Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Apparently Haskins era is over before it even started

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Re: Apparently Haskins era is over before it even started

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    what concerns me even more is the Front office supposedly had a 1st round grade on him ..........
    This has always been my concern as well.

you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

I'm pretty sure that "first round grade" was press conference fibbing.

What were they gonna say...we are desperate to replace our degrading franchise icon. We missed out on the first tier guys so were pretty excited about handing the keys over the franchise over to this random dirtball our scouts tell us was the best of the misfit toys left in the draft pool.

Senior Member Array title="Steeler-in-west has a reputation beyond repute"> Steeler-in-west's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    I'm pretty sure that "first round grade" was press conference fibbing.

What were they gonna say...we are desperate to replace our degrading franchise icon. We missed out on the first tier guys so were pretty excited about handing the keys over the franchise over to this random dirtball our scouts tell us was the best of the misfit toys left in the draft pool.
    maybe the steelers didn't draft Rudolph to be the heir apparent. Maybe he was just picked up as hopefully developing into a good backup and maybe a starter at some point. This heir apparent stuff was probably created by the media and fans. I'm pretty sure the steelers knew what they were getting with Rudolph. Anyway, if they spent a 1st on a QB Ben would've thrown a fit and maybe requested a trade

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

That grade was confirmed by Colbert. If it’s not true, why say anything at all in regards to his “draft grade”? You just don’t say anything or you throw the “we don’t share our draft grades with the public”. No reason to confirm it unless he really believed it.

Senior Member Array title="Dissolv is a splendid one to behold"> Dissolv's Avatar

So they are bad at Cornerback and Quarterback.....

Senior Member Array title="Steeler-in-west has a reputation beyond repute"> Steeler-in-west's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    That grade was confirmed by Colbert. If it’s not true, why say anything at all in regards to his “draft grade”? You just don’t say anything or you throw the “we don’t share our draft grades with the public”. No reason to confirm it unless he really believed it.
    “could be an eventual starter in this league at some point”.

Colbert just explaining and justifying why he took a QB in the late 3rd. Rudolph was expected to backup Ben and maybe take over as a starter here. We imagined the rest. I’m sure they had slightly different expectations for Ben when they drafted him at 11.

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

Because when it comes to the draft, NFL GMs lie like politicians.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
    Has a GM ever not said they liked all their picks and got highly rated players?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

I have told many women that they deserved a “first round grade”…

So you think they had a much lower grade on Rudolph but would come out and say they had a first round grade on him to the media? Knowing that’s something that could eventually blow up in their faces?

If so, would he say that Benny Snell had a first round grade? Just to be “politically correct” for Benny’s sake?

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

So you think they had a much lower grade on Rudolph but would come out and say they had a first round grade on him to the media? Knowing that’s something that could eventually blow up in their faces?

If so, would he say that Benny Snell had a first round grade? Just to be “politically correct” for Benny’s sake?
    They had a 1st round grade on him, yet figured they could wait until the middle of the 3rd to grab him and he would still be there? OK.

And I've been on record on this very board saying that history has not been kind to the Steelers as far as their QB choices go. I, for one, am expecting a (hopefully not too long of a) wait for Roethlisberger's heir apparent.

They had a 1st round grade on him, yet figured they could wait until the middle of the 3rd to grab him and he would still be there? OK.

And I've been on record on this very board saying that history has not been kind to the Steelers as far as their QB choices go. I, for one, am expecting a (hopefully not too long of a) wait for Roethlisberger's heir apparent.
    unless they manage to grab Rodgers or Russell Wilson i think they're headed for a down year next season (say with a game manager FA pickup or Rudolph) i which case they could be setup to get a QB in the top 15 in 23.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

James Washington and Highsmith have both come out and said that tweet about Haskins was BS.

I think they had the first round grade on him and he just wound up lasting until the third round. Clearly no other team thought he was worth it and as history goes, the Steelers arent great at drafting QBs. The whole 2018 draft class was pretty much underwhelming. I guess they couldve taken him over Edmunds or Washington but at the time, they kind of needed safety help and a third WR as Sean Davis, Mike MItchell and Martavis Bryant were trending downhill.

Since Colbert was with the Steelers: Tee Martin, Brian St. Pierre, BEN ROETHLISBERGER, Omar Jacobs, Dennis Dixon, Landry Jones, Joshua Dobbs, Mason Rudolph. There's Ben and there's a couple decades worth of garbage. I think it's safe to assume the wait between Ben and the "next guy" is going to be a very long time...

If you don't really have the first round grade on him, you just don't say anything. You're just setting the team up for further ridicule and criticism.

Senior Member Array title="Edman has a reputation beyond repute">

Tee Martin, Brian St. Pierre, BEN ROETHLISBERGER, Omar Jacobs, Dennis Dixon, Landry Jones, Joshua Dobbs, Mason Rudolph.
    One of those eight quarterbacks, only one of them was a first round draft pick, and the majority of them were drafted to back up Ben.

Quote Originally Posted by Edman View Post
    One of those eight quarterbacks, only one of them was a first round draft pick, and the majority of them were drafted to back up Ben.
    Regardless...it's not a pretty list...

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteeler View Post
    who was the last QB that Colbert drafted and got right?

and it wasn't Ben, Rooney had to step in and prevent Colbert and Cowher from drafting Shawn Andrews instead.
    Another good question is ...After drafting Terry Bradshaw in 1970, what good QB did Dick Haley draft?

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    Another good question is ...After drafting Terry Bradshaw in 1970, what good QB did Dick Haley draft?
    When your QB’s are picked after the 2nd round your chances of getting a ‘good’ QB are low. That being said, I always thought Brister was decent - he won a few playoff games.

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Steeler-in-west View Post
    When your QB’s are picked after the 2nd round your chances of getting a ‘good’ QB are low. That being said, I always thought Brister was decent - he won a few playoff games.
    Brister wasn't bad, and O'Donnel I think would have won a SB if he stayed in Pittsburgh. We had a great defense that was wasted on Tomczak and Stewart (although I thought Stewart was fun to watch)

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

True, but I guess the fact that Brister was picked in 1986 after Bradshaw retired, is something that many here are missing.

Its not like the Steelers were actively seeking a franchise QB, while they already had one in place like Terry Bradshaw. Just like all the guys mentioned like Dennis Dixon, Brian St. Pierre, Tee Martin, Landry Jones, etc, were never drafted to challenge Ben for the starting job. They were drafted to see if they could be a Gary Kubiak or Frank Reich backup to the franchise QB.

True, but I guess the fact that Brister was picked in 1986 after Bradshaw retired, is something that many here are missing.

Its not like the Steelers were actively seeking a franchise QB, while they already had one in place like Terry Bradshaw. Just like all the guys mentioned like Dennis Dixon, Brian St. Pierre, Tee Martin, Landry Jones, etc, were never drafted to challenge Ben for the starting job. They were drafted to see if they could be a Gary Kubiak or Frank Reich backup to the franchise QB.
    Which is the point of my comment. They weren’t even back up worthy. Not even Dan Orlovsky worthy…Rudolph I would say is above the others listed.

Apparently Haskins era is over before it even started

Out of curiosity I checked (before 1983) and these are his draft selections:

Joe Gilliam
    Frank Kolch
    Mike Kruczek
    Cliff Stoudt
    Mark Malone

I think I would take that group of 5 over any combination of the other backups drafted.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

We're now measuring GMs by the quality of backup QBs drafted??

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    We're now measuring GMs by the quality of backup QBs drafted??
    Just overall talent evaluations…lol. History isn’t so good with CB, QB, S, etc. That furthers the point that maybe it’s not a terrible idea to draft a QB but also sign a competent free agent.

Quote Originally Posted by Fire Goodell View Post
    Brister wasn't bad, and O'Donnel I think would have won a SB if he stayed in Pittsburgh. We had a great defense that was wasted on Tomczak and Stewart (although I thought Stewart was fun to watch)
    agreed about O’Donnell, I think he would’ve had more success and possibly a super bowl win in Pittsburgh and media and fans might’ve even forgiven him for super bowl 30.

brister was chosen by Haley was he not?

I know brister was taken in round 3, but they must not have been too happy with Malone. They probably thought Brister had a chance to replace him and become the franchise QB. Although I don’t know why they didn’t do that with a 1st round pick. They did it with Malone, with a first, who was supposed to take over for an aging Bradshaw but that didn’t work out too well.

3 first round QB picks in 52 years. With one miss out of three. You could say that’s why we had a QB drought between Terry and Ben. You would think the team would’ve picked QB in the first round a couple more times - say once every 10 years….

brister was chosen by Haley was he not?

I know brister was taken in round 3, but they must not have been too happy with Malone. They probably thought Brister had a chance to replace him and become the franchise QB. Although I don’t know why they didn’t do that with a 1st round pick. They did it with Malone, with a first, who was supposed to take over for an aging Bradshaw but that didn’t work out too well.

3 first round QB picks in 52 years. With one miss out of three. You could say that’s why we had a QB drought between Terry and Ben. You would think the team would’ve picked QB in the first round a couple more times - say once every 10 years….
    Brister was but it was after Bradshaw had retired. 1986 and started playing significantly in 1988.

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Out of curiosity I checked (before 1983) and these are his draft selections:

Joe Gilliam
    Frank Kolch
    Mike Kruczek
    Cliff Stoudt
    Mark Malone

I think I would take that group of 5 over any combination of the other backups drafted.
    I'd take Gilliam and maybe Kruczek (all he did was handoff to Rocky and Franco) . Stoudt - hell no. Malone is Magnum PI and I don't remember the other guy.