Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Diontae Johnson

Senior Member Array title="Edman has a reputation beyond repute">

Re: Diontae Johnson

A backbreaking fumble with no one around him, a case of the dropsies again, and caught a TD when the game was decided.

Banned Array title="Lloydwoodsonjr is a splendid one to behold">

Diontae fumbled 5 times his rookie year and then twice a season since.

I really, really, really don't get bashing the player who should have been selected for the Pro Bowl who costs $1.1M against the cap.

Senior Member Array title="EzraTank has a reputation beyond repute"> EzraTank's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Edman View Post
    A backbreaking fumble with no one around him, a case of the dropsies again, and caught a TD when the game was decided.
    Back breaking? Seriously it's not like the game was even close at that point.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

He had one bad game.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by EzraTank View Post
    Back breaking? Seriously it's not like the game was even close at that point.
    Exactly! Lol.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    He had one bad game.
    And he was still the leading receiver.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lloydwoodsonjr View Post
    Diontae fumbled 5 times his rookie year and then twice a season since.

I really, really, really don't get bashing the player who should have been selected for the Pro Bowl who costs $1.1M against the cap.
    First, what does his cap # have to do anything with the topic?? Are you implying that if a guy doesnt have a big contract, that he should just be given slack for carrying a football loosely and dropping passes?

Secondly, he isnt a pro bowl caliber player yet. The guys selected instead of him like Diggs, Allen, Chase, Hill...all compete at a higher level than he does. They dont lose footballs in open space because they dont tuck the ball away, they block better, they fight thru adversity of a game, rather than disappear.

Johnson is a good receiver. When he becomes a better competitor and better overall football player, then he may be worthy of a Pro Bowl nod. Not just being the only WR that the QB likes to throw to, on a losing team.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    First, what does his cap # have to do anything with the topic?? Are you implying that if a guy doesnt have a big contract, that he should just be given slack for carrying a football loosely and dropping passes?

Secondly, he isnt a pro bowl caliber player yet. The guys selected instead of him like Diggs, Allen, Chase, Hill...all compete at a higher level than he does. They dont lose footballs in open space because they dont tuck the ball away, they block better, they fight thru adversity of a game, rather than disappear.

Johnson is a good receiver. When he becomes a better competitor and better overall football player, then he may be worthy of a Pro Bowl nod. Not just being the only WR that the QB likes to throw to, on a losing team.
    If you're going to use stats to make an argument, you should check first to see if the stats support your argument. DJ has 3 drops and Allen has 6, Hill 7 and Chase has a whopping 11 drops. Only Diggs has fewer drops (2) but he had 8 last year. Like DJ, Hill and Chase have 2 fumbles and Diggs and Allen have 1.

I know you're a DJ hater (though you'll deny that) and I respect your football knowledge. Just remember all those other guys have MVP caliber QBs throwing the ball to them also. DJ has a broken down Ben on his last leg.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    If you're going to use stats to make an argument, you should check first to see if the stats support your argument. DJ has 3 drops and Allen has 6, Hill 7 and Chase has a whopping 11 drops. Only Diggs has fewer drops (2) but he had 8 last year. Like DJ, Hill and Chase have 2 fumbles and Diggs and Allen have 1.

I know you're a DJ hater (though you'll deny that) and I respect your football knowledge. Just remember all those other guys have MVP caliber QBs throwing the ball to them also. DJ has a broken down Ben on his last leg.
    I am not a big stats fan. You also have likely gleaned that about me from over the years. I agree that all those guys have better QB's than DJ has to throw them the football, but you also have to look at the other receiving options on the field with those guys, so only one football to go around with a bunch of talented guys. One could argue that the Bengals have 3 receivers that are better than the Steelers best receiver. Any one of Chase, Boyd or Higgins on the Steelers might the the #1 receiver.

I dont hate DJ, I just think he is a good complimentary receiver that needs some help and needs to be more of a professional in order to get better and play more consistently. If I hate anything, its that he gets hyped to be thought of as being better than he really is at this point.

I am not a big stats fan. You also have likely gleaned that about me from over the years. I agree that all those guys have better QB's than DJ has to throw them the football, but you also have to look at the other receiving options on the field with those guys, so only one football to go around with a bunch of talented guys. One could argue that the Bengals have 3 receivers that are better than the Steelers best receiver. Any one of Chase, Boyd or Higgins on the Steelers might the the #1 receiver.

I dont hate DJ, I just think he is a good complimentary receiver that needs some help and needs to be more of a professional in order to get better and play more consistently. If I hate anything, its that he gets hyped to be thought of as being better than he really is at this point.
    I think it's just that most of us see the trajectory. He's getting better every year. You seem to be stuck on him having a facial expression you didn't like after he fumbled earlier in the season. I don't think he was robbed of the Pro Bowl, but I think he gets there next year if the Steelers get a decent QB to throw the ball.

Cheers!

Banned Array title="Lloydwoodsonjr is a splendid one to behold">

Player A 15G 89 rec 1092 yd 9 TD $14M 1 fum

Player B 14G 92 rec 1079 yd 7 TD $1.1M 2 fum

Huh? You take player A? Keep in mind Player A's QB is having a season like Ben's prime.

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    I think it's just that most of us see the trajectory. He's getting better every year. You seem to be stuck on him having a facial expression you didn't like after he fumbled earlier in the season. I don't think he was robbed of the Pro Bowl, but I think he gets there next year if the Steelers get a decent QB to throw the ball.

Cheers!
    Its not just the one time. There is body language, a sense of urgency, football IQ which involves knowing when to cut upfield, when to protect the ball, when to help out your teammates with a block, etc that I can see and think he needs to improve his mindset in order to be an elite receiver.

I know its a lot of the "eye test" and for those that dont have experience with that, it cannot be explained to a point of understanding, so I wont get into it. I hope the kid gets better and becomes an elite receiver, but I dont see him consistent enough to be there yet.

Johnson was a ticking time bomb and may have sunk this season.

All the talent and all the potential in the world doesn't matter if you can't perform.

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Edman View Post
    Johnson may have killed this team and sunk this season.
    he single handedly ends more drives than anyone else on the roster ..........

3 drops on 3rd down in the first half each would have been 1st downs ...

he does not make routine plays routinely ..............

personally would rather have washington in the game, sure not nearly as electrifying but I think he makes at least 2 of those 3 catches and who knows what happens in those drives at that point ....
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Zero chance I am paying Johnson over JuJu and maybe not over Claypool. All the talent, none of the mental…

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    He had one bad game.
    He has more than "one bad game" he makes consistent mental errors, kills drives/momentum with his drops and fails to make plays when we need him.

It killed the Steelers tonight.

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

the Fat chiefs lineman has better hands .............
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

Wish the sports media would shut the hell up about the Steelers drafting good receivers, only brown and sanders were good

Senior Member Array title="JayC is a glorious beacon of light"> JayC's Avatar

I'd still pay DJ over the other guys we have. He is the only guy who can get open regularly.

Senior Member Array title="cubanstogie has a reputation beyond repute"> cubanstogie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JayC View Post
    I'd still pay DJ over the other guys we have. He is the only guy who can get open regularly.
    He catches like Ike Taylor. Maybe he can play DB. Fuck that guy

Drvlspwr Array title="Steel Peon has a reputation beyond repute"> Steel Peon's Avatar

You had your chance Diontae, and well you know how that went... The ship has sailed and the elite were onboard, even though you tried really hard, and I respect you for all your hard work, yet the NFL is a brutal meat grinder, and sometimes the butcher stuffs your ass into it.
    “They say you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone. So I got rid of everything to see what I had.” ~ Steven Wright

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JayC View Post
    That’s not true. JuJu gets open a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Funny how all the "DJ got robbed of the Pro Bowl" and "DJ is an elite WR" talk goes out the window after he drops multiple slants in a playoff game?

He's working on his hands and good for him with that. Even when he was drafted his better skills were his basketball like cutting ability and using that to get open, or on releases from the LOS, but the negatives were focus drops and straight line speed. A good complimentary receiver, but the Steelers still need more reliable WR's

Funny how all the "DJ got robbed of the Pro Bowl" and "DJ is an elite WR" talk goes out the window after he drops multiple slants in a playoff game?

He's working on his hands and good for him with that. Even when he was drafted his better skills were his basketball like cutting ability and using that to get open, or on releases from the LOS, but the negatives were focus drops and straight line speed. A good complimentary receiver, but the Steelers still need more reliable WR's
    I don't recall reading any comments like that on here. Perhaps there was an exception or two. I think, generally, other posters just see him as a better receiver than you do. That said, his game was a disappointment yesterday. I personally think it's going to be hard to figure out how good any of these receivers are until a legit QB is throwing them the ball. And if Mason takes over, that could be a long while.

Senior Member Array title="EzraTank has a reputation beyond repute"> EzraTank's Avatar

People, DJ isn't going anywhere next year and here's why:

Year Age Base Salary Prorated Bonus Cap
    Number
    Cap % Dead Money & Cap Savings
    2019 23 $495,000 $283,357 $778,357 0.4%
    2020 24 $689,589 $283,357 $972,946 0.5%
    2021 25 $884,178 $283,357 $1,167,535 0.6%
    2022 26 $1,078,767 $283,357 $1,362,124 0.6% $283,357 $1,078,767
    Total $3,147,534 $1,133,428 $4,280,962

His $1.3 million cap hit is dirt cheap for a receiver of his caliber. Yes he has his issues but he's here through next year. He basically has next year to prove he's fixed his issue or he isn't resigned in 2023.

But we have so many other problems and positions to fill (namely at QB) that you do not cut a guy that can start and counts as only .6% of your CAP space.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by EzraTank View Post
    People, DJ isn't going anywhere next year and here's why:

Year Age Base Salary Prorated Bonus Cap
    Number
    Cap % Dead Money & Cap Savings
    2019 23 $495,000 $283,357 $778,357 0.4%
    2020 24 $689,589 $283,357 $972,946 0.5%
    2021 25 $884,178 $283,357 $1,167,535 0.6%
    2022 26 $1,078,767 $283,357 $1,362,124 0.6% $283,357 $1,078,767
    Total $3,147,534 $1,133,428 $4,280,962

His $1.3 million cap hit is dirt cheap for a receiver of his caliber. Yes he has his issues but he's here through next year. He basically has next year to prove he's fixed his issue or he isn't resigned in 2023.

But we have so many other problems and positions to fill (namely at QB) that you do not cut a guy that can start and counts as only .6% of your CAP space.
    This is the most logical take on the entire thing. He's basically free in terms of cap space and there are zero other methods for getting a WR that is coming off a 100 catch season for $1.3 million.

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Agreed 100%

Senior Member Array title="Steeler-in-west has a reputation beyond repute"> Steeler-in-west's Avatar

He had a couple drive killing drops when the game was still in the balance. Just can’t do that in the biggest game of the year. I would definitely try to resign juju who is more reliable and try to acquire another receiver with top speed in the off-season

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Steeler-in-west View Post
    He had a couple drive killing drops when the game was still in the balance. Just can’t do that in the biggest game of the year. I would definitely try to resign juju who is more reliable and try to acquire another receiver with top speed in the off-season
    I think JuJu & PF would be a great combo.

I think we can all count on the Steelers drafting a WR around R3.

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shoes View Post
    I think JuJu & PF would be a great combo.
    Juju and PF are the Hines and Heath of this generation. Add in Najee and it's a solid foundation.