Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: This is not a good team, period

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

This is not a good team, period

They were lucky to win last week, with Allen missing a wide-open TD and us getting a ST TD.

This week, well, more of the same old shit without the lucky stuff going our way. The defense keeping them in games was the hope for this season, but already we lost Alualu and Watt for who knows how long

Ben can't complete an intermediate pass to save his life, they're either heaves downfield, WR screens, or checkdowns

O-line can't open running lanes against a team who allowed an undrafted rookie to run all over them last week

It's gonna be a long season, IMO Ben doesn't have it anymore, this is his last season as a Steeler

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Re: This is not a good team, period

Better QB play and this would be a pretty good team. Hard to keep running lanes open when the other team puts like 119 guys in the box because they just laugh at your QB's ability to make plays downfield.

We saw this movie how many times last year? 8 or so? Until defenses are burned by just totally disrespecting the capabilities of the Steelers QB...then the offense won't do diddly squat. You could have a HOF offensive line out there and it wouldn't matter.

Senior Member Array title="EzraTank has a reputation beyond repute"> EzraTank's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    Better QB play and this would be a pretty good team. Hard to keep running lanes open when the other team puts like 119 guys in the box because they just laugh at your QB's ability to make plays downfield.

We saw this movie how many times last year? 8 or so? Until defenses are burned by just totally disrespecting the capabilities of the Steelers QB...then the offense won't do diddly squat. You could have a HOF offensive line out there and it wouldn't matter.
    Yep. I hope Rodgers quits on the Packers and tanks so we can sign him cheap as a bridge to our next QB. As bad as this team is a decent NFL QB with these 3 receivers would be lighting it up.

Senior Member Array title="Edman has a reputation beyond repute">

Ben seriously needs to be considered for benching, or this team is staring at 7-10. He is awful.

We can't keep waiting for the offense to do shit. Especially with the Defense as diminished as it is without Watt.

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by EzraTank View Post
    Yep. I hope Rodgers quits on the Packers and tanks so we can sign him cheap as a bridge to our next QB. As bad as this team is a decent NFL QB with these 3 receivers would be lighting it up.
    I'd rather us go to the draft for a QB. I don't want a new old QB, Rodgers is gonna be 38 next year

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

and there aren't many true fan's these days either. Period.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

The missed opportunity and it was one of the few times I think that cap $$$ bit them in the ass, was NOT trading for Darnold.

Can anyone honestly say they wouldn't rather have a a QB room of Darnold, Rudolph, and Haskins now?

Senior Member Array title="Edman has a reputation beyond repute">

Ben's throwing repitoire are checkdowns, underneath throws, swing passeses to Najee Harris, or just heaving balloons downfield and just hoping someone comes down with it. That is not sustainable under any circumstances. No matter who the Steelers face.

Senior Member Array title="that1guy is a splendid one to behold">

Ben isn't capable of making the intermediate throws, couple that with the fact he is immobile and that doesn't inspire confidence. The Steelers have skilled position player at RB,WR and TE but when the QB has a max range of 5 yards that allows defenses to crowd the line. NFL teams will catch on (if they already haven't) and make life even more miserable for the anemic offense.

Quote Originally Posted by Shoes View Post
    and there aren't very many true fan's these days either. Period.
    Critiquing the team makes you not a real fan? Ok yeah everything is great and this game & ben's play is nothing to worry about at all. We're winning 20 super bowls and he's going to play at a high level until age 60

Wasn't there an old baseball guy that said it was better to get rid of a player a year too early than a year too late?

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Fire Goodell View Post
    Critiquing the team makes you not a real fan? Ok yeah everything is great and this game & ben's play is nothing to worry about at all. We're winning 20 super bowls and he's going to play at a high level until age 60
    You don't know what a bad team looks like.

The missed opportunity and it was one of the few times I think that cap $$$ bit them in the ass, was NOT trading for Darnold.

Can anyone honestly say they wouldn't rather have a a QB room of Darnold, Rudolph, and Haskins now?
    I'm not sold on Darnold and not sure I ever would be. I wouldn't have minded making a play for Winston. Yeah I know he was a turnover machine a couple years ago but for the most part he's been above average and still young. Thing about Winston over Darnold is he's shown the ability to be a playmaker, haven't really seen that out of Darnold yet

- - - Updated - - -

You don't know what a bad team looks like.
    Yeah the one I just watched looked pretty bad

I'm not sold on Darnold and not sure I ever would be. I wouldn't have minded making a play for Winston. Yeah I know he was a turnover machine a couple years ago but for the most part he's been above average and still young.

- - - Updated - - -

Well you missed the Steelers in the 60's

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Darnold? Lol. I’ll pass. I’ll take the extra one or two losses and stick with the QB room they have now. Draft pick will be better.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Well you missed the Steelers in the 60's
    Wasn't born yet. Saw a few losing seasons under Cowher that were pretty terible

I'm not sold on Darnold and not sure I ever would be. I wouldn't have minded making a play for Winston. Yeah I know he was a turnover machine a couple years ago but for the most part he's been above average and still young. Thing about Winston over Darnold is he's shown the ability to be a playmaker, haven't really seen that out of Darnold yet

- - - Updated - - -

It isn't so much that I am "sold" on Darnold. It was that he was available for a relatively low cost and has looked somewhat effective in two games. The Steelers are paying a pretty high cost (both in cap space and opportunity cost) for highly ineffective play at the QB position.

Perhaps almost two decades of vintage Ben has skewed my expectations and I am putting too much on the QB...but I feel like I am trying my best to judge what I am seeing not what I want to see and Ben sucks. A lot.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Darnold? Lol. I’ll pass. I’ll take the extra one or two losses and stick with the QB room they have now. Draft pick will be better.
    In the long run...absolutely right.

But Haden, Heyward, Alualu, Ingram aren't getting any younger. Defense is ready to win a SB right the hell now.

And, right the hell now, Darnold is a superior option to Ben.

Senior Member Array title="RunNGun has a reputation beyond repute"> RunNGun's Avatar

The WRs are average. I've said it before and I stand by it. We have 3 WRs that would all be 2 or 3's on every other team. I'm tired of people claiming we have a very talented group of WRs. Not one of them is talented enough to be a true #1.

Ben is toast. Ben was toast last season. Some people thought he could magically turn back the clock. No more excuses for Ben. He's been the same guy the last 10 games he's been on the field.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

It isn't so much that I am "sold" on Darnold. It was that he was available for a relatively low cost and has looked somewhat effective in two games. The Steelers are paying a pretty high cost (both in cap space and opportunity cost) for highly ineffective play at the QB position.

Perhaps almost two decades of vintage Ben has skewed my expectations and I am putting too much on the QB...but I feel like I am trying my best to judge what I am seeing not what I want to see and Ben sucks. A lot.

- - - Updated - - -

In the long run...absolutely right.

But Haden, Heyward, Alualu, Ingram aren't getting any younger. Defense is ready to win a SB right the hell now.

And, right the hell now, Darnold is a superior option to Ben.
    Darnold isn’t superior enough to take this team to the Super Bowl though.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

I think the next Pittsburgh SB will be won by a QB that isn't a steeler yet.

I don't really think so either. But I spent ALL off-season listening to how Ben/Qb wasn't gonna have to do much. That the TE and the RB would solve the offenses woes and they could just ride the back of the defense to a SB appearance.

If some version of that is still the plan (a plan?), I would bet more money on Darnold then Ben.

raising him properly Array title="vasteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> vasteeler's Avatar

Eh... It's still early.

"Zeds dead baby, Zeds dead." - Butch

Banned Array title="Lloydwoodsonjr is a splendid one to behold">

I'd rather us go to the draft for a QB. I don't want a new old QB, Rodgers is gonna be 38 next year
    Broncos had success with Peyton; Bucs with Brady; Cards with Palmer etc.

I'm pretty sure the Steelers signing a two year deal with Rodgers would be a good choice. Most other QBs actually train in the offseason.

Rodgers will never be a Steeler. He would easily win 13 games with this team though.

Senior Member Array title="HollywoodSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> HollywoodSteel's Avatar

I don't really think so either. But I spent ALL off-season listening to how Ben/Qb wasn't gonna have to do much. That the TE and the RB would solve the offenses woes and they could just ride the back of the defense to a SB appearance.

If some version of that is still the plan (a plan?), I would bet more money on Darnold then Ben.
    You think this is a Super Bowl with Darnold? You think Darnold wins this game with all the injuries on defense?

Ben was not our biggest problem today, he’s just not a miracle solution anymore.

There were no solutions that we could have reached for to be more of a Super Bowl contender this year short of trading for Aaron Rodgers. Riding with Ben and hoping he could play like he did at the start of last season was not unreasonable. And yes, with a healthy D, and if we could muster a running game with a super talented rookie RB, that was indeed the best plan possible to be potential contenders.

It was either gonna work or not, but it was the best of all plans.

Hell, we might have won this game if had a healthy defense. We almost always generate turn overs with our real defense. The whole game might have been different. Ben wasn’t awful. He just wasn’t the Ben we used to know.

Quote Originally Posted by HollywoodSteel View Post
    You think this is a Super Bowl with Darnold? You think Darnold wins this game with all the injuries on defense?

Ben was not our biggest problem today, he’s just not a miracle solution anymore.

There were no solutions that we could have reached for to be more of a Super Bowl contender this year short of trading for Aaron Rodgers. Riding with Ben and hoping he could play like he did at the start of last season was not unreasonable. And yes, with a healthy D, and if we could muster a running game with a super talented rookie RB, that was indeed the best plan possible to be potential contenders.

It was either gonna work or not, but it was the best of all plans.

Hell, we might have won this game if had a healthy defense. We almost always generate turn overs with our real defense. The whole game might have been different. Ben wasn’t awful. He just wasn’t the Ben we used to know.
    Competent offense that converts more third downs and stress the Raiders defense changes the entire game.

If you hold an NFL team to 16 points through 3 quarters...you should win.

And, Ben was absolutely horrible today. Even Andy Dalton got the Bengals to play a deep safety today. Ben couldn't even do that until prevent defense garbage time.

Andy Dalton, Kirk Cousins, and Goff. That's the list of guys I wouldn't swap for Ben right now. I forgot Garappolo and Matt Ryan.

Senior Member Array title="RunNGun has a reputation beyond repute"> RunNGun's Avatar

Wasn't there an old baseball guy that said it was better to get rid of a player a year too early than a year too late?
    No, I said that and everyone here got their pitchforks out. A whole thread dedicated to it.

Quote Originally Posted by RunNGun View Post
    No, I said that and everyone here got their pitchforks out. A whole thread dedicated to it.
    Likely wasn't me. I've been singing the same tune since midway through last year.

I get why they didn't and basically couldn't. It was a cap move and and admission that Rudolph isn't very good.

Senior Member Array title="CV1 is a jewel in the rough"> CV1's Avatar

This game was a disappointment.

I much rather have a bottom tier defense than a bottom tier offense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lloydwoodsonjr View Post
    Broncos had success with Peyton; Bucs with Brady; Cards with Palmer etc.

I'm pretty sure the Steelers signing a two year deal with Rodgers would be a good choice. Most other QBs actually train in the offseason.

Rodgers will never be a Steeler. He would easily win 13 games with this team though.
    Right.

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RunNGun View Post
    You also had us trading Watt 2 weeks ago, so...