Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Diontae Johnson

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Re: Diontae Johnson

Quote Originally Posted by tube517 View Post
    Juju and PF are the Hines and Heath of this generation. Add in Najee and it's a solid foundation.
    Agreed.

Senior Member Array title="Moose has a brilliant future">

I may be wrong, but shouldn't a PROFESSIONAL RB or WR KNOW HOW to carry a football by the time he/she is playing in the NFL ?? Thought they taught that in pee wee, grade school and high school.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    I don't recall reading any comments like that on here. Perhaps there was an exception or two. I think, generally, other posters just see him as a better receiver than you do. That said, his game was a disappointment yesterday. I personally think it's going to be hard to figure out how good any of these receivers are until a legit QB is throwing them the ball. And if Mason takes over, that could be a long while.
    You just have to scroll up to see suggestions that he should have made the Pro Bowl. And again, I think he is a good WR, but not great. Not a Pro Bowl type guy, or even a reliable goto receiver.

I think if a veteran bridge QB is brought in, or even an established veteran, that we may see how good all of these WR's are. 2021 Ben was not 2014 Ben, and I think a lot of fans miss that point. A guy with diminished skills and coming off elbow surgery has been throwing to Steelers WR's for a couple seasons now.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Moose View Post
    I may be wrong, but shouldn't a PROFESSIONAL RB or WR KNOW HOW to carry a football by the time he/she is playing in the NFL ?? Thought they taught that in pee wee, grade school and high school.
    They also teach defensive players how to strip the football from RB's and WR's in pee wee, grade school and high school. They become even better at it as PROFFESSIONAL LB and DB's.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post

They also teach defensive players how to strip the football from RB's and WR's in pee wee, grade school and high school. They become even better at it as PROFFESSIONAL LB and DB's.
    Or just punch the ball carrier in the gut 6 times like TJ.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tube517 View Post
    Juju and PF are the Hines and Heath of this generation. Add in Najee and it's a solid foundation.
    Was just thinking this last night. Hines wasn’t really a number one receiver, but he kinda was a dependable guy that served as a number one and had arguably a Hall of Fame career somehow...

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="EzraTank has a reputation beyond repute"> EzraTank's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Steeler-in-west View Post
    He had a couple drive killing drops when the game was still in the balance. Just can’t do that in the biggest game of the year. I would definitely try to resign juju who is more reliable and try to acquire another receiver with top speed in the off-season
    Again in terms of CAP space cutting him and resigning Juju makes no sense when you need a QB, CB (after Haden leaves), OL and defensive tackles.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Obviously, we keep DJ. Do we re-sign him? Who knows.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    Obviously, we keep DJ. Do we re-sign him? Who knows.
    They have another season to find out. Sure, he hits the market then but signing him this off-season is going to be 12-15 million average yearly. I’d wait and see.

Drops or no drops. You catch as many balls as he does, you get paid.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    They have another season to find out. Sure, he hits the market then but signing him this off-season is going to be 12-15 million average yearly. I’d wait and see.

Drops or no drops. You catch as many balls as he does, you get paid.
    If JuJu comes back... if Claypool figurs it out... if a team offers DJ $15 million...

We let him go, and take the R3 comp pick.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    If JuJu comes back... if Claypool figurs it out... if a team offers DJ $15 million...

We let him go, and take the R3 comp pick.
    Kind of where I’m at.

Or if he totally “breaks out” you can sign him in that window between the SB and the start of FA.

For me, there’s no rush to sign DJ. While I think he can catch 100 passes a year for the next 4 years…

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    Kind of where I’m at.

Or if he totally “breaks out” you can sign him in that window between the SB and the start of FA.

For me, there’s no rush to sign DJ. While I think he can catch 100 passes a year for the next 4 years…
    Exactly

Senior Member Array title="Steeler-in-west has a reputation beyond repute"> Steeler-in-west's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by EzraTank View Post
    Again in terms of CAP space cutting him and resigning Juju makes no sense when you need a QB, CB (after Haden leaves), OL and defensive tackles.
    a QB, whoever it is, needs someone reliable to throw to. 2-3 years ago When our line could hold for more than 2 seconds juju proved to be able to get open anywhere on the field. I would sign him as a no 2. We also need a fast receiver to pair up with him to help stretch the field.

dj has proved to have butterfingers and is a poor route runner. Whether they cut him or let him finish out his contract I would definitely look for that more reliable speedy receiver to help stretch the field. I won’t even bring up AB but so far dj and claypool have not even looked like half the receiver MB was (marijuana and all)

Senior Member Array title="EzraTank has a reputation beyond repute"> EzraTank's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Steeler-in-west View Post
    a QB, whoever it is, needs someone reliable to throw to. 2-3 years ago When our line could hold for more than 2 seconds juju proved to be able to get open anywhere on the field. I would sign him as a no 2. We also need a fast receiver to pair up with him to help stretch the field.

dj has proved to have butterfingers and is a poor route runner. Whether they cut him or let him finish out his contract I would definitely look for that more reliable speedy receiver to help stretch the field. I won’t even bring up AB but so far dj and claypool have not even looked like half the receiver MB was (marijuana and all)
    I'm just glad you're not running my team and its CAP space.

Senior Member Array title="Steeler-in-west has a reputation beyond repute"> Steeler-in-west's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by EzraTank View Post
    I'm just glad you're not running my team and its CAP space.
    There is such a thing as the draft and the Steelers have what 44 million as of now in cap space? They can’t search for another receiver?

if you don’t identify what your needs and deficiencies are your pretty much stuck at ground zero.

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

So basically, the players see something that may work and the OC says we are running this set of plays.

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    So basically, the players see something that may work and the OC says we are running this set of plays.

Yes, and on top of that DJ can't catch and has a tweety bird between his ears

Johnson had the third most catches vs. single coverage:

Adams - 50
    Jefferson - 45
    Johnson - 44

His stats are not bad, 11 yards per catch, which is about middle of the pack. But he’s not a big play receiver- he couldn’t make the crucial plays in the biggest game of the year, he’s the Neil O’Donnell of receivers - that’s why I’d rather the Steelers pay juju than resign him.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

By all rational standards of measurement, DJ has exceeded expectations. Especially based on his draft status and the fact he's had a severely declined Ben throwing him the ball. Drops improved for most of the season. I expect him to come back in 2022 ready to take the next step. He's the last of our problems.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Johnson had the third most catches vs. single coverage:

Adams - 50
    Jefferson - 45
    Johnson - 44
    In this passing offense who needed double covered?!

Senior Member Array title="Rotorhead has a reputation beyond repute">

So “Blame Canada?”

Quote Originally Posted by Rotorhead View Post
    So “Blame Canada?”

Seems like some of the players are, but DJ shouldn't be the one saying it when he's dropping balls in a big game.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shoes View Post
    Seems like some of the players are, but DJ shouldn't be the one saying it when he's dropping balls in a big game.
    I am not going to judge what a guy should or should not say. I'm kind of tired of the subject and gonna do what DJ would do and ....Just Drop It.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Just bumping this thread since the subject of 'NEW CONTRACT MONEY' seems to be the subject of the day today.

Senior Member Array title="Hawkman has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    Just bumping this thread since the subject of 'NEW CONTRACT MONEY' seems to be the subject of the day today.
    You felt the need to have two DJ threads…this one that hasn’t been contributed to in nearly a month ….so that we will post in both? Not sure I understand.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkman View Post
    You felt the need to have two DJ threads…this one that hasn’t been contributed to in nearly a month ….so that we will post in both? Not sure I understand.
    This thread was fans on here discussing DJ and how they felt about him as a player. I only scanned it but looks like most of the discussion was disappointment. Now that a thread has come up about him wanting a new contract, I thought people might like to look back at how they felt at the end of the season vs today.

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

This thread was fans on here discussing DJ and how they felt about him as a player. I only scanned it but looks like most of the discussion was disappointment. Now that a thread has come up about him wanting a new contract, I thought people might like to look back at how they felt at the end of the season vs today.
    just like with Mike Wallace, you can never have enough Diontae Johnson threads on the front page.

Senior Member Array title="Hawkman has a reputation beyond repute">

You give too much credit for some here, who might look back and contradict what they posted at some time….when they were thinking….differently.

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteeler View Post
    just like with Mike Wallace, you can never have enough Diontae Johnson threads on the front page.
    We should pick one of the threads and the other we should do what DJ would and .....Drop It.

Senior Member Array title="steel striker is a name known to all">

DJ is the best WR he have and, he gets open and, yes sometimes his hands are a question but, he gets open.