Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Gruden Gone!

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

Re: Gruden Gone!

Anyone else find it weird that Gruden gets fired but Antonio Brown is still allowed to play in the NFL despite doing worse shit (plus let's not forget calling Mike Mayock a "cracker"). I really don't know what is in the emails but I am not going to assume that what was said wasn't completely overblown by the media and the excessive sensitivity of Roger Goodell and the utterly useless DeMaurice Smith

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

AB has a better track record of tangible recent success than Gruden?

Plus, from what I’ve seen, Gruden could work in the NFL tomorrow if anyone would hire him.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

It’s a blessing in disguise for the Raiders. They’ll get an opportunity at a free upgrade at HC and at a better price…

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="Steeler-in-west has a reputation beyond repute"> Steeler-in-west's Avatar

Todd Haley's available

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Steeler-in-west View Post
    Todd Haley's available
    The up-and-coming Canada can also be had for a R2 pick.

Senior Member Array title="EzraTank has a reputation beyond repute"> EzraTank's Avatar

Mike Tomlin's comments on this situation:

Earlier this season, Mike Tomlin had high praise for Jon Gruden. With his Steelers preparing to take on Gruden's Raiders, Tomlin assured reporters that his former mentor had "no fear" as a head coach, highlighting Gruden's "can-do approach" and "positive energy," both of which Tomlin said he learned from working under the former Buccaneers coach back in the early 2000s. Now, a month later, with Gruden out as Raiders coach, Tomlin opened up about his ex-mentor's resignation in the wake of an email scandal.

"I'm just saddened by it," Tomlin said Tuesday. "I'm saddened for the Raiders organization, I'm saddened for the people that were offended by it, I'm saddened for Coach Gruden. It's a sad commentary. And that's really the only opinion that I care to share at this juncture."

Gruden is just two days removed from stepping down -- a move that followed a New York Times report detailing a pattern of insensitive language, including homophobic and misogynistic comments, in his email communications between 2010-2018.

Before becoming the Steelers coach and serving one year as the Vikings defensive coordinator, Tomlin spent four seasons working under Gruden in Tampa Bay, serving as the latter's defensive backs coach. Tomlin won a Super Bowl alongside Gruden in 2002 and fostered longstanding a respect for the coach as an NFL influence.

"He looks at an issue or a problem, and he sees it as an opportunity," Tomlin said of Gruden in September, as the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette reported. "I worked for him for four years. You can't fake that. It's every day from him. I've probably always generally had that mentality, but he helped me hone it as a vocation, as a coach. His can-do approach, the positive energy that he consistently brings to whatever challenge that the job presents helped me grow in a big way as a coach when I worked for him as a young guy, for sure."

Senior Member Array title="willy has a reputation beyond repute"> willy's Avatar

Earlier this season, Mike Tomlin had high praise for Jon Gruden. With his Steelers preparing to take on Gruden's Raiders, Tomlin assured reporters that his former mentor had "no fear" as a head coach, highlighting Gruden's "can-do approach" and "positive energy," both of which Tomlin said he learned from working under the former Buccaneers coach back in the early 2000s. Now, a month later, with Gruden out as Raiders coach, Tomlin opened up about his ex-mentor's resignation in the wake of an email scandal.

"I'm just saddened by it," Tomlin said Tuesday. "I'm saddened for the Raiders organization, I'm saddened for the people that were offended by it, I'm saddened for Coach Gruden. It's a sad commentary. And that's really the only opinion that I care to share at this juncture."

Gruden is just two days removed from stepping down -- a move that followed a New York Times report detailing a pattern of insensitive language, including homophobic and misogynistic comments, in his email communications between 2010-2018.

Before becoming the Steelers coach and serving one year as the Vikings defensive coordinator, Tomlin spent four seasons working under Gruden in Tampa Bay, serving as the latter's defensive backs coach. Tomlin won a Super Bowl alongside Gruden in 2002 and fostered longstanding a respect for the coach as an NFL influence.

"He looks at an issue or a problem, and he sees it as an opportunity," Tomlin said of Gruden in September, as the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette reported. "I worked for him for four years. You can't fake that. It's every day from him. I've probably always generally had that mentality, but he helped me hone it as a vocation, as a coach. His can-do approach, the positive energy that he consistently brings to whatever challenge that the job presents helped me grow in a big way as a coach when I worked for him as a young guy, for sure."

Well said by Tomlin.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Steeler-in-west View Post
    Todd Haley's available
    Haley is pretty good on the radio.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="j-d-s is a jewel in the rough">

Just another example of the cancel culture. Cancel culture and deplatforming are one of the biggest threats to the freedom of speech, which needs to be extended in the same way as other forms of discrimination.

Nobody should lose their job because of anything they say unless it is a criminal offense, but only if convicted (except of course, removal from public office through elections or impeachment). Also, nobody should be banned from major free-speech relevant platforms suchs as Twitter, Facebook, or web hosting services, unless ordered by a judge in due process.

In my mind, free speech must apply to everyone because once we start limiting free speech to "acceptable" contents it's no longer free speech and at that point there's no stopping a steady decline of the scope of "acceptable" contents of free speech.

Banned Array title="Lloydwoodsonjr is a splendid one to behold">

Quote Originally Posted by cubanstogie View Post
    gotta love the woke culture we live in!

- - - Updated - - -

you’re really only able to make fun of old white guys. The goodell portion of it was Okay, everything else not so much.
    The Goodell ones got him fired. Roger targeted Gruden just like he has Brady, Harrison etc.

Hundreds of thousands of emails were investigated by the NFL- creepy in of itself as if the NFL is the FBI.

The one person to suffer is Gruden?! Pretty sure lots of NFL meatheads are politically incorrect.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by j-d-s View Post
    Just another example of the cancel culture.
    Call your boss a p**sy and a f**got and see how long it takes you to get cancelled on your job.

Quote Originally Posted by j-d-s View Post
    Just another example of the cancel culture. Cancel culture and deplatforming are one of the biggest threats to the freedom of speech, which needs to be extended in the same way as other forms of discrimination.

Nobody should lose their job because of anything they say unless it is a criminal offense, but only if convicted (except of course, removal from public office through elections or impeachment). Also, nobody should be banned from major free-speech relevant platforms suchs as Twitter, Facebook, or web hosting services, unless ordered by a judge in due process.

In my mind, free speech must apply to everyone because once we start limiting free speech to "acceptable" contents it's no longer free speech and at that point there's no stopping a steady decline of the scope of "acceptable" contents of free speech.
    No. Just . . . No.

I really am sick and tired of hearing the "Freedom of speech" bullet point smacked onto everything and completely out of context.

Dixie Chicks speak out against the president and lose their crowdbase? Nope, not a violation of freedom of speech.
    A company chooses to deny someone a platform? Nope, not a violation of freedom of speech.
    Gruden gets fired? No violation there either.

Let's clarify, "Freedom of Speech" is one thing and one thing alone. The government does not intervene and arrest or otherwise fine citizen for their speech. And, even that has its limits such as crying fire in a crowded theater or inciting a riot.

Look, I think "cancel culture" is a virulent line of thought that working in the exact opposite of what many are hoping such a culture will achieve. But declaring it a threat to freedom of speech ignores what freedom of speech really is . . . freedom from government interference. It is not freedom from consequence from nongovernment entities.

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Craic View Post
    No. Just . . . No.

I really am sick and tired of hearing the "Freedom of speech" bullet point smacked onto everything and completely out of context.

Dixie Chicks speak out against the president and lose their crowdbase? Nope, not a violation of freedom of speech.
    A company chooses to deny someone a platform? Nope, not a violation of freedom of speech.

Let's clarify, "Freedom of Speech" is one thing and one thing alone. The government does not intervene and arrest or otherwise fine citizen for their speech. And, even that has its limits such as crying fire in a crowded theater or inciting a riot.

Look, I think "cancel culture" is a virulent line of thought that working in the exact opposite of what many are hoping such a culture will achieve. But declaring it a threat to freedom of speech ignores what freedom of speech really is . . . freedom from government interference. It is not freedom from consequence from nongovernment entities.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

No. Just . . . No.

Bulletproof reasoning.

Senior Member Array title="EzraTank has a reputation beyond repute"> EzraTank's Avatar

Yep free speech doesn't give you he ability to say shit without repercussions. What Gruden said, no one stopped him from saying. But the NFL is a private industry and if they wanted to fire him over it then it is their right (even though they didn't have to) to do so.

I have a 14 year old son and I am constantly telling him what he says or does online will be forever and to remember that. Gruden was a moron and got everything he deserved.

Quote Originally Posted by EzraTank View Post
    Yep free speech doesn't give you he ability to say shit without repercussions. What Gruden said, no one stopped him from saying. But the NFL is a private industry and if they wanted to fire him over it then it is their right (even though they didn't have to) to do so.

I have a 14 year old son and I am constantly telling him what he says or does online will be forever and to remember that. Gruden was a moron and got everything he deserved.
    Exactly, what he posts on social media right now could keep him from getting a scholarship or important job - even years down the road. Kids fail to realize that until it's too late.

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

I’d hate to grow up as a kid in this day and age, if you do something embarrassing and it’s caught on camera it’ll follow you for life. In the past you could move to a new town and nothing would follow you unless it was something crazy enough to make the news. Not so much anymore

Quote Originally Posted by Fire Goodell View Post
    I’d hate to grow up as a kid in this day and age, if you do something embarrassing and it’s caught on camera it’ll follow you for life. In the past you could move to a new town and nothing would follow you unless it was something crazy enough to make the news. Not so much anymore

Hmm. Experience?

In truth, we've all had those moments in the past on which we now look back and cringe. I couldn't imagine those being caught on camera and displayed for the world. It's one thing if the person who does it uploads their own video, but for someone else to do it . . . yeah, no thanks.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

It's one thing if the person who does it uploads their own video, but for someone else to do it . . . yeah, no thanks.
    And, that’s how I spend a good portion of me day.

(Clarificatuon: I deal with cyber-bullying… I am not uploading other people’s videos.)