Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Najee Math

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Re: Najee Math

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    He could stagnate. But, we all know that I’m not one to dwell on the bottom side of a glass.

Who would you have taken to play LT? You can have ANY player taken in the draft after our R1 pick?

Me… I’m still taking Moore. I think he’s a steal. You might convince me to take Spencer Brown, but it’s a coin flip.
    Yeah. I am not really against Moore or the pick. It is great value for where they took him and the OT class has not really performed to expectations...in fact the OL class this year has not exactly been performing all that well.

But...part of the 2021 struggles are totally on Moore's struggles. Just as some are on Green. Just as some are on whoever else you want to single out. For me, the difficult part with the evaluation of Moore is what part of his struggles are being a rookie and kinda correct themselves as things move forward and what part of his struggles are because he was a LT prospect that was available in the middle rounds of the draft for a reason?

I am not proficient enough in OL evaluation to answer those questions.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    To be clear, I wanted Harris to be our pick. But I was on the record at the time of being concerned he didn’t have a 40 time. I still question his speed. Since I’ve watched him 6 games, I also question if he has top level vision to find the holes. Does that make me a pessimist? No, I’m just giving my opinion on what I’ve seen so far. I also see improvement and I’m optimistic that he’ll be everything we need in a back. His personality and work ethic are great and he’s a physical beast. I have no regrets with the pick.

Is that me calling him a bust???
    Not at all. I have some of the same questions. The biggest question I have with Harris is what does he do better than other RBs? If I take a player in the first round, I would want there to be one skill or physical trait that is stand out from his peers. I see Harris as really good at a lot of RB things and has a ton of great physical traits...but I don't see one thing that stands out.

My worry is that this means Harris is good but not great long term. I feel that an NFL team can find good but not great RB outside of the first round.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

@mojoUW

MOORE: Good questions about why he was available in R4. Regardless, he has played better than the LTs drafted ahead of him. Going back to whether we addressed the LT spot: absolutely… better than anyone else except for the Chargers.

HARRIS: For me, the gestalt is greater than the sum of the minutia.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

@mojoUW

MOORE: Good questions about why he was available in R4. Regardless, he has played better than the LTs drafted ahead of him. Going back to whether we addressed the LT spot: absolutely… better than anyone else except for the Chargers.

HARRIS: For me, the gestalt is greater than the sum of the minutia.
    @ least they didn’t end up with Leatherrwood. He’s a highly drafted guard now.

Senior Member Array title="Rotorhead has a reputation beyond repute">

Najee Math

Harris has great power, last 2 games with him getting 3-4 yards after contact and bulling his way though the tackles is something we need near the goal line or short yardage situations and something we haven’t had for a long time. He catches well out of the backfield and he is an above average blocker on passing downs. He also had good moves to make the first tackler miss more often than not.

All he is missing is that home run speed honestly, and I can live with that. Add to that this it is his frost season and his OL is pretty subpar (although getting better). I think we have a great back, one that we can rely on for the next 5+ years as a solid player that can help a new QB get through a season.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

I’m not trying to be argumentative, but I’m wondering what people thought about Alvin Kamari’s performance last night. Really.

Kamara only averaged 2.5 yards per carry (for 51 rushing yards)… yet, he was also clearly one of the best players on the field.

To be clear, I’m not saying “even good players can have an off night”. What I am saying is that (all things considered) IMO, it was actually a good performance.

Senior Member Array title="RunNGun has a reputation beyond repute"> RunNGun's Avatar

Najee is a do it all back and he's only going to get better with a little time and a little help from the OL/QB play.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

I’m not trying to be argumentative, but I’m wondering what people thought about Alvin Kamari’s performance last night. Really.

Kamara only averaged 2.5 yards per carry (for 51 rushing yards)… yet, he was also clearly one of the best players on the field.

To be clear, I’m not saying “even good players can have an off night”. What I am saying is that (all things considered) IMO, it was actually a good performance.
    The point is that if you have a good back, you keep finding ways to get them the ball. In this case, they did so with the pass, which is Kamara's calling card anyway.

But the stat you left out, and the reason it was a "good performance" was his 128 yards receiving on 10 catches.

The point is that if you have a good back, you keep finding ways to get them the ball. In this case, they did so with the pass, which is Kamara's calling card anyway.

But the stat you left out, and the reason it was a "good performance" was his 128 yards receiving on 10 catches.
    Exactly

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

FYI

Harris saw light boxes (six or fewer defenders) on 59.6 percent of attempts in the last two games. He averaged 4.3 yards per carry in those contests. Prior to that, he saw light boxes on 45.5 percent of attempts for a 3.4-yard average. The Browns have gone with a light box on 53.4 percent of rushes, the seventh-highest rate in the NFL, but they allow a league-low 3.8 yards per rush when playing with a light box.

First four games:
    185 rushing yards
    176 receiving yards
    90 yards/game from scrimmage

Past three games:
    294 rushing yards
    95 receiving yards
    130 yards/game from scrimmage

SUMMATUON:
    There has been a noticeable shift towards running the ball. Run-blocking is the O-line’s strength. (Those two things go hand-in-hand.) As a result, Najee’s yards from scrummage have gone up by 40 yards/game… and we are on a three-game winning streak.

First four games:
    185 rushing yards
    176 receiving yards
    90 yards/game from scrimmage

Past three games:
    294 rushing yards
    95 receiving yards
    130 yards/game from scrimmage

SUMMATUON:
    There has been a noticeable shift towards running the ball. Run-blocking is the O-line’s strength. (Those two things go hand-in-hand.) As a result, Najee’s yards from scrummage have gone up by 40 yards/game… and we are on a three-game winning streak.
    It seems to me that they have shifted their focus in the running game as well. Less trying to get out on the edge behind a tackle or a pulling interior lineman and more of just following behind a push from the interior 3. But...that might not be a trend...just how my brain is thinking about it.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    It seems to me that they have shifted their focus in the running game as well. Less trying to get out on the edge behind a tackle or a pulling interior lineman and more of just following behind a push from the interior 3. But...that might not be a trend...just how my brain is thinking about it.
    Each game you look at your opponent and what their defense does, then develop your gameplan. Maybe Canada decided that he didnt want to try and test the edges as much with Garrett and Clowney on either side, but rather widen out the opposing front with 2TE sets and run the A and B gaps with a 220 lb Najee? It honestly is a sound game plan IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    Each game you look at your opponent and what their defense does, then develop your gameplan. Maybe Canada decided that he didnt want to try and test the edges as much with Garrett and Clowney on either side, but rather widen out the opposing front with 2TE sets and run the A and B gaps with a 220 lb Najee? It honestly is a sound game plan IMO.
    Agreed. I hope they keep doing it. Previous iterations of successful Steelers run games were built around power runs behind a puller. Maybe this version can be focused on runs from guard to guard?

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    Agreed. I hope they keep doing it. Previous iterations of successful Steelers run games were built around power runs behind a puller. Maybe this version can be focused on runs from guard to guard?
    Its kind of what I first learned "Inside Zone" blocking to be. Like Teeg mentioned when Moore blocked on Malik Jackson, then went looking for a LB...the principle is that you Double Team Block the down lineman, to displace him from the LOS...then one of the doubling linemen goes 2nd level to block the LB. I saw one O line coach refer to it as "cow tipping", where you teach the O lineman to come down hard on the DT that you are doubling, then run 2nd level to the ILB.

The thing is, that the skills are easy enough to be proficient at and most O linemen learn the blocking skills of a " pin and pull" or "Inside Zone" blocking systems in High School or even earlier.

Here is a good video on explanation of Inside Zone blocking on a single back spread formation. Double team the DT's at the snap and scrape to the Linebackers.

Its kind of what I first learned "Inside Zone" blocking to be. Like Teeg mentioned when Moore blocked on Malik Jackson, then went looking for a LB...the principle is that you Double Team Block the down lineman, to displace him from the LOS...then one of the doubling linemen goes 2nd level to block the LB. I saw one O line coach refer to it as "cow tipping", where you teach the O lineman to come down hard on the DT that you are doubling, then run 2nd level to the ILB.

The thing is, that the skills are easy enough to be proficient at and most O linemen learn the blocking skills of a " pin and pull" or "Inside Zone" blocking systems in High School or even earlier.
    Which would make sense with a young and NFL inexperienced line. Go back to "basics" and build out from there. But my applications to coach in the NFL have not been getting much interest....so what do I know?

We’re up to 28th in the league rushing the ball. That’s improvement over the past several years.

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

We’re up to 28th in the league rushing the ball. That’s improvement over the past several years.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Nice!!!

Bwahahaha!!! YES!!! Every time I read the thread title… that’s EXACTLY what I think of.

I'm guessing that the o-line and Najee are starting to get the feel for each other, which is greatly helping the run game. People talk about the o-line building continuity, but I think the same is true with a RB and the o-line. I have a feeling that Monday night will be another breakout game.

I'm guessing that the o-line and Najee are starting to get the feel for each other, which is greatly helping the run game. People talk about the o-line building continuity, but I think the same is true with a RB and the o-line. I have a feeling that Monday night will be another breakout game.
    Yeah, I think with rookies especially that it is going to take a few games, half of a season or more for them to adjust to NFL competition and 28 year old grown ass man that has 5+ years of NFL experience. Its not Mizzou or Rutgers they are facing on the weekend and it has to be an adjustment.

And yes, as I highlighted earlier in the thread with Inside Zone concepts and double team blocks, combination blocks, there becomes a timing aspect to that where O linemen get used to the guy next to them that they have to execute these "Ace", "Deuce" and "Trey" blocks with, then release and one of them gets the LB at 2nd level. Even a vet like Trai Turner has to get used to the timing of Inside Zone blocking with Green...and other things like handling twists and line stunts in the pass game. I am confident they will keep getting better.

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Yeah, I think with rookies especially that it is going to take a few games, half of a season or more for them to adjust to NFL competition and 28 year old grown ass man that has 5+ years of NFL experience. Its not Mizzou or Rutgers they are facing on the weekend and it has to be an adjustment.

And yes, as I highlighted earlier in the thread with Inside Zone concepts and double team blocks, combination blocks, there becomes a timing aspect to that where O linemen get used to the guy next to them that they have to execute these "Ace", "Deuce" and "Trey" blocks with, then release and one of them gets the LB at 2nd level. Even a vet like Trai Turner has to get used to the timing of Inside Zone blocking with Green...and other things like handling twists and line stunts in the pass game. I am confident they will keep getting better.

I think we are starting to see some of what you describe here. Because there are five new linemen playing at all five positions, I definitely think there was a learning and adjustment period that was inevitable. Clearly, there is something positive going on with the way they are playing together and the improvement we are seeing in all aspects of the run game and pass protection.

I am obviously hoping for much more improvement this year and everyone staying healthy to continue to work on things as a unit, but I can't wait to see what a full NFL offseason is going to do for Green and Moore. Working with professionals in nutrition and training techniques over a full offseason and their first offseason to work on football alone should help these men elevate their game next season as they become better prepared, stronger, more confident, and flat out better at their craft.

I have to say....I have really enjoyed watching this OL starting to occasionally bully people at the LOS. It has been a while. There is still a long way to go and plenty of room for improvement, but I am enjoying the ride watching them figure it out.

I know everyone is worried about the quarterback situation, but seeing this many quality young players from the last couple draft classes gives hope that the team can retool and stay competitive immediately. There is a solid base of talent that can take the next step with a few more pieces.

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tube517 View Post
    Great interview. So does this mean we need to merge this thread with another titled "Najee Spanish"? Or maybe "Najee International Studies".

Lots of diverse subjects here to cover.

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tube517 View Post
    this is hilarious

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

That’s great.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Great interview. So does this mean we need to merge this thread with another titled "Najee Spanish"? Or maybe "Najee International Studies".

Lots of diverse subjects here to cover.
    Professor Levy’s class on fiction is a good one.