Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Now the national media is talking about Rodgers to Steelers (I'm so far ahead of them)

Senior Member Array title="EzraTank has a reputation beyond repute"> EzraTank's Avatar

Now the national media is talking about Rodgers to Steelers (I'm so far ahead of them)

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/a...elers-in-2022/

Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers raised some eyebrows around the NFL last week when he fawned over Steelers coach Mike Tomlin during an interview with Pat McAfee, which took place just days before Green Bay would beat Pittsburgh 27-17.

With Rodgers unhappy in Green Bay, speculation immediately started after the interview that the Packers quarterback was doing his best to let the Steelers know that he wanted to play for them. The speculation then reached a fever pitch DURING the Week 4 game after Rodgers and Tomlin had a moment together.

The head nod above happened after Tomlin called a timeout, which prevented Rodgers from catching the Steelers defense with 12 players on the field.

When you look at everything that's happened between the two guys over the past 10 days, it's easy to see why some people think that Rodgers is sending signals to the Steelers to come after him this offseason. However, during his weekly appearance on "The Pat McAfree Show," Rodgers said that's simply not the case.

"I'm just speaking the truth," Rodgers said. "Ask me a question about Mike Tomlin, I'm going to tell you how I feel about Mike Tomlin. If you want to take that and run with it and say I'm angling for some sort of next team or something, I'm not. I'm just answering a question about my respect for Mike and what he's accomplished in the league."

That being said, Rodgers did also point out once again that he's a huge fan of the Steelers coach.

"I'm a big Mike Tomlin fan. I have been for a long time," Rodgers said. "I like the way that he speaks about his team. I like the way he goes about his business. I like his confidence. I've heard nothing but good things from guys that have played there. I like Mike Tomlin."

Comments like this will definitely be keeping the speculation going that Rodgers wants to play for the Steelers next season.

By the way, this speculation all started because of what Rodgers said BEFORE the Packers played the Steelers.

"I have a ton of respect for Mike," Rodgers said on Sept. 28. "I think he's a fantastic coach. I love the way that he leads. I love that way that he talks after the games. He always seems to keep things really even keel. Looks like he's somebody that players love playing for."

As for Tomlin, the admiration appears to mutual with Rodgers.

"If you're a competitor, you love being in that environment," Tomlin said this week of facing Rodgers at Lambeau Field, via Triblive.com. "You love pitting your skills and talents and preparedness versus people like those guys, led by a guy like that guy."

After an offseason of drama in Green Bay, Rodgers made it clear in August that he's not exactly happy with the Packers. Unless something changes going forward, there's a chance he'll be leaving Green Bay during the upcoming offseason and based on his comments, it sounds like he wouldn't mind if he were to end up in Pittsburgh playing for Tomlin.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Re: Now the national media is talking about Rodgers to Steelers (I'm so far ahead of them)

Yeah it was your idea.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Re: Now the national media is talking about Rodgers to Steelers (I'm so far ahead of them)

OK, but havent a lot of Steeler fans been hating on Rodgers the past several years for getting too much credit and attention, when he isnt as good as Ben was? I mean, arent there a lot of posters on this board that think Rodgers is.........over rated??

Senior Member Array title="EzraTank has a reputation beyond repute"> EzraTank's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    Yeah it was your idea.
    Thank you, it's important to finally hear.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by EzraTank View Post
    Thank you, it's important to finally hear.
    I validate you.

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

Is there some actual credibility to these rumors or is this just more baseless sports media speculation? This same baseless speculation would have had you believing that Rodgers was going to the Broncos

U.S. AIR FORCE Array title="Hindes204 has much to be proud of"> Hindes204's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by st33lersguy View Post
    Is there some actual credibility to these rumors or is this just more baseless sports media speculation? This same baseless speculation would have had you believing that Rodgers was going to the Broncos
    it’s all speculation. It’ll never happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Hindes204 View Post
    Exactly what I say.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Pffft… A-A-Ron is so last week.

It’s all about Geno Smith​.

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    OK, but havent a lot of Steeler fans been hating on Rodgers the past several years for getting too much credit and attention, when he isnt as good as Ben was? I mean, arent there a lot of posters on this board that think Rodgers is.........over rated??
    Perhaps folks hate on him because Mr. Discount Double-Check is a giant douchenozzle...

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hindes204 View Post

Hey Bro, nice to see you! Hope all is well!

There is a greater chance Mason replaces Ben and wins out the regular season, playoffs and SB.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shoes View Post
    There is a greater chance Mason replaces Ben and wins out the regular season, playoffs and SB.
    Now you’re talking!!!

Quote Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
    Perhaps folks hate on him because Mr. Discount Double-Check is a giant douchenozzle...
    If he brings #7 I don't really care. Let's face it Ben wasn't exactly a "cool" dude either.

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by EzraTank View Post
    If he brings #7 I don't really care. Let's face it Ben wasn't exactly a "cool" dude either.
    But Ben is OUR douchenozzle...

Senior Member Array title="cubanstogie has a reputation beyond repute"> cubanstogie's Avatar

there’s also a lot of posters who think Brady is a “system “ QB. I guess now they’re saying he just a 2 system QB. Hatred of players blinds you, as well as coaches. I hate Harbaugh but recently had to admit to myself he is a great coach. Rodgers has carried team when O line sucked and had no elite weapons at skill positions, even though he is a douche IMO no denying greatness.

U.S. AIR FORCE Array title="Hindes204 has much to be proud of"> Hindes204's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shoes View Post
    Hey Bro, nice to see you! Hope all is well!

all is good, took some time off of forums and social media for a few years, slowly getting back into it.

And I agree, both of those scenarios are damn near impossible

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

Rodgers will be 38 next year, how much longer will he play at this level? I want a new QB not a new old QB. Ben was good until he wasn't, it wasn't a gradual fall-off, but literally his play went off a cliff during the course of a season. Partly due to injury but that tends to happen when you get older and have a couple of decades of wear and tear playing this game

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Fire Goodell View Post
    Rodgers will be 38 next year, how much longer will he play at this level? I want a new QB not a new old QB. Ben was good until he wasn't, it wasn't a gradual fall-off, but literally his play went off a cliff during the course of a season. Partly due to injury but that tends to happen when you get older and have a couple of decades of wear and tear playing this game
    True, I think when the Steelers move on from Ben, then look at a QB in the draft and sign a QB that can bridge a couple years to the new QB.

So you have to ask youself a couple question. Is Rodgers still playing at a high level? Does he have less wear and tear on his body than Ben, because of playing style, surgeries, etc? How many years did he sit behind Favre after being drafted, as opposed to Ben that started his rookie year and has been playing ever since?

So maybe the look at Rodgers, with the understanding that he is only a Steeler for maybe 3 years at the most. Or maybe they just look at a guy like Jacoby Brissett on a 2 year deal and still draft somebody like Matt Corral from Ole Miss, who will likely need a year or 2 before getting his NFL shot. Either way, I have zero control on the topic, so am just gonna sit back and be a fan while the whole thing plays out.

Senior Member Array title="Steeler-in-west has a reputation beyond repute"> Steeler-in-west's Avatar

True, I think when the Steelers move on from Ben, then look at a QB in the draft and sign a QB that can bridge a couple years to the new QB.

So you have to ask youself a couple question. Is Rodgers still playing at a high level? Does he have less wear and tear on his body than Ben, because of playing style, surgeries, etc? How many years did he sit behind Favre after being drafted, as opposed to Ben that started his rookie year and has been playing ever since?

So maybe the look at Rodgers, with the understanding that he is only a Steeler for maybe 3 years at the most. Or maybe they just look at a guy like Jacoby Brissett on a 2 year deal and still draft somebody like Matt Corral from Ole Miss, who will likely need a year or 2 before getting his NFL shot. Either way, I have zero control on the topic, so am just gonna sit back and be a fan while the whole thing plays out.
    looks like he is playing at a high level, Ben is not making the throws Rodgers is making, i guess like you alluded to, Ben's too banged up, not a specific injury necessarily, just overall chronic age related stuff - and perhaps that's affecting his confidence.

Whether we get Rodgers or not depends on if Rodgers really wants to come here. If he does, i think the Steelers would make it happen.

Quote Originally Posted by cubanstogie View Post
    there’s also a lot of posters who think Brady is a “system “ QB. I guess now they’re saying he just a 2 system QB.
    Not to mention plenty of HGH. Sorry, but you can't tell me that quack “trainer” of his isn’t pumping him full of PEDs. Either that, or he's the first dude in NFL history who's figured out how to beat Father Time and I’m supposed to believe that a guy can have a better arm at 40+ than he did at 30. Yeah, right.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Why can’t Rudolph be the bridge? If you’re just being a bridge, what’s the difference if it is a free agent or Rudolph?

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Why can’t Rudolph be the bridge? If you’re just being a bridge, what’s the difference if it is a free agent or Rudolph?
    It’s likely why they extended him one year and only one year.

My dream scenario is not Rodgers but Russell Wilson. There are rumors that the off-season discontent has resurfaced. He could be the guy for 6-7 years.

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    I was hopeful that Rudolph could work out some mechanics with regard to his feet following his eyes thru his progressions, but I havent seen it happen yet. So the result is that he throws the ball late, and with not much leg drive, so if he gets to his 3rd read, he is throwing a floater of a pass, with just arm action and he isnt stepping towards his throws, so the accuracy isnt great.

So basically if you want a QB as a bridge that will likely throw a ratio like 18INT and 14TD passes until he is replaced, then Mason Rudolph is the guy. If you want a QB under center that has a chance to get the team to 9 wins in a season, then you likely need somebody else.

I think a great selling point for any QB to pick Pittsburgh is Mike Tomlin. He is highly thought of by players around the league.

Senior Member Array title="stillers4me has a reputation beyond repute"> stillers4me's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
    Not to mention plenty of HGH. Sorry, but you can't tell me that quack “trainer” of his isn’t pumping him full of PEDs. Either that, or he's the first dude in NFL history who's figured out how to beat Father Time and I’m supposed to believe that a guy can have a better arm at 40+ than he did at 30. Yeah, right.
    ^^^THIS^^^

It's this or he made a deal with the devil. Take your pick.

My dream scenario is not Rodgers but Russell Wilson. There are rumors that the off-season discontent has resurfaced. He could be the guy for 6-7 years.
    Seattle doesn’t have a R1 pick… making a trade all the more plausible.

What would be the asking price?
    Three R1 picks is my guess.

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    Seattle doesn’t have a R1 pick… making a trade all the more plausible.

What would be the asking price?
    Three R1 picks is my guess.
    At least three. But Colbert will never get the required number of votes from the forum members to make the deal.

Russell Wilson in theory would be better than Rodgers based on Wilson having a few more years left of his prime. I just don't believe he is on the market or will be on the market. Joe blow is speculating there might be trouble and he might want a trade? Cool, he was supposedly in the same position this offseason and look where we are.

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

it would be a perfect pick, I have heard Russell loves playing behind poor offensive lines.