Thread: Sunday's QB Comparison

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Sunday's QB Comparison

The last report I heard, just a few minutes ago, was that Bridgewater was going to play Sunday vs. the Steelers. I hope so because it will make for an interesting comparison.

Bridgewater has become the QB no one really wants - a bridge rental. When his name was brought up here during the offseason (as he was available), it got shot down by virtually everyone. It's almost as if people were still comparing a top 5 Ben to the rest of the QBs in the league. Well, Bridgewater aint no top 5 QB. But........ he is the level of QB that will be available this offseason as a bridge.

Who will play better Sunday, Bridge or Ben? I will be watching intently to make that evaluation.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Re: Sunday's QB Comparison

Does it matter?

I, for one, do not understand what a bridge QB gets you? I think it is a nonsensical approach that teams without the ability to make actual decisions employ.

You aren't winning a SB with a bridge QB...you just aren't. We have seen two high profile teams just this off-season acknowledge that with the Rams and the Niners. The Chiefs did it when they went from Smith to Mahomes. The Vikings have just spent how many seasons in play-off purgatory as they bridged it to nowhere with Cousins.

Go get a guy or lose enough games to accumulate the resources to get your guy.

If you bring a vet bridge without having the resources to get the next "guy", your just going to muck about and win just enough to not be in position to draft a QB and not win enough to do anything useful. There goes the rest of Heyward, Watt, MF, etc careers. That would be a shame.

Figure out if your guy is in the 2022 draft class. If so, make sure you end up with him. If not, then play Rudolph, Haskins, or insert your favorite reclamation project here (mine would be Tua if the Dolphins moved on). Then draft the guy in 2023. Play him right away. Only crappy teams with no infrastructure can ruin a guy by playing him. Good teams can incubate a QB and help him flourish early.

TLDR; No veteran bridge QB unless that vet is young enough to still have unrealized potential.

Senior Member Array title="EzraTank has a reputation beyond repute"> EzraTank's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    The last report I heard, just a few minutes ago, was that Bridgewater was going to play Sunday vs. the Steelers. I hope so because it will make for an interesting comparison.

Bridgewater has become the QB no one really wants - a bridge rental. When his name was brought up here during the offseason (as he was available), it got shot down by virtually everyone. It's almost as if people were still comparing a top 5 Ben to the rest of the QBs in the league. Well, Bridgewater aint no top 5 QB. But........ he is the level of QB that will be available this offseason as a bridge.

Who will play better Sunday, Bridge or Ben? I will be watching intently to make that evaluation.
    Well his last name literally has Bridge in it.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

So, mojouw, your idea is to draft a QB and throw him to the wolves day one? The other option is to get a star QB who’s disgruntled like the Rams did. Are you willing to pay that price? And even if you are, there aren’t any available most years.

As for Bridgewater, there’s a real strong chance that he hasn’t played his best football yet.

Jimmy G could be available very soon after this Sunday. At a cheap price.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

So, mojouw, your idea is to draft a QB and throw him to the wolves day one? The other option is to get a star QB who’s disgruntled like the Rams did. Are you willing to pay that price? And even if you are, there aren’t any available most years.

As for Bridgewater, there’s a real strong chance that he hasn’t played his best football yet.
    You aren’t throwing him to the wolves if you build the proper infrastructure.

RB? Check
    TE? Check
    Defense? Check
    WR talent? Check

If you got it right, dude will be fine. Then you know where you’re at. While he’s cheap and expendable.

Either you have Josh Allen and he needs to develop but it’s gonna work or you have Josh Rosen and you gotta go back to the well.

Teddy Bridgewater’s best Football doesn’t get you anywhere. Gets you 11-6 to 8-9. That’s second or third in a strong AFC North.

Bridgewater’s ceiling is some version of Baker Mayfield’s. Lots of talk that the Browns are already trying to determine how to improve on Mayfield rather than extend him.

What’s the point of that? Time is the most precious resource in the NFL. Why waste it on a scenario with little chance of paying off?

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    You aren’t throwing him to the wolves if you build the proper infrastructure.

RB? Check
    TE? Check
    Defense? Check
    WR talent? Check

If you got it right, dude will be fine. Then you know where you’re at. While he’s cheap and expendable.

Either you have Josh Allen and he needs to develop but it’s gonna work or you have Josh Rosen and you gotta go back to the well.
    I’m not sure one of those guys is available this year. Call it whatever you want, but if they draft a QB and don’t sign one, Mason will be the bridge.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    Teddy Bridgewater’s best Football doesn’t get you anywhere. Gets you 11-6 to 8-9. That’s second or third in a strong AFC North.

Bridgewater’s ceiling is some version of Baker Mayfield’s. Lots of talk that the Browns are already trying to determine how to improve on Mayfield rather than extend him.

What’s the point of that? Time is the most precious resource in the NFL. Why waste it on a scenario with little chance of paying off?
    Well he was 5-0 with the Saints and he’s 3-0 this year in games he was able to finish. I’m not saying he’s a franchise QB but if he was our QB we’re likely 3-1 not 1-3. You see I’m not one to criticize Ben and call for his benching while at the same time snubbing options that are realistic.

I’m not sure one of those guys is available this year. Call it whatever you want, but if they draft a QB and don’t sign one, Mason will be the bridge.

- - - Updated - - -

Well he was 5-0 with the Saints and he’s 3-0 this year in games he was able to finish. I’m not saying he’s a franchise QB but if he was our QB we’re likely 3-1 not 1-3. You see I’m not one to criticize Ben and call for his benching while at the same time snubbing options that are realistic.
    Fair.

I’d rather roll with Rudolph or Haskins if they don’t draft someone.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Jimmy G could be available very soon after this Sunday. At a cheap price.

It’s all coming to fruition.

http://www.steelersuniverse.com/foru...l=1#post777923