Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bengals Postgame thread

Senior Member Array title="Edman has a reputation beyond repute">

Bengals Postgame thread

No heroes or goats. Not much good to talk about. It speaks for itself.

Now get a big win over Baltimore next week and renew the hope. It's this team's M.O.

Senior Member Array title="The Bark is a jewel in the rough"> The Bark's Avatar

Re: Bengals Postgame thread

Didn't even bother watching the second half after the first few minutes. Can't say there's any heroes. Goats? Let's just say the entire team should be donating their paychecks to some victims of abuse-related clinic this week.

Senior Member Array title="JayC is a glorious beacon of light"> JayC's Avatar

only watched 2 minutes of the game and turned it off. great decision by me. not worth my time.

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

This team has issues and lacks any good identity , the defense sucks and the offense sucks even more .....

havent been this embarrassed by this team since a Noll Led Steelers team dropped the first 2 games of the season to the browns and bengals by something like a combined score of 52-10 or something like that
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Ladies and gentlemen…welcome to the modern retro version of the 1980’s…

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

No 8-8-1 this year, this team will be lucky to get 6 wins. Their wins have all been mostly against the trash heap of the NFL, and their win against a good team was due to a special teams TD. It seems they need those type of plays to keep them in the game vs a good team, but that also doesn't guarantee it (SD game)

Not badmouthing the team really, they just aren't that good this year, and that's really all it boils down to. They are extremely weak in the trenches on both sides of the field, and if your OL and DL sucks everything else sucks. Not to mention their secondary is trash which is 'the standard'. I haven't seen a good steeler secondary since rod woodson was playing for us. I would kill for a scouting team that could actually draft halfway decent DBs

Well there you have it... Array title="NCSteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> NCSteeler's Avatar

Most of the game looked like a preseason contest between an up an coming team taking preseason seriously and a veteran team mailing it in.

Heyward and Watt get an A for effort but didn't seem like there were any in game adjustments to all the double teams.

Ben had a decent effort I guess too.
    Why so much Snell and ballage ?

I'm not a Xs and Os kind of guy but I can see our players appear to not be open as much as other teams, is it the play designs . Also don't see much right over the middle which is specific where Bengals are weaker, is that Ben's arm doesn't have enough zip.

Looking like Green was a horrible pick.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
    Merry Christmas

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Fire Goodell View Post
    No 8-8-1 this year, this team will be lucky to get 6 wins. Their wins have all been mostly against the trash heap of the NFL, and their win against a good team was due to a special teams TD. It seems they need those type of plays to keep them in the game vs a good team, but that also doesn't guarantee it (SD game)

Not badmouthing the team really, they just aren't that good this year, and that's really all it boils down to. They are extremely weak in the trenches on both sides of the field, and if your OL and DL sucks everything else sucks. Not to mention their secondary is trash which is 'the standard'. I haven't seen a good steeler secondary since rod woodson was playing for us
    The Ike Taylor backends weren’t terrible.

I guess at this stage you hope for a 5-11-1 season? I had them pegged for 5-6 wins on the season…I also had last seasons team pegged for that neighborhood as well. I think maybe they beat Minnesota? After that, forget about it…they only beat those other teams if they play far and away above their heads and the other teams play well below their level…I mean…Nick Chubb, if healthy, should run for 240 yards…easily.

Quote Originally Posted by NCSteeler View Post
    Most of the game looked like a preseason contest between an up an coming team taking preseason seriously and a veteran team mailing it in.

Heyward and Watt get an A for effort but didn't seem like there were any in game adjustments to all the double teams.

Ben had a decent effort I guess too.
    Why so much Snell and ballage ?

I'm not a Xs and Os kind of guy but I can see our players appear to not be open as much as other teams, is it the play designs . Also don't see much right over the middle which is specific where Bengals are weaker, is that Ben's arm doesn't have enough zip.

Looking like Green was a horrible pick.

Maybe they are trying to prolong Najee’s career?

Senior Member Array title="Steeler-in-west has a reputation beyond repute"> Steeler-in-west's Avatar

This team has issues and lacks any good identity , the defense sucks and the offense sucks even more .....

havent been this embarrassed by this team since a Noll Led Steelers team dropped the first 2 games of the season to the browns and bengals by something like a combined score of 52-10 or something like that
    At least that team rebounded and went 9-5 the rest of the way and made some noise in the playoffs. I’m not sure this team can do that. Tomlin’s teams have managed to rebound with a win in the past but this year it just seems like their going to mail it in the rest of the way

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    The Ike Taylor backends weren’t terrible.

I guess at this stage you hope for a 5-11-1 season? I had them pegged for 5-6 wins on the season…I also had last seasons team pegged for that neighborhood as well. I think maybe they beat Minnesota? After that, forget about it…they only beat those other teams if they play far and away above their heads and the other teams play well below their level…I mean…Nick Chubb, if healthy, should run for 240 yards…easily.
    Well, i hope for 11-5-1 and but I don't see any realistic way that's happening. Calling 6-10-1 as the most likely outcome (I don't think they're nearly as good as any of their remaining opponents, but they make pull a lucky win out of their asses in one of them. probably one of the ravens or browns games), hopefully we get something good in the draft, but this also sucks that we've been trading picks for bums like witherspoon

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

1. Graham Barton, C, Duke 2. Ricky Pearsall, WR, Florida 3. Maason Smith, DT, LSU 3. Max Melton, CB, Rutgers 4. Blake Fisher, OT, Notre Dame 6. Tommy Eichenberg, ILB, Ohio State 6. MJ Devonshire, CB, Pittsburgh

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Steeler-in-west View Post
    At least that team rebounded and went 9-5 the rest of the way and made some noise in the playoffs. I’m not sure this team can do that. Tomlin’s teams have managed to rebound with a win in the past but this year it just seems like their going to mail it in the rest of the way
    if so then sit guys that are playing on the mend ( TJ ), put Harris in the garage , give Heyward more rest .. don't wear guys out for nothing , dont shorten their careers for nothing ..

that said I do not believe they are going to tank intentionally , I just do not think they have the tools needed to get the job done ...

They need better interior line play on both sides of the ball ... getting pushed around at the LOS ... Wormley is a good backup 3-4 end but he isnt a NT he just isnt ... he cant take on the double team and eat space its not his fault he has been put in that pos but either way it isnt working ... he isnt Hargrave , Hamptom or even Alualu ... hell he isnt even Buggs .... so they get push as an offense up the middle and that ruins any chance at stopping the run game regardless of where the run is designed ot go ...

same can be said with the interior O-line , Green isnt getting it done , I am not impressed with Turner and Dotson is on IR but even he wasnt playing up to the level we witnessed him flash as a rookie ... and Okorafor just isnt a very sound tackle , he makes a lot of mental errors and is just average at best as a player can be that has like ZERO mean streak ....I have hope for Dan Moore but he is a rookie and shouldnt be spoken of as the best lineman but even with his rookie warts he just might be ????

when you can not control any aspect of the line of scrimmage you get man handled and we are getting just that
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

Senior Member Array title="Lady Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Lady Steel's Avatar

We had family and friends over to watch the game. Everyone left all pissed off. I sure hope it wasn't my hostess with the mostess skills.

Senior Member Array title="Rotorhead has a reputation beyond repute">

Wouldn’t it be nice to have some coordinators who know how to scheme? I mean it was obvious on Cincy’s first drive they were going to double Heyward and run that way, I get it, take Watt out of the game. But I recall LAC moving their best defender into the plays so he could be disruptive, we just don’t seem to be able to change our plan in game. Same with the offense, it was obvious they were just going to work on stopping the run up the middle, so we just run up the middle . . . I am not saying they would have done much better doing something else, but we know for sure doing the same thing doesn’t work. At some point they have to start at least trying to do something else. Granted, I went to hang Xmas lights at 24-3, but maybe they should have sold out to stop the run, or blitzed almost every play to stop the pass, instead we did neither and from what I saw Cincy moved the ball at will.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

What’s the difference between Najee Harris and Benny Snell? 0.4 yards. Ok, that’s not fair since it’s one game. So the difference for the season is 0.7 yards. I don’t see much with Najee. I know people on here think he’s the second coming of Jim Brown, but I’ll stick with my assessment until he proves me wrong.

Well there you have it... Array title="NCSteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> NCSteeler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    What’s the difference between Najee Harris and Benny Snell? 0.4 yards. Ok, that’s not fair since it’s one game. So the difference for the season is 0.7 yards. I don’t see much with Najee. I know people on here think he’s the second coming of Jim Brown, but I’ll stick with my assessment until he proves me wrong.
    Jm Brown would have to throw himself a block then take the hand off with This o line. What u see fro Harris that I don't see from any of our other backs is shiftiness and determination. Now does that get you 100 yard a game nope, not with this shit show up front green seems like a busy already

Merry Christmas

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Drvlspwr Array title="Steel Peon has a reputation beyond repute"> Steel Peon's Avatar

The Steelers are consistently not ready to play winning football, and today was no exception, with the issues starting at the top then spiraling downwards into a commode full of crappy play that won't flush.
    “They say you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone. So I got rid of everything to see what I had.” ~ Steven Wright

Senior Member Array title="Steeler-in-west has a reputation beyond repute"> Steeler-in-west's Avatar

Najee needs a chance to show what he can do with a decent line, and a QB that is a threat to burn defenses deep.

Senior Member Array title="pepsyman1 has much to be proud of"> pepsyman1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Peon View Post
    The Steelers are consistently not ready to play winning football, and today was no exception, with the issues starting at the top then spiraling downwards into a commode full of crappy play that won't flush.
    You're only saying that cuz it's true...lol

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Najee needs a chance to show what he can do with a decent line, and a QB that is a threat to burn defenses deep.
    Maybe Bennie Snell will be an all-pro then too.

if so then sit guys that are playing on the mend ( TJ ), put Harris in the garage , give Heyward more rest .. don't wear guys out for nothing , dont shorten their careers for nothing ..

that said I do not believe they are going to tank intentionally , I just do not think they have the tools needed to get the job done ...

They need better interior line play on both sides of the ball ... getting pushed around at the LOS ... Wormley is a good backup 3-4 end but he isnt a NT he just isnt ... he cant take on the double team and eat space its not his fault he has been put in that pos but either way it isnt working ... he isnt Hargrave , Hamptom or even Alualu ... hell he isnt even Buggs .... so they get push as an offense up the middle and that ruins any chance at stopping the run game regardless of where the run is designed ot go ...

same can be said with the interior O-line , Green isnt getting it done , I am not impressed with Turner and Dotson is on IR but even he wasnt playing up to the level we witnessed him flash as a rookie ... and Okorafor just isnt a very sound tackle , he makes a lot of mental errors and is just average at best as a player can be that has like ZERO mean streak ....I have hope for Dan Moore but he is a rookie and shouldnt be spoken of as the best lineman but even with his rookie warts he just might be ????

when you can not control any aspect of the line of scrimmage you get man handled and we are getting just that
    agreed about the line of scrimmage. They need to do something on both sides of the line. And they need to find out if Tuitt is coming back. Green should’ve been better than this by now. Bush is another guy from the second line of defense who is a big disappointment- and lastly schoberts comments about practice not being taken seriously is disturbing - Tomlin should take that really seriously

- - - Updated - - -

Maybe Bennie Snell will be an all-pro then too.
    you really don’t think much of Harris. What would you do then? Trade him?

Senior Member Array title="EzraTank has a reputation beyond repute"> EzraTank's Avatar

Now guys don't be too negative.

you really don’t think much of Harris. What would you do then? Trade him?
    You know I was on board with the pick, but I just don't like what I see for the most part. He doesn't look special to me. My big, on the record, concern before the draft was that he didn't run a 40. I felt like he was hiding something and I really don't think he has the speed to be an elite back. I think he can have two or three 1,000 yard years but I don't think he's a second contract RB. Then again, I don't think many are worth a second contract after the wheels have been run off.

You know I was on board with the pick, but I just don't like what I see for the most part. He doesn't look special to me. My big, on the record, concern before the draft was that he didn't run a 40. I felt like he was hiding something and I really don't think he has the speed to be an elite back. I think he can have two or three 1,000 yard years but I don't think he's a second contract RB. Then again, I don't think many are worth a second contract after the wheels have been run off.
    We've recently drafted many not second contract guys, but I think najee will be on board a while

Merry Christmas

Quote Originally Posted by NCSteeler View Post
    We've recently drafted many not second contract guys, but I think najee will be on board a while

I'd never approve of signing a RB to a lucrative second contract after 4-5 years of heavy usage. How often does that pay off?

I'd never approve of signing a RB to a lucrative second contract after 4-5 years of heavy usage. How often does that pay off?
    Nearly never. But at the current pace his second deal won't be lucrative. Lol

Merry Christmas

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by EzraTank View Post
    Now guys don't be too negative.
    we held Joe Mixon to under 200 yards

Renegade. Array title="bayz101 has a reputation beyond repute"> bayz101's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteeler View Post
    we held Joe Mixon to under 200 yards
    And only 100 in the first half!!