View Poll Results: Who would YOU choose?

Voters
26. You may not vote on this poll
  • QB: Pickett/Howell, Pitt/UNC

11 42.31%
  • C: Tyler Linderbaum, Iowa

6 23.08%
  • OG: Kenyon Green, Texas A&M

2 7.69%
  • NT/DT: Jordan “Sweet Feet” Davis, Georgia

3 11.54%
  • CB: pick one

1 3.85%
  • ILB: Brandon Smith, Penn St.

0 0%
  • WR: Drake London, USC

0 0%
  • OT: pick one

1 3.85%
  • OLB: Drake Jackson, USC

0 0%
  • other

2 7.69%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Mid-Season Mock Draft

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Re: Mid-Season Mock Draft

Thanks Teegre, we'll see.

This is not a 'blame injuries' comment or post. Thread topic is mock draft, which I take to be position more than actual player at this early stage. However, there are some very real injuries making some very real impact on this Steelers team currently.
    1. Does a healthy TJ, Tuitt and Alualu change the stature and effectiveness of this front 7? Should the Steelers look to a Jordan Davis or DeMarvin Leal to add to a DL that is struggling?
    2. ALWAYS look to add quality LBs.
    3. This defense needs to invest in CBs. I personally feel the Safeties and NB are strong positions but would not object if an upgrade comes along.

On the defensive side of the ball this team needs to find another pass rusher, and upgrades and better depth at CB. Just my opinion.

1. The OL has not improved nearly enough for my liking. If you want to improve on the run game you must be able to move defenders out of running lanes. You build an OL from inside to out. The Steelers need people movers all across the line.
    2. Tough call on QB. Maybe Ben IS the bridge QB some of you have been talking about. ??? I just don't know if there is anyone in this draft that will upgrade this position. On one hand, what we have behind Ben will not work. Not currently anyway. And I'm not sure putting a 6'1" 200lb rookie back there is going to help either.
    3. WR/RB/TE...Yes, adding another of any of these to compliment, upgrade, upgrade depth, or simply replace some 'dead weight' is always a very good idea.

This offense needs to upgrade the overall strength, nastiness, and power football that has always characterized the Steelers, starting with the OL. Just my opinion.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

@Born2Steel (part 1)

1. You might be correct that Leal is more of what we currently use (a Heyward/Tuitt clone). But, man alive!!! I really like Jordan Davis.

2. Indeed. Loudermilk is gonna be phenomenal. But, after him, there are plenty of really, really good centers to be had on Day 2 of the draft. Ergo, doing D-line and then O-line makes a ton of sense.

3. I’m hopeful that Banner can return. Some day. But, Yes, at the very least we need to improve our depth.

4. My gut says it’s gonna be Pickett. But, Ridder in a later round would be a good value… and… the Steelers were at him game this past weekend. Strong is all over people’s boards, because (as you said) his knee might keep him from ever being as mobile as Ben currently is. Yikes!!!

5. Indeed. It would be difficult to kiss on any of the top four CBs… and there are going to be 20 that will get drafted in the first four rounds that will positively impact their future team.

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    @Born2Steel (part 1)

5. Indeed. It would be difficult to kiss on any of the top four CBs… and there are going to be 20 that will get drafted in the first four rounds that will positively impact their future team.

you can try an kiss em if ya wanna .. but don't mind me I'll pass on that lmao
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you can try an kiss em if ya wanna .. but don't mind me I'll pass on that lmao
    Bwahaha!!! I’m channeling my inner Joe Namath.

@Born2Steel (part 2)

A healthy TJ makes a world of difference. Alualu hurt, but the salt in the wound is Tuitt. Tuitt was a top-five ranked DT/DE the past two seasons( it’s why we were able to let Hargrave go. Alas, not having any of those three has hurt us considerably. Teams have doubled Heyward; sealed him off, and the run away from a hobbled Watt. Bush has been in position to make the plays (which have been siphoned towards him), but everybody knows he’s WHO you target as a offense. Which is my way of saying that a change at ILB is needed, as well… that, or Bush needs to make a huge leap mentally.

Senior Member Array title="Rotorhead has a reputation beyond repute">

Agreed on Bush, my hope is that Alualu will be back next season along with Tuitt and we won’t have to use draft capital on the DL. Then we can focus on the OL, ILB and CB in that order. Maybe we bring Ben back for one more year and draft his replacement next year or just go with what we have and draft one next year. But fixing the OL is probably our biggest issue followed by ILB and CB as the second issue. Maybe we can pick up a solid Haden replacement in FA.
    If for some reason Strong falls to Rnd 2, I would certainly take him there, but I would like a more mobile QB.

Of course none of this makes a difference if we still have Canada.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Can we draft 2 new coordinators? And an o-line coach?

Several mock drafts have the Steelers selecting Tyler Linderbaum… and moving Green to RG.

We have been heard!!!

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

I would be okay with that if Green were able to play RG well. It would be nice to have him there as a back up center as well. I would have on request though…he’s have to give the “53” back…he’s doing those digits dirty…

you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="EzraTank has a reputation beyond repute"> EzraTank's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RunNGun View Post
    I like Linderbaum at 15. I'd like to see them build the Oline first, so that our next QB has something to work with. It really just depends on what they do in free agency. If they sign a couple solid OL then I'd be all for drafting a QB. There's a definitely a lot of holes on this team and some of them will be filled with all the cap space we will have.
    Coming here to post this. There is no sense in drafting a QB if our line remains the same. We NEED to rebuild our line so we can draft/lure a FA QB here. There is no way in hell a decent guy like Rodgers would EVER want to play behind this line.

Well there you have it... Array title="NCSteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> NCSteeler's Avatar

Several mock drafts have the Steelers selecting Tyler Linderbaum… and moving Green to RG.

We have been heard!!!
    CBS has him going tenth overall, draft central says he's too light at likely less than 290 and will need a team to fall in love with him to go early. If he's good ok, but if there is someone as good checking in at 310 , that's better. Can his frame carry the weight and still be good. Another site said if your running a lot of zone blocking he's definitely your guy.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
    Merry Christmas

Quote Originally Posted by NCSteeler View Post
    CBS has him going tenth overall, draft central says he's too light at likely less than 290 and will need a team to fall in love with him to go early. If he's good ok, but if there is someone as good checking in at 310 , that's better. Can his frame carry the weight and still be good. Another site said if your running a lot of zone blocking he's definitely your guy.

Good question. I heard one of the NFL O-line experts (Baldinger maybe?) talking about how teams will be scared off by a center who is less than 300 lbs. The analyst said that Linderbaum plays strong, takes great angles, and has excellent technique. Basically: Linderbaum is worthy of being a legit “top ten” pick that will indeed drop into the late teens.

I know that we are all worried about having another “smaller” center, but I feel Green’s problem is snapping and then trying to block; he’s only done it for around ten games total in his entire life. When Green is only having to block (at RG) he’ll be very good. Bringing that back to this draft, Linderbaum has already learned how to snap AND then block, because he’s done it for years. (Make sense?)

The analyst said Linderbaum is more of a Dawson or Pouncey type of center: athletic, quick, with good technique.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Ben said in an interview that Green should be moved to guard and that when that happens, he will be very good at that position. He also said that Moore has an ankle injury which has been a problem.

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Ben said in an interview that Green should be moved to guard and that when that happens, he will be very good at that position. He also said that Moore has an ankle injury which has been a problem.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteeler View Post
    Based purely off Ben's comments here, if going 1st round OL the Steelers need a Center. Or maybe a RT. Lots of shiny prospects to look through.

Teegre s draft is looking better and better…

We pick 20th.

Scouts have been watching tape on Tyler Linderbaum. Suddenly every mock has him going Top Ten.

Conversely, Kenyon Green is dropping (as mocks are inserting every receiver and quarterback imaginable into R1). Kenyon is the best OG in this draft, but I’m certain Kendrick moves to RG.

Jordan Davis is a risky pick. (I can give more details if you want).

We could draft Naboke Dean (ILB, Georgia) or one of the many cornerbacks who could start immediately.

Currently, my hope is to draft Trevor Penning, RT, Northern Iowa

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

I'm not big on the idea but at this point I would be pretty surprised if the #20 overall pick wasn't a QB.

Let's see what they do in free agency when it comes to the o-line and ILB. They should have a good amount of money to spend if they decide to.
    1. Graham Barton, C, Duke 2. Ricky Pearsall, WR, Florida 3. Maason Smith, DT, LSU 3. Max Melton, CB, Rutgers 4. Blake Fisher, OT, Notre Dame 6. Tommy Eichenberg, ILB, Ohio State 6. MJ Devonshire, CB, Pittsburgh

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

We pick 20th.

we usually only draft Power-5 players in the first round.

Senior Member Array title="that1guy is a splendid one to behold">

The Steelers traded up to get Bush, trade up to get a QB that will give this team a chance to win.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackAndGold View Post
    I'm not big on the idea but at this point I would be pretty surprised if the #20 overall pick wasn't a QB.

Let's see what they do in free agency when it comes to the o-line and ILB. They should have a good amount of money to spend if they decide to.
    Months ago, I had that exact same gut feeling. Currently, I think they simply roll with Rudolph.

I’d throw a large amount of money at Orlando Brown, Jr. I’m a huge fan of Dan Moore, but if I can get a franchise LT, I’d move Moore to RT in a heartbeat.

Then, I’d hope for Linderbaum at 20 (but expect Patterson in R2). In turn, I could see them drafting an ILB at 20.

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteeler View Post
    we usually only draft Power-5 players in the first round.
    True … hmmm

Well there you have it... Array title="NCSteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> NCSteeler's Avatar

Months ago, I had that exact same gut feeling. Currently, I think they simply roll with Rudolph.

I’d throw a large amount of money at Orlando Brown, Jr. I’m a huge fan of Dan Moore, but if I can get a franchise LT, I’d move Moore to RT in a heartbeat.

Then, I’d hope for Linderbaum at 20 (but expect Patterson in R2). In turn, I could see them drafting an ILB at 20.
    That would be a dream scenario . Fix the lines , the rest will get better. Wait for the right QB.

After reading an article about how Many treated Trubinski, I'm not sure I wouldn't try him out on a low rent deal

Merry Christmas

Quote Originally Posted by NCSteeler View Post
    That would be a dream scenario . Fix the lines , the rest will get better. Wait for the right QB.

After reading an article about how Many treated Trubinski, I'm not sure I wouldn't try him out on a low rent deal
    Right!!! Fix the O-line this year, see what Rudolph can do, and then get your QB in the 2023 draft (which appears to be a much better class).

We have Mason under contract... and that is it. So, we will need to add someone. Adding Trubisky is a Colbert type of free agent signing: former R1 pick who failed elsewhere given a chance to succeed here.

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

I was against drafting a QB , but have been coming around to the idea that if we did draft someone who can challenge the whole field and give you some mobility at that same time keeping defenders honest with our young core of players PF , Harris , and our stable of wideouts who can be fire or dumpster fire ..... we could potentially continue to compete and maybe make some noise in the post season sooner rather than later ...

spend some of that FA $$ on a corner and a DE who can play 5 tech like Aaron Smith or a Tuitt clone because I just do not know if he ever returns and if he does having more rotation is always a good thing ...

Draft Sam Howell and lets solidify the def so he can compete without having to score 30 each and every week ....
    Last edited by Dwinsgames; 01-17-2022 at 05:27 PM.
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

Member Array title="Devil's D will become famous soon enough">

With the 20th pick, the Pittsburgh Steeler select Desmond Ridder, QB University of Cincinnati

We pick 20th.

Scouts have been watching tape on Tyler Linderbaum. Suddenly every mock has him going Top Ten.

Conversely, Kenyon Green is dropping (as mocks are inserting every receiver and quarterback imaginable into R1). Kenyon is the best OG in this draft, but I’m certain Kendrick moves to RG.

Jordan Davis is a risky pick. (I can give more details if you want).

We could draft Naboke Dean (ILB, Georgia) or one of the many cornerbacks who could start immediately.

There is a new player to the party from a non-power5 school:

Bernhard Raimann, C. Michigan, 6'7"-305lbs. Don't know if better suited for LT or RT. Still looking for more info. So far Kyle Crabbs of TheDraftNetwork gives him a 1st/2nd round grade though.

I would prefer a FA CB and ILB, but only if they are good FA pickups, like top tier. Then draft an OL and DL in the first 2 rounds of the draft should shore up our biggest needs. Then for QB I honestly don’t care if they go for Mason next season or try to get a stopgap like Trubisky or (my preference) Minshew. Let the new additions get a chance to gel before we draft a franchise QB (or maybe who ever they pick up prices to be a solid guy).

Quote Originally Posted by Rotorhead View Post
    I would prefer a FA CB and ILB, but only if they are good FA pickups, like top tier. Then draft an OL and DL in the first 2 rounds of the draft should shore up our biggest needs. Then for QB I honestly don’t care if they go for Mason next season or try to get a stopgap like Trubisky or (my preference) Minshew. Let the new additions get a chance to gel before we draft a franchise QB (or maybe who ever they pick up prices to be a solid guy).
    I see several holes and only two "impact" draft spots (R1 and R2).

I have mentioned throwing a bag of money at Orlando Brown, Jr. I would also be highly in favor of veraciously going after Jalen Ramsey (I think that he will be a cap casualty). That is two positions filled via free agency... leaving only ILB and center to go after in the draft.

Of course, if we sign a free agent ILB and center, then we would target a RT and CB in the draft. (You get the point...)

I see several holes and only two "impact" draft spots (R1 and R2).

I have mentioned throwing a bag of money at Orlando Brown, Jr. I would also be highly in favor of veraciously going after Jalen Ramsey (I think that he will be a cap casualty). That is two positions filled via free agency... leaving only ILB and center to go after in the draft.

Of course, if we sign a free agent ILB and center, then we would target a RT and CB in the draft. (You get the point...)
    That is what I was saying, may not have come out that way. I see us as having 5 major holes to fill (C/G, DL, ILB, CB and QB) Draft 2 and FA 2 and have a plan for QB. We have other holes, but fix those spots and most of our issues are solved. I am assuming we either get Alualu or Tuitt back for another season and Bush will be back to 100% next season, or at least solid. I would rather FA a CB cause we suck at drafting CBs. If Alualu/Tuitt comes back, draft a DL and rotate for experience. That leaves ILB and OL, given that scenario I would rather FA an OL and draft an ILB because we need the vet leadership more along the OL.