Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: QB2022: Getting it Right

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Re: QB2022: Getting it Right

Quote Originally Posted by Shoes View Post
    I agree, but I think they can find someone better than DJ in the draft. I don't think they've been shopping for that skill set since 2019 and they have been giving Johnson time for the fog to clear.
    Fair. But I don't think they have. I think DJ is their guy...but that could change at any point.

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    Fair. But I don't think they have. I think DJ is their guy...but that could change at any point.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    Depends on QB free agent/ trade market. Who might be available?

- Jimmy G.
    - Cam
    - Dalton
    - Tua
    - Lock
    - Jones
    - Watson
    - Mariotta
    - Goff
    - Ryan
    - ???

Not a lot of appealing names. Might be best to roll with Rudolph compared to those names. That's why I think they go QB in R1.
    I think with the cap space the Steelers will have, they can go with any one of several of those guys on a 2 or 3 year deal and also draft a QB in round 1. Add Jacoby Brissett to that list as well.

The QB crop is going to consist of guys like Howell, Rattler, Slovis, Malik Willis, Carson Strong, that all could end up 1st round grades. If they find a guy that they like, then I can see it happening, but I dont think the Steelers look to throw them into the fire year 1. So I expect a veteran presence, but one that is more of a has been from that list instead of a never-was like Rudolph or Haskins.

What was the Steelers pick this year, #20? I think there is a good chance that they are picking at least #15 or higher in the 2022 draft.

Senior Member Array title="Steeler-in-west has a reputation beyond repute"> Steeler-in-west's Avatar

Ryan took the falcons to the super bowl a few years ago, then again he’s not a scrambler so our line would have to improve if we brought him on

Senior Member Array title="EzraTank has a reputation beyond repute"> EzraTank's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Steeler-in-west View Post
    Ryan took the falcons to the super bowl a few years ago, then again he’s not a scrambler so our line would have to improve if we brought him on
    Look at Goff's draft. He went first, Wentz second and they are both middle of the road QB's at this point. It really is a crap shoot. Both went to a Superbowl and both have since been traded by their drafting teams. Goff lost his SB and Wentz watched Nick Foles win his.

Senior Member Array title="Steeler-in-west has a reputation beyond repute"> Steeler-in-west's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by EzraTank View Post
    Look at Goff's draft. He went first, Wentz second and they are both middle of the road QB's at this point. It really is a crap shoot. Both went to a Superbowl and both have since been traded by their drafting teams. Goff lost his SB and Wentz watched Nick Foles win his.
    Ryan is better than both those guys, for the most part what did he have to work with in Atlanta ? Except for Julio Jones?

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Matt Ryan might be the only non-rookie QB playing worse than Ben right now.

Matt Ryan might be the only non-rookie QB playing worse than Ben right now.
    again, is it the QB or the lack of support making the QB look bad or worse than he is (as in the Steelers case)

Quote Originally Posted by Steeler-in-west View Post
    again, is it the QB or the lack of support making the QB look bad or worse than he is (as in the Steelers case)
    From everything I can tell, it is Ryan being as washed up or more so than Ben.

Arthur Smith was the architect of the Titans offense and Tannehill's resurgence. He is coaching the Falcons now. They have a ton of weapons (Ridley, Pitts, Davis, etc). I mean they can't play defense, but Ryan is struggling to complete passes.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

From everything I can tell, it is Ryan being as washed up or more so than Ben.

Arthur Smith was the architect of the Titans offense and Tannehill's resurgence. He is coaching the Falcons now. They have a ton of weapons (Ridley, Pitts, Davis, etc). I mean they can't play defense, but Ryan is struggling to complete passes.
    Mike Davis is a joke. He’s the RB equivalent of a washed up QB. He’s had double digit touches each week and he’s been one of the more pedestrian starting backs in the league. Hardly a weapon.

The Falcons have had the same issues. Poor O-Line play, receivers not getting open. Losing Jones was huge and after Pitts and Ridley, there’s really nothing there…like nothing. Tajae Sharpe, Christian Blake, Zaccheaus…that’s rough…I think Russell Gage is still there…he’s serviceable.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Mike Davis is a joke. He’s the RB equivalent of a washed up QB. He’s had double digit touches each week and he’s been one of the more pedestrian starting backs in the league. Hardly a weapon.

The Falcons have had the same issues. Poor O-Line play, receivers not getting open. Losing Jones was huge and after Pitts and Ridley, there’s really nothing there…like nothing. Tajae Sharpe, Christian Blake, Zaccheaus…that’s rough…I think Russell Gage is still there…he’s serviceable.
    Smith schemed it up with about that or less in Tennessee. I am not arguing that the Falcons are that great of a roster...but Ryan has enough tools to do more than he is.

Sacked 7 times this season already - almost as much as Ben. Ryan has always had good stats, even when the team as a whole was playing crappy - like last year 4-12, and he still threw 26 td’s against 11 interceptions - there are worse options out there if your looking for a bridge QB. I mean Carr might be better at this stage but who would be available?

I will go out on a limb here. Matt Ryan is done. He’s no different than Ben at this point. He’s cooked.

There are no quick and easy fixes at the QB position. That’s why basically every franchise is always kinda looking for one.

The right Draft pick with Mason Rudolph as the bridge QB is the most likely shortest path to a return to contention.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

I will go out on a limb here. Matt Ryan is done. He’s no different than Ben at this point. He’s cooked.

There are no quick and easy fixes at the QB position. That’s why basically every franchise is always kinda looking for one.

The right Draft pick with Mason Rudolph as the bridge QB is the most likely shortest path to a return to contention.
    That's why they missed when they could have picked up Darnold or Bridgewater for practically nothing and still been able to pay Ben. Both are miles better than Ben at this point. This is a playoff team with either at QB.

Senior Member Array title="EzraTank has a reputation beyond repute"> EzraTank's Avatar

That's why they missed when they could have picked up Darnold or Bridgewater for practically nothing and still been able to pay Ben. Both are miles better than Ben at this point. This is a playoff team with either at QB.
    Playoff team? Maybe but not with our current OL.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by EzraTank View Post
    Playoff team? Maybe but not with our current OL.
    I believe so. Bad QB play makes our OL look even worse. As for the run, who knows when they run 10-12 times a game, most out of the shotgun.

I’ll agree with Darnold. I believe you’ve mentioned that move as early as last season.

Bridgewater is fine. But not sure Rudolph couldn’t do similar. Different styles but similar ceilings.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

The Steelers have scouted the following QBs:

Sam Howell, North Carolina
    Malik Willis, Liberty
    Kenny Pickett, Pitt

Howell was (at one point) the top-rated QB prospect. Willis currently is the top prospect. Pickett is having a great season.

If the Steelers had the #1 overall pick, I’d take Evan Neal (LT, ‘Bama) in a heartbeat… and take a QB at 33. IMO, there isn’t a clear-cut “top” QB in this draft. It still take one early, but there zero chance I pass on Neal.

At 10-15 (which is far more likely than #1), I might go for Kenyon Green (OG, Texas A&M) or move Kendric Green to RG and take Tyler Linderbaum (C, Iowa). That said, very good interior linemen can be had at 45; so, I might go for Matt Corral (QB, Ole Miss) or Carson Strong (QB, Nevada). Decisions, decisions.

® Array title="Steeldude "> Steeldude's Avatar

The Steelers need a quarterback. The past few years have seen many misses and only a few hits. Two stand out: Patrick Mahomes and Justin Herbert.

What was it in their tape or in the draft process that could help identify them as outliers? Because honestly, we need to get this right next year.
    It's a bad year for franchise QBs. I doubt the Steelers will draft a QB in 2022.

Steelers need help in nearly every position.
    Hater = Realist

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Steeldude View Post
    It's a bad year for franchise QBs. I doubt the Steelers will draft a QB in 2022.
    Indeed At this time last season, it looked like a very promising draft class of QBs. Alas, not many of them have really progressed as much as expected… except for Kenny Pickett.

The Steelers are doing their homework by looking at all of the top prospects, but it wouldn’t surprise me if they went with Rudolph and/or Haskins for a year, and then went “all in” on their guy in 2023.

That said, I could just as easily see them drafting a QB in every draft until they “hit” in a good one. My gut keeps telling me that they will draft Pickett (on Day 2).

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    Indeed At this time last season, it looked like a very promising draft class of QBs. Alas, not many of them have really progressed as much as expected… except for Kenny Pickett.

The Steelers are doing their homework by looking at all of the top prospects, but it wouldn’t surprise me if they went with Rudolph and/or Haskins for a year, and then went “all in” on their guy in 2023.

That said, I could just as easily see them drafting a QB in every draft until they “hit” in a good one. My gut keeps telling me that they will draft Pickett (on Day 2).
    This is what I think will happen.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Matt Ryan is looking pretty good today…

Senior Member Array title="ETL has a reputation beyond repute"> ETL's Avatar

DJ if he left the Steelers would be the next Emmanuel Sanders - he will find success.

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    My gut keeps telling me that they will draft Pickett (on Day 2).
    Change this to Day 1.

Senior Member Array title="Edman has a reputation beyond repute">

If Kenny Pickett continues his rise, he may not even be there for the Steelers.

Quote Originally Posted by Edman View Post
    If Kenny Pickett continues his rise, he may not even be there for the Steelers.
    No QB selected in 2022. 2023 will be the QB draft.

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    No QB selected in 2022. 2023 will be the QB draft.
    Sometimes the gem is found outside of the hype. I say they make a run for Rodgers. If that fails, they go through the draft. No way Rodgers will sign under the conditions of the Steelers drafting a QB!

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

Only QB that has my attention is Carson Strong but reports are that he has a knee issue. We'll know about his medicals during or after the combine.

Colbert going to UNC to see Howell is still very telling to me, it's likely I'm reading too much into it but this team identifies a prospect early they want to target, Howell may be that guy, though opinions can change.

Personally, I'm hoping for Rodgers to force himself to Pittsburgh, which will open a 2-3 year window. (Yes, I do truly believe he'll consider Pittsburgh, won't be first option though)
    1. Graham Barton, C, Duke 2. Ricky Pearsall, WR, Florida 3. Maason Smith, DT, LSU 3. Max Melton, CB, Rutgers 4. Blake Fisher, OT, Notre Dame 6. Tommy Eichenberg, ILB, Ohio State 6. MJ Devonshire, CB, Pittsburgh

Quote Originally Posted by BlackAndGold View Post
    Only QB that has my attention is Carson Strong but reports are that he has a knee issue. We'll know about his medicals during or after the combine.

Colbert going to UNC to see Howell is still very telling to me, it's likely I'm reading too much into it but this team identifies a prospect early they want to target, Howell may be that guy, though opinions can change.

Personally, I'm hoping for Rodgers to force himself to Pittsburgh, which will open a 2-3 year window. (Yes, I do truly believe he'll consider Pittsburgh, won't be first option though)
    Who do you think he'd pick first? He loves Tomlin. They have good receivers and a good defense. Hopefully, the OL improves as well. I can't see him picking the garbage heap of Denver over the Steelers.

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

Who do you think he'd pick first? He loves Tomlin. They have good receivers and a good defense. Hopefully, the OL improves as well. I can't see him picking the garbage heap of Denver over the Steelers.
    His love of the 49ers is well known, but I agree he'll consider the Steelers due to things you mentioned. This team currently constructed, is similar to the Bucs before Brady joined.
    1. Graham Barton, C, Duke 2. Ricky Pearsall, WR, Florida 3. Maason Smith, DT, LSU 3. Max Melton, CB, Rutgers 4. Blake Fisher, OT, Notre Dame 6. Tommy Eichenberg, ILB, Ohio State 6. MJ Devonshire, CB, Pittsburgh