Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: This is not a good team, period

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Re: This is not a good team, period

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    They also went 11-0 with pretty much the same shitty offense last season and only a few complained about it (me being one).
    You weren’t alone. I’ve been saying the offense was DOA since sometime last season.

I was told I didn’t know enough. And that a rookie RB and TE would put the team to another level.

It’s a smoke and mirrors offense and has been since the Ravens exposed Ben as a dink and dunk QB.

Senior Member Array title="Rotorhead has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by Blast Furnace View Post
    For crying out loud, our offense goes against our D every damn day! Is the D told to hold back so they make the O feel good about themselves? Whatever happened to iron sharpens iron. There is no better way for the Oline to get better than going against our very own dline! Are they just walking through practice or are they actually getting after it?
    Um, maybe because they didn’t even have a full week of practice together before the first game? They have maybe had 10 practices together this year so far, they need time.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    You weren’t alone. I’ve been saying the offense was DOA since sometime last season.

I was told I didn’t know enough. And that a rookie RB and TE would put the team to another level.

It’s a smoke and mirrors offense and has been since the Ravens exposed Ben as a dink and dunk QB.
    I would argue that it goes further back then that. Everything really went down hill at that Ravens game but the writing was on the wall well before that game.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

I would argue that it goes further back then that. Everything really went down hill at that Ravens game but the writing was on the wall well before that game.
    Sure. It’s been hocus pocus and wishes for two seasons now. But the wheels came off at that Ravens game.

And they changed out the OL, the coordinator, the line coach, the RB, and the TE.

And it is still bad. Only really one other place to look.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Sure. It’s been hocus pocus and wishes for two seasons now. But the wheels came off at that Ravens game.

And they changed out the OL, the coordinator, the line coach, the RB, and the TE.

And it is still bad. Only really one other place to look.
    I mean they had other QBs in the game when Ben was injured and the play calling was exactly the same. I’m not even talking about execution, it’s been the same crappy uncreative plays. Even with a guy like Ryan Tannehill or say another “middle of the road QB”, I’m not convinced the result would be any better.

Senior Member Array title="Edman has a reputation beyond repute">

I'd go back to 2018 where the Offense ran into problems. Antonio Brown's talent masked the issues on Offense before being run out of town. Ben led the league in interceptions but fans were too busy gushing over him throwing for 5000 yards as the Steelers collapsed and missed the playoffs. Then 2019 rolled around, Ben playing like shit against New England and Seattle before getting hurt and fans just blamed Mason Rudolph and Duck Hodges for the offensive woes. 2020 speaks for itself, and 2021 is more of the same.

The Offensive collapse wasn't overnight. It was years of a rotting foundation finally exposing itself.

Quote Originally Posted by Edman View Post
    I'd go back to 2018 where the Offense ran into problems. Antonio Brown's talent masked the issues on Offense before being run out of town. Ben led the league in interceptions but fans were too busy gushing over him throwing for 5000 yards as the Steelers missed the playoffs. Then 2019 rolled around, Ben playing like trash against New England and Seattle before getting hurt and fans just blamed Mason Rudolph and Duck Hodges for the offensive woes.

The Offensive collapse wasn't overnight. It was years of rot.
    Agree. With or without Ben, it’s rotting away.

I mean they had other QBs in the game when Ben was injured and the play calling was exactly the same. I’m not even talking about execution, it’s been the same crappy uncreative plays. Even with a guy like Ryan Tannehill or say another “middle of the road QB”, I’m not convinced the result would be any better.
    I didn’t watch a single preseason snap. But I read that the offense did many of the promised things when Rudolph and Haskins were playing.

It’s the same crappy plays because that’s all the QB has left in the bag.

I think Matt Canada's offense can work to an extent, but there needs to be a change at Quarterback. Ben can see the field and he can diagnose the defense and see things, but it doesn't take away from the glaring observation that his ability to perform is gone. Father Time is undefeated for a reason. Ben can see what the Defense is doing, but he cannot get the ball downfield. The Bengals will do exactly what the Raiders and Bills have done.

If things do not improve around Week 6-7 and Ben continues his meltdown, I can see the Steelers finally slapping the "injured" tag on him and making a change at QB. One thing the Steelers definitely won't do is tank.

I think Matt Canada's offense can work to an extent, but there needs to be a change at Quarterback. Ben can see the field and he can diagnose the defense and see things, but it doesn't take away from the glaring observation that his ability to perform is gone. Father Time is undefeated for a reason. Ben can see what the Defense is doing, but he cannot get the ball downfield. The Bengals will do exactly what the Raiders and Bills have done.

If things do not improve around Week 6-7 and Ben continues his meltdown, I can see the Steelers finally slapping the "injured" tag on him and making a change at QB. One thing the Steelers definitely won't do is tank.
    Week 7 is the bye week. There’s the spot for a face saving “injury”.

Senior Member Array title="that1guy is a splendid one to behold">

The won't tank but it may be more beneficial if they did. The teams who are successful in this era are those who hit the reset button on their QBs recently.

Senior Member Array title="EzraTank has a reputation beyond repute"> EzraTank's Avatar

I know it's not Steelers talk but Jesus Mahomes and Kelce are disgusting. They just hooked up for a 46 TD, in Baltimore against their defense, but Kelce did about 36 yards of it with his legs. No one, barring injuries, in the AFC is beating them.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

No Tuitt.
    No Haden.
    No Bush.
    No Alualu (not getting him back).
    No Watt (he’s kind of good).

Three deep passes to Claypool. All three were thrown to the wrong side of Claypool… allowing Hayward to bat two of them away. All three were a yard to the inside of being TDs. 21 points would have made a huge difference.

It’s not just Ben. Ebron dropped the opening third down pass. DJ ran the wrong route four different times (several on third down); one resulted in an INT (and a FG). Those are drive killers.

Carr was stopped short of the first down; he tried to lunge forward for the first down… and got popped. He was a RUNNER!!! Yet, instead of a punt from midfield, it became 15 yards and a first down in FG range.

SUMMATION:
    I’m not happy, but I’m also not too worried.

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    No Tuitt.
    No Haden.
    No Bush.
    No Alualu (not getting him back).
    No Watt (he’s kind of good).

Three deep passes to Claypool. All three were thrown to the wrong side of Claypool… allowing Hayward to bat two of them away. All three were a yard to the inside of being TDs. 21 points would have made a huge difference.

It’s not just Ben. Ebron dropped the opening third down pass. DJ ran the wrong route four different times (several on third down); one resulted in an INT (and a FG). Those are drive killers.

Carr was stopped short of the first down; he tried to lunge forward for the first down… and got popped. He was a RUNNER!!! Yet, instead of a punt from midfield, it became 15 yards and a first down in FG range.

SUMMATION:
    I’m not happy, but I’m also not too worried.
    You’re almost talking me into joining you in optimism after I vented across multiple threads.

It’s the thrown to the wrong side stuff I can’t shake.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

You’re almost talking me into joining you in optimism after I vented across multiple threads.

It’s the thrown to the wrong side stuff I can’t shake.
    Or, think of it this way. 8 times out of 10, Claypool comes down with those contested balls. Hayward is simply reeeally good.

Ben didn’t have a pass between the hash marks that traveled more than 10 yards. Not one. Ben will throw it deep (occasionally), but not to the middle of the field.

That’s a problem.

It also explains why those aforementioned throws to Claypool veered toward the outside (instead of inside).

Ben didn’t have a pass between the hash marks that traveled more than 10 yards. Not one. Ben will throw it deep (occasionally), but not to the middle of the field.

That’s a problem.

It also explains why those aforementioned throws to Claypool veered toward the outside (instead of inside).
    Woof. That’s not good.

You’re moving me away from optimism.

Start with the positive vibes again.

Woof. That’s not good.

You’re moving me away from optimism.

Start with the positive vibes again.
    Two words: Pat Freiermuth

Senior Member Array title="that1guy is a splendid one to behold">

Watching teams like KC and Baltimore make me long for a post Tomlin/Ben era

Senior Member Array title="EzraTank has a reputation beyond repute"> EzraTank's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by EzraTank View Post
    I know it's not Steelers talk but Jesus Mahomes and Kelce are disgusting. They just hooked up for a 46 TD, in Baltimore against their defense, but Kelce did about 36 yards of it with his legs. No one, barring injuries, in the AFC is beating them.
    And of course after I post this the Chiefs RB fumbles on the game winning drive.

After watching Mahomes and Jackson it is obvious we need a QB under 30 years old to compete.

Senior Member Array title="cubanstogie has a reputation beyond repute"> cubanstogie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by that1guy View Post
    Watching teams like KC and Baltimore make me long for a post Tomlin/Ben era
    watching Harbough lead his team to win makes me more irritated Tomlin punts with 4th and 1 needing 2 scores. I believe only one time out as well. Piss poor decisions

Quote Originally Posted by cubanstogie View Post
    watching Harbough lead his team to win makes me more irritated Tomlin punts with 4th and 1 needing 2 scores. I believe only one time out as well. Piss poor decisions
    Harbaugh has a much better and capable quarterback than Tomlin does. You only go as far as your quarterback is capable of going.

Ben is EXTREMELY limited at this stage of his career.

Senior Member Array title="cubanstogie has a reputation beyond repute"> cubanstogie's Avatar

Harbaugh has a much better and capable quarterback than Tomlin does. You only go as far as your quarterback is capable of going.

Ben is EXTREMELY limited at this stage of his career.
    You have to go down trying, IMO no situational awareness. Just not enough time for 2 scores. It was one yard. outcome would’ve been same more than likely . Holding a team to 2 three and outs much tougher than gaining a yard.

Senior Member Array title="Steeler-in-west has a reputation beyond repute"> Steeler-in-west's Avatar

When healthy this is a team with a great defense, very solid receiving corps (Juju, Claypool, PF, JW-when given a chance, DJ - ok he’s missing some routes, it’s the second game and he’s very talented - he’ll get it), arguably the top RB in the draft and young up and coming o Line, we just have an aging QB way past his prime. With the way Ben has played throughout his career taking shots, getting hurt, few of us probably thought he would still be in the league at age 39.

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

Two words: Pat Freiermuth
    Fryermouth was good, he needs to get more involved

Senior Member Array title="Rotorhead has a reputation beyond repute">

While this loss sucks, I never thought we would be better than 3-3 at the bye. I still think that will be the case. After the bye, everything will depend on the OL at that point. If it is opening up running lanes and we have mostly dodged the injury bug, then I think we can make a run at the AFCN, if not then the only good will be the experience our OL gets and hoping we can either draft our next QB or trade for our next QB.

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rotorhead View Post
    While this loss sucks, I never thought we would be better than 3-3 at the bye. I still think that will be the case. After the bye, everything will depend on the OL at that point. If it is opening up running lanes and we have mostly dodged the injury bug, then I think we can make a run at the AFCN, if not then the only good will be the experience our OL gets and hoping we can either draft our next QB or trade for our next QB.
    At this point I'm looking at this as a transitional year. Ben pretty much is proving right now that he's the same QB that led the collapse late last season, and I'm not too optimistic that he will all of a sudden improve. I'll be happy with a 9-8 season but I don't think we can take the AFCN. The Ravens and Browns are clearly better teams.

I didn’t watch a single preseason snap. But I read that the offense did many of the promised things when Rudolph and Haskins were playing.

It’s the same crappy plays because that’s all the QB has left in the bag.
    I’m talking about over the past several years. It’s been the same garbage whether Dobbs, Rudolph, Duck, Ben, Haskins. It’s all the same shit they trot out there.

I’m talking about over the past several years. It’s been the same garbage whether Dobbs, Rudolph, Duck, Ben, Haskins. It’s all the same shit they trot out there.
    New OC. New evaluation.

From what I heard, the preseason demonstrated that they can run different stuff. Now Ben is playing and they don’t. Leaves a fairly obvious conclusion.

This is not a good team, period

New OC. New evaluation.

From what I heard, the preseason demonstrated that they can run different stuff. Now Ben is playing and they don’t. Leaves a fairly obvious conclusion.
    There wasn’t that much different. I watched every preseason game and it wasn’t much different than what we see on a weekly basis. Sure there were new wrinkles as the players have different playing styles and that’s the time to try new things. The base offense…exactly the same. Last time the playbook changes was when Haley left.

A shitty playbook combined with a declining QB, two shitty backups and crappy O-Line is where this team is right now.