View Poll Results: Who would YOU choose?

Voters
26. You may not vote on this poll
  • QB: Pickett/Howell, Pitt/UNC

11 42.31%
  • C: Tyler Linderbaum, Iowa

6 23.08%
  • OG: Kenyon Green, Texas A&M

2 7.69%
  • NT/DT: Jordan “Sweet Feet” Davis, Georgia

3 11.54%
  • CB: pick one

1 3.85%
  • ILB: Brandon Smith, Penn St.

0 0%
  • WR: Drake London, USC

0 0%
  • OT: pick one

1 3.85%
  • OLB: Drake Jackson, USC

0 0%
  • other

2 7.69%
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Mid-Season Mock Draft

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Mid-Season Mock Draft

Based on their current record, the Steelers are picking at around 15. (We all know that they will actually be picking at 32, but that’s not the point.) Based on current needs, who would you take at 15??? When I say “you” I mean if you were the GM… not what you think Colbert might do.

QB: Kenny Pickett is the local guy who seems to have put it all together. Sam Howell seems to be Colbert’s quarterback du jour (like it or not).

C: move Kendrick Green to RG, plug Tyler Linderbaum in a C, win on three!!!

OG: Kenyon Green is the best interior lineman in the draft. Doubtful he drops this far, but hey, this is all hypothetical anyway.

NT/DT: Jordan Davis is my current man crush (sorry, Kenyon). I have joked about him playing RB, but the truth is that he is extremely agile for a 330 lbs. man.

CB: there are a TON. I don’t trust Colbert to choose a corner, but since YOU are making the choice, write in who you’d pick.

ILB: Bush looks done. Schobert might be kept around. Spillane is doubly but limited. This (once again) is a need. SMH

Here are some outliers…

WR: Drake London is a nightmare. Whomever drafts him can expect 100 for 1200 for a decade. With JuJu gone and DJ becoming a free agent, this is a legit “possibility”.

OT: Chukks is a free agent. Banner can’t get healthy.

OLB: You can’t have too many.

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

Re: Mid-Season Mock Draft

ok using your premise that selecting a Center would enable us to move Green to Guard ( still think he is to light in the pants )

I go that route only because a rookie QB behind THIS current line would end up like David Carr smashed into oblivion and giving him a lifetime of deer in the headlights look to never be seen as the guy whom he once was again ...

get a solid line , a solid Running game with a premier TE and now you have something a young QB can join and be successful , early success instills confidence and confidence is a killer of defenses
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

I like the C and then Green to guard idea. But I went a different way...NT. I know. I know. I have spent years railing against taking a NT this high. BUT...I am coming around for two reasons:

1. The team seems to want to play more base than ever before. This means the NT is actually on the field for enough snaps to warrant the investment at the position.
    2. Spillane, Bush, Schoebert, and I'm gonna assume Buddy J based on size -- all stink at sifting through traffic and getting to the ball carrier. So we are back to the old school Steelers NT need. Take up some darn space and occupy as many interior OL as possible.

So drafting this one position...might unlock 2-3 others on defense. That's bang for your buck.

Well there you have it... Array title="NCSteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> NCSteeler's Avatar

I fix a line , either one. I'd prefer a center and then a DL. Our D line is rotating guys that are just ok . But like stated a solid lineman makes the LBera behind them much better

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
    Merry Christmas

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

NCSteeler, mojoUW, and I are all in agreement. That said, I can absolutely get on board with Dwins’s draft pick, as well. (It’s like choosing between caramel and chocolate: both are favorites.)

I see several have selected QB. Would any of you like to add some reasoning to those selections…

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

This team is going nowhere without a QB. Do the due diligence and find the guy under center for the next 12 years.

Member Array title="buzz998 is a jewel in the rough">

i voted QB as well. i lived through the last mistake of not taking a Pitt QB. i believe get the guy for the next 10 years. Green and Moore will have season under their belts and a season and off-season of NFL weight training. surely they will improve some. even by taking a QB in the first if you are drafting at 15 there should be some very solid OL and DL available, maybe even a solid NT. by no means am i saying "great" but solid i do believe. Colbert can't seem to fall into even a decent CB in the draft, so i say FA shop that position. ILB or OLB should be a draft pick on day 2 after getting someone to help either the O-line or D-line. maybe they get lucky and land a compensatory pick in rd 3 as well.

as for WR, i'd love to see them try to retain JuJu and Johnson. those 2 with Claypool and PF at TE offer a lot of firepower. i'd also like to see them kick some tires of a RB in FA. someone that actually has proven they can at least play in the NFL, not looking for a superstar but simply a guy who can give Harris a breather now and again and not look like he shouldn't be on an NFL field.

i know that is a lot of FA searching and some in-house FA signing but i think it could be done with a rookie QB contract.

or i could just simply be out of my mind and all wrong....

Senior Member Array title="RunNGun has a reputation beyond repute"> RunNGun's Avatar

I like Linderbaum at 15. I'd like to see them build the Oline first, so that our next QB has something to work with. It really just depends on what they do in free agency. If they sign a couple solid OL then I'd be all for drafting a QB. There's a definitely a lot of holes on this team and some of them will be filled with all the cap space we will have.

Member Array title="buzz998 is a jewel in the rough">

i'm a firm believer in QB play can elevate the players around them. look what Ben did with his previous O-lines. it's probably easier to draft very good o-linemen later in the draft than drafting a possible franchise QB later in the draft.

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

Big fan of Linderbaum but they believe in Green. Even with his 'so so' moments this year, we still don't know what we have in him as a center since Green is still new to the position He would be worse as a guard Imo with his lack of length. Like Moore, they will let him grow and hope he takes a jump in year 2.

Jordan Davis is my favorite defensive player. Big DT that can move. Adding him with an aging/prime Heyward, hopefully healthy Tuitt, and a upcoming Loudermilk, the D-line could be the best in the NFL.

Maybe my thoughts will change come draft season and I see in depth scouting reports but I'm not seeing it with this QB class. It's desperate to take one, but maybe they are?

The word is that it seems to be a deep interior o-line class. So take a guard in round two. Same goes with the ILB class.
    1. Amarius Mims, OT, Georgia 2. Zach Frazier, C, West Virginia 3. Maason Smith, DT, LSU 3. Roman Wilson, WR, Michigan 4. MJ Devonshire, CB, Pittsburgh 6. Tommy Eichenberg, ILB, Ohio State 6. Ryan Watts, S, Texas

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

If we change the QB choices…then that’s gotta be the way to go.

I actually misread the opening and thought it was a no QB thing.

Or maybe they all stink, I don’t know. Need to read more. That’s what the new year is for.

Senior Member Array title="Steeler-in-west has a reputation beyond repute"> Steeler-in-west's Avatar

Voted Center We have to get control of the line. That will help Najee do his thing and give the QB time to throw (go FA this season we will have the money; or if we can’t get Rodgers through trade go for Carr). Get our QB of the future in 23. Get a NT and WR in later rounds, can also plug more holes with FA money in 22.

Well there you have it... Array title="NCSteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> NCSteeler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Steeler-in-west View Post
    Voted Center We have to get control of the line. That will help Najee do his thing and give the QB time to throw (go FA this season we will have the money; or if we can’t get Rodgers through trade go for Carr). Get our QB of the future in 23. Get a NT and WR in later rounds, can also plug more holes with FA money in 22.
    I definitely lean this way. Just look what a very raw Ben was able to do with a well built team. A good running game solid line and good defense.

On the other hand look at how many just ok drafted QB get shell shocked from starting on bad teams and end up never living up to their draft status

Merry Christmas

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NCSteeler View Post
    I definitely lean this way. Just look what a very raw Ben was able to do with a well built team. A good running game solid line and good defense.

On the other hand look at how many just ok drafted QB get shell shocked from starting on bad teams and end up never living up to their draft status

post 2 .....

Nobody wants to Draft David Carr 2.0
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

Quote Originally Posted by BlackAndGold View Post
    Big fan of Linderbaum but they believe in Green. Even with his 'so so' moments this year, we still don't know what we have in him as a center since Green is still new to the position He would be worse as a guard Imo with his lack of length. Like Moore, they will let him grow and hope he takes a jump in year 2.

Jordan Davis is my favorite defensive player. Big DT that can move. Adding him with an aging/prime Heyward, hopefully healthy Tuitt, and a upcoming Loudermilk, the D-line could be the best in the NFL.

Maybe my thoughts will change come draft season and I see in depth scouting reports but I'm not seeing it with this QB class. It's desperate to take one, but maybe they are?

The word is that it seems to be a deep interior o-line class. So take a guard in round two. Same goes with the ILB class.
    Jordan Davis “fixes” this defense in one fell swoop. Teams can no longer double Heyward. Teams won’t be able to run away from Heyward. The Steelers defense will be able to get pressure with just Heyward, Watt, Davis, and Highsmith… allowing the secondary to have an extra player back in coverage (which masks any deficiencies in their coverage). And, as mojoUW already stated, it improves the play of the ILBs.

You have added a key point: Day 2 of this draft is chock full of interior O-linemen. While Kenyon Green and Tyler Linderbaum are elite, there are plenty of really, really ridiculously good interior linemen in this draft.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    If we change the QB choices…then that’s gotta be the way to go.
    I assumed there was an invisible etc. there...

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    I assumed there was an invisible etc. there...
    Indeed I was just putting names I’d heard connected to the Steelers, but Corral or Strong (or whomever) could easily be someone’s choice.

OK. As much as I would like to have a DL that just destroys all offenses put in front of it....I guess I better go with Corral. I haven't watched a lot but the highlights look fun and it seems that the only negatives I read about the guy are someone didn't like his social media and that he isn't typical NFL size. But he seems to move well and throw off-platform and throw well when he has to move off his initial spot. Can't coach that. Either you have it or you don't.

Not sure he can read defenses or work through progressions...but he can make plays.

Good Guys with Black Hats Array title="SteelMember has a reputation beyond repute"> SteelMember's Avatar

Current rankings for 2022 QB class...

RK PLAYER SCHOOL YEAR POS POS RK HT WT

10 Matt Corral Ole Miss Jr QB 1 6-2 205
    15 Kenny Pickett Pittsburgh Sr QB 2 6-3 220
    30 Malik Willis Liberty Jr QB 3 6-1 215
    36 Carson Strong Nevada Jr QB 4 6-4 215
    55 Sam Howell N.Carolina Jr QB 5 6-1 225
    94 Kedon Slovis USC Jr QB 6 6-3 205

Senior Member Array title="Rotorhead has a reputation beyond repute">

I don’t know much about college players, but at a position standpoint we need OL and CB pretty badly. I would like to see maybe a FA CB signing and draft an OL high up. If we can rely on getting Alualu or Tuitt back (or both) we won’t need a high pick there for at least another year. I don’t know what to think about Bush, is he still recovering, did he lose it with his injury? I suppose we need to use a high pick or FA a good ILB either way. Finally we need to decide on a QB, as for that, I have no clue.

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

we have a lot of needs to fill, we're gonna have to be active in free agency also.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SteelMember View Post
    Current rankings for 2022 QB class...

RK PLAYER SCHOOL YEAR POS POS RK HT WT

15 Kenny Pickett Pittsburgh Sr QB 2 6-3 220
    30 Malik Willis Liberty Jr QB 3 6-1 215
    36 Carson Strong Nevada Jr QB 4 6-4 215
    55 Sam Howell N.Carolina Jr QB 5 6-1 225
    94 Kedon Slovis USC Jr QB 6 6-3 205
    Nice. Just curious what site did you get that from?

Obviously lots can change between now and April, but a good start of names. I think some may value Ridder in there ahead of Slovis and I am a bit surprised that Carson Strong is as high as #36 right now, but that is where he might end up in April. I think several places may have Howell or Ridder higher than Strong currently.

Good Guys with Black Hats Array title="SteelMember has a reputation beyond repute"> SteelMember's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    Nice. Just curious what site did you get that from?

Obviously lots can change between now and April, but a good start of names. I think some may value Ridder in there ahead of Slovis and I am a bit surprised that Carson Strong is as high as #36 right now, but that is where he might end up in April. I think several places may have Howell or Ridder higher than Strong currently.
    Believe it was CBSsports... not necessarily the end-all, be-all of ranking sites, but more an early look at how guys are slotting prior to the Senior Bowl and Underwear Olympics.

They only have the top 100 right now.
    Here's what their top 10 currently looks like.

1 Kyle Hamilton Notre Dame Jr S 1 6-4 220
    2 Kayvon Thibodeaux Oregon Soph DE 1 6-5 258
    3 Derek Stingley Jr. LSU Jr CB 1 6-1 195
    4 Evan Neal Alabama Jr OL 1 6-7 350
    5 Tyler Linderbaum Iowa Jr OL 2 6-3 290
    6 George Karlaftis Purdue Jr DE 2 6-4 275
    7 Aidan Hutchinson Michigan Sr DE 3 6-6 265
    8 Garrett Wilson Ohio St. Jr WR 1 6-0 192
    9 DeMarvin Leal Texas A&M Jr DL 1 6-4 290

Quote Originally Posted by SteelMember View Post
    Believe it was CBSsports... not necessarily the end-all, be-all of ranking sites, but more an early look at how guys are slotting prior to the Senior Bowl and Underwear Olympics.

They only have the top 100 right now.
    Here's what their top 10 currently looks like.

1 Kyle Hamilton Notre Dame Jr S 1 6-4 220
    2 Kayvon Thibodeaux Oregon Soph DE 1 6-5 258
    3 Derek Stingley Jr. LSU Jr CB 1 6-1 195
    4 Evan Neal Alabama Jr OL 1 6-7 350
    5 Tyler Linderbaum Iowa Jr OL 2 6-3 290
    6 George Karlaftis Purdue Jr DE 2 6-4 275
    7 Aidan Hutchinson Michigan Sr DE 3 6-6 265
    8 Garrett Wilson Ohio St. Jr WR 1 6-0 192
    9 DeMarvin Leal Texas A&M Jr DL 1 6-4 290
    Kyle Hamilton is the real deal. He's a game changer.

Senior Member Array title="Steeler-in-west has a reputation beyond repute"> Steeler-in-west's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NCSteeler View Post

yes, we don't want a repeat of the Andrew Luck saga

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Just some quick thoughts at a very early pre-draft period....

1. How can you not love Jordan Davis at this point? The downside to me is 'Dontari Poe'. Meaning he's this huge monster/mountain of a man that is an impact player immediately and for every down in a college game, but not of a 1st round value for an NFL defense. (I can be convinced otherwise). My lean on DL is more to DeMarvin Leal of TA&M. More of the Heyward/Tuitt size and fit.

2. The talk of moving Green to OG and drafting another OC is an intriguing thought. I have not been impressed with the IOL play at all this season and also think some change is needed. Yes already. My current favorite prospect here is Arkansas OC Ricky Stromberg. And likely a very good value in round 2/3.

3. I think Dan Moore has actually been a bright spot at LT. Understanding that he is still a rookie I don't have any real complaint at this time. The RT position however may need some attention this draft. Take a look at Trevor Penning at Northern Iowa.

4. Of the QBs in this draft...Yes I know I stink at evaluating QBs. I really like Pickett. And I really like Ridder. I don't really want any of the 5'11"-6'2" prospects. Carson Strong is a good sized, top prospect but unfortunately has zero mobility due to past injuries. As of today I would choose Desmond Ridder first, then Kenny Pickett. So both are probably busts.

5. This draft is going to be filthy rich with quality CBs. I really like Booth but could be happy with several CB prospects. Also leaning heavily toward Christian Harris as an ILB prospect.

I would want to fix the OL/Running game first and then evaluate WRs. DJ, Claypool, Freiermuth, and Najee will all return in 2022. With this group I would maybe look to add a "Z" WR and use Claypool more from the slot, maybe. The size and athleticism of Claypool and Freiermuth both running in the middle of the field should be a mismatch against any defense.

Enjoy the rest of this season.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

I'll take an OL...any OL. Therefore I picked OT, any OT...lol

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    Kyle Hamilton is the real deal. He's a game changer.
    Yeah, but does he have bigger hands than Kenny Pickett??

I really cant wait to see how many folks get all excited about that in the pre draft process.

After watching Buffalo's line block, I'm doubling down on OL. How in the heck is buffalo losing games. They run block better than anyone I've seen recently.

Merry Christmas

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    Just some quick thoughts at a very early pre-draft period....

1. How can you not love Jordan Davis at this point? The downside to me is 'Dontari Poe'. Meaning he's this huge monster/mountain of a man that is an impact player immediately and for every down in a college game, but not of a 1st round value for an NFL defense. (I can be convinced otherwise). My lean on DL is more to DeMarvin Leal of TA&M. More of the Heyward/Tuitt size and fit.

2. The talk of moving Green to OG and drafting another OC is an intriguing thought. I have not been impressed with the IOL play at all this season and also think some change is needed. Yes already. My current favorite prospect here is Arkansas OC Ricky Stromberg. And likely a very good value in round 2/3.

3. I think Dan Moore has actually been a bright spot at LT. Understanding that he is still a rookie I don't have any real complaint at this time. The RT position however may need some attention this draft. Take a look at Trevor Penning at Northern Iowa.

4. Of the QBs in this draft...Yes I know I stink at evaluating QBs. I really like Pickett. And I really like Ridder. I don't really want any of the 5'11"-6'2" prospects. Carson Strong is a good sized, top prospect but unfortunately has zero mobility due to past injuries. As of today I would choose Desmond Ridder first, then Kenny Pickett. So both are probably busts.

5. This draft is going to be filthy rich with quality CBs. I really like Booth but could be happy with several CB prospects. Also leaning heavily toward Christian Harris as an ILB prospect.

I would want to fix the OL/Running game first and then evaluate WRs. DJ, Claypool, Freiermuth, and Najee will all return in 2022. With this group I would maybe look to add a "Z" WR and use Claypool more from the slot, maybe. The size and athleticism of Claypool and Freiermuth both running in the middle of the field should be a mismatch against any defense.

Enjoy the rest of this season.
    I am THANKFUL today…
    …because Born2Steel has returned!!!

(I’ll give this the response it’s due tomorrow.)