Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DJ vs. AB

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

DJ vs. AB

To start with, I'm not saying that DJ will become as great as AB. Time will tell. But I will compare their first three seasons.

AB:
    151 catches, 2062 yards, 7 TDs

DJ:
    199 catches, 2216 yards, 15 TDs (through 9 games of his 3rd season)
    Projects to 245 catches, 2761 yards and 18 TDs

DJ had a drop problem with 13 in 2020. This season, DJ has zero drops.

I'd also add that AB had prime Ben throwing to him and DJ has declined Ben.

I think the sky is the limit for DJ and yes I hated that he got stripped of the ball Sunday, but I also saw the look of pain on his face afterwards. He's a young man that wants to succeed very bad. As far as I know, he's a model citizen and good teammate.

I thought about posting this in the negative thread about DJ, but wanted to make sure that his accomplishments weren't being obscured.

Quote Originally Posted by Edman View Post
    Can you please tell me what's so good about this guy again?

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Re: DJ vs. AB

That is quite the comparison.

I do not understand the DJ haters. He's clearly a legitimate top threat at WR.

Well there you have it... Array title="NCSteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> NCSteeler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post

He's not Hines Ward. Haha

For me he's a little light in the britches , but can easily out run guys if he can get clear.

No matter if he keeps up the TDs , a few drops , a fumble and being easy to tackle won't matter

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
    Merry Christmas

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Has the physical tools but needs to work on his mental focus.

Senior Member Array title="Steeler-in-west has a reputation beyond repute"> Steeler-in-west's Avatar

he's got potential but its hard to compare when AB had prime Ben throwing to him and DJ has 2021 Ben. DJ needs a QB who can maximize talents. Then the comparisons are easier to make.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

AB at his prime was a deserved pro bowler, a game changer and a WR that was arguably top 3 in the NFL.

So far I dont see Johnson has established himself as any of those yet. Maybe he will, but I dont even think its a fair comparison at this point.

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    AB at his prime was a deserved pro bowler, a game changer and a WR that was arguably top 3 in the NFL.

So far I dont see Johnson has established himself as any of those yet. Maybe he will, but I dont even think its a fair comparison at this point.
    Agreed. AB was so dependable, hardly ever injured or missed a game. Always making big plays and you expected it to happen every time he got the ball, he seldom dropped a ball. He was driven to be the best and I just don't see it in DJ. I hope DJ improves and succeeds as long as he's a Steeler but I don't see him reaching AB's level.

I don't see the comparison

Senior Member Array title="Steeler-in-west has a reputation beyond repute"> Steeler-in-west's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shoes View Post
    Agreed. AB was so dependable, hardly ever injured or missed a game. Always making big plays and you expected it to happen every time he got the ball, he seldom dropped a ball. He was driven to be the best and I just don't see it in DJ. I hope DJ improves and succeeds as long as he's a Steeler but I don't see him reaching AB's level.

I don't see the comparison

Man, Ben used to sling that ball effortlessly

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Steeler-in-west View Post
    Man, Ben used to sling that ball effortlessly
    It's like a dream, now its a bad dream.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

DJ vs. AB

Quote Originally Posted by tube517 View Post
    Has the physical tools but needs to work on his mental focus.
    This is my problem with him. From Day One I’ve said he looks a lot like AB when he has the ball…very shifty. He makes some dumb mistakes. He also has some selfish attitude in him as well that you can see on the field at times. A little “pouty”.

I guess we will see if the team will offer him an AB type contract, maybe they see it as well. But not quite AB yet…AB/Ben were on their way to being one of, if not the best combo ever.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

DJ’s draft class includes: DK Metcalf, Terry McLaurin, Deebo Samuel, and AJ Brown.

Yet, DJ has more receptions than all of them.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

So are you saying that AB was all of that in his first three years? Because that's the comparison.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    So are you saying that AB was all of that in his first three years? Because that's the comparison.
    Brown started a total of 13 games in his first 3 seasons for the stats noted.

Dionte Johnson has started 32 games and counting in his first 3 seasons.

Antonio Brown's first 3 seasons in the NFL had him behind Hines Ward, Mike Wallace and Emanuel Sanders on the depth chart. Can compare the stats all we want, but AB came into the league as a 6th round pick fighting to make the team each year and hungry. Johnson is a 3rd round pick on a less talented WR group, who seems more entitled about his status on the depth chart than hungry to be better.

I will go out and say that Johnson will never be an all pro, never be a top 5 WR in the league and only make 1 pro bowl, if enough better receivers choose not to attend. Johnson will be a good complimentary receiver, but never a primary receiver or somebody considered to be top 10 in the league. Stats, schmats.

Antonio Brown's first 3 seasons in the NFL had him behind Hines Ward, Mike Wallace and Emanuel Sanders on the depth chart. Can compare the stats all we want, but AB came into the league as a 6th round pick fighting to make the team each year and hungry. Johnson is a 3rd round pick on a less talented WR group, who seems more entitled about his status on the depth chart than hungry to be better.

I will go out and say that Johnson will never be an all pro, never be a top 5 WR in the league and only make 1 pro bowl, if enough better receivers choose not to attend. Johnson will be a good complimentary receiver, but never a primary receiver or somebody considered to be top 10 in the league. Stats, schmats.

Well said.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

DJ gets open. Period.

Against zone, he gets open 87% of the time. The second-highest is DeAndre Hopkins at 82%.

Against man, he gets open 77% of the time, which is second-best (right behind Davante Adams at 79%).

Correct. But I'm not going to ding DJ because he's good enough to start.

Hines Ward was in the twilight of his career. Mike Wallace was a one-trick pony that got exposed after leaving Pittsburgh. And AB was ahead of Sanders on the depth chart.

It's interesting that you see DJ as the one having an attitude/maturity problem over AB. I can't agree. I think the drops is a great example of DJ working on his game. 13 last year and 0 this year. As for the one fumble this year, AB had 3 in his third year.

Speaking of players around each of them, how about AB having a top 5 QB throwing him the ball and DJ having a bottom 5 QB throwing to him?

I bet you're not on the record as saying AB was going to be a hall of famer after his third year. I'm not saying that DJ will even make one Pro Bowl, much less be what AB was in his prime, arguably the best WR in football for a four-year stretch. But I do think that the 3-year comparison is interesting and noteworthy.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    DJ gets open. Period.

Against zone, he gets open 87% of the time. The second-highest is DeAndre Hopkins at 82%.

Against man, he gets open 77% of the time, which is second-best (right behind Davante Adams at 79%).
    If he only had a top 5 QB throwing the ball to him............

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

Mike Wallace was a one-trick pony that got exposed after leaving Pittsburgh.
    "It wasn't his job to jump for passes!" - steeldawg

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

How did we get to entitled and lazy in like a dozen posts?

Senior Member Array title="EzraTank has a reputation beyond repute"> EzraTank's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post

Agreed, and like DS pointed out he has old Ben throwing to him. Imagine a QB with a legit arm.

- - - Updated - - -

Watching him return kicks just makes me want to vomit in my mouth now when McCloud touches it. Also one knock on DJ is he always seems to look for the sidelines when he catches it, something AB rarely did.

Man I miss that Ben (the 3:37 mark) where he could escape and hit a guy DEEP down field.

Correct. But I'm not going to ding DJ because he's good enough to start.

Hines Ward was in the twilight of his career. Mike Wallace was a one-trick pony that got exposed after leaving Pittsburgh. And AB was ahead of Sanders on the depth chart.

It's interesting that you see DJ as the one having an attitude/maturity problem over AB. I can't agree. I think the drops is a great example of DJ working on his game. 13 last year and 0 this year. As for the one fumble this year, AB had 3 in his third year.

Speaking of players around each of them, how about AB having a top 5 QB throwing him the ball and DJ having a bottom 5 QB throwing to him?

I bet you're not on the record as saying AB was going to be a hall of famer after his third year. I'm not saying that DJ will even make one Pro Bowl, much less be what AB was in his prime, arguably the best WR in football for a four-year stretch. But I do think that the 3-year comparison is interesting and noteworthy.

- - - Updated - - -

If he only had a top 5 QB throwing the ball to him............
    Coming out of college DJ was a player with lateral quickness and moves to defeat the jam and get in and out of breaks, but not a straight line speed receiver that will run away from defenders. He also had a history of focus drops, which could be concerning. Was a guy that could be a WR2-WR3 in the NFL and drew some Travis Benjamin comparisons.

I think that scouting report is holding true in the NFL.

Coming out of college DJ was a player with lateral quickness and moves to defeat the jam and get in and out of breaks, but not a straight line speed receiver that will run away from defenders. He also had a history of focus drops, which could be concerning. Was a guy that could be a WR2-WR3 in the NFL and drew some Travis Benjamin comparisons.

While I am not going to put DJ and AB on the same level - are you really going to stick with the DJ is Travis Benjamin? That might be a bit of an over-correction.

I, and I am just speculating here, think that DS was just attempting to offer a counter-point to the increasingly common opinion that DJ is a crap WR that the team would be best served to let walk as soon as they can.

Guy is basically always NFL open. And this year has almost totally eliminated drops from his game. And is a legitimate YAC threat on every route. He has flaws...but sheesh...

Senior Member Array title="EzraTank has a reputation beyond repute"> EzraTank's Avatar

Again I'm agreeing with Moj. AB = way better than DJ in his prime. DJ has potential to be that good but nothing is pointing to that.

That said he's a legit #1/#2 receiver in this league. I'd rather have 3 very good receivers then one stud and two okay receivers. When Juju is healthy we have that.

I see greater potential than that scouting report. Obviously, AB didn't have a great scouting report coming out of college, nor does he have any better straight line speed than DJ. Again, I'm not trying to make DJ into AB, but as far as college and the first three years in the league, they are very similar. I do think that DJ has the potential to be a top 10 WR in this league if he has a legit QB throwing to him.

I see greater potential than that scouting report. Obviously, AB didn't have a great scouting report coming out of college, nor does he have any better straight line speed than DJ. Again, I'm not trying to make DJ into AB, but as far as college and the first three years in the league, they are very similar. I do think that DJ has the potential to be a top 10 WR in this league if he has a legit QB throwing to him.
    Cool. We can see how things work out in the next few seasons and maybe you are right.

What I see is a guy with limitations to his game and I think he will always have those limitations. The unfortunate thing to see was how he handled himself after the fumble. Him going to the bench and hanging his head with still over 7:00 left in the OT period is not the kind of attitude that I would perfer to see from a player. A guy pouting and starting to check out with 7:00 left in a game isnt the kind of competitor that becomes a top 10 WR, IMO.

I see we have gotten to the body language portion of player evals. Always a critical and flawless criteria.

People would be just as pissed if he went to the bench and started clapping and cheering. So he's too sad. But he could've been too happy. Maybe if he would'v cheered but had a single tear roll down his cheek...his body langauge would've been in the goldilocks zone?

Cool. We can see how things work out in the next few seasons and maybe you are right.

What I see is a guy with limitations to his game and I think he will always have those limitations. The unfortunate thing to see was how he handled himself after the fumble. Him going to the bench and hanging his head with still over 7:00 left in the OT period is not the kind of attitude that I would perfer to see from a player. A guy pouting and starting to check out with 7:00 left in a game isnt the kind of competitor that becomes a top 10 WR, IMO.
    And what I saw was a guy in pain because he let his team down. Two perspectives.

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

Man, since we're talking about a legit QB, I remember when Ben was in his prime, it could be a 3rd and 15 situation with the game on the line and I wouldn't be all that worried. I lost count of how many 3rd and longs or even 3rd and 20 that have been converted as a result of Ben extending plays and hitting long passes. Those days are gone unfortunately lol.

DJ and AB, that's the comparison between a good player and an all-pro (and future hall of famer). DJ is good enough to start on any team in the NFL, he probably will make the pro bowl a few times in his career. But AB is really on a different level. They have similar talent as far as quickness and speed, but AB is pretty much on par with Jerry Rice when it came to work ethic and perfecting his craft. The difference between AB is his fundamentals were flawless, the guy rarely ever made mistakes or coughed up the ball. On the other hand, DJ can be accident prone at very bad times. Not to mention AB literally caught everything thrown at him. DJ not so much.

DJ has the ability to be every bit as good as AB, but will he? I mean anything's possible but I won't hold my breath. To be as great as AB you have to put in the same number of hours AB did. Love or hate the guy, he has a real passion for football and probably spent 5-6 hours a day training.

And what I saw was a guy in pain because he let his team down. Two perspectives.
    For sure. Different perspectives on the situation.

What I see is this.

...and I would never prefer to go to battle with a guy that stops to feel sorry for himself, when the fight is still on.

For sure. Different perspectives on the situation.

What I see is this.

...and I would never prefer to go to battle with a guy that stops to feel sorry for himself, when the fight is still on.
    What was he supposed to be doing on the sideline at the exact second that the camera was on him, while the defense was on the field?

What was he supposed to be doing on the sideline at the exact second that the camera was on him, while the defense was on the field?