Thread: Things to look forward to

Senior Member Array title="Rotorhead has a reputation beyond repute">

Things to look forward to

Najee Harris is the real deal. His runs in the first half against the Packers were eye opening. He runs with power, can make people miss and catch out of the backfield very well. As our OL play improves, he is going to be a force for our offense in the coming years.

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Re: Things to look forward to

Quote Originally Posted by Rotorhead View Post
    Najee Harris is the real deal. His runs in the first half against the Packers were eye opening. He runs with power, can make people miss and catch out of the backfield very well. As our OL play improves, he is going to be a force for our offense in the coming years.
    He also leaves people who try and tackle him on the ground hurting, I believe I've seen it in 2 games now.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

I'm possibly alone on this, but I'm not a fan of Najee so far. And I loved the pick. I question his vision and his speed after seeing him in action at the NFL level.

Senior Member Array title="RunNGun has a reputation beyond repute"> RunNGun's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    I'm possibly alone on this, but I'm not a fan of Najee so far. And I loved the pick. I question his vision and his speed after seeing him in action at the NFL level.
    He has missed some holes, but I'm giving him a pass this far. He has nothing to work with on 75% of his carries. I think he has the potential to be someone that can really wear down a defense, but we have to either develop this OL or go out and get some big names in free agency. Really hoping Banner can make a difference.

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

Najee's decision making hasn't been perfect, but imo it hasn't been bad. What I do like about him is he seems to always win the 1 on 1 battles. He rarely ever gets dropped by the first defender in the open field.

Senior Member Array title="EzraTank has a reputation beyond repute"> EzraTank's Avatar

One of these guys (at this point) should be our #1 pick: Evan Neal of Alabama, Kenyon Green of Texas A&M or Tyler Linderbaum of Iowa.

Honorable Mention:
    Daniel Faalele of Minnesota, Ikem Ekwonu - NC State, Jaxson Kirkland - Washington.

Evan Neal: Neal is a an athletic marvel who has excelled at several O-line positions for the Crimson Tide.
    Kenyon Green: Green started as a true freshman has only gotten better each year. He consistently moves defensive tackles off the line of scrimmage, a trait which translates to any level.
    Tyler Linderbaum: Linderbaum is one of the best offensive linemen in the country, and while 12th overall might seem high for a center.

Although Linderbaum plays center which may not be a need for us depending on how Kendrick Green finishes the year. If we draft one of these guys or possibly two of them then I think trading/signing a veteran guy wouldn't be a bad thing.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    For me, it isn't so much that Najee is or isn't good but that I don't see a guy you absolutely HAD to have. Is the gap between him and a 2nd or 3rd round RB really that big? I don't think so.

So imagine an OL in Round 1 and some like Trey Sermon later on. Is this team worse? Better? The same?

I just don't see a guy in Harris that tilts the field.

Senior Member Array title="EzraTank has a reputation beyond repute"> EzraTank's Avatar

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by EzraTank View Post
    Thats the same look Tomlin had on his face at Mason's pro day.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

One of these guys (at this point) should be our #1 pick: Evan Neal of Alabama, Kenyon Green of Texas A&M or Tyler Linderbaum of Iowa.

Honorable Mention:
    Daniel Faalele of Minnesota, Ikem Ekwonu - NC State, Jaxson Kirkland - Washington.

Evan Neal: Neal is a an athletic marvel who has excelled at several O-line positions for the Crimson Tide.
    Kenyon Green: Green started as a true freshman has only gotten better each year. He consistently moves defensive tackles off the line of scrimmage, a trait which translates to any level.
    Tyler Linderbaum: Linderbaum is one of the best offensive linemen in the country, and while 12th overall might seem high for a center.

Although Linderbaum plays center which may not be a need for us depending on how Kendrick Green finishes the year. If we draft one of these guys or possibly two of them then I think trading/signing a veteran guy wouldn't be a bad thing.
    I like how you think.

In other threads, I have listed those exact three linemen as possible R1 picks for the Steelers.

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

That's if our O-line improves and if the front office gets serious about actually improving the O-line instead of pretending that building an offense solely on TEs, RBs, and WRs while only using later rounds and the cheap part of free agency to address O-line is a viable way to build an offense.

Senior Member Array title="dislocatedday has a reputation beyond repute"> dislocatedday's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by st33lersguy View Post
    That's if our O-line improves and if the front office gets serious about actually improving the O-line instead of pretending that building an offense solely on TEs, RBs, and WRs while only using later rounds and the cheap part of free agency to address O-line is a viable way to build an offense.
    I think the front office values and takes seriously the o-line. I also think unfortunately this past 1-2 years was sort of a "perfect storm" of events that wrecked the O-line in quick fashion and left the team scrambling to a large degree to put this year's line together on the fly. DeCastro, Pouncey, and AV all went south in their play at the same time. I'm guessing the team was hopeful DeCastro would get past his ankle injuries and return to form, but that did not happen. I also guess it's fair to say the front office should have been more proactive and prepared as all these guys were into their 30s. Banner's injury also left them thin at tackle, and whether he can be a long term answer at RT is still up in the air.

I expected Dotson to be more dominant this year, so I have to wonder if those "rumors" in the offseason and training camp of him being out of shape and in the doghouse with Tomlin were true. He looks to have taken a step back so far to me, but hopefully he can improve quickly as the season progresses. I'm OK with letting Dan Moore and Kendrick Green to continue to develop. I think they will both be good players.

I think that unless there is a QB they love in the first round next year that they will spend that first round pick on O-line, and maybe bring another free agent as well.

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

After these last couple games, I don't think our offensive line is as bad as some people say. It's not great, but it is nowhere near the stink fest it was around 2008-09 - now THAT was a bad line. This one has a lot of young players with some promise, and ought to get better. If we can add to it in the off-season, well be ok. I think the line has looked worse than it is because of our one-dimensional play, and that one dimension not even being very good.

Harris is exactly the kind of RB I like, a stocky guy who's hard to bring down. That helps the offense so much, when you have a credible offense in general. But he is not the problem.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Quote Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
    After these last couple games, I don't think our offensive line is as bad as some people say. It's not great, but it is nowhere near the stink fest it was around 2008-09 - now THAT was a bad line. This one has a lot of young players with some promise, and ought to get better. If we can add to it in the off-season, well be ok. I think the line has looked worse than it is because of our one-dimensional play, and that one dimension not even being very good.

Harris is exactly the kind of RB I like, a stocky guy who's hard to bring down. That helps the offense so much, when you have a credible offense in general. But he is not the problem.
    Exactly and if we use the #1 pick (and possibly the #2 pick if it is really high) on two of the earth movers I posted above then imagine how good it will be for years to come, especially if we can land a guy like Rodgers or Jimmy G as a bridge guy to the next draft pick QB. Heck if our line can RB next year we could even get back with MR for a year, but I'd rather see Rodgers with a new line throwing to our receivers. Unfortunately with Alualu going down (probably for life) it looks like we will have to fill that position and CB as well next year.

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Exactly and if we use the #1 pick (and possibly the #2 pick if it is really high) on two of the earth movers I posted above then imagine how good it will be for years to come, especially if we can land a guy like Rodgers or Jimmy G as a bridge guy to the next draft pick QB. Heck if our line can RB next year we could even get back with MR for a year, but I'd rather see Rodgers with a new line throwing to our receivers. Unfortunately with Alualu going down (probably for life) it looks like we will have to fill that position and CB as well next year.
    If we were to get Rodgers, we wouldn't have a #1 pick, since they are going to demand top value in a trade. Garoppolo is more realistic, maybe we could get him with a #2 pick or even less.

As long as we keep making a serious effort to add to the line - meaning not just Round 6 project guys - I'll be happy. Id rather use the premium picks on DL or DB, since I think you're more likely to find an acceptable offensive lineman in Round 3-4 than those other positions (same idea with free agency $$). Of course, if the right player comes along, you take him ... but if we end up with a T10 pick, there are probably more urgent needs than an offensive lineman.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="dislocatedday has a reputation beyond repute"> dislocatedday's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
    After these last couple games, I don't think our offensive line is as bad as some people say. It's not great, but it is nowhere near the stink fest it was around 2008-09 - now THAT was a bad line.
    That 2008-2009 O-line had to be the worst offensive line to ever win a Super Bowl. I'm still kind of amazed the Steelers were able to pull off a SB victory that year. The defense was obviously tremendous, and Ben could buy enough time and improvise back then to make enough plays to win games in crunch time.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

I’m looking forward to Mason playing this Sunday. That’s what I’m looking forward to.

Quote Originally Posted by dislocatedday View Post
    That 2008-2009 O-line had to be the worst offensive line to ever win a Super Bowl. I'm still kind of amazed the Steelers were able to pull off a SB victory that year. The defense was obviously tremendous, and Ben could buy enough time and improvise back then to make enough plays to win games in crunch time.
    You got that right. It was amazing how bad that line was. Some games there were just guys running uncontested straight into the backfield seemingly every play. Almost any kind of stunt or disguised rush caused a completely whiffed blocking assignment. I think it was after the Eagles game that I was left thinking holy shit, this unit is not even capable of playing at a professional level. It was an Antwon Blake level of terrible.

This line does not look like that - it has its ups and downs, but not the glaring, drive-killing mistakes you saw back then. Also a lot less mistakes than the Kemoeatu-Colon-Starks penalty machine we had for a while. Except for the Cincinnati game when the refs were real assholes about everything, not a whole lot of problems there. I would bet that the receivers and running backs have more false starts and holding penalties than the actual linemen this year.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="Steeler-in-west has a reputation beyond repute"> Steeler-in-west's Avatar

1. Banner coming back and improving the O-line.
    2. The pass rush coming back with TJ and Highsmith recovering
    3. 2017 Ben returning? probably not....bring on Rudy

raising him properly Array title="vasteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> vasteeler's Avatar

Looking forward to the Steelers turning things around and making a serious playoff push.

"Zeds dead baby, Zeds dead." - Butch

Senior Member Array title="ETL has a reputation beyond repute"> ETL's Avatar

Looking forward to Ben growing his balls back and possibly saying f#&k it - what do I have to lose and then slinging it all over the place

Member Array title="Blast Furnace is on a distinguished road">

I'll take Green and Linderbaum Rd 1 & 2. Hell, I would sell the fucking rest of the draft to move up to get the other guy in Round 1 as well. Those two on our OL plus a possible great veteran tackle in FA, and this offence will fucking roll! Imagine Dotson, Linderbaum, and Green as our interior lineman - there will be some defensive guys getting pancaked all game and huge holes for Harris to have big games! Play action passing will leave the defense completely flat footed and playing behind the 8-ball all game. 35+ ppg would not be out of the question. MR would be just fine behind that line!

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by vasteeler View Post
    Looking forward to the Steelers turning things around and making a serious playoff push.
    17-3 ! ! !

Quote Originally Posted by dislocatedday View Post
    I think the front office values and takes seriously the o-line. I also think unfortunately this past 1-2 years was sort of a "perfect storm" of events that wrecked the O-line in quick fashion and left the team scrambling to a large degree to put this year's line together on the fly. DeCastro, Pouncey, and AV all went south in their play at the same time. I'm guessing the team was hopeful DeCastro would get past his ankle injuries and return to form, but that did not happen. I also guess it's fair to say the front office should have been more proactive and prepared as all these guys were into their 30s. Banner's injury also left them thin at tackle, and whether he can be a long term answer at RT is still up in the air.

I expected Dotson to be more dominant this year, so I have to wonder if those "rumors" in the offseason and training camp of him being out of shape and in the doghouse with Tomlin were true. He looks to have taken a step back so far to me, but hopefully he can improve quickly as the season progresses. I'm OK with letting Dan Moore and Kendrick Green to continue to develop. I think they will both be good players.

I think that unless there is a QB they love in the first round next year that they will spend that first round pick on O-line, and maybe bring another free agent as well.
    Nailed it

Dotson went from one of the highest-rated rookie linemen to a guy who looks confused. My guess is that while AV and Pouncey were limited physically, they could still tell Dotson whom to block. Now, Dotson is surrounded by two rookies who don’t know who they are blocking, let alone who he should block.

As far as drafting goes, I stated this in another thread, but it bears iteration:

If the Steelers had the #1 overall pick, I’d take Evan Neal (LT, ‘Bama) in a heartbeat… and take a QB at 33. IMO, there isn’t a clear-cut “top” QB in this draft. I could still take one early… regardless, there is zero chance I pass on Neal.

If the Steelers draft 10-15, I would go for Kenyon Green (OG, Texas A&M)…OR… I would move Kendric Green to RG and draft Tyler Linderbaum (C, Iowa).

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    Dotson went from one of the highest-rated rookie linemen to a guy who looks confused. My guess is that while AV and Pouncey were limited physically, they could still tell Dotson whom to block. Now, Dotson is surrounded by two rookies who don’t know who they are blocking, let alone who he should block.
    This is where the team is seriously missing Munchak's services (recalling with horror DeCastro accidentally knocking Pouncey out of commission for a year on the first offensive series of the season in 2013 thanks largely to the "blocking scheme" put in place by Munchak's immediate predecessor).

Keeping fingers crossed since Fangio is now on the hot seat in Denver...