Thread: Ben Roethlisberger has a hip injury, but Mike Tomlin is 'absolutely' convinced he remains the best QB for Steelers

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Ben Roethlisberger has a hip injury, but Mike Tomlin is 'absolutely' convinced he remains the best QB for Steelers

Steelers coach Mike Tomlin said quarterback Ben Roethlisberger has a hip injury and his practice participation could be limited early in the week as the Steelers prepare for Sunday’s game against the Denver Broncos at Heinz Field.
    It’s the second injury for Roethlisberger in the first month of the season. Tomlin said that’s not particularly surprising given Roethlisberger’s age and the position he plays.
    “It’s probably just a component of being in your late 30s and playing this game, particularly if you’re playing one-dimensional football,” Tomlin said at his weekly news conference. “That’s why it’s important for us to continue to improve and work in all areas.”
    Tomlin said he is confident in backup Mason Rudolph if Roethlisberger cannot play this week, saying “We’ve called on Mason in the past, and he’s been able to play winning football for us.” But he’s not looking to bench his two-time Super Bowl winning quarterback after the 1-3 start to the season.

More here

https://www.post-gazette.com/sports/...s/202110050118

Senior Member Array title="EzraTank has a reputation beyond repute"> EzraTank's Avatar

Re: Ben Roethlisberger has a hip injury, but Mike Tomlin is 'absolutely' convinced he remains the best QB for Steelers

Hopefully this is the beginning of the face saving "hip injury" that needs time on the IR excuse.

Senior Member Array title="Steeler-in-west has a reputation beyond repute"> Steeler-in-west's Avatar

Re: Ben Roethlisberger has a hip injury, but Mike Tomlin is 'absolutely' convinced he remains the best QB for Steelers

sounds like their seriously thinking of going with Rudolph this weekend.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Go with Rudolph and give up now?

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Quite the opposite, Rudolph's level of play is likely higher than Ben at this point in his career. I feel he'd give us a better chance of winning.

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

I really wonder if Tomlin can make that decision (unless Ben is injured)? I doubt AB living in a private residence at training camp was granted by Tomlin, I think it was above his pay grade.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Fire Goodell View Post
    Quite the opposite, Rudolph's level of play is likely higher than Ben at this point in his career. I feel he'd give us a better chance of winning.
    Agreed.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Light at the end of the tunnel? Could be an oncoming train, but at least there’s a chance. I feel there’s none with Ben.

Senior Member Array title="Edman has a reputation beyond repute">

If Mason comes in and he sucks, then its not like theres a difference. We suck, get a high draft pick and the Steelers get a good head start on theie evaluation for their plans for 2022 to start looking for a quarterback.

With Ben, they're just kicking the can down the road to the inevitable. They're not contending any longer with Ben. He's going to hall of fame. He will have a gold jacket. But his NFL playing days are all done.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Mason or Ben they’re just kicking a can down the road.

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

Now we get to hear the old "Ben isn't sucking he's just injured" excuse. Well if he can't seem to stay healthy (these injury reports seem to pop up every year now) and he can't play like an NFL caliber QB when he's injured or recovering from injury, then he doesn't serve the team any good by playing anyway.

Also not surprised by Tomlin's comments since we all know he doesn't have the guts to bench Ben

Senior Member Array title="that1guy is a splendid one to behold">

Ben may very well have as much pull as Tomlin in the organization. Tomlin is most likely instructed on what to say to the media by the Rooneys so hearing that Ben is QB1 shouldn't come as a surprise. If a person looks at the situation from the viewpoint of the entire team then it its fair/right to let the team deteriorate just because Ben wants another shot, Ben is no longer capable. The Steelers aren't a 'next year' organization, they feel every year could be their year so if that's truly the case, sit Ben give Mason or Haskins reps with the 1st team offense and do 2 things at once. 1. Attempt to salvage the remainder of the season, 2. Save Ben a whole lot of humiliation and a disaster to end his career.

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

Starting Ben is kicking a can down the road. Starting Mason at least is giving a chance to a young guy to prove himself. 2019 he didn't pass that test, but I liked what I saw vs the Browns last season.

Senior Member Array title="Edman has a reputation beyond repute">

With Mason you get to see what you're dealing with and whether or not he's gotten any better. With Ben, you already know what you're dealing with, and he's not getting better. This team isn't going anywhere trotting Ben out the rest of the season to watch him embarrass himself further and get beaten up. The Steelers have nothing to lose and the time to make a decision is running out.

They are 1-3 and have looked like a complete trashfire since the season started.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

I'm beginning to think that the "hip injury" and the accompanying vote of confidence is the team's exit strategy to help Ben save face in what will be an otherwise performance based benching. Even if there really is an injury, which is likely, they are playing it up to set the stage. I mean, I can't envision any scenario where they just bench Ben because of performance and let his career end that way.

Quote Originally Posted by Fire Goodell View Post
    Starting Ben is kicking a can down the road. Starting Mason at least is giving a chance to a young guy to prove himself. 2019 he didn't pass that test, but I liked what I saw vs the Browns last season.
    I’ve seen enough of both…

Senior Member Array title="Steeler-in-west has a reputation beyond repute"> Steeler-in-west's Avatar

there's always Cam Newton; not my idea, i heard it on sports radio. Anyway, i think you only bring in a new QB, starter or backup,
    if Ben is done for the year.

Ben: "I need to be better." Gee we've only heard this a hundred times. But now, it's past the time when he can be better.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...in-need-better