Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: QB is the sexy pick, but we may need to go DL early in the draft

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

QB is the sexy pick, but we may need to go DL early in the draft

Honestly I think the weakest part of our team is the DL. After Heyward, who do we have? Tuitt is never available, and Alualu is too old to endure an entire season. Loudermilk looks like he might be pretty good, but other than that, anyone else on the DL doesn't necessary inspire confidence. The Steeler D will never return to form until the D-line is fixed, are there any prospects right now who would be plug and play and immediately improve the line?

After watching these last few games, I really miss having someone like Hargrave or Fat Casey at NT

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

Re: QB is the sexy pick, but we may need to go DL early in the draft

Quote Originally Posted by Fire Goodell View Post
    Honestly I think the weakest part of our team is the DL. After Heyward, who do we have? Tuitt is never available, and Alualu is too old to endure an entire season. Loudermilk looks like he might be pretty good, but other than that, anyone else on the DL doesn't necessary inspire confidence. The Steeler D will never return to form until the D-line is fixed, are there any prospects right now who would be plug and play and immediately improve the line?

After watching these last few games, I really miss having someone like Hargrave or Fat Casey at NT

please quit with the false narrative on Tuitt , I corrected you in another thread ( apparently you didn't read ) so here we go again ...

excluding this season he has just 2 seasons with 12 or less games played ... 91 games played in 7 seasons 116 possible .... for a man his size , his drive and production thats pretty damn dependable ... big men who play like he does suffer injury its a fact of life ( see JJ Watt per example ) 10 of those missed games in one season for a torn muscle its not like that is malingering or anything

https://www.pro-football-reference.c...T/TuitSt00.htm
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    please quit with the false narrative on Tuitt , I corrected you in another thread ( apparently you didn't read ) so here we go again ...

excluding this season he has just 2 seasons with 12 or less games played ... 91 games played in 7 seasons 116 possible .... for a man his size , his drive and production thats pretty damn dependable ... big men who play like he does suffer injury its a fact of life ( see JJ Watt per example ) 10 of those missed games in one season for a torn muscle its not like that is malingering or anything

https://www.pro-football-reference.c...T/TuitSt00.htm
    No, not a false narrative. The only time he's been available for 16 games in a season was his rookie year.

Also, is there any of the backups this year anyone you'd have faith in? there's basically nobody behind the starters minus Loudermilk who have any promise

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

No, not a false narrative. The only time he's been available for 16 games in a season was his rookie year.

yeah that is correct but you make it sound as if he is always out of the lineup when the fact is .....

6 torn pectoral muscle
    and 2021 blank slate do to a combination of injury and grief of losing his brother
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

2019 when he played 6 games and 2021 when he'll likely play no games are the only seasons Tuitt has had injury problems. Regardless, all signs point to the Steelers releasing him in the offseason.

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    2019 when he played 6 games and 2021 when he'll likely play no games are the only seasons Tuitt has had injury problems. Regardless, all signs point to the Steelers releasing him in the offseason.
    Which means DL is one of the bigger needs this team has

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Which means DL is one of the bigger needs this team has
    Yep. Just not greater than quarterback.

That is true

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Right! Or at least my thought as well. Great QB play can elevate the entire roster. Great DL play can buoy your defense.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Given that there likely isnt a QB that grades out in the top 15 where the Steelers will be drafting, then it kind of makes sense to look at D line, CB or even O line with the first round pick.

Then look at a QB who you might like in the 2nd with upside and address a QB in Free Agency.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    Given that there likely isnt a QB that grades out in the top 15 where the Steelers will be drafting, then it kind of makes sense to look at D line, CB or even O line with the first round pick.

Then look at a QB who you might like in the 2nd with upside and address a QB in Free Agency.
    Couldn’t disagree more.

If you have scouted and evaluated a player and believe he is a 10 year starter at QB, then you draft him at the first available opportunity. Screw what the media rankings say about “value”.

Now, if you think the “best” QB in the class tops out at Baker Mayfield or Kirk Cousins levels, then ABSOLUTELY pass.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Or if you have a first round grade on a guy like Rudolph…

you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    Now, if you think the “best” QB in the class tops out at Baker Mayfield or Kirk Cousins levels, then ABSOLUTELY pass.
    I'd take a Kirk Cousins in the top 10 in a heartbeat. Baker, I'd pass on him in the 3rd round.

Senior Member Array title="Steeler-in-west has a reputation beyond repute"> Steeler-in-west's Avatar

We haven’t had much luck drafting a QB outside the top half of the first round. If we’re not there I would go with the other non QB needs and look to get a QB in FA.

I'd take a Kirk Cousins in the top 10 in a heartbeat. Baker, I'd pass on him in the 3rd round.
    Why?

The Vikings are trying to figure out how to move on from him as many see him as the element holding the entire offense back.

Why?

The Vikings are trying to figure out how to move on from him as many see him as the element holding the entire offense back.
    Season to date:

23 TDs & 3 INTs
    274 Yards per game
    67.1% completion %
    Rating 105.3

His numbers are almost identical to Aaron Rodgers this year, in every category.

Cousins in NOT the Vikings' problem. If they're trying to get rid of him, I hope the Steelers jump on it. Instead of listening to talking heads, I actually watch the games. He is a very good (not elite) QB.

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

yeah that is correct but you make it sound as if he is always out of the lineup when the fact is .....

6 torn pectoral muscle
    and 2021 blank slate do to a combination of injury and grief of losing his brother
    That one ought to worry you. So many times when a defensive lineman gets that injury, it means the end is near. Maybe it won't be right away, or maybe it will. But either way, I think we need to plan as if we are likely to lose Tuitt permanently at any time.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Season to date:

23 TDs & 3 INTs
    274 Yards per game
    67.1% completion %
    Rating 105.3

His numbers are almost identical to Aaron Rodgers this year, in every category.

Cousins in NOT the Vikings' problem. If they're trying to get rid of him, I hope the Steelers jump on it. Instead of listening to talking heads, I actually watch the games. He is a very good (not elite) QB.
    The list of ways that Cousins is precisely the Vikings problem is long.

Here is one: Cousins averages a league WORST 5.4 ypa on 2nd and 7 or longer.
    Here is another: Cousins and the Vikings rank 29th in 3rd down conversions. Despite leading the league in 3rd down attempts!

Throw in his back-breaking turnovers and frequent bad decisions...and I think you may be part of a vanishingly small minority that would draft Cousins 2.0 in the top 10.

The list of ways that Cousins is precisely the Vikings problem is long.

Here is one: Cousins averages a league WORST 5.4 ypa on 2nd and 7 or longer.
    Here is another: Cousins and the Vikings rank 29th in 3rd down conversions. Despite leading the league in 3rd down attempts!

Throw in his back-breaking turnovers and frequent bad decisions...and I think you may be part of a vanishingly small minority that would draft Cousins 2.0 in the top 10.
    Are you watching the Vikings or just drawing conclusions on things that could actually be bad play calling.

Senior Member Array title="Steeler-in-west has a reputation beyond repute"> Steeler-in-west's Avatar

Have a few friends who are Vikings fans and they don’t think much of Cousins at all, they would love it if the Steelers or someone else took him off their hands - he’s apparently a choker

wonder what the story is on AJ McCarron? He looked good a few years ago in Cinci but has been relegated to backup since

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Couldn’t disagree more.

If you have scouted and evaluated a player and believe he is a 10 year starter at QB, then you draft him at the first available opportunity. Screw what the media rankings say about “value”.

What part of my first sentence in the post don't you understand??

There isnt an Elway, Peyton Manning or Andrew Luck in this draft. There might be a Russell Wilson or Drew Brees to be found in the 2nd round, but more likely an Elvis Grbac that people will reach for in the first like they did Mayfield, Geno Smith, EJ Manuel, etc.

Are you watching the Vikings or just drawing conclusions on things that could actually be bad play calling.
    A little from column a and little from column b.

If my choices are Mason Rudolph or Kirk Cousins...sure I'm going Cousins. If my it is washed Ben or Cousins, again Cousins.

But if I think that there is a QB in the draft that tops out at Cousins level...then I have no interest in burning a top 10 pick to compete for the Wildcard every season. For me, Cousins is an inefficient QB who makes a lot of mistakes and is only as good as the talent around him. That isn't who I'm looking for in the top 10. Doesn't mean I am right...just where my head is at.

Quote Originally Posted by Steeler-in-west View Post
    Have a few friends who are Vikings fans and they don’t think much of Cousins at all, they would love it if the Steelers or someone else took him off their hands - he’s apparently a choker

wonder what the story is on AJ McCarron? He looked good a few years ago in Cinci but has been relegated to backup since
    You mean there are fans that want to ride a player out of town because they havent won a lot and there are 52 other guys on the team, who may contribute to that?? I am shocked to hear that happens!!

AJ McCarron? He has been with 4 teams in 7 seasons and has 174 career passing attempts. Mason Rudolph thinks that McCarron hasnt done anything in the NFL yet.

What part of my first sentence in the post don't you understand??

There isnt an Elway, Peyton Manning or Andrew Luck in this draft. There might be a Russell Wilson or Drew Brees to be found in the 2nd round, but more likely an Elvis Grbac that people will reach for in the first like they did Mayfield, Geno Smith, EJ Manuel, etc.
    This is the thing I don't get. If you think a guy is Russell Wilson 2.0 then take him first overall. Why wait until the second round because some random grading system says he isn't "worth" the pick?

We can take a recent example: Mahomes. Tons of places had him as a 2nd-4th round prospect for a variety of reasons (decision making and questions about accuracy were the two most frequent). Of course he ended up going high to KC. Think there are other teams out there that might like to have that night back and see if they could get above KC and take Mahomes? But most teams waited because he was "only a second rounder".

NFL teams are awful at evaluating QBs and are far too risk averse in just drafting their guy. Find a guy you think can lead your team...then just go get him.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Is there a QB that is worth a Top-10 pick? Last draft was supposed to be all-world guaranteed NFL material and right now, it looks like one player is solid (Mac Jones), one, maybe two could be solid (Lawrence and Fields) and two QBs that just may not get it and look like they could be total misses (Lance and Wilson) and one guy that compares to Mason Rudolph (Trask). 2 of the top-3 picks currently land in the bust category. Of course it's still early, but you would hope that some of these guys show a little promise...which 3 of the 6 do...

Are we dealing with a draft class that has a Mac Jones in it or is the best out of this draft going to top out at Zach Wilson?

you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Ravens Fan Extraordinaire Array title="Crow-Magnon has a reputation beyond repute"> Crow-Magnon's Avatar

This is the thing I don't get. If you think a guy is Russell Wilson 2.0 then take him first overall. Why wait until the second round because some random grading system says he isn't "worth" the pick?

We can take a recent example: Mahomes. Tons of places had him as a 2nd-4th round prospect for a variety of reasons (decision making and questions about accuracy were the two most frequent). Of course he ended up going high to KC. Think there are other teams out there that might like to have that night back and see if they could get above KC and take Mahomes? But most teams waited because he was "only a second rounder".

NFL teams are awful at evaluating QBs and are far too risk averse in just drafting their guy. Find a guy you think can lead your team...then just go get him.
    Just look where Brady was drafted. ‘Nuff said.

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Is there a QB that is worth a Top-10 pick? Last draft was supposed to be all-world guaranteed NFL material and right now, it looks like one player is solid (Mac Jones), one, maybe two could be solid (Lawrence and Fields) and two QBs that just may not get it and look like they could be total misses (Lance and Wilson) and one guy that compares to Mason Rudolph (Trask). 2 of the top-3 picks currently land in the bust category. Of course it's still early, but you would hope that some of these guys show a little promise...which 3 of the 6 do...

Are we dealing with a draft class that has a Mac Jones in it or is the best out of this draft going to top out at Zach Wilson?
    That may be the case. It is entirely possible that in 2 years this looks very different. Here is my contrarian forecast:

1. Lance takes off when he has a full off-season as the starter.
    2. Lawrence looks great on terrible teams because Urban Meyer
    3. Jones never really moves beyond what he is now. Looked promising as a rookie because Alabama basically prepped him to run the Pats system. When asked to do more...there isn't any more there.
    4. Fields takes off when freed from Matt Nagy.
    5. Wilson fizzles out because J-E-T-S..JETS! JETS! JETS! Spends a career wandering the NFL landscape looking for the right situation to turn it around.

A little from column a and little from column b.

If my choices are Mason Rudolph or Kirk Cousins...sure I'm going Cousins. If my it is washed Ben or Cousins, again Cousins.

But if I think that there is a QB in the draft that tops out at Cousins level...then I have no interest in burning a top 10 pick to compete for the Wildcard every season. For me, Cousins is an inefficient QB who makes a lot of mistakes and is only as good as the talent around him. That isn't who I'm looking for in the top 10. Doesn't mean I am right...just where my head is at.
    Do you have any idea who that might be in the draft yet? Belichic would win the super bowl with Cousins.

You mean there are fans that want to ride a player out of town because they havent won a lot and there are 52 other guys on the team, who may contribute to that?? I am shocked to hear that happens!!

AJ McCarron? He has been with 4 teams in 7 seasons and has 174 career passing attempts. Mason Rudolph thinks that McCarron hasnt done anything in the NFL yet.
    QB play can make or break a team. It doesn’t take a football savant to know when a QB is not cutting it. If QB play is deemed poor by a lot of fans that probably means it’s because the QB is actually playing poorly.

As far as McCarron he was good in the few games he played for the bengals - I think 6 TDS to 3 ints. He almost beat us in a playoff game in 15’. Maybe it was an injury, but he fell off the radar after that. Just throwing names out there of QB’s who played well at some point in their NFL careers. Like Bridgewater as well. Means the ability was or is there and could be resurrected. I know they picked up Haskins because of his draft status but the guy hasn’t done anything at the pro level. Is that really any better?

The best the Steelers have done selecting a non top 15 QB has been O’Donnell from the 3rd round with Kordell out of the 2nd round as a runner up. I mean without a top 15 pick that’s the best level of QB we can expect in the draft…a guy who can win a playoff game or two or maybe even reach the super bowl if the team around him is great - not a Ben, who could carry a team