Thread: The Inches Are All Around Us

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

The Inches Are All Around Us

What. A. Game. WOW!!! After our defense stopped the Chargers on 4th-&-1, I was sure we were going to win. Alas…

There were so many plays that could have made the difference/won the game.

-opening drive. Chargers are off-sides. Free play. But, DJ was grabbed by the back of his jersey preventing a TD. It should have been first-&-goal. Instead, we only get 5 yards.

-long pass to Claypool is underthrown. No points come out of that drive. I was all for going for it, but in hindsight, a FG there would have been huge.

-Chargers miss a FG. Sutton was offsides. I cannot blame Sutton for trying to make a play. Still… those 3 points turned out to be huge.

-Buggs knocks down a pass. Boo-yaa!!! Except that Sutton was poised for a pick-six.

-some time in the fourth, DJ is held in the end-zone on third down. Collinsworth mentions that the Chargers got away with DPI. We settle for a FG (when first-&-goal from the 1 would have been much better)

-after the aforementioned “turnover on downs” by the Chargers, I truly believe that if Najee is in, we score a TD. 3 points were good, but there was a lot of time left.

-on Mike Williams’ long TD, Highsmith was chop blocked; I truly thought the play was coming back. Sutton jumping the route works 9 times out of 10, because most QB throw into the blitz right at the hot read. Alas, to his credit, Herbert threw to the player beyond the hot read.

SUMMATION:
    Any one of those plays occurs differently, and we witness a comeback for the ages.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Re: The Inches Are All Around Us

The positive is they were in the game until the end with half a defense and 5 rusty turnstiles as an O-Line.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

the inches are all around us, that sounds like something she said

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    The positive is they were in the game until the end with half a defense and 5 rusty turnstiles as an O-Line.
    Indeed I thoroughly enjoyed this game. There was no quit.

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

So basically another the Steelers got robbed/the steelers got unlucky thread

Renegade. Array title="bayz101 has a reputation beyond repute"> bayz101's Avatar

Not to mention TWO after the play blows to Najee's noggin.

Senior Member Array title="Steeler-in-west has a reputation beyond repute"> Steeler-in-west's Avatar

Great read, gives hope that the season can still be turned around. We were close, if Watt had played I’m pretty sure we win. He and Minkah make up for a lot of other deficiencies

Senior Member Array title="Rotorhead has a reputation beyond repute">

The Inches Are All Around Us

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Rusty turnstiles have less give that our OL, the rust creates friction, just sayin

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Steeler-in-west View Post
    Great read, gives hope that the season can still be turned around. We were close, if Watt had played I’m pretty sure we win. He and Minkah make up for a lot of other deficiencies
    Even the pencil-necked geek (Collinsworth) said that the winning TD for the Chargers doesn't happen had Minkah been in.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rotorhead View Post
    Rusty turnstiles have less give that our OL, the rust creates friction, just sayin
    That’s why I said it. There’s a little friction but not enough to stop anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Quote Originally Posted by bayz101 View Post
    Not to mention TWO after the play blows to Najee's noggin.
    It knocked Najee out of the game… during a pivotal point in the game. Sure, the Steelers still scored a TD on that current drive, but I am certain he was missed on the ensuing drive.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

This is a good discussion and a number of solid points. The thing, for me, that the past 3 seasons have driven home is how spoiled and skewed my perspective got as a Steelers fan. The inches didn't really matter most of the time. Just keep the game close and then one of the other-wordly talents on the roster would do a thing and win the game. Most often, it was the QB just making a series of plays that would erase deficits in a hurry regardless of what the opposing defense tried to do.

Against the Chargers, that was the extra something that was missing, Minkah and Watt were out on defense (and it isn't to say that the defense didn't make plays - they did) and Ben played really well...but that extra gear that separated him onto another level from most of the rest of the league is gone.

I guess I am just realizing how far above "average" prime Ben really was. I totally thought the gap between Ben and Rudolph had shrunk because of Ben getting older...but I guess I forgot just how far above everyone else he was starting the decline from.

Despite the loss it was a great game from a young roster in a rough situation.

Quote Originally Posted by Steeler-in-west View Post
    Thrre is a huge silver lining surrounding this game.

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    This is a good discussion and a number of solid points. The thing, for me, that the past 3 seasons have driven home is how spoiled and skewed my perspective got as a Steelers fan. The inches didn't really matter most of the time. Just keep the game close and then one of the other-wordly talents on the roster would do a thing and win the game. Most often, it was the QB just making a series of plays that would erase deficits in a hurry regardless of what the opposing defense tried to do.

Against the Chargers, that was the extra something that was missing, Minkah and Watt were out on defense (and it isn't to say that the defense didn't make plays - they did) and Ben played really well...but that extra gear that separated him onto another level from most of the rest of the league is gone.

I guess I am just realizing how far above "average" prime Ben really was. I totally thought the gap between Ben and Rudolph had shrunk because of Ben getting older...but I guess I forgot just how far above everyone else he was starting the decline from.

Despite the loss it was a great game from a young roster in a rough situation.
    25 years ago, I heard LeBeau (and Cowher) talking about just this. You give up nothing deep and make the opposing team take 10 plays to reach midfield… and at some point during those 10 plays, your playmaker* will create a turnover (or get a big sack that ends the drive).

*Greg Lloyd
    *Chad Brown
    *Joey Porter
    *Troy Polamalu
    *James Farrior
    *James Harrison
    *TJ Watt
    *Cam Heyward
    *Minkah Fitzpatrick

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    25 years ago, I heard LeBeau (and Cowher) talking about just this. You give up nothing deep and make the opposing team take 10 plays to reach midfield… and at some point during those 10 plays, your playmaker* will create a turnover (or get a big sack that ends the drive).

*Greg Lloyd
    *Chad Brown
    *Joey Porter
    *Troy Polamalu
    *James Farrior
    *James Harrison
    *TJ Watt
    *Cam Heyward
    *Minkah Fitzpatrick
    Yup. I seem to remember that was Lebeau's big thing. I don't think you can make 10-15 flawless plays and beat me drive in and drive out. For all but the best QB's, he was totally correct.

Similar on offense. Can you imagine prime "Big Ben" throwing to Diontae and Claypool? With Ebron and PF backing them up? Video game #'s. Claypool and Ben in a scramble drill would be unfair and DJ is basically always open if a QB is willing to hit the tiniest of windows. That sideline throw that Ben hit to DJ against the Chargers was Ben and AB's bread and butter.