Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: We want Mason!

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Re: We want Mason!

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Should be 10 days so Ben should not be eligible to play. Friday was when he was tested. Next Monday would be his first eligible day to return.
    The 10 days is just for unvaccinated. As vaccinated, Ben will just have to have 2 negatives 24 hours apart, with his first test on Tuesday.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Should be 10 days so Ben should not be eligible to play. Friday was when he was tested. Next Monday would be his first eligible day to return.
    I believe that vaccinated players (Ben is) do not have a mandatory period they must be out. Only that they return two negative tests more than 24 hours apart. That was why Ben couldn't play on Sunday. The time between his positive test and kickoff did not allow for the return of two negative tests (hypothetically assuming he would immediately test negative). So...based on my poor understanding of the league policies...Ben COULD play this Sunday, assuming he is able to test negative for COVID on say Wednesday and Friday morning.

Same for Minkah...assuming their presentation of COVID resolves on that timeline. It very well may not.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    The 10 days is just for unvaccinated. As vaccinated, Ben will just have to have 2 negatives within 24 hours of each other, with his first test on Tuesday.
    I thought that was it. Nice confirmation on the rules. I only knew part of it.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    Just the one correction, which I made to my post: it's not within 24 hours, but 24 or more hours apart.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    Just the one correction, which I made to my post: it's not within 24 hours, but 24 or more hours apart.
    Either way, tough week of prep for the team.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Once, we were L Legends Array title="oneforthetoe has a reputation beyond repute">

If I remember correctly the last time Ben played a game with no practice time he was pretty good.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    I believe that vaccinated players (Ben is) do not have a mandatory period they must be out. Only that they return two negative tests more than 24 hours apart. That was why Ben couldn't play on Sunday. The time between his positive test and kickoff did not allow for the return of two negative tests (hypothetically assuming he would immediately test negative). So...based on my poor understanding of the league policies...Ben COULD play this Sunday, assuming he is able to test negative for COVID on say Wednesday and Friday morning.

Same for Minkah...assuming their presentation of COVID resolves on that timeline. It very well may not.

- - - Updated - - -

Ahhh. I thought it was 10 no matter what. Somewhat good news then...

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="Edman has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by oneforthetoe View Post
    If I remember correctly the last time Ben played a game with no practice time he was pretty good.
    At the same time, Ben rusts hard and isn't good coming off of any length of time off. Quarterbacks are different. Some are great athletes and good at winging it. Others are cerebral and robotic. Ben runs on adrenaline and made a career flying by his pants. Mason is a computer that falls into the latter. He is a perfectionist to a fault. He has robotic motions, and doesn't move very well.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Edman View Post
    At the same time, Ben rusts hard and isn't good coming off of any length of time off. Quarterbacks are different. Some are great athletes and good at winging it. Others are cerebral and robotic. Ben runs on adrenaline and made a career flying by his pants. Mason is a computer that falls into the latter. He is a perfectionist to a fault. He has robotic motions, and doesn't move very well.
    Which is probably part of the reason his balls sail over the receivers. He’s not moving back in the pocket at all and therefore as it collapses around him, he’s not following through fully. ??

Senior Member Array title="Edman has a reputation beyond repute">

Which is probably part of the reason his balls sail over the receivers. He’s not moving back in the pocket at all and therefore as it collapses around him, he’s not following through fully. ??
    I think it's general lack of movement, lack of arm talent combined with the bad weather. Mason to me has the Benny Snell problem. A player that would be decent in the 1990's but is playing in the 2020's where skills players are demanded a lot more. QB's have to move in the pocket, scramble, as well as accurately gun it downfield. Mason is a pure statue.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

I see those instances where he gets flat footed and not on the balls of his feet, so as he goes thru reads and should move his feet to point in the direction of his intended receiver, his feet at times dont lead. So he ends up adjusting with his torso and throwing with more of his upper body and not stepping in the direction of his throws.

Its kind of like if a baseball pitcher was setup with his feet 15 degrees to the left of home plate and tried to throw a strike. He would use more arm and torso to adjust to where he is throwing and the velocity and accuracy can be inconsistent.

Below is video of the first INT and to me it looks like his feet are setup to the seam and maybe inside the numbers on the field. But when he throws the ball to Ballage, it should have been outside the numbers and he does have somewhat of a rush outside, but he again looks a bit flat footed and doesnt step to his throw. I remember watching the OK State vs Oklahoma game his Senior season and on a late potential game winning series, he did similar and overthrew his receiver in the flat.

Senior Member Array title="Lady Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Lady Steel's Avatar

Oh yay! We get to watch Mason again this week. Primetime, baby! Yippee yippee joy joy!

I'm off work this Sunday night. I may just come into the game day thread so those who called for Mason as our savior can listen to me bitch.

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    I see those instances where he gets flat footed and not on the balls of his feet, so as he goes thru reads and should move his feet to point in the direction of his intended receiver, his feet at times dont lead. So he ends up adjusting with his torso and throwing with more of his upper body and not stepping in the direction of his throws.

Its kind of like if a baseball pitcher was setup with his feet 15 degrees to the left of home plate and tried to throw a strike. He would use more arm and torso to adjust to where he is throwing and the velocity and accuracy can be inconsistent.

Below is video of the first INT and to me it looks like his feet are setup to the seam and maybe inside the numbers on the field. But when he throws the ball to Ballage, it should have been outside the numbers and he does have somewhat of a rush outside, but he again looks a bit flat footed and doesnt step to his throw. I remember watching the OK State vs Oklahoma game his Senior season and on a late potential game winning series, he did similar and overthrew his receiver in the flat.

I’ve noticed that too but haven’t been able to pin point it. As the pocket collapses, he doesn’t move. And you’re right now that you say that…the awkwardness that I see is him just moving his torso and then not following all the way through as there are linemen and defenders within inches of him. People make fun of Ben’s lollipop throws…they look like rocket ships compared to Rudolph’s arm…everything is pretty much launched at the altitude of 42 feet and that’s probably because of mechanics and not lack of arm strength.

Curious if he was released tomorrow…what team would run to pick him up?

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

I think Mason will have a better game this week. He had some bad passes, but the receivers all had their worst game to date & Clay wasn't playing. He's the best we have at this time and I trust he will be a Steeler next year as a starter or backup. Even if they would draft a QB in 22, they still might start MR. The only way I can see MR being a backup is if they bring in a vet. But regardless of what they do the "Game Day Thread" will continue to be the bilge of misery.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

I’ve noticed that too but haven’t been able to pin point it. As the pocket collapses, he doesn’t move. And you’re right now that you say that…the awkwardness that I see is him just moving his torso and then not following all the way through as there are linemen and defenders within inches of him. People make fun of Ben’s lollipop throws…they look like rocket ships compared to Rudolph’s arm…everything is pretty much launched at the altitude of 42 feet and that’s probably because of mechanics and not lack of arm strength.

Curious if he was released tomorrow…what team would run to pick him up?
    Yes, that is what you see. The pocket collapses and Rudolph doesnt always slide in the pocket because he isnt on the balls of his feet and then his feet dont follow his eyes as he goes thru his read progressions.

Ben has always had good footwork. I think him being a kid that played shortstop and some basketball helps with footwork when he started playing QB in college. Ben is old and broken down at this point in the end of his career, but watch when he gets back, how he moves his feet and is lined up with his target when he can step hard in the direction of his throw. Sure he used to have a stronger arm, but he generates velocity with his legs, big time.

Some other team that liked Rudolph in the draft process will pick him up, see if they can work with him and let him compete to be the #2 QB. I think the Steelers should move on and no matter what round, they draft a QB. I would be fine if they picked a guy like Corral, Willis, Howell or Pickett early and then still drafted a QB later like Tanner Morgan from Minnesota.

Has Ben definitely been ruled out?

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

No, I don't think so.

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Ben will most likely play, but that hasn't been determined yet.

he's such a drama queen

Senior Member Array title="Lady Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Lady Steel's Avatar

Senior Member Array title="Hawkman has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteeler View Post
    Ben will most likely play, but that hasn't been determined yet.

he's such a drama queen
    You were just waiting weren’t you.