Thread: is Butler really the DC or is he just a face to the job ?

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

is Butler really the DC or is he just a face to the job ?

When it comes to rumors about the Pittsburgh Steelers, we typically take everything with a grain of salt.

But when a reporter as respected as NFL Network’s Aditi Kinkhabwala shares inside information about the Steelers, you have to give it a listen.
    According to Andrew Fillipponi of 97.3 TheFan, Kinkhabwala offered up this juicy little tidbit that really sheds some light on the Steelers’ coaching situation.Kinkhabwala said that defensive coordinator Keith Butler has never designed or called a defense while serving as the DC of the Steelers. Really?

This feels like a really big deal if it is legitimate. And again, we take all these sorts of things with a grain of salt, but Kinkhabwala is well respected around the NFL and has no motivation to fabricate this. The logical conclusion here is if Butler isn’t running the defense, head coach Mike Tomlin must be. Not necessarily a bad thing, but it does change the perception of both Butler and Tomlin.

But I want to pass the question off to all of you. Do you believe this, and depending on yes or no, what does it say about the Steelers? Let us know in the comments below.

.@AKinkhabwala on @937theFan on the state of the Steelers downtrodden defense: "Keith Butler has never designed or called a defense in his entire time as Steelers defensive coordinator."
    — Andrew Fillipponi (@ThePoniExpress) November 29, 2021

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl...edgdhp&pc=U531
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Re: is Butler really the DC or is he just a face to the job ?

I have no faith in anything Aditi says. That said, Tomlin likely calls the game. The same is true offensively for some teams and their head coaches. Whoever is in charge, it sucks!

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Side note: Aditi is on some type of personal vendetta against Tomlin.

As far as the tweet, I think it's been well known Tomlin calls the defense since about 2017 or so. I'd have to find the article.

Well there you have it... Array title="NCSteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> NCSteeler's Avatar

So I guess he just calls a game by memory ? I don't think I've ever seen Tomlin with a play chart on the sidelines

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
    Merry Christmas

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NCSteeler View Post
    So I guess he just calls a game by memory ? I don't think I've ever seen Tomlin with a play chart on the sidelines

Did you see ever see Butlers play chart? Its a 3x5 card with something written on one side. Probably his golf score card.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

There is no way Tomlin is calling the plays unless he is a super genius and has a play chart in his head for each week. It’s hard to call the plays without a play chart and with your hands in your pockets.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

That’s about the same size index card that Butler is carrying around…

you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

that's tecmo bowl playbook. Run 1, pass 1, pass 2, pass 3

though with our OL play it's almost like the opponent is correctly picking our play every time

Well there you have it... Array title="NCSteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> NCSteeler's Avatar

You got any pictures of him looking at it and talking Into his headset?
    I appreciate you finding these because I really feel like I rarely see him and the sheet. But I now see it's folded like a map , I probably wouldn't notice that much

Merry Christmas

The defense must be quite simple, in zooming I find most of that card to be blank

Merry Christmas

Drvlspwr Array title="Steel Peon has a reputation beyond repute"> Steel Peon's Avatar

I see Butler doing a few things here and there on the sidelines, like occasionally talking into a microphone, but I mostly see him standing like a statue with that same dumb look on his face.
    “They say you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone. So I got rid of everything to see what I had.” ~ Steven Wright

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

The defense must be quite simple, in zooming I find most of that card to be blank

That explains a lot!

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

looks like his golf scorecard.

Senior Member Array title="Drazo85 has a reputation beyond repute"> Drazo85's Avatar
    Tetris Champion! Jungle Fruit Champion!

In his football life, James Harrison mentioned how "Keith's ass is tight on game days." Don't know if that has something to do with it.

Послато са Redmi Note 9 Pro помоћу Тапатока

Quote Originally Posted by Drazo85 View Post
    In his football life, James Harrison mentioned how "Keith's ass is tight on game days." Don't know if that has something to do with it.

Послато са Redmi Note 9 Pro помоћу Тапатока

I said from the day he was hired I didn't trust him to get the calls in with his slow deliberate verbiage . add in nerves ( if you are a nervous type) and that could be a disaster

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

I said from the day he was hired I didn't trust him to get the calls in with his slow deliberate verbiage . add in nerves ( if you are a nervous type) and that could be a disaster

I remember that very well.