Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: We want Mason!

Senior Member Array title="stillers4me has a reputation beyond repute"> stillers4me's Avatar

Re: We want Mason!

Quote Originally Posted by Craic View Post
    LMAO. Steelers defense has shown up for one game. Since then, their defense has been about as effective as the Maginot line. They've allowed 77 points in the last three games. Would we have won the last three games with a better defense? Not necessarily, no. But claiming we'd be 2-2 or 3-1 with an average QB is silly.

This team has a lot more problems than just the QB right now.
    ^^^THIS^^^

Senior Member Array title="stillers4me has a reputation beyond repute"> stillers4me's Avatar

I just saw Tom Brady overthrow his receiver.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

The reactions of Steelers players, particularly Juju, tells me all I need to know. These dudes know what’s going on. Combine that with Ben frantically looking around for a WR to blame every play and it’s a clear picture.

It’s not the defense. Don’t get it twisted, the defense has issues. But they’re survivable.

It’s the gaping vortex of suck at the QB position that’s dragging the few parts of the team that do work down with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    The reactions of Steelers players, particularly Juju, tells me all I need to know. These dudes know what’s going on. Combine that with Ben frantically looking around for a WR to blame every play and it’s a clear picture.

It’s not the defense. Don’t get it twisted, the defense has issues. But they’re survivable.

It’s the gaping vortex of suck at the QB position that’s dragging the few parts of the team that do work down with it.
    JuJu just took responsibility for his missed catches.
    And I've never heard Ben blame anyone but himself.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

The two missed TDs to JuJu were glaring, but at least Ben was ATTEMPTING to throw it downfield. I applaud him for that. Really. It’s a step in the right direction.

The play that infuriated me was the 4th-&-four (the first one LOL). Ben has Freiermuth wide open… I mean uncovered right off of the line. I noticed it immediately. If Ben’s going to dump off, THAT is the perfect dump off scenario. Instead, it’s a sideways pass to Najee.

Yes, the defense has not been stellar, but at times, they are a M.A.S.H. unit. Plus, they play fairly well early in the games… but, they simply get tired. At one point, the Steelers offense had run 15 plays to the Packers’s 47 plays.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by stillers4me View Post
    JuJu just took responsibility for his missed catches.
    And I've never heard Ben blame anyone but himself.
    Did you watch the game? It’s all right there to see.

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    The two missed TDs to JuJu were glaring, but at least Ben was ATTEMPTING to throw it downfield. I applaud him for that. Really. It’s a step in the right direction.

The play that infuriated me was the 4th-&-four (the first one LOL). Ben has Freiermuth wide open… I mean uncovered right off of the line. I noticed it immediately. If Ben’s going to dump off, THAT is the perfect dump off scenario. Instead, it’s a sideways pass to Najee.

Yes, the defense has not been stellar, but at times, they are a M.A.S.H. unit. Plus, they play fairly well early in the games… but, they simply get tired. At one point, the Steelers offense had run 15 plays to the Packers’s 47 plays.
    Not to mention the basic crossing and dig routes he sprayed all over the field.

Easy completions were missed that took points of the board and caused punts. Then the defense cracks because they’re on the field a ton.

It’s 2019 all over again.

Yes I watched it. I also am responding to the the post. JuJu absolutely took responsibility for it . He says he catches them in practice and needs to catch them in games. And Ben never blames anyone else. Never has.

Senior Member Array title="Edman has a reputation beyond repute">

Looks like we need another instant replay of the last three weeks before people start to get it.

It’s 2019 all over again.
    Funny you mention that. The 2021 Offense is actually on pace to do even worse than the 2019 Mason/Duck Offense.

Yes I watched it. I also am responding to the the post. JuJu absolutely took responsibility for it . He says he catches them in practice and needs to catch them in games. And Ben never blames anyone else. Never has.
    So you missed the on field and sideline reactions?

To me they looked like a QB trying to dodge blame and a frustrated WR tired of a QB that can’t hit the broad side of a barn.

Quote Originally Posted by Edman View Post
    Looks like we need another instant replay of the last three weeks before people start to get it.

Funny you mention that. The 2021 Offense is actually on pace to do even worse than the 2019 Mason/Duck Offense.
    I don’t doubt it.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Nobody is defending him. But anybody actually thinking we have anybody better needs their head examined.
    We’ve seen Mason play and he is better. Anyone who can complete a pass of longer than 10 yards is better. It’s at an embarrassing level now.

- - - Updated - - -

It’s not about blame at this point. It’s about reality.

- - - Updated - - -

It sure helps emotionally now since I expect them to lose. At this point, we’re playing for a high draft pick. I just hope a blue chip prospect is available.

Banned Array title="Lloydwoodsonjr is a splendid one to behold">

The irony is that if Tomlin gameplanned for Ben like he does for Mason the Steelers would be far more competitive.

Harris was getting yards in chunks: Tomlin killed the run and offense not the Packers.

Ben is playing terribly but is still better than Mason... anyone watch the games?

Design plays for Freirmuth. Use the middle of the field. Stop designing plays to receive the ball behind the LOS.

Why doesn't anyone admit Fichtner was better than Canada?! This is the same Ben as last year when they scored 26 ppg!!! Please admit you are wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    So you missed the on field and sideline reactions?

To me they looked like a QB trying to dodge blame and a frustrated WR tired of a QB that can’t hit the broad side of a barn.
    You saw what you wanted to see.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Clearly, if they had a QB that could make NFL level throws, they would design and call an offense that would include NFL throws. They don’t so I’m not really sure how much of this is on Canada.

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    Clearly, if they had a QB that could make NFL level throws, they would design and call an offense that would include NFL throws. They don’t so I’m not really sure how much of this is on Canada.
    Well said.

You saw what you wanted to see.
    As opposed to what you’re advocating for? Some version of this where 2021 Ben Roethlisberger isn’t one of the 4 worst quarterbacks in the league?

Please, I’d really like to understand it. How do you get that it isn’t poor play by the QB from today’s game?

® Array title="Steeldude "> Steeldude's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Fire Goodell View Post
    Ben is done, how much longer do we have to watch this shit show?
    He has been done for awhile. The rah-rah fans have run out of excuses to protect BR. The issue goes beyond the just QB though.
    Hater = Realist

Senior Member Array title="Steeler-in-west has a reputation beyond repute"> Steeler-in-west's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dissolv View Post
    100% Agree. Rudolph isn't a magic fixit for this team. They need to get better at a LOT of things, that's the problem. Is Ben done? Well, yeah. But would putting in Mason get you more of a chance to win, is the question of the day. It isn't like he is all that mobile, and likely to fit into Canada's scheme.

We all knew that the Steelers are going to play the hand that they were dealt, and that means Ben, at least for a while longer.
    Rudolph can probably complete more downfield passes, get more first down, and bring the time of possession up - and give the defense more of a break

More downfield passes can open up the running game, if we lose next week against Denver I would think a switch is made, maybe under injury…..

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

We are in a stupid situation. We're not going anywhere with Ben and there's nothing to be gained by playing him. We're not going anywhere with Rudolph either, and there's nothing to be gained by playing him. Haskins is the same as blindfolding yourself and throwing a dart at the wall. There just isn't any very good option.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="Steeler-in-west has a reputation beyond repute"> Steeler-in-west's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
    We are in a stupid situation. We're not going anywhere with Ben and there's nothing to be gained by playing him. We're not going anywhere with Rudolph either, and there's nothing to be gained by playing him. Haskins is the same as blindfolding yourself and throwing a dart at the wall. There just isn't any very good option.
    I don’t think it’s a question of “going anywhere” at this point. I think it’s more a question of getting the offense going and trying to win a game.

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Steeler-in-west View Post
    I don’t think it’s a question of “going anywhere” at this point. I think it’s more a question of getting the offense going and trying to win a game.
    Same difference. We just dont have any options on the roster where we can say with confidence, "This guy will give us a decent shot to win." They've all got something really wrong.

Gun to my head, I'd say that unless we're interested in taking a flyer on Haskins and seeing if we get lucky, the beat chance we have at winning some games is still if Ben somehow manages to dig up some semblance of his old self. I don't like those odds either, though.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue has a reputation beyond repute"> JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue's Avatar

Ben is done and we need to see about the others and can't hurt.

Member Array title="buzz998 is a jewel in the rough">

my take on this shit show is one that says the defense gets tired because the offense sputters so much. another part of my take on this is that ben cannot make deep throws accurately, hell he barely makes accurate short throws at this point. more of what i see is a QB who still feels like he has it but doesn't. not only does he feel he still has it, i can assure you he is holding this offense back because they are limiting the playbook because he more than likely refuses to run more of the type of offense that canada wants to run.

where i see benefit at this point is to run mason out there and let him actually attempt to run the playbook that canada is trying to implement. i highly doubt the offense could be much worse than it is right now.

ben doesn't use the whole field simply because he no longer can.

Senior Member Array title="Rotorhead has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by Steelerchad View Post
    Ben needs to do this team a solid and fake an injury. Wish he would have retired, instead we are paying $36M for QB play that is nowhere near NFL caliber play.
    We were paying $36m regardless of if he played or not so . . .

Senior Member Array title="JayC is a glorious beacon of light"> JayC's Avatar

it's painful watching ben try to play qb. thanks to him for everything, 2 super bowls, very few losing seasons and all but it's over. he can try to go somewhere else next year if he wants to keep playing. he should be holding a clipboard the rest of this season while we see if rudolph or haskins are worth keeping for 2022

for me i'd rather see haskins but i'm ok with giving rudolph a couple games first

At some point, the only “good” option is to force feed NFL snaps to whoever needs to be evaluated.

Go into the off season with a solid evaluation period for your roster in 2022+.

Senior Member Array title="Edman has a reputation beyond repute">

Same difference. We just dont have any options on the roster where we can say with confidence, "This guy will give us a decent shot to win." They've all got something really wrong.

Gun to my head, I'd say that unless we're interested in taking a flyer on Haskins and seeing if we get lucky, the beat chance we have at winning some games is still if Ben somehow manages to dig up some semblance of his old self. I don't like those odds either, though.
    The whole "Win now" thing is pretty much over. This team is going 1-16 with Ben under center. That's how bad its become.

The Steelers will have to take a flyer on a QB in 2022 regardless, so plug Mason in and see what he can do. They have nothing to lose. If he sucks too, then it doesn't really make much of a difference. The point is the Steelers need to examine their QB situation and see where the future holds.

The organization will have to make a decision and make it soon.

Senior Member Array title="Rotorhead has a reputation beyond repute">

While he did throw stuff across the middle this game (so that talking point can stop) and even connected on some of them in the 4th, the 2 missed TD to Juju killed us, well the BS call that brought back the TD actually lost this game for us, but at this point we need to see what we else we have at QB.

can’t wait forever for Ben to start playing well. At some point you have to switch to plan B. Rudolph played well in last years finale, I think he deserves a shot and has a chance to be more productive than Ben. It’s Owed to the defense, offense, the whole team to try to get the offense functioning, to remain competitive and to avoid injury, and yeah, to keep the fans interested too

If Rudolph is ineffective then you go with whoever can better run the playbook Dobbs or Haskins