Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bridge QBs

Senior Member Array title="Steeler-in-west has a reputation beyond repute"> Steeler-in-west's Avatar

Re: Bridge QBs

Alot also depends on how the season plays out. What if the steelers win the division and make a deep playoff run? Its possible with the way the AFC is, (maybe Ben turns it on and o line continues to improve), in that case maybe Ben comes back for another year or they just go with Rudolph and a reclamation vet (i'm still thinking Bridgewater or maybe Brisset) in 2022. Anyway the Steelers are not tanking - they never have. If this season goes south they may reach for a QB in the draft - more likely if they finish below 500. That's how it worked in 03, the wheels fell off in Maddox's second year and the Steelers were able to snag a QB with the 11th pick.

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Out of that list, Jimmy G can sometimes play like an NFL starter, and Bridgewater seems to be all right, although I haven't seen him play this year.

Let's face it, though - our next starter Is going to be Rudolph, and it's going to be disappointing.

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    McCall is eligible this year. He may decide to come out since it’s a weak QB class.
    That would be a smart move for him, because then it would be very likely he's the #1 pick, or at least top 3.

It wouldn't be so good for us, because it would be very likely he's the #1 pick, or at least top 3. I just don't see us trying to go for that.

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    I do not understand what a "bridge" QB accomplishes.

I can not understand the point of a veteran starter in 2022. What is the goal that is achieved?
    Probably to show that you are still a serious team that wants serious people and would be a good team to play for or coach for. You go 2-14, it's a miserable year, everyone is pissed off, you lose players, coaches get fired, guys like Cam Heyward decide to retire, next year looks like another slog where you're probably not making the playoffs, and not everyone wants to spend their time on that. Some will do it just for the money, or because they think they can be the coach that turned things around, but overall I think the turbulence and negativity that comes along with losing makes it harder to turn things around quickly.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="Steeler-in-west has a reputation beyond repute"> Steeler-in-west's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
    Probably to show that you are still a serious team that wants serious people and would be a good team to play for or coach for. You go 2-14, it's a miserable year, everyone is pissed off, you lose players, coaches get fired, guys like Cam Heyward decide to retire, next year looks like another slog where you're probably not making the playoffs, and not everyone wants to spend their time on that. Some will do it just for the money, or because they think they can be the coach that turned things around, but overall I think the turbulence and negativity that comes along with losing makes it harder to turn things around quickly.
    Nailed it.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

BTW, Cam Newton is also a free agent in 2022. If he shows a return to form this season....

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Bridge QBs

Jeff Garcia was definitely the Bridge guy/stop gap whatever you want to call it from Young to the next guy and that next guy was the tragedy that was Giovanni Carmazzi. Carmazzi was so bad and Garcia so good that the bridge became no more. Garcia, more or less, was in the same position as Rudolph. He was totally a bridge. Was he a free agent bridge? Maybe, maybe not...he may have been part of a bigger plan...only the 49ers front office knows that but for argument sake, he was a bridge guy and he had success. Had they not had Garcia, they are rolling with Giovanni Carmazzi starting and Tim Rattay as a back up. That’s going nowhere and the team is stumbling for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Jeff Garcia was definitely the Bridge guy/stop gap whatever you want to call it from Young to the next guy and that next guy was the tragedy that was Giovanni Carmazzi. Carmazzi was so bad and Garcia so good that the bridge became no more. Garcia, more or less, was in the same position as Rudolph. He was totally a bridge. Was he a free agent bridge? Maybe, maybe not...he may have been part of a bigger plan...only the 49ers front office knows that but for argument sake, he was a bridge guy and he had success. Had they not had Garcia, they are rolling with Giovanni Carmazzi starting and Tim Rattay as a back up. That’s going nowhere and the team is stumbling for a while.
    Ok I had forgotten all that. My mistake.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well there you have it... Array title="NCSteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> NCSteeler's Avatar

Jimmy G another almost good QB that hasn't finished season without getting hurt , accept on the bench

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
    Merry Christmas

Senior Member Array title="cubanstogie has a reputation beyond repute"> cubanstogie's Avatar

Mariota would get hurt in second game, Jimmy G would probably make it to week eight. Take them both and let them platoon. on a serious note Jimmy G is far better than anything on our roster. All the rookies other than mac jones suck this year. I’d take Garrapolo in a heartbeat.

Once, we were L Legends Array title="oneforthetoe has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by Fire Goodell View Post
    From that list, i'd take:

Winston
    Fitzpatrick
    Bridgewater
    Jimmy G

- - - Updated - - -

Knowing the Steelers they'll go 8-8-1 and draft Bubby Brister in round 4
    Never forget watching the Steelers in the 80's at my friends house (I did have one I swear), he would always be yelling at the tv and calling the Steelers QB "bloody blister."

Here’s another ‘bridge’ QB: Mat Ryan, he’s getting pummeled tonight but if has any time to throw he’s very good. Has good touch on the deep pass

Well there you have it... Array title="NCSteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> NCSteeler's Avatar

Y'all have watched our Oline play right? I mean hell an average QB with no time to throw and a DE in his lap

Merry Christmas

Senior Member Array title="cubanstogie has a reputation beyond repute"> cubanstogie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Steeler-in-west View Post
    Here’s another ‘bridge’ QB: Mat Ryan, he’s getting pummeled tonight but if has any time to throw he’s very good. Has good touch on the deep pass
    can’t understand how Falcons have won 4 games. They look awful. But yeah Ryan has nothing to work with.

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

A guy with more experience say at least 8 years can help serve as a mentor to a young qb drafted and help develop young qb (honestly would probably serve as a better mentor than canada). If there is no qb then the names on this list are no worse than what they have so at worst it doesn't matter. Until they find a new franchise qb they will be spinning the wheels relying on tj to push them to 9 wins anyway

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

I feel like the rest of the NFL is demonstrating that vet FA QBs are a bridge to nowhere.

Take Bridgewater. Multiple teams have signed him. Named him the starter. AND immediately started to move assets around to get another QB.

Often these teams have good skill players and ascendent defenses. They even win games and flirt with playoff contention. But all his teams have looked at that and then made a determined effort to go QB shopping.

Same with Fitzpatrick. Same with Taylor and Brissett.

So why burn the season? If you're going to end up at the "draft rookie QB and hope he's the answer" point anyway, why not just fast forward and do the draft thing right away?

The Patriots just did it with Newton. Wouldn't they be better off if they'd got their QB last year and not had a lost season with Newton?

If you're gonna start the bridge because your rookie needs a year on the bench...I counter with maybe not? Mahomes sat and that worked. But Fields, Herbert, Jones, Murray and others played early and it seems to have not hindered their development but even accelerated it.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Just ask yourself how many of the QBs on that list are better than the 2021 version of Ben. If the team turns run-centric and builds the O line, they remain as competitive as they have been the past 10 years.

- - - Updated - - -

The Patriots just did it with Newton. Wouldn't they be better off if they'd got their QB last year and not had a lost season with Newton?
    You act as if it doesn't matter which one you draft. Just pick one high and plug them in.

Just ask yourself how many of the QBs on that list are better than the 2021 version of Ben. If the team turns run-centric and builds the O line, they remain as competitive as they have been the past 10 years.

- - - Updated - - -

You act as if it doesn't matter which one you draft. Just pick one high and plug them in.
    I've repeatedly stated you have to get your pre draft evaluation correct.

Every team ends up there eventually. Why not rip the band-aid off and just do the thing you have to do?

- - - Updated - - -

Honestly, it's a good discussion. Would you prefer going after a QB in a future draft class? Or just try FAs until you find a gem?

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Honestly, it's a good discussion. Would you prefer going after a QB in a future draft class? Or just try FAs until you find a gem?

The big IF in all of this is the progression of the O-Line. If the O-Line can develop, there’s a chance that either/or can succeed. If the O-Line stays where it is…there’s no chance.

Unless you’re drafting a can’t miss QB, I think a combination of a veteran and the rookie would be best. Kinda the way the 49ers are doing it. Lance clearly isn’t ready yet. Either way…throw the rookie in see how he does or throw the vet in, see how he does; short leash.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    The big IF in all of this is the progression of the O-Line. If the O-Line can develop, there’s a chance that either/or can succeed. If the O-Line stays where it is…there’s no chance.

Unless you’re drafting a can’t miss QB, I think a combination of a veteran and the rookie would be best. Kinda the way the 49ers are doing it. Lance clearly isn’t ready yet. Either way…throw the rookie in see how he does or throw the vet in, see how he does; short leash.
    True.

As long as they draft the prizes propsect guy, then the bridge makes some sense. But I have no interest in a vet FA while not drafting a guy.

No one has ever made that work out.

Senior Member Array title="Hawkman has a reputation beyond repute">

True.

As long as they draft the prizes propsect guy, then the bridge makes some sense. But I have no interest in a vet FA while not drafting a guy.

No one has ever made that work out.
    How about TB? Just asking.

Senior Member Array title="EzraTank has a reputation beyond repute"> EzraTank's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NCSteeler View Post
    Sucking for Luck did nothing for Indy. Considering that idk if you want to punish a rookie behind this line, might get concussion and retire

Well it did at first until he got hurt and was never the same, so not really a great comparison.

I really think Rudolph will be our starter next year, and the only way I'm okay with that is if we just our top picks to continue to build the OL and DL.

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkman View Post
    How about TB? Just asking.
    I am guessing the GOAT QB is not coming available this off-season.

I assumed that it was fairly obvious that if guys like Brady, Wilson, Rodgers, Mahomes, or whatever other league MVP caliber QB you wanna dream up become available -- then all bets are off. And none of this discussion matters.

The only recent team I can think of that has had sustained success with a random middle of the road vet FA signing is the Titans and the Tannehill resurgence. Then the Niners with Jimmy G and they moved off that pretty quick. The rest? I mean the Broncos moved Miller out of town to accumulate assets to get their next QB WHILE Bridgewater was helping them win. That is how certain that franchise is that Bridgewater is not an answer at the position. The Dolphins basically did the same thing to Fitzpatrick when they wanted to see what Tua had.

I guess Tyrod Taylor from 2015-17 with the Bills? Again... they soured on that enough to draft and start Josh Allen in 2018. Taylor was also only 26 when the Bills signed him and no one had given him a "chance" to be the starter. No under consideration in this discussion meets that criteria.

I realize this is just my (minority) opinion and that is totally cool. I am just trying to understand the other side of the spectrum.

Would Cam Heyward really prefer to go 8-9 for 2 years with INSERT VETERAN BRIDGE QB HERE or go through one bad season while a rookie gets up to speed and then return to contention?I have no idea. But he can talk to Keenan Allen about it this Sunday.

I've repeatedly stated you have to get your pre draft evaluation correct.

Every team ends up there eventually. Why not rip the band-aid off and just do the thing you have to do?
    But sometimes a guy you like isn't there. So it's not picking the best of the bunch, but you don't like any in the bunch. At least for R1.

I think it's a good discussion too. My preference would be to trade up and take a QB in the top 10 if there's one there. Plus, sign a veteran like Nick Foles who can hold down the position until the rookie is ready or the W/L record is crap, whichever comes first.

But the dream scenario would be to trade for Russell Wilson and have another HOF QB for the next 7-8 years.

- - - Updated - - -

I am guessing the GOAT QB is not coming available this off-season.
    Right, but you said it's never worked out. I think that's why he used the example.

Senior Member Array title="Rotorhead has a reputation beyond repute">

I am split, I see both arguments and both are valid. Do we try our luck with a bridge QB for a couple years or do we go with MR and suck for a year and draft after that. I guess I would go with a bridge QB and hope a change of locations makes them a Tannehil type of QB along with trying to gain enough draft capital to make a big move if needed. We don’t have that option this off-season for draft capital, but maybe we can trade down for more picks next draft to be able to move up.

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

Even if we start a rookie qb, a vet backup would still be useful as a mentor.

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rotorhead View Post
    I am split, I see both arguments and both are valid. Do we try our luck with a bridge QB for a couple years or do we go with MR and suck for a year and draft after that. I guess I would go with a bridge QB and hope a change of locations makes them a Tannehil type of QB along with trying to gain enough draft capital to make a big move if needed. We don’t have that option this off-season for draft capital, but maybe we can trade down for more picks next draft to be able to move up.
    Sucking for a year to get a high draft pick is a horrible plan. Half the time you will get the high draft pick and still suck anyway. Half of the other times you will either get the high draft pick and just sort of do ok, or have a couple good seasons and flame out. I just don't see the benefit. If drafting a franchise QB was a sure thing, then maybe I could see it - but it's far from a sure thing.

Since so much luck is involved with drafting QBs, if you ask me, the goal for your season should have nothing to do with your draft slot. Try to win, and try to get a good QB somehow, but those are two completely separate things. Otherwise, that's a great way to fuck yourself over.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Is there really that much difficulty in drafting a QB? Totally wondering out loud...but when I mentally review some of the prominent busts....didn't like tons of people raise lots of red flags only to have desperate teams with poor decision makers just draft the QB anyways? I know not every time...but you take out those ones...what does the remaining record look like?

For instance, I could tell that Drew Lock and Trubisky were bad decisions. Daniel Jones wasn't really a difficult one to see coming either.

Again...I wonder if you take all the QBs drafted and set aside the "busts that everyone saw coming but some desperate franchise got stuck being the one still drafting when the music stopped" and then looked at the busts that surprised folks....what is the percentage?

I am far too lazy to look it up right now...but wasn't there a decent number of people who were pessimistic on Goff and they got shouted down that everything was fine? I can't remember...

Mojouw, if you could both position yourself and draft a hall of fame quarterback, you would be a GM in the NFL. And one of the better ones.

Is there really that much difficulty in drafting a QB? Totally wondering out loud...but when I mentally review some of the prominent busts....didn't like tons of people raise lots of red flags only to have desperate teams with poor decision makers just draft the QB anyways? I know not every time...but you take out those ones...what does the remaining record look like?

For instance, I could tell that Drew Lock and Trubisky were bad decisions. Daniel Jones wasn't really a difficult one to see coming either.

Again...I wonder if you take all the QBs drafted and set aside the "busts that everyone saw coming but some desperate franchise got stuck being the one still drafting when the music stopped" and then looked at the busts that surprised folks....what is the percentage?

I am far too lazy to look it up right now...but wasn't there a decent number of people who were pessimistic on Goff and they got shouted down that everything was fine? I can't remember...
    Idk about all of them, I will definitely say the big big busts had warning signs on them.

A quick search shows NFL . Com had Goff as a probowl talent. Hahaha

Merry Christmas

Mojouw, if you could both position yourself and draft a hall of fame quarterback, you would be a GM in the NFL. And one of the better ones.
    I'm still waiting for my call.