Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Matt Canada

Senior Member Array title="Rotorhead has a reputation beyond repute">

Matt Canada

Does this guy know what a pick play is? We rarely get a glimpse of the WR trees during the game, but tonight they zoomed out a couple time and NOBODY was open. Can we get an OC that can scheme some open WR’s? How about a run that goes off tackle, or a sweep with the RB (instead of the WRs) when the defense is stuffing the everything between the tackles. This isn’t college with WRs that are NFL level playing against DBs that won’t make it. Wishing for Haley is a sad situation.

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Re: Matt Canada

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

I’m not understanding some of the thought behind the play call and the blocking schemes. On several occasions, the jet sweep went with one or no blockers in front leaving the runner to face 3-4 tacklers. On the screen to DJ, one blocker versus 3-4 blockers. They are trying to get the ball to playmakers yet the only blocker they have put there is Freiermuth. It’s either the play design is poor, execution is extremely poor or the play is so obvious that, again, the design is poor in that nothing is being disguised.

Keeping running up the middle on third and short when the O-Line, clearly, is getting no push. If there was an offensive line here...Harris would be dangerous!

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

I'm willing to be patient with this offense but this week wasn't their best showing. Statistically the bears are terrible against the run, and were without Khalil Mack. Result? 2.6 yards per carry and Ben didn't even have time for a 3 step drop on a lot of plays.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

That first drive gave me so much hope but then it reverted back to the pathetic offense that we’ve come to know. I have no patience for Canada. Fire him.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

There was a play (on third-&-5ish) where all four receivers ran short curl routes right at/just beyond the LOS. Canada did the defense a favor by collapsing the field to just five yards. Three rushing, five playing short zones, and three safeties playing ten-yards deep. Ben had plenty of time… but… had to scramble just to find a good angle to attempt a pass (because each receiver seemed to be double covered).

This is the type of thing that validates DesertSteel’s hashtag.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    There was a play (on third-&-5ish) where all four receivers ran short curl routes right at/just beyond the LOS. Canada did the defense a favor by collapsing the field to just five yards. Three rushing, five playing short zones, and three safeties playing ten-yards deep. Ben had plenty of time… but… had to scramble just to find a good angle to attempt a pass (because each receiver seemed to be double covered).

True...BUT...my question is why? In all of his previous stops, that wasn't his style. Heck, even Wisc threw diwbfield when he was here. But those routes were the entire 2020 Steelers offense. That takes me back to the QB and the offensive line.

Canada may be hamstrung in what he feels comfortable calling. His lack of clever ideas is troubling. It earned Fichtner a ticket out of town.

My theory is that Canada gets 2022 to install his stuff. Then if it still sucks, he's gone as well.

I think the Steelers view this as a transition year. Colbert mumbled something about taking time to get new style guys in house on offense. All that remains to swap out is the QB.

Senior Member Array title="Steeler-in-west has a reputation beyond repute"> Steeler-in-west's Avatar

Offense is Ben ball version 2021 with some of Najees running in there.

Senior Member Array title="JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue has a reputation beyond repute"> JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue's Avatar

Think we need to use a more TE set since we have some good ones now

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

That further supports my theory that some of these plays just aren’t designed very well. We saw it last season and we see carryover this season...very high school-sequel when it comes to some of these play designs and some worse...

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    That further supports my theory that some of these plays just aren’t designed very well. We saw it last season and we see carryover this season...very high school-sequel when it comes to some of these play designs and some worse...
    Indeed

@mojoUW I get what you are saying: “Is this play a result of Ben not being as effective throwing the ball downfield?” While it may be true (that Ben isn’t nearly as good throwing deep as he used to be) the design of this play is simply abysmal.

On second down, maaaybe. Because then the receivers could threaten to sprint downfield, only to suddenly stop and curl. In that case, the defenders miiight have run a little deeper, leaving one of the curl routes open. But, as it was, eight defenders were able to smother the goal-to-gain.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Indeed

@mojoUW I get what you are saying: “Is this play a result of Ben not being as effective throwing the ball downfield?” While it may be true (that Ben isn’t nearly as good throwing deep as he used to be) the design of this play is simply abysmal.

On second down, maaaybe. Because then the receivers could threaten to sprint downfield, only to suddenly stop and curl. In that case, the defenders miiight have run a little deeper, leaving one of the curl routes open. But, as it was, eight defenders were able to smother the goal-to-gain.
    Yup. And that's the same lack of ideas that got Fichtner fired.

I find it suspicious that two OCs in a row only had the same bad ideas. One of those OCs had a year headstart knowing what he was getting into.

I figure that what we see on gamedays is what worked in practice or what Canada is confident they can execute.

However, if there isn't a whole ream of playbook that's just pushed off to the side because they can't run it for a reason, whatever that may be (you can easily guess what I think it is), then Canada needs to go. Because if this is all he's got...then uggghhhh.

Senior Member Array title="Rotorhead has a reputation beyond repute">

Honestly, I would like to see more PF to help with blocking and much less empty backfield. If we are going to run the short passing game, we need pick routes to get a guy open. If we are going to run the WR screen, get some damn blockers in front of him. Please run outside the tackles more often, especially when we are getting stuffed up the middle. Stretch the defense out on a few plays and that should open up the middle of the field.

Dude is terrible…

3rd-&-goal from the 5

Not one touch by Najee. Not one.

Senior Member Array title="JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue has a reputation beyond repute"> JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue's Avatar

3rd-&-goal from the 5

Yep mind boggling.

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

3rd-&-goal from the 5

That is inexcusable. You have a RB who's running hard and a backup QB in the game. I was willing to give Canada a fair shot but he's wearing on my patience now

Quote Originally Posted by JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue View Post
    Yep mind boggling.
    Yep

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

Every coach that coaches an offensive position could be replaced and I would not complain.
    1. Amarius Mims, OT, Georgia 2. Zach Frazier, C, West Virginia 3. Roman Wilson, WR, Michigan 3. ​Renardo Green, CB, FSU 4. Mo Kamara, OLB, Colorado State 6. Logan Lee, DT, Iowa 6.Khristian Boyd, NT, Northern Iowa

Quote Originally Posted by Fire Goodell View Post
    That is inexcusable. You have a RB who's running hard and a backup QB in the game. I was willing to give Canada a fair shot but he's wearing on my patience now
    Double yep

So we’ve seen Rudolph throw short in 2019. We’ve seen Ben throwing short in 2020. We’ve seen Ben throw short at the start of 2021. Now we’ve seen Rudolph throwing short in 2021. We’ve seen deep balls thrown to receivers who are blanketed by Ben. We saw deep throws to receivers who were blanketed by Rudolph.

Senior Member Array title="The Bark is a jewel in the rough"> The Bark's Avatar

THIS was mind boggling: Mason throwing 50 pass attempts in not the best playing conditions, Harris rushing over 100 yards on just 24 attempts. That one needs some explanation. Harris probably wasn't much behind in yards per carry to Mason's yards per completion. That weather was made for the running game and Detroit, well, took the ball and ran with it. I guess if there was one game to skip on the schedule for the fans, it was this. The stadium looked maybe 60-65% full with a large number of Detroit fans there - most of any opposing team from the games I've attended over the last 15 years which is maybe about 10.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bark View Post
    THIS was mind boggling: Mason throwing 50 pass attempts in not the best playing conditions, Harris rushing over 100 yards on just 24 attempts. That one needs some explanation. Harris probably wasn't much behind in yards per carry to Mason's yards per completion. That weather was made for the running game
    Triple yep

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

in the mud and the muck owning a Bell cow and not using him as such is beyond stupid ....

why was Mooth so under utilized? with a young inexperienced QB the TE should have seen 10 or more targets .........

where are the wheel routes ?

where is the off tackle runs ?

why did it take so long on def to buckle down the hatches on the run game when it was clear to most all of the free world that Goff had little intentions of throwing the ball and we was getting gashed in the run game ...

after all these weeks why do we still have so many question marks and so few answers ????
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

Look. Matt Canada likely sucks. And so did Fichtner. Fine. But there is no playcalling magic sauce that can make-up for the fact that the offensive line is so far below the mark, I am not sure they can see it. Despite all the tough talk from Klemm and the rah-rah crap from the players; they do not win at the point of attack and the extent of their nasty seems to be Green flying in to block guys after the RB is on the ground. Dan Moore Jr is a great story and has potential for the future....but he is getting worked over pretty good by mediocre DEs at this point. Turner and Dotson are so great that no one noticed when Haeg and some other random back-up I couldn't identify ended up playing massive parts of the game. When you can swap out both your starting guards with a reserve OT and (Hausssenhaur? - Who never even started in college BTW) some guy AND no one notices a difference...either you have the best back-up OL in the league or your starting unit isn't really that good. I know which one I think it is.

QB play? Was there one? Has there been one? The best you can say about whoever is playing QB for the Steelers in 2021 is that they make the right read. After that? Not much. I am not certain a juggs machine on random wouldn't put up similar numbers.

Again, this is not saying that Canada is any good. He clearly doesn't have answers. But...the team has burned through 2 coordinators now. And the fan base has the exact same complaints. So...either Canada was around the team for a year+, saw what was working, what wasn't working, and what got Fichtner fired....and decided to do the SAME thing...OR... whatever this team calls an offense is all that the coaching staff feels comfortable asking the OL and QB to do.

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    Look. Matt Canada likely sucks. And so did Fichtner. Fine. But there is no playcalling magic sauce that can make-up for the fact that the offensive line is so far below the mark, I am not sure they can see it. Despite all the tough talk from Klemm and the rah-rah crap from the players; they do not win at the point of attack and the extent of their nasty seems to be Green flying in to block guys after the RB is on the ground. Dan Moore Jr is a great story and has potential for the future....but he is getting worked over pretty good by mediocre DEs at this point. Turner and Dotson are so great that no one noticed when Haeg and some other random back-up I couldn't identify ended up playing massive parts of the game. When you can swap out both your starting guards with a reserve OT and (Hausssenhaur? - Who never even started in college BTW) some guy AND no one notices a difference...either you have the best back-up OL in the league or your starting unit isn't really that good. I know which one I think it is.

QB play? Was there one? Has there been one? The best you can say about whoever is playing QB for the Steelers in 2021 is that they make the right read. After that? Not much. I am not certain a juggs machine on random wouldn't put up similar numbers.

Again, this is not saying that Canada is any good. He clearly doesn't have answers. But...the team has burned through 2 coordinators now. And the fan base has the exact same complaints. So...either Canada was around the team for a year+, saw what was working, what wasn't working, and what got Fichtner fired....and decided to do the SAME thing...OR... whatever this team calls an offense is all that the coaching staff feels comfortable asking the OL and QB to do.
    it simply cant be that ( the bold ) or they would have Kept Randy for an ongoing excuse instead of swapping out an aftermarket part that does the same thing as the original ... that said when Ben is in the game I would be all for him just calling his own plays all game long ... the only real risk then is him writing checks he can no longer cash as a player but the upside of that is he would for atleast a game or two give teams more to think about than the 10 yard or less pass play and the run behind ( insert guards name here ) because quite frankly that is 90% of the play calls

as for the O-Line its a sum of its parts , and the parts are just not all that good

it simply cant be that ( the bold ) or they would have Kept Randy for an ongoing excuse instead of swapping out an aftermarket part that does the same thing as the original ... that said when Ben is in the game I would be all for him just calling his own plays all game long ... the only real risk then is him writing checks he can no longer cash as a player but the upside of that is he would for atleast a game or two give teams more to think about than the 10 yard or less pass play and the run behind ( insert guards name here ) because quite frankly that is 90% of the play calls

as for the O-Line its a sum of its parts , and the parts are just not all that good
    Ben was calling a great deal of his own plays last season and it was basically the same garbage. When he was running off on his own in the hurry up he wasn't dialing up the deep ball or anything.

The limitations at OL and QB have this offense severely limited. Now...would more innovative and clever play-callers have answers? Maybe. But we have how many games of evidence now to indicate that it doesn't matter who is calling the plays...there are only so many things they have confidence in doing well.

So maybe the coaching isn't helping but this is a crappy roster problem more than a crappy coach problem. Bad OL and Bad Qbs are going to make any offensive coaching staff look poor. Let alone the "brain trust" the Steelers have put together.

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    Ben was calling a great deal of his own plays last season and it was basically the same garbage. When he was running off on his own in the hurry up he wasn't dialing up the deep ball or anything.

The limitations at OL and QB have this offense severely limited. Now...would more innovative and clever play-callers have answers? Maybe. But we have how many games of evidence now to indicate that it doesn't matter who is calling the plays...there are only so many things they have confidence in doing well.

So maybe the coaching isn't helping but this is a crappy roster problem more than a crappy coach problem. Bad OL and Bad Qbs are going to make any offensive coaching staff look poor. Let alone the "brain trust" the Steelers have put together.

we are not even seeing some basic easy to run plays being used tho ...

where are the wheel routes ?

where is the off tackle runs ?

basic stuff , that gives a defense more to think about , more to cover , spreads them a bit wider ( would help open the middle up some if you have to be able to make it wide even if they cheat a half a step wider ) a NFL back only needs a small window to exploit Im for giving your players the best opportunity to succeed and sometimes that is as simple as giving your opponent more things to consider/ cover

I wouldn't want to run outside or off tackle with this group.

Neither QB seems willing to hold the ball long enough for anyone to run a wheel.

Two coordinators. Same results through a different process. Time to start blaming the core problems. Playcalling isn't helping but it doesn't matter at this point. The Steelers lack the required offensive talent to be any good.

Senior Member Array title="EzraTank has a reputation beyond repute"> EzraTank's Avatar

I'm surprised we're not running a left-wing lock.