Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Was It Over When the Germans Bombed Pearl Harbor!?!

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Was It Over When the Germans Bombed Pearl Harbor!?!

Yesterday’s loss was the worst loss I’ve experienced in a long, long while. But, it’s been a day… time for me to move on. Looking at the playoff picture and doing some simple math, I started noticing some really strange things.

In the NFC, the Steelers would be the 7th seed. That doesn’t help us with actually making the playoffs (duh), but it’s important to note that ten NFC teams will likely take the top ten spots in the draft. In fact, right now, the Steelers would be picking 16th. Yep. The odds of the Steelers losing out and also getting a “top ten” pick are not very likely.

In the AFC, the Steelers are currently tied for the 8th seed. The bottom half of the AFC isn’t much better than the NFC. So, again, unless we lose out, the odds of us getting a “top ten” pick are not as easy as one would assume.

In three weeks, the Steelers could be the #1 seed in the AFC. Likely: not at all. Possible: yes. In a word: parity.

In three weeks, the Steelers could be the #14 seed in the AFC. Likely: not really. Possible: yes. It still wouldn’t get us into the “top ten”… because, we’d still be the #7 seed in the NFC. (The NFC is really, really bad this season.)

If things play out correctly this weekend, the Steelers could be the #6 seed in the AFC. As putrid as the three past games have been (tie, heartbreaking loss, getting mud stomped), the Steelers are right in the thick of things in the playoff race.

SUMMATION:
    The Steelers aren’t getting a “top ten” pick. The last playoff team will be picking 19th… and the Steelers are currently picking 16th, which isn’t a vast difference in slotting. The crazy way that the NFL is this year, if the Steelers can get into the playoffs, they have a chance to do some damage. Really. This season’s championship is going to come down to which team is a) healthiest, and b) playing the hottest.

In other words, the odds are better to get into the playoffs and make a run (than they are that we get a “top ten” pick). So, we might as well hope to win out… at least, I know that’s what I’m hoping to see happen.

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

Re: Was It Over When the Germans Bombed Pearl Harbor!?!

problem I have is this ...

they can't win out and they won't lose out..

looking at the remaining games I see 3-3 as best case scenario but more likely 2-4 putting them out of playoff contention and out of the top 12 ... and Tomlin for the record finished the season with a likely 7-9-1 record for the first time in his coaching career sub 500 and if you think hotseat talk was ramped in the past it will ramp up even more this off season ....

as an organization we owe it to ourselves to learn more about why Tuitt has not suited up , yes I understand grief but I also understand the NFL is a business and one he is being paid a ton of $$ to play in , a year out of the game never helps a big man .... his 2020 season (Posted career-highs in sacks (11.0), tackles for loss (10) and quarterback hits (25) ) those stats are sorely missed on this 2021 defense ....... ( 18 million dollar dead cap hit and hasnt played a snap ) listed as a knee injury to miss 3 weeks ... here we are headed into week 13 ..............
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

I appreciate the optimism….

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

What I find pathetic are the people who want the team to tank for the "best pick possible."

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

problem I have is this ...

they can't win out and they won't lose out..

looking at the remaining games I see 3-3 as best case scenario but more likely 2-4 putting them out of playoff contention and out of the top 12 ... and Tomlin for the record finished the season with a likely 7-9-1 record for the first time in his coaching career sub 500 and if you think hotseat talk was ramped in the past it will ramp up even more this off season ....

as an organization we owe it to ourselves to learn more about why Tuitt has not suited up , yes I understand grief but I also understand the NFL is a business and one he is being paid a ton of $$ to play in , a year out of the game never helps a big man .... his 2020 season (Posted career-highs in sacks (11.0), tackles for loss (10) and quarterback hits (25) ) those stats are sorely missed on this 2021 defense ....... ( 18 million dollar dead cap hit and hasnt played a snap ) listed as a knee injury to miss 3 weeks ... here we are headed into week 13 ..............
    Going 2-4 would put us at around pick 15-16. Losing out gets us (at best) to pick 12-13. Getting into the playoffs gives us a chance… and even if we lose in the Wild Card round, we’d be picking at 19-20 (which isn’t significantly different than 15-16).

Which why I’m hoping to mske the playoffs. At least it’s a chance… and it only costs us 3-4 spots in the draft. I’ll take that.

A far as Tuitt goes, losing him HURT.

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
    What I find pathetic are the people who want the team to tank for the "best pick possible."
    and even worse to prove they were right!

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

They won’t tank…just not talented enough or coached well enough to win.

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Wait, I thought the Japanese invaded Normandy?

2019 to the Cheats** 33-3

2016 to the Iggles, 34-3

1989 the 2 crapfests to start the season

1979 to the Bengals 35-10

Others I can't think of right now.

Steelers have put up stinkers before. This isn't some new thing.

Senior Member Array title="Hawkman has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by tube517 View Post

2016 to the Iggles, 34-3

Let’s not forget the 2011 opener against the Ravens 35-7. I paid good money to watch that train wreck in person.

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

Don't forget the 35-7 loss to the Chargers in 1979 as well.

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

2016 to the Iggles, 34-3

They did and Bagdad Bob gave the presser.

Senior Member Array title="stillers4me has a reputation beyond repute"> stillers4me's Avatar

Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Senior Member Array title="stillers4me has a reputation beyond repute"> stillers4me's Avatar

Try living in Cincinnati when it happens.

A good friend of mine was at the famous, local Steelers bar and was an eyewitness yesterday to what happens when the Steelers lose to the Bengals. The owner has a a long time rule that during this particular game, nobody is allowed in with Bengals gear. He has had bomb threats, fights, police being called in, and Bengals fans barging in and being loud and foul mouthed in front of the families and kids that are there to watch the game.

Yesterday, a Steelers fan (male) walked in with 2 women in Bengals gear. They were politely asked to leave by the owner and one of the women started with the cussing...and then started kicking him. (The owners father, who is actually part owner himself, and is probably over 80 years old, said that he thought he knew how to swear until he heard this chick) The servers jumped over the bar to defend him and the male participant went after him, so the owner threw a punch at him.

And this is why Bengals fans can't have anything nice............this crap has been happening for years, every time the Bengals start winning.

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    Going 2-4 would put us at around pick 15-16. Losing out gets us (at best) to pick 12-13. Getting into the playoffs gives us a chance… and even if we lose in the Wild Card round, we’d be picking at 19-20 (which isn’t significantly different than 15-16).

Which why I’m hoping to mske the playoffs. At least it’s a chance… and it only costs us 3-4 spots in the draft. I’ll take that.

A far as Tuitt goes, losing him HURT.
    I would never condone tanking , but as the schedule sits they likely only ( imo ) win 2 more games 3 at best ( I hope they win all 6 ) I just do not feel it is very likely they make the playoffs ... Yesterday wasn't a MUST win but it was as close to one as you can get division game , conference games are crucial especially when you have so many teams bunched up like we are seeing this year and with a schedule that on paper is as brutal as ours looking ahead losing yesterday just wasnt an option and when you are not even competitive when so much is on the line ( and I didnt see much if any in game adjustments , down 4 TDs and running the ball in the 3rd and 4th quarter as if you was up 14 ).... IDK man but even after drinking 2 glasses of team sponsored Kool-Aid I'm just not feeling it

Senior Member Array title="Steeler-in-west has a reputation beyond repute"> Steeler-in-west's Avatar

It’s not impossible, with the way the division and conference are, the more dirt you dump on a Tomlin team the more they fight back. Also a lot depends on Watt - he was mia on Sunday - probably still not 100 percent, if he becomes healthy and causing disruption the whole team will feed off that

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

15-5-1 Baby!

Ravens Fan Extraordinaire Array title="Crow-Magnon has a reputation beyond repute"> Crow-Magnon's Avatar

You’ll get a decent opportunity to see what happens this Sunday. Which after yesterday’s games, I have no clue which Ravens or Steelers team will be on the field. Good run D? Swiss cheese OL? Weak secondary? Who the hell knows week-by-week this season? Either team could be dominant or totally suck. I would not lay money on this game unless it was a friendly straight-up “who wins” for $5.00.

Even though the Ravens are #1 in the AFCN and all of the AFC, it’s really a “don’t look at the man behind the curtain” lead. Any of the top 6-8 teams could lose two games and plummet like a rock. It’s really effed up this year.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Bottom 5 o line play.
    Bottom 10 QB play
    Terrible yards per carry
    Bad run defense
    A patch-work secondary

Are we sure that this team isn't just a 5-7 win team and that anything else was a wildly optimistic set of expectations? Like it or not, this is a team in the middle of a massive rebuild. Most often, rebuilding teams are not very good for a season or two.

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    Bottom 5 o line play.
    Bottom 10 QB play
    Terrible yards per carry
    Bad run defense
    A patch-work secondary

Are we sure that this team isn't just a 5-7 win team and that anything else was a wildly optimistic set of expectations? Like it or not, this is a team in the middle of a massive rebuild. Most often, rebuilding teams are not very good for a season or two.
    to the bold and only the bold ...

Normally THREE 1st round picks and a 3rd round pick start for us ... Minkah missed with covid ( 1 game) and Haden an ankle ( 2 games ) other than that they are starting who they thought they would ... the real issue is lack of pressure IMO we have seen next to nothing in terms of pressure as of late .... Watt lingering injury and doubled , Highsmith ?? Cam is doubled and tripled and Tuiitt is on HIGHLY paid vacation is seems

its exhausting to even watch it

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

So the window is still open?? Thats what I am hearing here?

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

Playoffs? You kiddin me? I just hope the Steelers can win a game, another game

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

to the bold and only the bold ...

Normally THREE 1st round picks and a 3rd round pick start for us ... Minkah missed with covid ( 1 game) and Haden an ankle ( 2 games ) other than that they are starting who they thought they would ... the real issue is lack of pressure IMO we have seen next to nothing in terms of pressure as of late .... Watt lingering injury and doubled , Highsmith ?? Cam is doubled and tripled and Tuiitt is on HIGHLY paid vacation is seems

its exhausting to even watch it
    Sure. Pressure helps coverage and vis versa. I wasn't even thinking about Haden. Not sure anything changes with him in the line-up. But outside of Sutton, your primary coverage players (CBs) are really not that good. Pierre is average at best. Layne can't find the field with a map. Maulet shouldn't really be left in coverage with anyone. Norwood shows promise but he is young and learning multiple positions. Minkah can't roam around and impact like he has in the past because he is stuck playing help for all these poor CBs.

Sure. Pressure helps coverage and vis versa. I wasn't even thinking about Haden. Not sure anything changes with him in the line-up. But outside of Sutton, your primary coverage players (CBs) are really not that good. Pierre is average at best. Layne can't find the field with a map. Maulet shouldn't really be left in coverage with anyone. Norwood shows promise but he is young and learning multiple positions. Minkah can't roam around and impact like he has in the past because he is stuck playing help for all these poor CBs.

gotcha , cant truly say I disagree ... Layne shouldnt be on the team and Maulet should not see the field unless its a blowout or special teams play ... I like Norwood but they put a lot on the kids plate in terms of learning and like it or not I still believe Suttons best spot is in nickle / slot .... I like Pierre but I think he is best in small doses

Senior Member Array title="that1guy is a splendid one to behold">

Who here would like to the the 2021 Steelers in a playoff game? The same squad that tied the Winless Lions and were massacred on Sunday. The last two playoff games the Steelers were in they got destroyed and those teams were arguably better than this sham of a team. At this point winning games helps the current team but hurts the franchise, picking earlier is beneficial in all rounds not just round 1.

gotcha , cant truly say I disagree ... Layne shouldnt be on the team and Maulet should not see the field unless its a blowout or special teams play ... I like Norwood but they put a lot on the kids plate in terms of learning and like it or not I still believe Suttons best spot is in nickle / slot .... I like Pierre but I think he is best in small doses
    We are pretty close to seeing this the same way. I get why the signed Maulet. Hopefully, his spot is filled by a more well-rounded Norwood next season. Or, honestly, just make that change now and let Norwood get some experience. I think Sutton can be a fine #2 CB. Even a really good one. He just isn't a #1. Reminds me of Townsend. There are just some physical tools he lacks that no amount of savvy and technique can make up for. It is the lack of guy to cover the big time #1 wideouts across the league that really hurts this team. Haden can kinda sorta do it - as long as he is backed up by precise safety play. Layne and Witherspoon exist on the roster to audition for that role...and that audition has repeatedly gone really badly.

The Steelers have been on a quest for that "big body" CB since Ike Taylor left. And before Taylor, they were looking for one since Woodson left. These players are really hard to find and really hard to develop into sustainable solutions at the position. How many guys in the NFL have like 2 good years at CB and then, seemingly overnight, just can't cover air anymore?

Senior Member Array title="Rotorhead has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    They won’t tank…just not talented enough or coached well enough to win.
    Got to at least have one of those 2

How quickly the worm has turned!

This team has gone from an ideal destination for a dissatisfied Aaron Rodgers or Russell Wilson to a hopeless rudderless franchise adrift in incompetence.

That took less than a month.

Senior Member Array title="Rotorhead has a reputation beyond repute">

This team has gone from an ideal destination for a dissatisfied Aaron Rodgers or Russell Wilson to a hopeless rudderless franchise adrift in incompetence.

I don’t know, 2 good OL fix most of the offense issues alone. DL may not need fixing if we can get Tuitt and Alualu back next season so we are looking at CB and ILB to get the defense back to being one of the best. All that is fixable next off season if things go our way (our way being getting back Alualu and/or Tuitt).

Senior Member Array title="RunNGun has a reputation beyond repute"> RunNGun's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shoes View Post
    and even worse to prove they were right!
    I'm always right

Some of us saw the disaster as a whole early on…

Still a nice core that Rodgers would help.