Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Najee Math

Hybrid View

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Najee Math

Through their first 6 games…

LaDainian: 634 yards from scrimmage on 162 touches
    Edgerrin: 633 yards from scrimmage on 164 touches
    Najee: 632 yards from scrimmage on 136 touches

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

Re: Najee Math

pretty good company
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Good Math.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

So you found two greats that started their careers below average. Let’s hope Najee accomplishes half of what they each did.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    So you found two greats that started their careers below average. Let’s hope Najee accomplishes half of what they each did.
    6th in the NFL in yards from scrimmage.

Senior Member Array title="Hawkman has a reputation beyond repute">

Below WHAT average?? Rookie average? Please show us what average they were all below.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    6th in the NFL in yards from scrimmage.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkman View Post
    Below WHAT average?? Rookie average? Please show us what average they were all below.
    Sorry but 3.8 YPC is below average. I’m hopeful that with improved line play that goes up, but until then it’s below average.

I mean, all stats are lies when looked at in isolation. But for me, YPC is the #1 stat for a RB.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Sorry but 3.8 YPC is below average. I’m hopeful that with improved line play that goes up, but until then it’s below average.

I mean, all stats are lies when looked at in isolation. But for me, YPC is the #1 stat for a RB.
    You can chain that line of thinking to another one that sticks in my craw. How much “better” is Harris in Round 1 than say another back later in the draft?

Harris is good. But he doesn’t jump out as super duper.

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    You can chain that line of thinking to another one that sticks in my craw. How much “better” is Harris in Round 1 than say another back later in the draft?

Harris is good. But he doesn’t jump out as super duper.
    Let's not forget that the Browns 3rd string RB (an undrafted free agent from 3 years ago) just torched the Broncos and now has as many 100 yard rushing games this season as the Steelers 1st round RB.

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

By this rationale, they need to take guys like Bettis and Riggins (both 3.9 career YPC) out of the HoF (assuming here that anything under 4.0 YPC is "below the line" since "average" and "above average" were never defined).

Quote Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
    By this rationale, they need to take guys like Bettis and Riggins (both 3.9 career YPC) out of the HoF (assuming here that anything under 4.0 YPC is "below the line" since "average" and "above average" were never defined).
    Their career stats also include several years on the decline due to age. And yes, regardless of who it is, 3.8 is still below average. I’d consider 4.0 average, 4.5 good and 5+ great.

I hope that you can see the humor in saying that “all stats are lies” … and then using a stat as a rejoinder.

I hope that you can see the humor in saying that “all stats are lies” … and then using a stat as a rejoinder.
    Absolutely.

Senior Member Array title="EzraTank has a reputation beyond repute"> EzraTank's Avatar

Damn the glass is always half full and cracked with you ...

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

James Conner never averaged under 4.0 ypc his entire stay in Pittsburgh last year ( his worse according to pundits because as a team we didnt run the ball enough was 4.3 ypc but Conner in 13 games managed just 169 carries )

sometimes you rank at the bottom because your line sucks and sometimes you rank at the bottom of a stat because you just do not do it enough , that said 4.3 ypc is plenty good on its own BUT

you cant call run plays consistently on 3rd and 12 and rush for 7 and consider it a win and we seemingly did plenty of that last year
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

Senior Member Array title="Hawkman has a reputation beyond repute">

Sounds like some people are ready to write Harris off as a bust after just 6 games……NOW THAT’S COMICAL!

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkman View Post
    Sounds like some people are ready to write Harris off as a bust after just 6 games……NOW THAT’S COMICAL!
    Who is that? Which poster is calling him a bust?

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

Who is that? Which poster is calling him a bust?
    No one is, he just didn't like what some people were saying and is trying to put words on a screen that weren't typed

To be clear, I wanted Harris to be our pick. But I was on the record at the time of being concerned he didn’t have a 40 time. I still question his speed. Since I’ve watched him 6 games, I also question if he has top level vision to find the holes. Does that make me a pessimist? No, I’m just giving my opinion on what I’ve seen so far. I also see improvement and I’m optimistic that he’ll be everything we need in a back. His personality and work ethic are great and he’s a physical beast. I have no regrets with the pick.

Is that me calling him a bust???

@mojoUW

MOORE: Good questions about why he was available in R4. Regardless, he has played better than the LTs drafted ahead of him. Going back to whether we addressed the LT spot: absolutely… better than anyone else except for the Chargers.

HARRIS: For me, the gestalt is greater than the sum of the minutia.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

@mojoUW

MOORE: Good questions about why he was available in R4. Regardless, he has played better than the LTs drafted ahead of him. Going back to whether we addressed the LT spot: absolutely… better than anyone else except for the Chargers.

HARRIS: For me, the gestalt is greater than the sum of the minutia.
    @ least they didn’t end up with Leatherrwood. He’s a highly drafted guard now.

Senior Member Array title="Rotorhead has a reputation beyond repute">

Najee Math

Harris has great power, last 2 games with him getting 3-4 yards after contact and bulling his way though the tackles is something we need near the goal line or short yardage situations and something we haven’t had for a long time. He catches well out of the backfield and he is an above average blocker on passing downs. He also had good moves to make the first tackler miss more often than not.

All he is missing is that home run speed honestly, and I can live with that. Add to that this it is his frost season and his OL is pretty subpar (although getting better). I think we have a great back, one that we can rely on for the next 5+ years as a solid player that can help a new QB get through a season.

I’m not trying to be argumentative, but I’m wondering what people thought about Alvin Kamari’s performance last night. Really.

Kamara only averaged 2.5 yards per carry (for 51 rushing yards)… yet, he was also clearly one of the best players on the field.

To be clear, I’m not saying “even good players can have an off night”. What I am saying is that (all things considered) IMO, it was actually a good performance.

I’m not trying to be argumentative, but I’m wondering what people thought about Alvin Kamari’s performance last night. Really.

Kamara only averaged 2.5 yards per carry (for 51 rushing yards)… yet, he was also clearly one of the best players on the field.

To be clear, I’m not saying “even good players can have an off night”. What I am saying is that (all things considered) IMO, it was actually a good performance.
    The point is that if you have a good back, you keep finding ways to get them the ball. In this case, they did so with the pass, which is Kamara's calling card anyway.

But the stat you left out, and the reason it was a "good performance" was his 128 yards receiving on 10 catches.

The point is that if you have a good back, you keep finding ways to get them the ball. In this case, they did so with the pass, which is Kamara's calling card anyway.

But the stat you left out, and the reason it was a "good performance" was his 128 yards receiving on 10 catches.
    Exactly

Senior Member Array title="RunNGun has a reputation beyond repute"> RunNGun's Avatar

Najee is a do it all back and he's only going to get better with a little time and a little help from the OL/QB play.

FYI

Harris saw light boxes (six or fewer defenders) on 59.6 percent of attempts in the last two games. He averaged 4.3 yards per carry in those contests. Prior to that, he saw light boxes on 45.5 percent of attempts for a 3.4-yard average. The Browns have gone with a light box on 53.4 percent of rushes, the seventh-highest rate in the NFL, but they allow a league-low 3.8 yards per rush when playing with a light box.

First four games:
    185 rushing yards
    176 receiving yards
    90 yards/game from scrimmage

Past three games:
    294 rushing yards
    95 receiving yards
    130 yards/game from scrimmage

SUMMATUON:
    There has been a noticeable shift towards running the ball. Run-blocking is the O-line’s strength. (Those two things go hand-in-hand.) As a result, Najee’s yards from scrummage have gone up by 40 yards/game… and we are on a three-game winning streak.

First four games:
    185 rushing yards
    176 receiving yards
    90 yards/game from scrimmage

Past three games:
    294 rushing yards
    95 receiving yards
    130 yards/game from scrimmage

SUMMATUON:
    There has been a noticeable shift towards running the ball. Run-blocking is the O-line’s strength. (Those two things go hand-in-hand.) As a result, Najee’s yards from scrummage have gone up by 40 yards/game… and we are on a three-game winning streak.
    It seems to me that they have shifted their focus in the running game as well. Less trying to get out on the edge behind a tackle or a pulling interior lineman and more of just following behind a push from the interior 3. But...that might not be a trend...just how my brain is thinking about it.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    It seems to me that they have shifted their focus in the running game as well. Less trying to get out on the edge behind a tackle or a pulling interior lineman and more of just following behind a push from the interior 3. But...that might not be a trend...just how my brain is thinking about it.
    Each game you look at your opponent and what their defense does, then develop your gameplan. Maybe Canada decided that he didnt want to try and test the edges as much with Garrett and Clowney on either side, but rather widen out the opposing front with 2TE sets and run the A and B gaps with a 220 lb Najee? It honestly is a sound game plan IMO.