Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Player execution or coaching

Well there you have it... Array title="NCSteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> NCSteeler's Avatar

Player execution or coaching

So NE seems to be able to throw out whatever nobody's you never heard of and win win win , superior coaching or do they just recruit players that are good at executing?

I mean the argument for Tomlin and crew is always the players gotta execute, the coaches don't play the game. Blah blah.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
    Merry Christmas

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

Re: Player execution or coaching

Quote Originally Posted by NCSteeler View Post
    So NE seems to be able to throw out whatever nobody's you never heard of and win win win...
    You mean like last year, when they went 7-9?

Senior Member Array title="Steeler-in-west has a reputation beyond repute"> Steeler-in-west's Avatar

Shouldn’t this go in the Steelers section? Anyway, coaching is supposed to enhance and maximize player execution. We got a lot of problems with execution whether they’re dropped passes, poor tacking, missed coverage assignments, missing open receivers and of course penalties. I think in our case a lot of it is on the coaches. Playing down to bottom feeders is an indication of that. Some will try to say we haven’t had a losing season under Tomlin but I personally am used to the decade worth of underperformance by this team and I don’t see it changing anytime soon. I’ll be pleasantly surprised if I’m wrong.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
    You mean like last year, when they went 7-9?
    Wonder what the impression of Steelers would be if you only watched them in prime time slots? Aren't they several dozen games over 500?

Well there you have it... Array title="NCSteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> NCSteeler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    Wonder what the impression of Steelers would be if you only watched them in prime time slots? Aren't they several dozen games over 500?
    Watching them or not, NE has a better record with a rookie QB a who knows RB and some idk group if WRs. We could keep on debating how our offensive talent is so great but wins and points seem to rule the day

Merry Christmas

Or just a sorryass tie against the bears idk

Merry Christmas

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

It sucks that past Steelers teams have dropped winnable games. Lots of teams do.

This past game to the Lions was bad. But Im not sure a lot of NFL teams lose their QB, #2 WR, pass rusher, starting CB, both guards, while already being down 2 starting defensive lineman and play all that well.

That's over a third of the starting 22 that didn't play in all or part of that game.

How many teams play well missing that much of their roster?

Senior Member Array title="willy has a reputation beyond repute"> willy's Avatar

The Pats defense is the “Legion of Whom?”

Senior Member Array title="Steeler-in-west has a reputation beyond repute"> Steeler-in-west's Avatar

Yeah, 2021 Ben was out, who is not much better than Rudolph and we had some other guys go down, but if Bush and some others on defense had just not forgotten how to tackle and if the players had taken practice seriously…..or if PF and DJ had remembered to secure the ball in crucial situations we might’ve just pulled that lions game out. Something always seems to go wrong when we play bottom feeders -it’s just weird

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

I'd say that the patriots have about 10% the talent the rams have yet are currently playing better than them. The key is belichick's coaching. He's maximizing the players he has and is putting them into position to succeed.

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

LOL, what a difference 5 weeks makes in the prevailing narrative.

From "boy what a mistake it was to let Brady walk" and "it's become clear who was REALLY responsible for the Patriots dynasty" when they were sitting at 2-4 to "Mad Football Genius" Belichick again now.

And as far as "talent disparities" go, it's the NFL, not the NCAA. There are no "Alabama vs. The Helen Keller School for the Blind" mismatches at the NFL level. EVERYONE has talent in the NFL. That's kinda why it's the NFL.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

The Patriots recipe is simple. They get guys that fit Belichick’s system, he doesn’t always get them right but a lot of time he does. They get guys that buy into the system and they do their job. If they don’t do their job, then Belichick finds the next guy on the roster that can do that job and sometimes finds a different job for the other guy. It’s really that simple.

Their defense is playing lights out. Judon has quietly been one of the best pass rushers in the league this season. They aren’t a talentless group of no names. Winovich, Judon, VanNoy, Hightower, McCourty…all very good players.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

The Pats beat the Chargers and an imploding Browns team. The rest of their wins are against terrible teams. Benefit of playing an easy schedule.

Their defense is playing well. Let's see what happens when they play someone of playoff caliber.

Senior Member Array title="willy has a reputation beyond repute"> willy's Avatar

Let's see what happens when they play someone of playoff caliber.
    They have and they lost. The Cowboys and the Bucs.

We're going to find out where they're at very shortly.

Quote Originally Posted by willy View Post
    They have and they lost. The Cowboys and the Bucs.

We're going to find out where they're at very shortly.
    Don't they have the Bills twice kinda soon?

I mean good for the Pats for doing what they should do and beating the downtrodden teams on their schedule. But...I dunno....I think the media is starting to hype them as a SB contender and I don't see it.

I mean good for the Pats for doing what they should do and beating the downtrodden teams on their schedule. But...I dunno....I think the media is starting to hype them as a SB contender and I don't see it.
    They have the Titans, the Bills twice, and Miami in Miami which has always been tough for them. (Brady's dozen losses to Miami are the most he has recorded against any NFL team.)

Have they improved? Of course. Did all the money they spent in the off season bringing new players in appear to work out? No question that it helped. Now let's see what they can do at this point. As a fan, which I am, you can't do anything but wait and see.

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Watching them or not, NE has a better record with a rookie QB a who knows RB and some idk group if WRs. We could keep on debating how our offensive talent is so great but wins and points seem to rule the day

They have a rookie QB that played for Nick Saban. He runs a similar system with similar terminology at Alabama. Jones was the perfect fit for Belichick because Saban was basically grooming him to run his offense at the next level. That's why there hasn't been much of a learning curve.

It is a rare situational occurrence that worked in Dark Hoodie's favor. It isn't genius. Good fortune met with a team need at exactly the perfect time. Good luck duplicating that.

They have the Titans, the Bills twice, and Miami in Miami which has always been tough for them. (Brady's dozen losses to Miami are the most he has recorded against any NFL team.)

Have they improved? Of course. Did all the money they spent in the off season bringing new players in appear to work out? No question that it helped. Now let's see what they can do at this point. As a fan, which I am, you can't do anything but wait and see.
    Nope! And they have some exciting pieces. Honestly, I was kinda hoping the Steelers would bypass Harris in the first round and focus in on Stevenson later in the draft. I think he is going to be excellent. Too bad the Pats can't identify WR talent to save their life. They could really use a dynamic playmaker on the outside.

They should be a fun team to watch over the final quarter of the season

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Bills aren't a good gauge either. That is a team that lost to the Jaguars and Steelers. Titans will probably be the best gauge but this season, none of that is going to matter because it's going to be the hottest team, the most prepared team and the healthiest team that winds up winning. There's no dominant team like there have been in past years.

Bills are still top of the division and just destroyed the Jets (which is what a contender is supposed to do to bottom feeders). I would consider them a good test.

Quote Originally Posted by Steeler-in-west View Post
    Bills are still top of the division and just destroyed the Jets (which is what a contender is supposed to do to bottom feeders). I would consider them a good test.
    Bills have played pretty terrible teams other than the Chiefs and Titans. They caught the Chiefs in a slump and lost to the Titans. The rest of their schedule is about as soft as you can get.

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Bills have played pretty terrible teams other than the Chiefs and Titans. They caught the Chiefs in a slump and lost to the Titans. The rest of their schedule is about as soft as you can get.
    Week one excluded, They lost to the titans by three and had a hiccup against the jags. They've dominated everyone else they've played. They play the bucs, pats twice, and the colts who are not a doormat, i wouldn't call that a soft schedule.

Quote Originally Posted by pczach View Post
    They have a rookie QB that played for Nick Saban. He runs a similar system with similar terminology at Alabama. Jones was the perfect fit for Belichick because Saban was basically grooming him to run his offense at the next level. That's why there hasn't been much of a learning curve.

It is a rare situational occurrence that worked in Dark Hoodie's favor. It isn't genius. Good fortune met with a team need at exactly the perfect time. Good luck duplicating that.
    That's part of the point, Steelers often bring in square peg guy who is really good athletic ability and shove him I to a round hole where he plays meh.

Good coaches recruit players that fit what they want to do.

Merry Christmas

Senior Member Array title="GBMelBlount has a reputation beyond repute"> GBMelBlount's Avatar

I want the Steelers to win the Superbowl.

If they do not make it, I would not mind seeing Tom & Bill duke it out.

10,000-foot view, has anything like this occurred before.
    "With love, with patience, and with Faith
    ....She'll make her way" ~ Natalie Merchant

Quote Originally Posted by Steeler-in-west View Post
    Week one excluded, They lost to the titans by three and had a hiccup against the jags. They've dominated everyone else they've played. They play the bucs, pats twice, and the colts who are not a doormat, i wouldn't call that a soft schedule.
    They’ve played the Steelers, Jaguars, WFT, Dolphins (x2), Texans, Jets, That’s a pretty soft schedule to date. Probably about as soft as you can get.

Nope! And they have some exciting pieces. Honestly, I was kinda hoping the Steelers would bypass Harris in the first round and focus in on Stevenson later in the draft. I think he is going to be excellent. Too bad the Pats can't identify WR talent to save their life. They could really use a dynamic playmaker on the outside.

They should be a fun team to watch over the final quarter of the season
    Yeah, I don't get that. Maybe he just doesn't like single purpose players vs multipurpose players?

BB, "You mean all he can do is catch the ball?"

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    They’ve played the Steelers, Jaguars, WFT, Dolphins (x2), Texans, Jets, That’s a pretty soft schedule to date. Probably about as soft as you can get.
    It's soft as hell but you don't see them out there fucking up. Fumbling away a game they should have won

Merry Christmas

Yeah, I don't get that. Maybe he just doesn't like single purpose players vs multipurpose players?

BB, "You mean all he can do is catch the ball?"
    There might be something to that. Be interesting to see how they address the position without Brady around to lure FAs

It's soft as hell but you don't see them out there fucking up. Fumbling away a game they should have won

Except for the Steelers and Jaguars. Give them a pass on the Steelers since they probably had no tape on Matt Canada’s offense…

Honestly, the Patriots have just as good of a shot as anybody at winning it all this year. The "good" teams really aren't all that impressive, IMO. And in the postseason when pretty much everything else is equal, that's where coaching really comes into play. And I must admit (begrudgingly) that Belichick is the best in the business in that department - and by quite a large margin too, unfortunately.

Perhaps over the next few weeks, some teams will begin to separate themselves from the rest of the pack. We'll see.