Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: This is not a good team, period

Senior Member Array title="EzraTank has a reputation beyond repute"> EzraTank's Avatar

Re: This is not a good team, period

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    Ben didn’t have a pass between the hash marks that traveled more than 10 yards. Not one. Ben will throw it deep (occasionally), but not to the middle of the field.

That’s a problem.

It also explains why those aforementioned throws to Claypool veered toward the outside (instead of inside).
    Yep and if you watched Mahomes, Jackson and Carr yesterday they all threw long TD's down the middle of the field. As much as I love watching Steelers football I cannot wait for this season to be over and Ben retire.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by cubanstogie View Post
    watching Harbough lead his team to win makes me more irritated Tomlin punts with 4th and 1 needing 2 scores. I believe only one time out as well. Piss poor decisions
    Yep, 4th and 1 last night and he knew he didn't want to give Mahomes ANY chance so why not give it to your best RB in Jackson to get one yard. At least he had the guts to do that.

Ravens Fan Extraordinaire Array title="Crow-Magnon has a reputation beyond repute"> Crow-Magnon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by EzraTank View Post
    Yep and if you watched Mahomes, Jackson and Carr yesterday they all threw long TD's down the middle of the field. As much as I love watching Steelers football I cannot wait for this season to be over and Ben retire.

- - - Updated - - -

Yep, 4th and 1 last night and he knew he didn't want to give Mahomes ANY chance so why not give it to your best RB in Jackson to get one yard. At least he had the guts to do that.
    That’s true. It’s also true that had Jackson been stopped and the Chiefs only had to gain 20 yards or less to kick a FG and put it away, many would be calling Harbaugh an idiot for going for it. It’s the nature of the beast.

Junior Member Array title="TRASHMAN is a jewel in the rough">

I would argue our O-line is and lack of a running game way more an issue than Ben Roethlisberger. Ben might not have as much zip on the ball, but he's constantly faced with a defense that knows our rushing attack is never a threat. That's a one-dimensional offense, with poor pass protection, and our receivers don't look open.

I think the Steelers only chance is to open up the pass to open up the run. Freiermuth and Claypool are good enough to keep the defensive guessing. I'd rather see Ben fall on his face making those passes than obscuring his aptitude so we can fully assess our future at the position.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TRASHMAN View Post
    I would argue our O-line is and lack of a running game way more an issue than Ben Roethlisberger. Ben might not have as much zip on the ball, but he's constantly faced with a defense that knows our rushing attack is never a threat. That's a one-dimensional offense, with poor pass protection, and our receivers don't look open.

I think the Steelers only chance is to open up the pass to open up the run. Freiermuth and Claypool are good enough to keep the defensive guessing. I'd rather see Ben fall on his face making those passes than obscuring his aptitude so we can fully assess our future at the position.
    Roethlisberger is throwing down field. He’s just terribly inaccurate. That’s at the very least more than they did last season. Last season they didn’t attempt to do it. Lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="Steelerchad is a jewel in the rough">

This is not a good team with the injuries they have on defense. You could see the team go from getting pressure in the first quarter to almost none, exposing the weakness of the defense, which is the back end. We were down 5 of our best 7 defenders by the 2nd quarter. Not many teams can hold up under those circumstances. We just need the offense to be average if the defense is healthy, but they have not been able to do that yet.

Senior Member Array title="Edman has a reputation beyond repute">

Ben actually is throwing downfield.

If by "throwing downfield" you mean heaving up moonballs that hope to be caught then sure. Ben is "throwing downfield".

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    See... you just said it again!
    Yup, he just did.

Cant make this stuff up. Look to trade away the guy that should have been DPOY last season, because future 1st round draft picks always pay off. Its almost as absurd as Benny Snell being some kind of chain moving RB.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Other teams with leaky offensive lines and terrible running games are moving the ball and scoring points on offense. Carr and the Raiders have done it two weeks in a row. Tampa and KC are only averaging 10 more yards per game than the Steelers and they have zero problems moving the ball and scoring points.

The Steelers rank middle of the pack in sacks allowed per game so far: https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/sta...acked-per-game

So the narrative that it is totally the offensive line and the lack of a run game that holds the offense back just needs to stop. There are several teams out there scoring points with porous offensive lines and sketchy running games. But they all have accurate, confident QBs that make plays to all areas of the field.

The OC, the OL, the RB, the (lack of) TE, the playcalling, and the phases of the moon have all been used to dance around the one constant issue -- the QB that doesn't make quality NFL throws anymore.

Can we just stop making excuses and alternate explanations? Ben Roethlisberger is not a good NFL QB anymore. If I was in charge of the team, he would get two-three more games to see if he can round his game into shape. Then I would play Rudolph.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

This is not a good team, period

Quote Originally Posted by Edman View Post
    Ben actually is throwing downfield.

If by "throwing downfield" you mean heaving up moonballs that hope to be caught then sure. Ben is "throwing downfield".
    Which is, pathetically, more than they attempted last season. Lol.

Senior Member Array title="dislocatedday has a reputation beyond repute"> dislocatedday's Avatar

I posted the below in the Week 2 Gameballs and Goats thread, but it seems more appropriate here as this is a more general "issues with the Steelers" thread.......

Even if I go back to the first few games last season where the offense and Ben seemed OK at the time, I seem to remember even then that the offense was predicated on the quick short passes that got the ball out of Ben's hand quickly. There were a few longer throws to Claypool and DJ running straight down the sideline mixed in but that seemed to be it based on my memory of those games. The limited options were likely there even then, but it took a few games and film watching before teams realized exactly what was happening, and then teams crowded the first 10 yards from the line of scrimmage and brought both safeties way down and counteracted the short passing game............and things went downhill quickly for the Steelers offense then and have remained that way ever since.

Senior Member Array title="dislocatedday has a reputation beyond repute"> dislocatedday's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    Other teams with leaky offensive lines and terrible running games are moving the ball and scoring points on offense. Carr and the Raiders have done it two weeks in a row. Tampa and KC are only averaging 10 more yards per game than the Steelers and they have zero problems moving the ball and scoring points.

The Steelers rank middle of the pack in sacks allowed per game so far: https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/sta...acked-per-game

So the narrative that it is totally the offensive line and the lack of a run game that holds the offense back just needs to stop. There are several teams out there scoring points with porous offensive lines and sketchy running games. But they all have accurate, confident QBs that make plays to all areas of the field.

The OC, the OL, the RB, the (lack of) TE, the playcalling, and the phases of the moon have all been used to dance around the one constant issue -- the QB that doesn't make quality NFL throws anymore.

Can we just stop making excuses and alternate explanations? Ben Roethlisberger is not a good NFL QB anymore. If I was in charge of the team, he would get two-three more games to see if he can round his game into shape. Then I would play Rudolph.
    I spent the last two previous seasons looking for explanations for the declining offensive play, and also always scrutinized the OC (Fichtner), the OL, the group of RBs, etc., for the lack of offensive production. I rarely thought or indicated Ben was heavily contributing to those problems. It pains me to say that he is a shell of his former self because he is a legend, and has given his all to the Steelers. I appreciate how lucky we as Steelers fans have been to have Ben play QB for so long at a high level...........but he has not shown those elite traits in quite awhile now. The offense so far looks exactly like it did last year under Fichtner. I personally can't keep saying it is everything else but Ben any longer. His passes just are nowhere near as precise/accurate, or have the same velocity, as they did even 3 years ago prior to his elbow injury. His mind and ego may want to play QB at an elite level...........but his body/arm do not appear to be able to physically do it anymore.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Maybe Ben can run 2 no-huddle shotgun plays for every pass he complete between the hashes over 3 yards down field?

Quote Originally Posted by Edman View Post
    Do you know what the exact question was that was posed to Ben to elicit that response? It does read like Ben is blaming Matt Canada for the struggles yesterday, but this could also be the case of the media taking a portion of his response out of context as well.

Totally out of context. He said multiple times that he needs to ply better. The long abs short of the question was asking why they were in shot gun with 3 WR, TE and RB and why they are relying on that personnel grouping. Then he responded with that answer in that article.

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Totally out of context. He said multiple times that he needs to ply better. The long abs short of the question was asking why they were in shot gun with 3 WR, TE and RB and why they are relying on that personnel grouping. Then he responded with that answer in that article.
    Thanks. I figured that was likely the case.

Senior Member Array title="RunNGun has a reputation beyond repute"> RunNGun's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    Yup, he just did.

Cant make this stuff up. Look to trade away the guy that should have been DPOY last season, because future 1st round draft picks always pay off. Its almost as absurd as Benny Snell being some kind of chain moving RB.
    You realize I posted that thread before Watt signed his deal? Hypothetically, there was still a chance the deal didn't get done. It wasn't ridiculous to bring that up for discussion by any means.

Member Array title="jens.karlsson.14 is an unknown quantity at this point">

On topic : no it is not, defense can be elite, offence has parts that are good. Needs time. Needs a new qb. Needs to stay healthy.
    On the bright side - Colbert don't need to trade up to pick the qb he wants

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Fire Goodell View Post
    Fryermouth was good, he needs to get more involved
    5 targets
    5 catches

Plus, he’s the perfect ointment to cure the “deep middle” problem.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Crow-Magnon View Post
    That’s true. It’s also true that had Jackson been stopped and the Chiefs only had to gain 20 yards or less to kick a FG and put it away, many would be calling Harbaugh an idiot for going for it. It’s the nature of the beast.
    Ravens fans were livid at him because he had gone for two two-point conversions (instead of kicking the extra points). In turn, the Ravens were only up by 1 point (instead of 3) when Mahomes was driving for the go-ahead/game-winning FG. As a result, many were lambasting Harbaugh: “If we kicked had those two extra points, this would be a game-tying FG drive; now we are going to lose… thanks a lot, Harbaugh.”

Clyde Edwards-Byner saved the day.

Ravens Fan Extraordinaire Array title="Crow-Magnon has a reputation beyond repute"> Crow-Magnon's Avatar

Ravens fans were livid at him because he had gone for two two-point conversions (instead of kicking the extra points). In turn, the Ravens were only up by 1 point (instead of 3) when Mahomes was driving for the go-ahead/game-winning FG. As a result, many were lambasting Harbaugh: “If we kicked had those two extra points, this would be a game-tying FG drive; now we are going to lose… thanks a lot, Harbaugh.”

Clyde Edwards-Byner saved the day.
    Well, Oweh saved the day. Which is kinda funny, as he was drafted with the pick Baltimore got from KC via the Orlando Brown trade. So what does Oweh do? Forces Mahomes to toss his first-ever INT in September, punches out the ball from Edwards-Byner and recovers the fumble. Not a bad start for a rookie labeled as a project.

Me? I had zero issues with going for 2. My opinion is, when up against Mahomes and Company, score as many points as humanly possible.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RunNGun View Post
    You realize I posted that thread before Watt signed his deal? Hypothetically, there was still a chance the deal didn't get done. It wasn't ridiculous to bring that up for discussion by any means.
    I bet a lot of posters on this board think it was.

Some might say it was possibly the biggest knee-jerk reaction in the history of knee-jerk reactions on this message board.

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

5 targets
    5 catches

I agree.

Frierheath should get more targets.

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tube517 View Post
    I agree.

I don't think the Steelers know how to use a TE. Hopefully its just blocking experience time.

5 targets
    5 catches

I'd like to see Freiermuth more involved in the passing game. He reminds me so far of TJ Hockenson. Muth has shown that he can in fact block, has tremendous hands and concentration when catching the ball, and is a good athlete. He may not be as fast as TEs like Kelce, Waller, and Kittle, but he is fast enough and seems to have no significant weaknesses in his game.

I admit I wanted an OL drafted in the 2nd round, but long term I think Freiermuth is going to prove to be the right pick at the time for the Steelers, and he may even make other teams regret passing on him.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Canada seriously needs to prove something against the Bengals. Tomlin has a real deficiency in hiring coordinators. The only good one he ever had was inherited.

https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2021/9...er-matt-canada

Examples of recent plays that don't work because of QB play not other things.

Your individual agreement may vary.

As long as Ben remains under center, it's going to be an uphill climb every week.

Senior Member Array title="that1guy is a splendid one to behold">

The NFL should set up a worst-in-the-afc match up with the Jets.

Senior Member Array title="stillers4me has a reputation beyond repute"> stillers4me's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tube517 View Post
    I agree.

Frierheath.