Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: QB is the sexy pick, but we may need to go DL early in the draft

Senior Member Array title="Rotorhead has a reputation beyond repute">

Re: QB is the sexy pick, but we may need to go DL early in the draft

So back to the topic and original post, why do you think Alualu is too old to be reliable? Especially if he is rotating (as was the plan for this season) to keep him, Tuitt/Loudermilk and Heyward all fresh. I guess as a team they need to see what is up with Tuitt and Alualu, if they both return (or just one honestly) and Loudermilk keeps improving, we don’t need DL at all.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    That may be the case. It is entirely possible that in 2 years this looks very different. Here is my contrarian forecast:

1. Lance takes off when he has a full off-season as the starter.
    2. Lawrence looks great on terrible teams because Urban Meyer
    3. Jones never really moves beyond what he is now. Looked promising as a rookie because Alabama basically prepped him to run the Pats system. When asked to do more...there isn't any more there.
    4. Fields takes off when freed from Matt Nagy.
    5. Wilson fizzles out because J-E-T-S..JETS! JETS! JETS! Spends a career wandering the NFL landscape looking for the right situation to turn it around.
    Could be 100% accurate…lol

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Jordan Davis agrees.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rotorhead View Post
    So back to the topic and original post, why do you think Alualu is too old to be reliable? .
    Because next August AluAlu will be 35 years old and coming off a broken ankle? Generally 35 year old Linemen with lots of snaps in their career are a good bet to be injured and declining in ability.

Senior Member Array title="Rotorhead has a reputation beyond repute">

QB is the sexy pick, but we may need to go DL early in the draft

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    Because next August AluAlu will be 35 years old and coming off a broken ankle? Generally 35 year old Linemen with lots of snaps in their career are a good bet to be injured and declining in ability.
    Well, a broken ankle, depending on the severity and location of the break, may not be a big deal. Plus he was pretty dominant until the injury, so if he heals up I would like him back until he proves otherwise and especially if we can hold off drafting a DL high for another season or 2.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Well, a broken ankle, depending on the severity and location of the break, may not be a big deal. Plus he was pretty dominant until the injury, so if he heals up I would like him back until he proves otherwise and especially if we can hold off drafting a DL high for another season or 2.
    When replacing NFL professionals with drafted college players, it is best to do it a year or 2 in advance, otherwise you end up expecting a rookie that is used to playing 12 games a year against mostly college players that are getting on with their chosen profession, to now perform against NFL veterans. Then its a 17 game season and possibly more with playoffs. "Succession Planning" is what you want to be doing.

Next season, Alualu is 35 years old. Heyward will be 33 years old and Tuitt is MIA with a history of pectoral and bicep injuries. Spending a draft pick or some free agent money on a D lineman is long overdue and should not be delayed any longer.

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

When replacing NFL professionals with drafted college players, it is best to do it a year or 2 in advance, otherwise you end up expecting a rookie that is used to playing 12 games a year against mostly college players that are getting on with their chosen profession, to now perform against NFL veterans. Then its a 17 game season and possibly more with playoffs. "Succession Planning" is what you want to be doing.

Next season, Alualu is 35 years old. Heyward will be 33 years old and Tuitt is MIA with a history of pectoral and bicep injuries. Spending a draft pick or some free agent money on a D lineman is long overdue and should not be delayed any longer.
    currently no viable option at NT .... Buggs and Davis the backup plan are either hurt or ineffective and now Mondeoux is being asked to give it a go ?? he is a downhill player not exactly a 2 gap defender ... unless they employ a spy to help stop Jackson and the run its gonna be a long day on Sunday ... makes one wonder how bad is Khalil Davis as he sits on the practice squad ??
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

Well there you have it... Array title="NCSteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> NCSteeler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Or if you have a first round grade on a guy like Rudolph…
    Yep, we have a small window into Colbert's QB drafting, could it be as bad as CBs?

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
    Merry Christmas

Well there you have it... Array title="NCSteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> NCSteeler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    Season to date:

23 TDs & 3 INTs
    274 Yards per game
    67.1% completion %
    Rating 105.3

His numbers are almost identical to Aaron Rodgers this year, in every category.

Cousins in NOT the Vikings' problem. If they're trying to get rid of him, I hope the Steelers jump on it. Instead of listening to talking heads, I actually watch the games. He is a very good (not elite) QB.
    I thought the same thing when I read that comment. I don't see him playing bad. He's a bit expensive paid like a all pro though

Merry Christmas

This is the thing I don't get. If you think a guy is Russell Wilson 2.0 then take him first overall. Why wait until the second round because some random grading system says he isn't "worth" the pick?

We can take a recent example: Mahomes. Tons of places had him as a 2nd-4th round prospect for a variety of reasons (decision making and questions about accuracy were the two most frequent). Of course he ended up going high to KC. Think there are other teams out there that might like to have that night back and see if they could get above KC and take Mahomes? But most teams waited because he was "only a second rounder".

NFL teams are awful at evaluating QBs and are far too risk averse in just drafting their guy. Find a guy you think can lead your team...then just go get him.
    And KC is lucky or just better than everyone else at evacuating because we all know he could have been Mayfield and be screwing up instead of winning SB.

Btw, some may think he has the most talented offensive team around him. We'll see what he does with less, could be Kirk cousin one day

Merry Christmas

Quote Originally Posted by Steeler-in-west View Post
    The best the Steelers have done selecting a non top 15 QB has been O’Donnell from the 3rd round with Kordell out of the 2nd round as a runner up. I mean without a top 15 pick that’s the best level of QB we can expect in the draft…a guy who can win a playoff game or two or maybe even reach the super bowl if the team around him is great - not a Ben, who could carry a team
    That's wore out to me.

What team did Ben carry? He's had a lot of talent around him plus possibly a few of the greatest defenses ever to see the field.

Bye I have Bens jersey, have always rooted for him but I don't think he ever carried a team. Very very few ever have

Merry Christmas

So back to the topic and original post, why do you think Alualu is too old to be reliable? Especially if he is rotating (as was the plan for this season) to keep him, Tuitt/Loudermilk and Heyward all fresh. I guess as a team they need to see what is up with Tuitt and Alualu, if they both return (or just one honestly) and Loudermilk keeps improving, we don’t need DL at all.
    I'd have alot of questions, tuitt and Alualu getting long in the tooth. Aaron Smith was the best and was pretty much washed up after his similar injury.

I'd at least burn some me early pick on DL, if a guy could be Smith or Heyward level falls to 15¿ You draft him, no brainer

Merry Christmas

Quote Originally Posted by NCSteeler View Post
    That's wore out to me.

What team did Ben carry? He's had a lot of talent around him plus possibly a few of the greatest defenses ever to see the field.

Bye I have Bens jersey, have always rooted for him but I don't think he ever carried a team. Very very few ever have

Truth!

Those super bowl teams had championship defenses. I also purchased a #7 jersey, before the regular season in Ben's rookie year. The guy is a HOF QB, but never carried a team.

I get a kick out of the doom and gloom of picking a QB outside of the top of the first round. Nobody wants to remember where guys like Dak Prescott, Russell Wilson, Drew Brees or Tom Brady were selected. Then if you invoke the names like Marino, Kelly, Rivers, Esiason, Dan Fouts, who were great QB's....the ususal response is that the didnt play on good teams or have good defenses to support them.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

It is true that you can sometimes get a QB outside of the first round. But...it needs to be remembered how frequently the DL "rankings" are. Remember that year that all us message board folks and internet draft scouts had like 212 defensive tackles ranked in the first round. 2016. https://bleacherreport.com/articles/...above-the-rest. Maybe Kenny Clark and Chris Jones lived up to the hype?

How many teams would rather of went after Dak than one of the "deepest DT class in history of the forever universe!"?

The NFL often can't identify QB talent worth a darn. They nit-pick guys to death. Find reason to ignore guys that make plays and elevate guys that fit the increasingly outdated mold. Multiple teams passed on Dak because they were skittish of taking a QB "higher than they had to". Who was QB of the Jets that year? I don't even remember, but I know Dak is better.

This is my point. Screw the "grade". Screw the "how high is too high" question. Find the darn guy that can play the position and get him in your building. Heck, the position is so important - draft him twice just to be sure.

And there is never, that I can remember, been a draft class without a really good QB to come out of it. Maybe it wasn't the guy(s) that everyone thought...but they are in every draft class. Scout better. Coach better. And get the guy.

It is true that you can sometimes get a QB outside of the first round. But...it needs to be remembered how frequently the DL "rankings" are. Remember that year that all us message board folks and internet draft scouts had like 212 defensive tackles ranked in the first round. 2016. https://bleacherreport.com/articles/...above-the-rest. Maybe Kenny Clark and Chris Jones lived up to the hype?

How many teams would rather of went after Dak than one of the "deepest DT class in history of the forever universe!"?

The NFL often can't identify QB talent worth a darn. They nit-pick guys to death. Find reason to ignore guys that make plays and elevate guys that fit the increasingly outdated mold. Multiple teams passed on Dak because they were skittish of taking a QB "higher than they had to". Who was QB of the Jets that year? I don't even remember, but I know Dak is better.

This is my point. Screw the "grade". Screw the "how high is too high" question. Find the darn guy that can play the position and get him in your building. Heck, the position is so important - draft him twice just to be sure.

And there is never, that I can remember, been a draft class without a really good QB to come out of it. Maybe it wasn't the guy(s) that everyone thought...but they are in every draft class. Scout better. Coach better. And get the guy.
    I'm going to take a guess that had the jets selected Dak he would be a has been by now.

It's kinda why I'm against drafting a QB this year, the team is so bad it could hurt his development

Merry Christmas

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Truth!

Those super bowl teams had championship defenses. I also purchased a #7 jersey, before the regular season in Ben's rookie year. The guy is a HOF QB, but never carried a team.

I get a kick out of the doom and gloom of picking a QB outside of the top of the first round. Nobody wants to remember where guys like Dak Prescott, Russell Wilson, Drew Brees or Tom Brady were selected. Then if you invoke the names like Marino, Kelly, Rivers, Esiason, Dan Fouts, who were great QB's....the ususal response is that the didnt play on good teams or have good defenses to support them.
    The playoff run to the first SB sure looked like a QB carrying a team.

The SB winning drive against the Cardinals sure looked like a QB carrying a team.

Those championship caliber defenses had a tremendous amount to do with those Steelers teams lifting a Lombardi trophy. But you can have all the championship caliber defense you want and if you don't have a QB that can at least occasionally put a team on his back...then you are playing golf while someone else plays in the SB. Ask this year's Panthers. Or the 2019 and 2020 Steelers. Or most of the last several years 49ers. Those are just recent examples off the top of my head. The last defense that dragged a team kicking in screaming to a SB was the Broncos and then the Ravens before that. So like twice in 20 years.

Defense is the most variable year in and year out element in football. Witness the 2021 Steelers defense. A few injuries. A few less turnovers. Boom! Bad defense.

Offense is replicable year in and year out when you have a good QB.

The SB winning drive against the Cardinals sure looked like a QB carrying a team.

Those championship caliber defenses had a tremendous amount to do with those Steelers teams lifting a Lombardi trophy. But you can have all the championship caliber defense you want and if you don't have a QB that can at least occasionally put a team on his back...then you are playing golf while someone else plays in the SB. Ask this year's Panthers. Or the 2019 and 2020 Steelers. Or most of the last several years 49ers. Those are just recent examples off the top of my head. The last defense that dragged a team kicking in screaming to a SB was the Broncos and then the Ravens before that. So like twice in 20 years.

Defense is the most variable year in and year out element in football. Witness the 2021 Steelers defense. A few injuries. A few less turnovers. Boom! Bad defense.

I'm seriously not trying to tear Ben down. I'm just saying those teams were not devoid of talent. 2004-6 one of the best o lines Steelers ever had. Bettis, Ward, heath, sandoobio, mendenhall. Now with that said they wouldn't have won those SBs with Jay Cutler

But Trent dilfer?

Merry Christmas

2005 Steelers. Record: 11-5 (Wildcard playoff team) Offensive rank 15 in yards, 9th in scoring. Defensive rank 4th in yards allowed, 3rd in points allowed.

Super Bowl XL....Steelers win 21-10. Ben Roethilisberger 9 completions on 23 ATT, 123YDS, 0 TD, 2 INT, 22.6 Rating
    Just for reference another passer in that game....Randle El, 1 completion, 1ATT, 43 Yds, 1TD, 0 INT, 158,3 Rating

Carrying a team.

2005 Steelers. Record: 11-5 (Wildcard playoff team) Offensive rank 15 in yards, 9th in scoring. Defensive rank 4th in yards allowed, 3rd in points allowed.

Super Bowl XL....Steelers win 21-10. Ben Roethilisberger 9 completions on 23 ATT, 123YDS, 0 TD, 2 INT, 22.6 Rating
    Just for reference another passer in that game....Randle El, 1 completion, 1ATT, 43 Yds, 1TD, 0 INT, 158,3 Rating

Carrying a team.
    Go back and watch the highlights from the playoff run leading up to that SB -- you know the thing I actually mentioned. They don't beat the Broncos without Ben making a bunch of plays. Sure, he wasn't great shakes in the SB...but he made that SB possible.

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

ooops lol hey bro check out 2015........2013 ....2010 ... 2007 .....2006 ....2002......1997 ....1996........1994 ....1992.... 1990...... ( 1990 was last year I bothered with )

https://www.drafthistory.com/index.php/positions/qb
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

ooops lol hey bro check out 2015........2013 ....2010 ... 2007 .....2006 ....2002......1997 ....1996........1994 ....1992.... 1990...... ( 1990 was last year I bothered with )

Then the list is probably cut in half by Pick 14-16 where the Steelers may wind up?

After the first round, it’s all a crap shoot. For example, the Seahawks didn’t think Russell Wilson was going to be as good as he is/was. If they did, they would’ve taken him much earlier then they did. They took two pretty good players before him but you don’t wait until the third round to take a guy you think will be an 8-time Pro Bowler, Super Bowl Champion, Man of the Year, etc.

you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

I’m not trying to tear down Ben, either.

Buuuut, his last few playoff games, he’s been a turnover machine. The Browns loss and the Jags loss have a lot to do with digging ourselves into a three-touchdown deficit.

On the flip side, a few years ago, Ben made it to the AFCCG with fourth string receivers. Same goes for the game that Toussaint fumbled away. Probably two of Ben’s most impressive post-season performances.

Speaking of injuries, Ben, Bell, & AB played in ONE playoff game together: the aforementioned Jags debacle. While they had the talent in the regular season, for whatever reason, either Bell or AB (or both) were injured.

In 2005, Ben had the best playoff run in history… followed by the worst Super Bowl. We don’t win XLIII without Ben’s final drive. And, I still say that Manny Sanders being injured early in XLV cost us that game (e.g. Randle El ran the wrong route on the final drive).

I should have been far clearer in my earlier rant. I believe, and can NOT prove, that there is always at least one guy in every draft year that COULD be a really good NFL QB. Too many never get a shot, go undrafted, languish on the bench, or get broken by bad teams with dumb coaches.

My answer is that teams need to coach better and identify talent better. They are absolutely atrocious at doing so. When the scouting "consensus" is that there are significant and severe questions on whether Brady, Mahomes, Rodgers, and Wilson would succeed in the NFL (many questioned Ben R as well) -- well, then the dudes you have scouting QBs and the evaluation system they are using is just a tick above useless.

I should have been far clearer in my earlier rant. I believe, and can NOT prove, that there is always at least one guy in every draft year that COULD be a really good NFL QB. Too many never get a shot, go undrafted, languish on the bench, or get broken by bad teams with dumb coaches.

My answer is that teams need to coach better and identify talent better. They are absolutely atrocious at doing so. When the scouting "consensus" is that there are significant and severe questions on whether Brady, Mahomes, Rodgers, and Wilson would succeed in the NFL (many questioned Ben R as well) -- well, then the dudes you have scouting QBs and the evaluation system they are using is just a tick above useless.
    Agreed

Merry Christmas

Quote Originally Posted by NCSteeler View Post
    I'm seriously not trying to tear Ben down. I'm just saying those teams were not devoid of talent. 2004-6 one of the best o lines Steelers ever had. Bettis, Ward, heath, sandoobio, mendenhall. Now with that said they wouldn't have won those SBs with Jay Cutler

But Trent dilfer?

Oh, for sure. I guess, for me, "carrying a team" does not just mean that you are the only guy with any talent on the roster. The rest of the roster can be oozing with All-Pros...but a QB (or some other player for that matter) can still sometimes carry a team.

Ben R has carried the Steelers at points.
    Bettis has carried the Steelers at points.
    Polamalu carried the Steelers at points.
    James Harrison carried the Steelers at points.
    Watt and Heyward do it now.

Oh, for sure. I guess, for me, "carrying a team" does not just mean that you are the only guy with any talent on the roster. The rest of the roster can be oozing with All-Pros...but a QB (or some other player for that matter) can still sometimes carry a team.

Ben R has carried the Steelers at points.
    Bettis has carried the Steelers at points.
    Polamalu carried the Steelers at points.
    James Harrison carried the Steelers at points.
    Watt and Heyward do it now.
    All true, nothing more impressive than watching a player take over a game. Santonio even had a few games where he was just in that zone

Merry Christmas

Senior Member Array title="EzraTank has a reputation beyond repute"> EzraTank's Avatar

Been watching Jordan Davis today. He has been nonexistent, pass.

Senior Member Array title="Steeler-in-west has a reputation beyond repute"> Steeler-in-west's Avatar

Truth!

the Steelers have been looking for a diamond in the rough QB (outside the top half of the 1st round) ever since Bradshaw. It hasn’t happened yet. They don’t seem to have that luck or evaluation skills that a few other teams have had. It’s not doom and gloom it’s their track record. I’d prefer they go for the better odds and get a QB within or as close as possible to the top 15.

Quote Originally Posted by Steeler-in-west View Post
    the Steelers have been looking for a diamond in the rough QB (outside the top half of the 1st round) ever since Bradshaw. It hasn’t happened yet. They don’t seem to have that luck or evaluation skills that a few other teams have had. It’s not doom and gloom it’s their track record. I’d prefer they go for the better odds and get a QB within or as close as possible to the top 15.
    Since 2004 the Steelers havent been looking for a franchise QB, they have been looking for a good #2 to back up Ben. Now they have to look for a new QB for 2022 season.

This is from the Vikings beat reporter on the Athletic:

Cousins followed his worst game of the season last week with more struggles, more checkdowns and more conservative decisions.

I’m not making it up. Despite the counting stats, Vikings watchers almost universally blame Cousins for significant parts of their consistent underperforming.