan.

I’ve heard multiple former NFL execs and front office personnel say that only about 6-8 teams are trying to win a SB in any given year. Most are trying to get in position to be one of those small number in X years from now. Or at least that’s how I understood it.

Everyone says they are but most are working some version of a 2-3 year plan to get to a 2-3 year period they go “all in” and take their shot.

Sure, Gruden wants to win. But you don’t rebuild your entire line and turn your LT position over to a rookie in a year you really think you’re trying to win a SB. And that’s fine. Likely was a decent plan.
    Yeah, I buy that that.

But like I said, teams can’t be obvious about it or they’ll take too much heat. Maybe my version of the plan is more extreme than yours. If we don’t go with an Aaron Rodgers type plan, then I’m all about not drafting any QB in this class and not bringing in a FA QB who might get us 8 precious wins. I wouldn’t even start Rudolph because I already know he’s a 5 to 8 win guy and that does nothing for our future. I’d play Haskins or some other boom or bust guy who costs nothing. The only purpose of a QB in this scenario is to either uncover an unlikely gem of a franchise QB or get us a very high draft pick in 2023.

I’m just saying that my way is blatantly obvious and I don’t think the Steelers would go for something like that. They’ll do the dance and try to win as many games as they can next year, regardless of its potential detriment to long term success.

Yeah, I buy that that.

But like I said, teams can’t be obvious about it or they’ll take too much heat. Maybe my version of the plan is more extreme than yours. If we don’t go with an Aaron Rodgers type plan, then I’m all about not drafting any QB in this class and not bringing in a FA QB who might get us 8 precious wins. I wouldn’t even start Rudolph because I already know he’s a 5 to 8 win guy and that does nothing for our future. I’d play Haskins or some other boom or bust guy who costs nothing. The only purpose of a QB in this scenario is to either uncover an unlikely gem of a franchise QB or get us a very high draft pick in 2023.

I’m just saying that my way is blatantly obvious and I don’t think the Steelers would go for something like that. They’ll do the dance and try to win as many games as they can next year, regardless of its potential detriment to long term success.
    I’m totally on board. If I was in charge, it would’ve happened this year.

The dance you describe is very dumb and a waste of time.

If they dance to that tune, I’ll be posting angry takes for the first time in a long while.

Senior Member Array title="Steeler-in-west has a reputation beyond repute"> Steeler-in-west's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    The Steelers have the ninth most cap space next year… and can get $17 million more by cutting four other players (including Derek Watt).

1. I would target Zeus II (Orlando Brown, Jr.). The Chiefs traded a R1 pick for him, but they only got one year out of him. He’s gonna want a pay day… PAY THE MAN!!! (NOTE: It simultaneously weakens a conference for.)

2. Throw the rest at Jalen Ramsey (if he’s available). I have a feeling the Rams will have to cut a few players, and he might be available.

2-a. If not, sign Carlton Davis.

3. Draft a C in R1 (and move Green to RG)…. and BOOM!!! the O-live looks really good.

4. Use both Day 2 picks on DT/DEs.

5. Re-sign JuJu.

6. Extend DJ.

7. Hope Bush plays like a R2 pick.

8. Extend Minkah.

9. Extend Edmunds.
    All sounds good, who’s playing Qb? Rudy?

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Steeler-in-west View Post
    All sounds good, who’s playing Qb? Rudy?
    R1: Linderbaum (or whichever center is a there when we pick)

R2: Carson Strong (his knee has been given the okay)

R3: DE/DT

R3 comp: DE/DT

R1: Linderbaum (or whichever center is a there when we pick)

R2: Carson Strong (his knee has been given the okay)

R3: DE/DT

R3 comp: DE/DT
    Turn it in now.

Turn it in now.
    I emailed it to Colbert:

icantdraftcorners@omarisagenius.com

I added some names (off the top of my head).

R1…OC: Tyler Linderbaum, Iowa or Kenyon Green, Texas A&M

R2: Carson Strong, QB, Nevada

R3 and R3 comp: I’m off of the Jordan Davis train. Georgia fans have soured on him… so, he is a hard pass!!! I mention him, because with these two picks, I’ll gladly take two of his linemates:

Devante Wyatt is a DT/DE/NT. He’d be a bigger DE, who has just enough girth to slide inside to play NT.

Travon Walker is a small 3-4 DE, or a very large OLB. With Watt lining up everywhere, it might be good to have a player like Walker who can play DE but also slide out and play OLB.

I added some names (off the top of my head).

R1…OC: Tyler Linderbaum, Iowa or Kenyon Green, Texas A&M

R2: Carson Strong, QB, Nevada

R3 and R3 comp: I’m off of the Jordan Davis train. Georgia fans have soured on him… so, he is a hard pass!!! I mention him, because with these two picks, I’ll gladly take two of his linemates:

Devante Wyatt is a DT/DE/NT. He’d be a bigger DE, who has just enough girth to slide inside to play NT.

Travon Walker is a small 3-4 DE, or a very large OLB. With Watt lining up everywhere, it might be good to have a player like Walker who can play DE but also slide out and play OLB.
    It would add a lot of power to the defense. Always a good thing.

I see what Parsons did for Dallas and what JOK did for Browns.

If (and I strongly doubt they will but that's another whole debate) the get 2 thirds...I'd like to see some speed on the defense.

Despite recent evidence, many guys on the roster can be assignment sound. But, since Bush forgot how to play, no one just flys around and creates havoc.