Thread: Unlucky Bounces

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Unlucky Bounces

It’s crazy how the Steelers seem to “almost” make splash plays… only to have the opposition get the ball back. We have forced 9 fumbles, but have only recovered 3. In the Seahawks game alone, on the last two plays in regulation, the Steelers forced a fumble that could have won the game… only to see the ball he recovered by the Seahawks.

-Minkah strips the ball from the RB. The ball bounces right back into the RB’s lap. If the ball bounces ANY other direction, we win in regulation… because, there was no other Seahawk within 7 yards to recover it.

-on the very next play, Pierre forces Metcalf to fumble. The ball bounces right to Swain. If the ball bounces a little farther away/takes another second to be recovered, time expires and the Steelers once again win in regulation.

Even when we are doing good things, it seems that “great” things are right there for the taking. For example, Wormley bats down a pass, but if you look behind him, Sutton is in perfect position for a pick-six. Likewise, on Heyward’s batted pass, there’s a solid chance that the ball is intercepted by our secondary. Do NOT get me wrong: I’ll take the batted passes. A bird in the hand… but… well, you get the point.

On the flip side, the Ravens won a game on a funble by the Chiefs. The Ravens won on the longest FG in NFL history… even though there wasn’t actually any time left on the clock. Talk about the ball bouncing in your direction.

Senior Member Array title="Rotorhead has a reputation beyond repute">

Re: Unlucky Bounces

It is a game of inches so they say. Luck has a lot to do with many games IMO, sometime teams just get those bounces and others don’t. The good thing is we are creating this opportunities so our luck is bound to change.

Ravens Fan Extraordinaire Array title="Crow-Magnon has a reputation beyond repute"> Crow-Magnon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    On the flip side, the Ravens won a game on a funble by the Chiefs. The Ravens won on the longest FG in NFL history… even though there wasn’t actually any time left on the clock. Talk about the ball bouncing in your direction.
    The fumble? Yeah. Oweh caused it and recovered it. That was a bit lucky. The FG? Yeah, I’ll freely admit I was yelling at the TV “Hike the &@%#! ball”! But the kick? Nah. No luck. Just Tuck.

Senior Member Array title="Hawkman has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by Crow-Magnon View Post
    The fumble? Yeah. Oweh caused it and recovered it. That was a bit lucky. The FG? Yeah, I’ll freely admit I was yelling at the TV “Hike the &@%#! ball”! But the kick? Nah. No luck. Just Tuck.
    Yeah, I like Boz a lot, but Tuck is the best. Kickers will never be MVPs but I would certainly consider giving him one.

Ravens Fan Extraordinaire Array title="Crow-Magnon has a reputation beyond repute"> Crow-Magnon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkman View Post
    Yeah, I like Boz a lot, but Tuck is the best. Kickers will never be MVPs but I would certainly consider giving him one.
    I went to the Chargers-Ravens game last week with my daughter. You see tons of Jackson jerseys. Still see scores of Lewis and Reed jerseys, as well as Heap. You’d be surprised at the number of Tucker jerseys…and Stover. Baltimore has been blessed with a couple of great kickers in those two, as well as punters in Zastudil and Koch, and long snappers in Cox (and now Moore).

Other than Cundiff, we’ve been blessed. But Tuck is on another level. He may be a real threat to be a first round HoF’er.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

There is a real case to be made that Tucker is the best at his position of all time.

I will always be partial to Gary Anderson...but Tucker is one of the few that easily has a case to be considered the kicker GOAT.

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    There is a real case to be made that Tucker is the best at his position of all time.

I will always be partial to Gary Anderson...but Tucker is one of the few that easily has a case to be considered the kicker GOAT.
    if I have a kick that needs to be made and I can choose from any kicker of all-time, I'll pick Justin Tucker.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Crow-Magnon View Post
    Tucker is the best ever. Period. But, even he needed a lucky bounce on that FG.

Was it me?… or, did that entire FG attempt take 45 seconds???

Did you see the Lions fans’ reactions to the bounce off of the upright turn from cheers into total heartbreak when the ball slid just inside the upright? It was both depressing and simultaneously hilarious.

As far as Cundiff goes, I walked out of the room to grab beverages from the cooler… only to return to the game being over. I’m still in disbelief. (That will teach my superstitious a$$ to change seats during a kick. )

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    Tucker is the best ever. Period. But, even he needed a lucky bounce on that FG.

Was it me?… or, did that entire FG attempt take 45 seconds???

Did you see the Lions fans’ reactions to the bounce off of the upright turn from cheers into total heartbreak when the ball slid just inside the upright? It was both depressing and simultaneously hilarious.

As far as Cundiff goes, I walked out of the room to grab beverages from the cooler… only to return to the game being over. I’m still in disbelief. (That will teach my superstitious a$$ to change seats during a kick. )
    The Cundiff kick was truly the first time I came. this. close. to throwing something at the TV. I was living in a split foyer at the time and the TV was in the FR on the lower level. The window sill was about chest high. I bet there’s still forehead dents in the wood after I whacked my noggin on it 5 or 6 times. Today I would have been in the blue tent lol.

Yeah, I was ecstatic after Tuck’s kick, but I felt the anguish of the Lions’ fans. Going for an NFL record not one, but two yards farther than the current one? At the gun? Win or lose? I’m sure 99.999% thought the win was in the bag, Tucker or not. Unless he gets a chance at 67 yards or more in Denver, that record may stand a while.