Thread: My Stupid Frustration....

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

My Stupid Frustration....

...and it is likely only me. I get why many are frustrated with the offensive line, the playcalling, or whatever. But the self-inflicted dumb from the FO the past several months because they refuse to be honest with themselves about expectations for the 2021 season makes me confused and frustrated.

1. Witherspoon was a moronic trade. As evidenced by last night and the entire season where he can't see the field -- he is awful. This was a total waste of a draft resource on a player that should be cut. And likely would have been by the Seahawks.

2. BJ Finney should have been cut after training camp. I get why he was signed. Prior to the draft it was critical to have credible OL on the roster. But he has now been passed by Hassenhauer and Haeg. That means he SHOULD have been passed by that Coward kid that was cut and picked up by the Jags. If Finney wasn't able to see the field last night...then he isn't a useful NFL player any longer. His roster spot should be given to an unproven player who COULD be a useful NFL player. Keeping Finney around is the kind of move a team that thinks they are in contention and is afraid of trusting young/raw/inexperienced guys in tight spots makes. But the 2021 Steelers should be using those roster spots for developing towards 2022 and beyond. If Finney couldn't get snaps last night...he isn't getting any. He serves no purpose on this team now or in the future. He should be on the street and a player with room to develop with the team should be on the roster in his place.

3. Haeg. See above. It made sense pre-draft. But what purpose does it serve now? Haeg is not good. Couldn't someone with room to develop and grow as a player soak up the "not good lineman" snaps that Haeg is taking up? Also, watch, they are going to dink around with Haeg and lose out on a Mike Hilton comp pick. This is just bad front officing. Again...it is the kind of thing you do if you think you need "steady" to come off the bench and play a quarter and half in the AFC Divisional round or something. But...c'mon -- that isn't this team.

4. Why any of the reserve RBs are still on the roster is beyond me. There are so many players that have had success at the NCAA level that didn't get a look in the NFL. Sign like four of them and see if you can catch lightening in a bottle.

There are a few others...but these stick out. They are making moves like they shouldn't be in a massive player development cycle. But that is where they are. Their insistence on sticking with below average veteran players for the sake of continuity drives me up a wall.

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

Re: My Stupid Frustration....

The o-line is frustrating, the 31st ranked run defense looked like the 86 Bears vs our o-line

Well there you have it... Array title="NCSteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> NCSteeler's Avatar

They are definitely playing the season as though we are in contention, and that sadly just isn't the case.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
    Merry Christmas

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Fire Goodell View Post
    The o-line is frustrating, the 31st ranked run defense looked like the 86 Bears vs our o-line
    We only ran 12 times…

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    We only ran 12 times…
    Which is mind boggling I itself but then look at the O-Line.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    ...and it is likely only me. I get why many are frustrated with the offensive line, the playcalling, or whatever. But the self-inflicted dumb from the FO the past several months because they refuse to be honest with themselves about expectations for the 2021 season makes me confused and frustrated.

1. Witherspoon was a moronic trade. As evidenced by last night and the entire season where he can't see the field -- he is awful. This was a total waste of a draft resource on a player that should be cut. And likely would have been by the Seahawks.

2. BJ Finney should have been cut after training camp. I get why he was signed. Prior to the draft it was critical to have credible OL on the roster. But he has now been passed by Hassenhauer and Haeg. That means he SHOULD have been passed by that Coward kid that was cut and picked up by the Jags. If Finney wasn't able to see the field last night...then he isn't a useful NFL player any longer. His roster spot should be given to an unproven player who COULD be a useful NFL player. Keeping Finney around is the kind of move a team that thinks they are in contention and is afraid of trusting young/raw/inexperienced guys in tight spots makes. But the 2021 Steelers should be using those roster spots for developing towards 2022 and beyond. If Finney couldn't get snaps last night...he isn't getting any. He serves no purpose on this team now or in the future. He should be on the street and a player with room to develop with the team should be on the roster in his place.

3. Haeg. See above. It made sense pre-draft. But what purpose does it serve now? Haeg is not good. Couldn't someone with room to develop and grow as a player soak up the "not good lineman" snaps that Haeg is taking up? Also, watch, they are going to dink around with Haeg and lose out on a Mike Hilton comp pick. This is just bad front officing. Again...it is the kind of thing you do if you think you need "steady" to come off the bench and play a quarter and half in the AFC Divisional round or something. But...c'mon -- that isn't this team.

4. Why any of the reserve RBs are still on the roster is beyond me. There are so many players that have had success at the NCAA level that didn't get a look in the NFL. Sign like four of them and see if you can catch lightening in a bottle.

There are a few others...but these stick out. They are making moves like they shouldn't be in a massive player development cycle. But that is where they are. Their insistence on sticking with below average veteran players for the sake of continuity drives me up a wall.
    Every point you make here is valid.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Which is mind boggling I itself but then look at the O-Line.
    IMO, they are better moving forward than dropping back into pass coverage.

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

We only ran 12 times…
    Probably because of the lack of success. Harris or whoever carrying the ball didn't look like they could even make it to the LoS before contact, they were that bad

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

I don't know about that - like at all. Green doesn't move forward. So might as well have him prepared to go backwards. Turner is better staying in one spot and bear hugging a guy than moving. Chuks is Chuks. Moore is lungy and grabby on the move. Dotson -- maybe?

These guys just really aren't any good. But at least they play nasty and will like going to work because of the attitude and culture that Klemm has instilled (remember that storyline? haha!)

Sorry....not fair to vent on you...but I still want to slap my head against the desk about that one. Like an attitude was gonna turn inexperienced, undersized, and raw OL into a credible offense driving force. Again...I remain positive about this group for 2022+ but this was always going to be a bad year.

Drvlspwr Array title="Steel Peon has a reputation beyond repute"> Steel Peon's Avatar

We only ran 12 times…
    This to me just opens up theories as to why NFL teams sometimes don't play to their strengths or to their opponents weaknesses, and it kinda makes it look like they're trying to lose, or maybe they're not supposed to win? Terribly missed tackles? Plays that don't look practiced and look destined to fail? Phantom penalties? These things make the NFL look like the WWE.
    “They say you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone. So I got rid of everything to see what I had.” ~ Steven Wright

The Steelers are 4th from last in YPA and 22nd in rush attempts. That means they run the ball just a bit below the league average but are one of the worst teams in the entire league at doing so.

I would hardly call rushing a strength of the offense.

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

to go a bit Further with Haeg , he IS one of the reasons we lost yesterday ... he is responsible for BOTH of the sacks on the last pos. that put us in 4th and an eternity ...

if Haeg and Bush wasnt on the field yesterday we very well may have won that football game
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

The Steelers are 4th from last in YPA and 22nd in rush attempts. That means they run the ball just a bit below the league average but are one of the worst teams in the entire league at doing so.

I would hardly call rushing a strength of the offense.
    I don’t consider rushing a team strength, but IMO, the O-line seems to at least know what they’re doing on run plays. Effective? Eh But, at least they didn’t appear lost.

My point is that 12 attempts it too few. RBs need more carries to be effective.

I don’t consider rushing a team strength, but IMO, the O-line seems to at least know what they’re doing on run plays. Effective? Eh But, at least they didn’t appear lost.

My point is that 12 attempts it too few. RBs need more carries to be effective.
    Harris is a between the tackles runner. Guard to guard this is likely the worst line in the league.

As much as I hate to admit it, Ben's two seconds or less zero yard per attempt passing game is about all that's gonna work behind this crew of legends.

12 rushing attempts might've been 12 too many.

Senior Member Array title="Steeler-in-west has a reputation beyond repute"> Steeler-in-west's Avatar

O line is particularly frustrating. Why couldn’t the Steelers better prepare a good line knowing Ben was in need of one. The Najee pick seems emotional in hindsight. A top center or guard would have been the more logical choice. Now our top running back is getting banged up and we can’t maximize his talent because the o line can’t block. Giving Ben enough time to throw would’ve also maximized what he has left in the tank.

Assistant coaches are also frustrating. I know we have the lowest paid assistants in the league. I wish the Rooney’s would shell out more bucks for innovative - well regarded in league assistants.

I don’t see that at all. What I see from this offensive line is almost the exact thing I see from my kids middle school games. The O-Line engages and then the defense disengages and then makes the play. It’s a very frustrating thing to watch. I see no push at all and definitely don’t see an O-Lineman getting to the second level. Maybe I’m just looking at it negatively...

I don't know about that - like at all. Green doesn't move forward. So might as well have him prepared to go backwards. Turner is better staying in one spot and bear hugging a guy than moving. Chuks is Chuks. Moore is lungy and grabby on the move. Dotson -- maybe?

These guys just really aren't any good. But at least they play nasty and will like going to work because of the attitude and culture that Klemm has instilled (remember that storyline? haha!)

Sorry....not fair to vent on you...but I still want to slap my head against the desk about that one. Like an attitude was gonna turn inexperienced, undersized, and raw OL into a credible offense driving force. Again...I remain positive about this group for 2022+ but this was always going to be a bad year.
    Curious what you see in the OL that make you think it will be better in 2022?

Quote Originally Posted by Steeler-in-west View Post
    O line is particularly frustrating. Why couldn’t the Steelers better prepare a good line knowing Ben was in need of one. The Najee pick seems emotional in hindsight. A top center or guard would have been the more logical choice. Now our top running back is getting banged up and we can’t maximize his talent because the o line can’t block. Giving Ben enough time to throw would’ve also maximized what he has left in the tank.

Assistant coaches are also frustrating. I know we have the lowest paid assistants in the league. I wish the Rooney’s would shell out more bucks for innovative - well regarded in league assistants.
    Pounce or DeCastro at their prime wouldn’t help this O-Line as a whole. One draft pick isn’t going to do it. Harris was a fine pick. Take whatever offensive lineman from the draft and it’s not going to make that much a difference.

Senior Member Array title="Steeler-in-west has a reputation beyond repute"> Steeler-in-west's Avatar

Pounce or DeCastro at their prime wouldn’t help this O-Line as a whole. One draft pick isn’t going to do it. Harris was a fine pick. Take whatever offensive lineman from the draft and it’s not going to make that much a difference.
    I know one lineman is not enough. I just focused on the draft. Dotson is good, but a tackle like Orlando Brown and a FA guard or trade along with Humphrey at C would’ve gone a long way. Line should’ve been more of a priority. Harris is great but we could’ve gotten a good enough back another way. I’m pretty sure Harris will pay dividends down the road but this year, just looks like RB abuse.

Of course Ben can’t make the defense pay for stacking the box anymore but that’s another issue. Ben wanted to come back and give it one more shot and the Steelers acquiesced. They were pretty much stuck

Curious what you see in the OL that make you think it will be better in 2022?
    Green is in an NFL weight room for a year.
    So is Moore.

Non first round OL and DL usually take a massive jump in year 2. If for no other reason than they stop getting pushed around.

Refine technique etc etc.

So is Moore.

Non first round OL and DL usually take a massive jump in year 2. If for no other reason than they stop getting pushed around.

Ben won’t be around to benefit from the improvement

Ben won’t be around to benefit from the improvement
    True. But that's the typical reality of later round OL picks.

That's my frustration. I don't think they were aligned with their depth players. Hseg and Finney are backups you want on a contender not a rebuilding roster.

Senior Member Array title="Rotorhead has a reputation beyond repute">

I know one lineman is not enough. I just focused on the draft. Dotson is good, but a tackle like Orlando Brown and a FA guard or trade along with Humphrey at C would’ve gone a long way. Line should’ve been more of a priority. Harris is great but we could’ve gotten a good enough back another way. I’m pretty sure Harris will pay dividends down the road but this year, just looks like RB abuse.

Of course Ben can’t make the defense pay for stacking the box anymore but that’s another issue. Ben wanted to come back and give it one more shot and the Steelers acquiesced. They were pretty much stuck
    Ben was getting paid whether he came back or not, maybe you forgot, he is getting less for coming back and we didn’t have a better replacement just waiting to sign with us. Maybe you missed the MR game.

Quote Originally Posted by Rotorhead View Post
    Ben was getting paid whether he came back or not, maybe you forgot, he is getting less for coming back and we didn’t have a better replacement just waiting to sign with us. Maybe you missed the MR game.
    I know the Steelers asked Ben to take a pay cut. That’s why it looks it was Ben that wanted to comeback. Who knows what the Steelers would’ve done if Ben wasn’t returning- maybe they pickup a FA or trade up to take Mac Jones

yeah I didn’t see the lions game but watched the highlight- MR looked like a backup

So is Moore.

I don’t see it but hopefully you are correct.

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

So is Moore.

I do not believe a weight room helps Green upper body but he should never miss a leg day ( drive ) ....

the guy is already strong as hell , he is ripped for a bigger guy , his biggest problem is he needs more weight the big guys across from him are pushing him back not muscling him back ...

he is listed as 6'4" - 315 ( steelers.com )but I do not believe that for a moment

i've seen him speaking to the media without the pads this guy is NOT close to that weight IMO... I mean I have a bigger gut than him and I am 6'1" 245 ... he looks to me as if he needs 30 pounds of sand in his pants

listed here at 6'2" -305 and I believe that is closer to reality but I wouldnt be surprised if he is truly sub 300 like 290ish https://www.nfl.com/prospects/kendrick-green/32004752-4529-8269-4ea7-3aa53f8dbd0d
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

I do not believe a weight room helps Green upper body but he should never miss a leg day ( drive ) ....

the guy is already strong as hell , he is ripped for a bigger guy , his biggest problem is he needs more weight the big guys across from him are pushing him back not muscling him back ...

he is listed as 6'4" - 315 ( steelers.com )but I do not believe that for a moment

i've seen him speaking to the media without the pads this guy is NOT close to that weight IMO... I mean I have a bigger gut than him and I am 6'1" 245 ... he looks to me as if he needs 30 pounds of sand in his pants

listed here at 6'2" -305 and I believe that is closer to reality but I wouldnt be surprised if he is truly sub 300 like 290ish https://www.nfl.com/prospects/kendrick-green/32004752-4529-8269-4ea7-3aa53f8dbd0d
    You are most likely correct. What you are describing is what needs to happen for a lot of rookies. They know how to do it but don't have complete NFL bodies yet.

I expect a jump in performance from Green, Moore, Fiermuth, Loudermilk, and Buddy Johnson just from being in an NFL strength and conditioning training protocol for a full year.