Thread: Ties are stupid, there shouldn't be ties anymore.

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Ties are stupid, there shouldn't be ties anymore.

No joke, all the rule changes they've made to overtime have just gotten too stupid to continue. Boo-hoo, Peyton Manning got his feelings hurt once, so let's get rid of sudden death. Wait, that didn't work out quite like we hoped, and now it's a twisted mess that people hate, so let's add more rules. Oh wait, now it's even more of a twisted mess, so let's add even more rules. Oh hey, I know what will solve it, let's take away 5 minutes, that'll fix things for sure.

Really, what idiot thought shortening overtime to 10 minutes was a good idea? You got something more important to do with those 5 minutes? Oh wait, let me guess, "player safety," right? Because a few extra minutes every couple years is what's gonna make all the difference in that. No. Fuck you. Player safety is just what you always say to try and convince people to go along with whatever dumb idea you came up with.

There is no legitimate reason why there should even be the possibility of a tie in a professional sports league in 2021. Figure out a way to have a winner. Play until somebody wins, 25 overtimes if that's what it takes. Ties don't do anyone any good, at best they just screw things up in the playoff race. Nobody ever got to the end if the season and said "phew, good thing we had that tie." It might as well be a loss for both teams. So might as well play until you actually have a result. I don't care what it is - infinite sudden death, the college overtime rules if no one scores, have the kickers swing their helmets at each other until one of them is unconscious. Just get your shit together so that someone wins the game.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

Re: Ties are stupid, there shouldn't be ties anymore.

100% agreed.
    1. Graham Barton, C, Duke 2. Ricky Pearsall, WR, Florida 3. Maason Smith, DT, LSU 3. Max Melton, CB, Rutgers 4. Blake Fisher, OT, Notre Dame 6. Tommy Eichenberg, ILB, Ohio State 6. MJ Devonshire, CB, Pittsburgh

Member Array title="buzz998 is a jewel in the rough">

agreed here as well

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

At least we didn’t lose

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Really…who cares?

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="Steeler-in-west has a reputation beyond repute"> Steeler-in-west's Avatar

A tie feels like a bye

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Really…who cares?
    When you see something stupid, it's a natural reaction to go "fuck that, it's stupid."

Sure, so it's not a huge deal. It shouldn't be a huge deal to fix it either.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="stillers4me has a reputation beyond repute"> stillers4me's Avatar

I've never understood the concept that the first team has to score a touchdown to win but the second team can win with FG. Put the rule back to first points win and get it over with.

Senior Member Array title="SteeleReign is a name known to all">

I'd prefer a kicker shootout, a la hockey. If OT doesn't decide the winner, start kicking at the 40, moving back 5 yards after each made FG until someone misses.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Tomlin needed the tie for his non-losing season.

Senior Member Array title="EzraTank has a reputation beyond repute"> EzraTank's Avatar

They should just do what the NCAA does. Each team gets the ball in the red zone at the 20 with 4 downs, until someone's defense holds. If both teams score, then you do it again with the ball at the 15, then the 10 until someone holds.

Now the playoffs should be sudden death no matter what.

Senior Member Array title="CV1 is a jewel in the rough"> CV1's Avatar

I’ll be surprised if we split the remaining games and end up 9-7-1

I’m hopeful we will be 8-8-1

But I truly can only say of the remaining games that 3 are favorable; but today showed being favorable means diddly… we couldn’t beat the Lions who had a gimp at QB.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by stillers4me View Post
    I've never understood the concept that the first team has to score a touchdown to win but the second team can win with FG. Put the rule back to first points win and get it over with.
    I agree. That plus make OT 15 mins long again, don't know why it was changed.

Senior Member Array title="Rotorhead has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by CV1 View Post
    I’ll be surprised if we split the remaining games and end up 9-7-1

I’m hopeful we will be 8-8-1

But I truly can only say of the remaining games that 3 are favorable; but today showed being favorable means diddly… we couldn’t beat the Lions who had a gimp at QB.

Lol, we basically had a gimp at QB also

Senior Member Array title="CV1 is a jewel in the rough"> CV1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rotorhead View Post
    Lol, we basically had a gimp at QB also
    Touché

Once, we were L Legends Array title="oneforthetoe has a reputation beyond repute">

First team to five successful two point conversations. And please have teams alternate between end zones so we can watch million dollar athletes slowly walk from one side of the field to the other. If neither team reaches five successful 2 point conversions within 15 minutes then the head referee just askes the captains "I'm thinking of a number between 1 and 100."

Senior Member Array title="that1guy is a splendid one to behold">

Employ the College Football OT rules during the preseason and see if it spices things up. Overtime has become boring.

Ravens Fan Extraordinaire Array title="Crow-Magnon has a reputation beyond repute"> Crow-Magnon's Avatar

In all fairness, that game was likely won with a FG until Muth fumbled. Had that happened, this thread wouldn’t exist. Regardless, you can’t keep players on the field hours after the end of regulation. If you can’t get it done in 10:00, a tie is what you get. And in yesterday’s game, a FG with 0:08 on the clock should have sealed the deal.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Crow-Magnon View Post
    In all fairness, that game was likely won with a FG until Muth fumbled. Had that happened, this thread wouldn’t exist. Regardless, you can’t keep players on the field hours after the end of regulation. If you can’t get it done in 10:00, a tie is what you get. And in yesterday’s game, a FG with 0:08 on the clock should have sealed the deal.
    In hindsight, attempting a 58 yard field goal would have been the safer option.

With 8 seconds left, I get the idea of gaining 5 yards (which Muth did) in order to make it a 53 yard FG. But, Muth was in bounds (even if he hadn’t fumbled)… and I’m not sure that have time to spike it. Oh well.

Ravens Fan Extraordinaire Array title="Crow-Magnon has a reputation beyond repute"> Crow-Magnon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post

With 8 seconds left, I get the idea of gaining 5 yards (which Muth did) in order to make it a 53 yard FG. But, Muth was in bounds (even if he hadn’t fumbled)… and I’m not sure that have time to spike it. Oh well.
    I thought Pittsburgh still had one TO remaining? Were they out of time outs? Man, that was seriously one wild OT period.

Senior Member Array title="EzraTank has a reputation beyond repute"> EzraTank's Avatar

Again it comes down to our stupid play scheming. I've seen so many teams over the years run the quick out play to get 5-10 yards. Either it's there or it's not, but to throw to a TE 5 yards in bounds with two guys standing there, just stupid. Either you hit the out route or you don't and take your chances with a 59 yarder.

Senior Member Array title="j-d-s is a jewel in the rough">

Actually, you can spike the ball in 5 seconds. That's pretty much the fastest and everything has to go smooth. 7 seconds is doable.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Yes, the 58 yard FG try would have been an option, but they obviously made the decision that it wasnt within range given the conditions, so instead tried to get a few more yards.

Knowing that they have zero Timeouts left, there has to be a priority to get out of bounds, because there isnt enough time to get up and spike the ball, as teams generally want 18-20 seconds on the clock so the play clock doesnt run out.

Friermuth needs to look at getting to the sidelines as soon as he caught the football, not turn up the field and take on contact. Still, I dont know if he makes it, as the defender was on him pretty quickly. I also think you take a shot at the 58 yarder FG, but they have that talked out with the kicker and coaches long before the play, as to what he feels the range is .

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

I thought Pittsburgh still had one TO remaining? Were they out of time outs? Man, that was seriously one wild OT period.
    Alas, no… they were out of tune outs.

Indeed, it was the craziest OT I’ve ever seen.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by j-d-s View Post
    Actually, you can spike the ball in 5 seconds. That's pretty much the fastest and everything has to go smooth. 7 seconds is doable.
    The play started with 8 seconds left. Either Muth gets out of bounds or the game is over.

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

They need to go back to 15 minutes and sudden death, with the caveat that they keep playing until someone finally scores. Sudden death OT worked just fine for decades until Peyton Manning lost a playoff game thanks to his defense sucking and his mancrush Peter King very loudly and publicly throwing a shitfit over the fact that Manning didn't get off the sideline during the OT.

Defense matters.

Quote Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
    They need to go back to 15 minutes and sudden death, with the caveat that they keep playing until someone finally scores. Sudden death OT worked just fine for decades until Peyton Manning lost a playoff game thanks to his defense sucking and his mancrush Peter King very loudly and publicly throwing a shitfit over the fact that Manning didn't get off the sideline during the OT.

Defense matters.
    No shit, just untimed sudden death, what's so difficult about that?

All those people arguing for the current garbage rule-crazy way of doing it were all just saying, "b-but ... is it really FAIR that Peyton Manning didn't even get a chance to win the game?"

Yes, it was completely fair.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="Steeler-in-west has a reputation beyond repute"> Steeler-in-west's Avatar

it was a marketing scheme. Keeping the integrity of the game intact had nothing to do with it.

Senior Member Array title="Lady Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Lady Steel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by stillers4me View Post

I agree with the OP. Ties ARE stupid. Let them out there to fight for the win until the bitter end.