Thread: Tomlin calls review “an embarrassment”

Senior Member Array title="HollywoodSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> HollywoodSteel's Avatar

Tomlin calls review “an embarrassment”

I can’t remember the last time I saw Tomlin be so harsh about officiating. He clearly held back to avoid being fined.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Re: Tomlin calls review “an embarrassment”

That was one of the first times I saw him so mad on the sideline.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="SteeleReign is a name known to all">

I'm curious, now that he's had time to see the game film, if he still feels that way? I thought the officials handled it well.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SteeleReign View Post
    I'm curious, now that he's had time to see the game film, if he still feels that way? I thought the officials handled it well.
    Really? It was clearly a catch. And the Seahawks got what was essentially a bonus timeout and two extra seconds put back on the clock to boot.

After the review, officials determined it was a catch and there would be three seconds left on the clock instead of one. The Seahawks had time to spike it again and set up for Jason Myers' 43-yard field goal that sent the game to overtime.

Even without the review, the Seahawks would have had enough time to get off the field goal with the original one second left on the clock, but it would have been a more chaotic situation. Instead, the Seahawks were able to regroup, spike the ball again and then bring out the field goal unit for the game-tying field goal.
    https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...attle-seahawks

Senior Member Array title="EzraTank has a reputation beyond repute"> EzraTank's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SteeleReign View Post

Not really. Metcalf was stupid for not running out of bounds and then fumbling to boot. The Steelers players should have jumped on the fumble and fought for it until the clock ran out. But apparently that wouldn't have mattered because of that stupid review.

Senior Member Array title="SteeleReign is a name known to all">

They would still have had the field goal attempt. Not a big deal, and a major overreaction on Tomlin's part. IMHO.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by EzraTank View Post
    Not really. Metcalf was stupid for not running out of bounds and then fumbling to boot. The Steelers players should have jumped on the fumble and fought for it until the clock ran out. But apparently that wouldn't have mattered because of that stupid review.
    The Seahawk player was twice as close.

Senior Member Array title="EzraTank has a reputation beyond repute"> EzraTank's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    The Seahawk player was twice as close.
    Oh I know but they could have put up a fight for it, nevertheless the officials would have still ruled as they did because of the catch. It all happened so fast though I can't blame the officials on the field, I'm sure they were called by NY saying they wanted to review it. But Metcalf was clearly in bounds and tried to run with it. I guess he thought he could break a tackle and be the hero on a TD run to win the game, but still really stupid of him.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
    Really? It was clearly a catch. And the Seahawks got what was essentially a bonus timeout and two extra seconds put back on the clock to boot.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...attle-seahawks
    Exactly. In that case you want the opposition to have to get their FG team out on the field, get their offense off and have to line up and kick it with the play clock ticking in their face. Instead they got time to take it easy with the extra timeout and a couple seconds so they could spike it and know the exact situation for 5 minutes while the review happened.

Especially when there was really nothing to review. The Metcalf catch while heading out of bounds and bobbling the ball was much closer of a call and nobody interrupted play to take a second look at that. Doesent seem consistent in the way things were officiated inside of 2 minutes.

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

That was a shitshow.

Also, on the sack fumble in OT, Metcalf was punching at Devin Bush while he was circling back and no call. Yet TJ gets called for it earlier in the game. Also, TJ got hit with obvious helmet to helmet but the refs were likely busy planning out the end to the game. SMDH.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

I think JJ had a sack fumble to help with the win as well.

Senior Member Array title="HollywoodSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> HollywoodSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    I think JJ had a sack fumble to help with the win as well.
    It’s probably not the first time the Watt brothers both got a sack/forced fumble on the same day, but I’m not sure about that.

Still, TJ’s was far more dramatic and crucial for the victory. The Cardinals game against the Browns wasn’t very close.

Drvlspwr Array title="Steel Peon has a reputation beyond repute"> Steel Peon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    The Metcalf catch while heading out of bounds and bobbling the ball was much closer of a call and nobody interrupted play to take a second look at that. Doesent seem consistent in the way things were officiated inside of 2 minutes.
    This is THE big point of contention I was going to mention if you hadn't done so, seeing as the ball was clearly bobbling enough to warrant a quick review, and he'd gone OOB anyways so the clock stoppage would've been irrelevant to us. Hell, I even wanted Tomlin to throw the red flag just to make a point, even though it wouldn't mean anything. So yeah, I don't blame him for being pissed, 'cause I sure was.
    “They say you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone. So I got rid of everything to see what I had.” ~ Steven Wright

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Peon View Post
    This is THE big point of contention I was going to mention if you hadn't done so, seeing as the ball was clearly bobbling enough to warrant a quick review, and he'd gone OOB anyways so the clock stoppage would've been irrelevant to us. Hell, I even wanted Tomlin to throw the red flag just to make a point, even though it wouldn't mean anything. So yeah, I don't blame him for being pissed, 'cause I sure was.
    I think in some situations when the clock stops NY officials review the play real quick without needing to delay the game. If it looks pretty clear on one viewing they don’t bother announcing what they’re doing.

I’m not saying it definitely happened on that play but they do tend to look at everything remotely controversial when it’s under two minutes. Just speculation though

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Peon View Post
    I agree, as well.

When did this play occur? I feel that it was in the last two minutes, because I do not recall thinking that Tomlin should have thrown a flag, but I do remember that I was pissed that the refs didn’t take a second look at it. My ire subsided; I let it go… until the fiasco at the end of regulation.

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

btw: The Seahawks player set the ball (not the official). Add a second for that to occur, and time runs out.

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    btw: The Seahawks player set the ball (not the official). Add a second for that to occur, and time runs out.
    Good point.