Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: What do you hate?

Conservatarian Array title="Wallace108 is a splendid one to behold"> Wallace108's Avatar

Re: What do you hate?

Quote Originally Posted by Wallace108 View Post
    What article? I'm not asking for someone's opinion ... I'm asking for yours. Or are you just making this up post by post?
    Hmmm ...

Vis, in reading this thread in a clearer state of mind, I see that I missed a couple of posts, which led to some confusion on my part regarding the "article" and "location" portion of the debate. The posts were coming fast and furious. I apologize for the misunderstanding on my part. I enjoy debating with you, bro.

Simple solution.

They retain the right to free speech by granting them the ability to protest. However...They CAN be told to remain "X" number of feet away from funerals or be given a specific location in which they can protest. Municipailities do this all the time to keep two groups of opposing protesters away from each other or simply to keep protests within the confines of certain areas for civic reasons (traffic..public safety....etc)
    Failure to abide by the dictates of the municipality would be grounds for a charge of Disorderly Conduct.

In essence...create free speech zones in areas of military funerals. Free speech zones are completely legal and are based on U.S. court decisions that state the government may "regulate the time, place, and manner—but not content—of expression."

As far as I am concerned...every time this church "protests", they need to be regulated to a free speech zone between the dog pound and the city dump.
    Last edited by LLT; 10-10-2010 at 07:29 AM.
    "I believe the game is designed to reward the ones who hit the hardest. If you can't take it, you shouldn't play"

-- Jack Lambert --

Let's ride! Array title="BuddhaBus is just really nice">

Quote Originally Posted by LLT View Post
    Simple solution.

They retain the right to free speech by granting them the ability to protest. However...They CAN be told to remain "X" number of feet away from funerals or be given a specific location in which they can protest Municipailities do this all the time to keep two groups of opposing protesters away from each other or simply to keep protests within the confines of certain areas for civic reasons (traffic..public safety....etc)
    Failure to abide by the dictates of the municipality would be grounds for a charge of Disorderly Conduct.

In essence...create free speech zones in areas of military funerals. Free speech zones are completely legal and are based on U.S. court decisions that state the government may "regulate the time, place, and manner—but not content—of expression."

As far as I am concerned...every time this church "protests", they need to be regulated to a free speech zone between the dog pound and the city dump.
    How about in the sewer with the rest of the turds?

Conservatarian Array title="Wallace108 is a splendid one to behold"> Wallace108's Avatar

Simple solution.

They retain the right to free speech by granting them the ability to protest. However...They CAN be told to remain "X" number of feet away from funerals or be given a specific location in which they can protest Municipailities do this all the time to keep two groups of opposing protesters away from each other or simply to keep protests within the confines of certain areas for civic reasons (traffic..public safety....etc)

I agree, LLT. That's a perfect solution, as long as the families don't have to see them or hear them. You have a right to free speech, but I have a right to not have to listen to it.

The protesters have a right to protest and say whatever they want to say. But the families also have a right to bury their loved ones with respect. So whose rights are being infringed upon here?

Quote Originally Posted by Wallace108 View Post
    I agree, LLT. That's a perfect solution, as long as the families don't have to see them or hear them. You have a right to free speech, but I have a right to not have to listen to it.

The protesters have a right to protest and say whatever they want to say. But the families also have a right to bury their loved ones with respect. So whose rights are being infringed upon here?
    The church does not have a right to determine their audience....they can be put on the other side of town and protest to their ignorant hearts content.
    "I believe the game is designed to reward the ones who hit the hardest. If you can't take it, you shouldn't play"

-- Jack Lambert --

The church does not have a right to determine their audience....they can be put on the other side of town and protest to their ignorant hearts content.
    And that would mean no one's rights would be infringed upon. So where's the problem? If I'm right about this, the KKK doesn't have the right to have their rallies wherever they please. I think they have to have permits and are restricted to certain areas by local government/law enforcement. Maybe the problem is that they are still allowed too close to the funerals. Common sense says the law should be re-written to take the families' rights into stronger consideration. There is no defending their position in my opinion. It seems that only one side's rights are being defended here. It's insanity I tell you.

Quote Originally Posted by BuddhaBus View Post
    And that would mean no one's rights would be infringed upon. So where's the problem? If I'm right about this, the KKK doesn't have the right to have their rallies wherever they please. I think they have to have permits and are restricted to certain areas by local government/law enforcement. Maybe the problem is that they are still allowed too close to the funerals. Common sense says the law should be re-written to take the families' rights into stronger consideration. There is no defending their position in my opinion. It seems that only one side's rights are being defended here. It's insanity I tell you.
    The problem, as I see it, is that there has been emotional damage already done to the relatives of soldiers that gave their lives for this country. Understandably they are looking at this lawsuit from an emotional viewpoint and from a point of compensation through a change in the law.

The flip side of this is that this ignorant bunch of protesting lugnuts, are thinly veiling their hate and lack of biblical knowledge behind their "rights"....also looking at this from an emotional point of view....hoping to gain some "credibility" by having their ignorant stance backed by law.

You are correct in that the municipalities dropped the ball on this one. At least in Illinois...these nutsacks would have been sent to the courthouse square...or been allowed at the cemetary 2 hours after the funeral.

-- Jack Lambert --

You are correct in that the municipalities dropped the ball on this one. At least in Illinois...these nutsacks would have been sent to the courthouse square...or been allowed at the cemetary 2 hours after the funeral.
    And that's the way it should be. Nobody's rights are really trampled on that way and the argument becomes moot at that point. They still get to voice their opinions without disrespecting the fallen soldier and his/her family and friends. It's too volatile of a situation to allow to continue as is. Someone is going to get killed and for what? What point is truly made by that?

I feel the REAL reason these backwards-ass hillbillies do this is because they want to incite a violent reaction just so they can sue for money. None of them seems to be sane and stable enough to hold a real job for livable income. Any respectable company that would employ any of these twisted social misfits should be boycotted.

member since day 1 Array title="7SteelGal43 is a name known to all"> 7SteelGal43's Avatar

Simple solution.

I thought the most compelling argument as far as not being a violation of right to free speech was that it was aimed at specific individuals with intent to cause harm. Westboro just needs to quit, period !
    Stay classy, leftnutz

Quote Originally Posted by 7SteelGal43 View Post
    I thought the most compelling argument as far as not being a violation of right to free speech was that it was aimed at specific individuals with intent to cause harm. Westboro just needs to quit, period !
    Oh, I agree with you from a common sense perspective. However....The "Law" and "Common Sense" haven't been properly introduced in the last 75 years.

-- Jack Lambert --

Old School Misfit Array title="silver & black has a reputation beyond repute"> silver & black's Avatar

Oh, I agree with you from a common sense perspective. However....The "Law" and "Common Sense" haven't been properly introduced in the last 75 years.
    And that is the reason for so many problems around the country, not just this particular one.

member since day 1 Array title="7SteelGal43 is a name known to all"> 7SteelGal43's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BuddhaBus View Post
    Karma, baby, karma!
    Yep. And karma is a real mean bitch with a 12 inch strap-on !
    Stay classy, leftnutz

Senior Member Array title="zulater has a reputation beyond repute"> zulater's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Godfather View Post
    I agree 100%. The issue here is not the content of their message. The issue is that grieving families have the right to bury their loved ones in peace.

If the content of the message were different (such as Code Pink saying good riddance to the baby killer), there would still be a problem. But if the venue were changed (letter to the editor, protests at military recruitment centers, going on TV or radio and saying dead soldiers are God's punishment on us for tolerating gays, etc.) it would clearly be protected speech.

So there is no First Amendment issue with stopping them...we're not discriminating against their message or stopping them from expressing their views. We're simply protecting the rights of the military families.
    Thanks to you and Wallace for offering common sense to this thread.
    "A man's got to know his limitations."

Administrator Array title="HometownGal has a reputation beyond repute"> HometownGal's Avatar

Remind me never to piss you off. My hoo-hah hurts just thinking of that.

CANCER - YOU PICKED THE WRONG BITCH!!!

Senior Member Array title="GodfatherofSoul is a jewel in the rough"> GodfatherofSoul's Avatar

I live in Kansas which is where they're headquartered. The Phelps family makes money off of outlandish behavior followed by the press and counter-suits they file when law enforcement tries to crack down on them. They're literally nothing more than one extended family, not a real church. Ignore them, and they'll go away. Keep giving them attention and overreaching to "punish" them, and they'll keep concocting new and even more outlandish acts to get paid.