Thread: Jimmy Johnson predicted Najee’s big day

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Jimmy Johnson predicted Najee’s big day

On the Fox pregame show, Jimmy Johnson stated that the Steelers need to run the ball.

Before you say, “Duh”, he was very specific. He said that the Steelers needed to focus on & commit to running plays. Johnson stated: Once the opposing defense has to stop the run, then the Steelers will be able to pass.

We saw just that.

There were still 8-10 defenders in the box, but those defenders couldn’t simply pin their ears back and rush the passer; the Broncos had to play the run first. Voila!!!… the Steelers short-passing game no longer had linebackers sitting on those routes. Then, on plays when the defenders dropped back into that short zone, Canada called a run… and Najee delivered.

SUMMATION:
    Good job, Canada.
    Good job, O-line.
    Good job, Ben.
    Great job, Najee.

Senior Member Array title="CV1 is a jewel in the rough"> CV1's Avatar

Re: Jimmy Johnson predicted Najee’s big day

It wasn’t as if JJ was predicting, just stating simple truths.

If the run works, everything else works…duh

Yeah oversimplification, but predictive… not in the slightest.

Sarcasm:

If you breathe, and commit to breathing, air will fill your lungs, hence; you will not die from complications of not breathing 🥱

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Kind of.

The point (my point at least) is that there was zero “commitment” to the run for the past (checks notes) five seasons. This has been a pass-first offense for a while. Today was a drastic shift… and a necessary one.

Make sense?

Senior Member Array title="CV1 is a jewel in the rough"> CV1's Avatar

And that’s predictive? (Your title not mine)

Point or no point, of sense or nonsense… it’s still a duh

Hope that makes sense… or was there a point other than rehashing JJ’s Captain Obvious comment?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Let me put it this way: If I had to make a wager, I would NOT have bet that Ben would have “allowed” this offense to be run-first.

Should it be? Yes (I agree: duh)
    Would I have bet on it? No

Johnson had the guts to say it on television.

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

The offensive line looks like it's starting to gel. As ugly as last week was, they managed to get some semblance of a run game going. They followed it up with a big game against a good defense. The arrow is pointing up for this young OL, I'm looking forward to see more smashmouth football in Pittsburgh.

Quote Originally Posted by Fire Goodell View Post
    The offensive line looks like it's starting to gel. As ugly as last week was, they managed to get some semblance of a run game going. They followed it up with a big game against a good defense. The arrow is pointing up for this young OL, I'm looking forward to see more smashmouth football in Pittsburgh.
    Bingo!!! I read that Moore & Chukks only allowed one pressure all game. Obviously, Chukks had a couple of false starts and a hold (I think), but that’s a huge improvement.

Speaking of penalties, the “ineligible man downfield” penalty on Green was such BS. He took a step forward; he was maybe a yard past the LOS. He was nowhere close to being downfield. Not only did it move us backwards, it negated a first down. (Did it also kill the drive???)

But, back to the blocking. I think that the run-first mentality plays well for the young O-linemen. Both Green & Dotson are best moving forward/being aggressive (as opposed to pass blocking). Plus, once the run was established, our O-line wasn’t having to deal with all of those defenders pass-rushing at will; the defenders were looking to stop the run (which makes pass protection a lot easier).

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    Bingo!!! I read that Moore & Chukks only allowed one pressure all game. Obviously, Chukks had a couple of false starts and a hold (I think), but that’s a huge improvement.

Speaking of penalties, the “ineligible man downfield” penalty on Green was such BS. He took a step forward; he was maybe a yard past the LOS. He was nowhere close to being downfield. Not only did it move us backwards, it negated a first down. (Did it also kill the drive???)

But, back to the blocking. I think that the run-first mentality plays well for the young O-linemen. Both Green & Dotson are best moving forward/being aggressive (as opposed to pass blocking). Plus, once the run was established, our O-line wasn’t having to deal with all of those defenders pass-rushing at will; the defenders were looking to stop the run (which makes pass protection a lot easier).

I thought you were speaking of Benny Snell.

Quote Originally Posted by Shoes View Post
    I thought you were speaking of Benny Snell.
    Bwahahaha