Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Matt Canada

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Re: Matt Canada

For God sakes, the jet sweeps don't work anymore. The negative yardage is like a penalty. They might as well hold and see if they can get some non calls if they run this shit.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    3rd-&-goal from the 5

Not one touch by Najee. Not one.
    I get the call on 1st down. You try and catch the DC thinking Run-Run-Pass is what your call will be, but they didnt execute the play. I would have handed it to Najee on 2nd down and see what gets left on 3rd down.

I cant recall if Hassenauer and Haeg were in the game at that time or not, but sometimes when you have a couple backup linemen in that arent getting any offensive push, as an OC you lean on the passing game.

If Rudolph completes the pass to Ray Ray, when the Lions double covered Friermuth, there is a TD and nobody is complaining about that goal line series.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

“Potential” is a word that is used waaaaaaay too often around here lately.

Never good when that happens.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Senior Member Array title="Moose has a brilliant future">

Who in the Steeler FO thought that Canada was a good OC to begin with ? He wasn;t any good with the last team he was with.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Moose View Post
    Who in the Steeler FO thought that Canada was a good OC to begin with ? He wasn;t any good with the last team he was with.
    Has he ever been “good”?

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Has he ever been “good”?
    Based on the performance of the offenses he has directed at the college level, yes.

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    Based on the performance of the offenses he has directed at the college level, yes.
    He was at three different teams in three years. How good could that have been?

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

He was at three different teams in three years. How good could that have been?
    I dunno. I don't watch college football because I find it boring and uninteresting most weekends.

I just know that many people who did watch college while Canada was putting together offenses said that he was pretty good at it.

I watch college football but don't over analyze it. I don't recall ever hearing how great an offensive mind he was but know he went from Pitt to LSU ("mutually parted ways") and then landed in Maryland.

I watch college football but don't over analyze it. I don't recall ever hearing how great an offensive mind he was but know he went from Pitt to LSU ("mutually parted ways") and then landed in Maryland.
    You have more direct knowledge than I do.

I just remember reading about Canada when the team hired him and many places were laudatory of his offensive design and approach.

Senior Member Array title="Rotorhead has a reputation beyond repute">

The issues with college games, is most good teams plays against JV talent teams for half or more of their games, so designing an offense to beat a team when you have NFL level talent playing against teams who have no players that will ever see the NFL isn’t so hard. That is why I don’t watch college games.

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

To be fair Canada doesn't really have much to work with

Senior Member Array title="pepsyman1 has much to be proud of"> pepsyman1's Avatar

Canada was at 7 different colleges over a span of 12 years including an interim head coach spot. None of those places appeared too upset about him moving on. No idea what Tomlin saw in him.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pepsyman1 View Post
    Canada was at 7 different colleges over a span of 12 years including an interim head coach spot. None of those places appeared too upset about him moving on. No idea what Tomlin saw in him.
    It's not really that uncommon for college assistant/position coaches to move around a lot. But I also wonder what Tomlin sees in him.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Pretty good play design here. Maybe the OC deserves some credit?

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    I can't really go that far, yet.

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

That was a nice play. Ben's pump-fake looked well oiled and a bit different, his motion carried through from the right side of the field to the centre left. Missed assignment on the raven side.

He had a few nice plays designed yesterday. Much better than the slop that’s been trotted out there most of this season.

Quote Originally Posted by Shoes View Post
    That was a nice play. Ben's pump-fake looked well oiled and a bit different, his motion carried through from the right side of the field to the centre left. Missed assignment on the raven side.
    "Well oiled" pump fake??

It looked like a token wave of the football. Nothing emphatic or aggressive. The kind of pump fake that Teddy Bridgwater could execute, without a glove, in the rain....without fear of the ball slipping out of his wee little hands.

Senior Member Array title="HollywoodSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> HollywoodSteel's Avatar

Is play design all it takes to keep defenders ten yards away from the receiver? I'd normally assume some kind of blown coverage was involved.

Going against tendencies creates stupidity on the part of a defense. The Steelers don't run play action. That pass, 99.9% of the time goes to the route on the sideline. The Ravens knew that and played that. Do something to break your tendencies and you get wide open players.

Quote Originally Posted by HollywoodSteel View Post
    Is play design all it takes to keep defenders ten yards away from the receiver? I'd normally assume some kind of blown coverage was involved.
    Its actually a combination of play design, seeing the defensive tendencies on 1st and 10 in coverage and knowing what position on the field to call that play. Face it, everybody thought it was at first a give to the RB, then a play action pass to the TE coming across the formation, but not that it was a primary pass to the WR on a post, with the slot receiver running a "wheel route".

Basically, the OC has that play on his call sheet and realizes the Ravens have been playing a lot of man to man, Cover-0 (no safety) and the Steelers have been running on 1st and 10. So the middle of the field will be open to the receiver running the "post" or deep cross, especially if the QB pumps the "wheel route" first to hold the man on the slot receiver.

The only way that doesnt work if the protection is there to get the throw off, is if the defense is playing a combination coverage, where they are playing zone on the field side (wide side) and man to man on the boundary(short side). Because that way the DB's on the field side will just switch when the receivers cross routes. Its a brilliant play design and situational call.

Quote Originally Posted by HollywoodSteel View Post
    The routes caused confusion on the defense.

The routes caused confusion on the defense.
    No confusion at all. Its man-to-man coverage and you can clearly see the Ravens defenders trying to cover man-to-man. Its the simplest coverage to understand from a DB perspective.

But the play took 5 or 6 seconds and the run fake and rollout action with the TE underneath, kept the other 9 defenders shallow, so the 2 CB's had to cover their WR's for 5 seconds over the entire width of the field. Asking a CB to cover 5 seconds with zero help is a recipe for offensive TD.

Senior Member Array title="HollywoodSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> HollywoodSteel's Avatar

No confusion at all. Its man-to-man coverage and you can clearly see the Ravens defenders trying to cover man-to-man. Its the simplest coverage to understand from a DB perspective.

But the play took 5 or 6 seconds and the run fake and rollout action with the TE underneath, kept the other 9 defenders shallow, so the 2 CB's had to cover their WR's for 5 seconds over the entire width of the field. Asking a CB to cover 5 seconds with zero help is a recipe for offensive TD.
    I'm not trying to downplay the situational play call, based on all the factors you've mentioned. But it still seems like the DB guessed wrong at one point, or maybe was just juked by DJ. It also seems like you're saying that man coverage is defeated by good O line protection or the QB extending the play to allow for the time it takes for coverage to break down. If that's the case I could just as easily see someone criticizing Canada for calling a played that relied on those factors to be effective, given our current personnel.

Senior Member Array title="CV1 is a jewel in the rough"> CV1's Avatar

I’d like the team to play hurry up a ton more… I truly think they play better when in a hurry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There was total confusion as the two Ravens players ran into each other attempting to cover the same guy which left DJ wide open.

Senior Member Array title="Rotorhead has a reputation beyond repute">

To be fair to Canada, he even had a couple of pick plays this week, so maybe he is evolving?

Senior Member Array title="pepsyman1 has much to be proud of"> pepsyman1's Avatar

Ben let the ball go at 3 seconds, so I don't think it's that big an aberration. It was a good design and good execution. Something we haven't seen a lot lately.