Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Game balls and goats (Week#2 vs Raiders)

Senior Member Array title="EzraTank has a reputation beyond repute"> EzraTank's Avatar

Game balls and goats (Week#2 vs Raiders)

Goats: Ben, running game, coaching, injuries.

Gameballs: Boz, Harris for trying with no blocking.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Re: Game balls and goats (Week#2 vs Raiders)

Gameballs: None.

Goats: All.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

you gotta win the game to get a game ball.

Game ball: no one

Goats: too many to list

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Ben Roethlisberger. And the coaching staff and ownership for allowing a player who can not compete at the required level to listen to his ego and attempt to play.

Senior Member Array title="dislocatedday has a reputation beyond repute"> dislocatedday's Avatar

Gameballs: Boz and Harvin

It is sad when my only gameballs go to the kicker and punter.

Goat: Ben

He is in the bottom third of NFL Qbs now, which is sad. There are other problems on offense too, but Ben is a shell of his former self. I don't like writing that, but he looks much like he did the back half of last season.

Senior Member Array title="Edman has a reputation beyond repute">

This is what happens when you hold onto a for guy way too long.

No heroes or goats here. Just a team loss.

Well there you have it... Array title="NCSteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> NCSteeler's Avatar

Game balls: Defense, could naidering they were down 4 damn good player in the front 7, plus Hayden

Goat: offense, you have got to be able to count on a NFL level offense to score 20 points every game. Is not tlike they were out there playing 85 Bears or 2000 Ravens

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
    Merry Christmas

Senior Member Array title="JayC is a glorious beacon of light"> JayC's Avatar

shit, i can't blame fichtner for ben sucking anymore

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    Ben Roethlisberger. And the coaching staff and ownership for allowing a player who can not compete at the required level to listen to his ego and attempt to play.
    Ben is a shell of his former self. As I said last week, he is an inaccurate game manager. That's not a good combination. This offense is so painful to watch, especially when we're up against an accurate passer like Carr. The contrast is ridiculous.

Senior Member Array title="cubanstogie has a reputation beyond repute"> cubanstogie's Avatar

I played golf so missed first three quarters, I can’t come here with a clear view of goats but when Tomlin opts to punt on a 4th and one I was furious. IMO you have better shot at gaining a yard than having D producing 2 three and outs. Just glad I didn’t waste a 75 degree day watching a pathetic performance. Sometimes Tomlin appears clueless, especially without full compliment of time outs.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Why can Ben throw a 41 yard NFL pass one play but then throws some lobs on other plays? Does his arm just suddenly get strong and then go away?

Why are the Steelers receivers constantly blanketed when they run their routes but other teams throw at ease on the Steelers? Are the other teams just better at covering? Are the Steelers receivers just bad at getting open?

Why do the Steelers run plays that have routes way short of the first down marker on third and long, third and medium?

Why is the shotgun draw run game after game after game after game and will occasionally produce more than 1-2 yards but most of the time it goes for less than 2? It’s a throw away play. It would make sense if they ran play action if it. They don’t. Is it Ben calling that play? Is Harris just not good? Produces the same results as Conner. Does the O-Line just not block it?

Where is the new offensive motions, calls, under center, play action, etc?

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    Ben is a shell of his former self. As I said last week, he is an inaccurate game manager. That's not a good combination. This offense is so painful to watch, especially when we're up against an accurate passer like Carr. The contrast is ridiculous.
    The Steelers have to make a move on a QB in the draft. It makes no sense to pay players like TJ if your offence can't score points.

Senior Member Array title="Edman has a reputation beyond repute">

I think even "Game Manager" is pushing it. Alex Smith, Mason Rudolph or Landry Jones puts up 24 on the Raiders today. With this Defense is sufficient.

Ben has regressed to 1998-Era Kordell Stewart levels of pain.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Why can Ben throw a 41 yard NFL pass one play but then throws some lobs on other plays? Does his arm just suddenly get strong and then go away?Essentially. His feet need to be tethered to the ground and he needs a great deal of open field in front to step-into it and drive the ball. And the problem is not and has never been that he can't heave it a long way. It is that he can no longer put that heave into a small window that is quickly closing, And that he can no longer accurately pick a shoulder or a hip to place the ball on.

Why are the Steelers receivers constantly blanketed when they run their routes but other teams throw at ease on the Steelers? Are the other teams just better at covering? Are the Steelers receivers just bad at getting open?
    Lack of consistent ball placement by the QB. Ben is putting the ball in a place where the DB can make a play on it. The other QBs are not.

Why do the Steelers run plays that have routes way short of the first down marker on third and long, third and mediu
    See the above. Ben can't hit those throws into small windows on third downs and so it is the "safe" throw and hope someone makes a huge play.

Why is the shotgun draw run game after game after game after game and will occasionally produce more than 1-2 yards but most of the time it goes for less than 2? It’s a throw away play. It would make sense if they ran play action if it. They don’t. Is it Ben calling that play? Is Harris just not good? Produces the same results as Conner. Does the O-Line just not block it?
    Why run play action with a QB that can't throw it down the field? Also,..that play must be intended to do something...but it seems pointless and dumb. Also, no one fears your passing game, so there is no pass rush to suck in and fool.

Where is the new offensive motions, calls, under center, play action, etc?
    The QB refuses to do it.
    See the blue above. I think you already know all this...

Senior Member Array title="cubanstogie has a reputation beyond repute"> cubanstogie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Edman View Post
    I think even "Game Manager" is pushing it. Alex Smith, Mason Rudolph or Landry Jones puts up 24 on the Raiders today. With this Defense is sufficient.

Ben has regressed to 1998-Era Kordell Stewart levels of pain.
    A 6th rounder for minshew, or 4th for Darnold would’ve been great in hindsight. How long before Rudolph gets a start? How much for Deshaun Watson? Ben has a chance to right ship, I still can’t stand watching him anymore. Glad I had zero expectations for this year. Makes days like today much easier.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shoes View Post
    The Steelers have to make a move on a QB in the draft. It makes no sense to pay players like TJ if your offence can't score points.
    This might be OVERREACTION but I wouldn't mind seeing Rudolph at this point. Maybe Ben can catch that groin thing that's going around...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by cubanstogie View Post
    A 6th rounder for minshew
    Minshew likely would've won that game.

- - - Updated - - -

If we don't win 10 or more, I pray that we only win 3-4. Otherwise, we might as well hire Jeff Fisher to coach this team.

Senior Member Array title="dislocatedday has a reputation beyond repute"> dislocatedday's Avatar

This might be OVERREACTION but I wouldn't mind seeing Rudolph at this point. Maybe Ben can catch that groin thing that's going around...
    Well, I have the same overreaction then. I would not mind seeing Rudolph either. Ben has not put together a complete, good game since sometime in the first half of last season. It is not an anomaly at this point......It is a trend that has extended many games now. He is not magically going to find the fountain of youth all of a sudden.

See the blue above. I think you already know all this...
    Saying that all your responses are 100% correct, then the coaching staff is more of a problem then the QB.

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

- - - Updated - - -

Minshew likely would've won that game.

- - - Updated - - -

If we don't win 10 or more, I pray that we only win 3-4. Otherwise, we might as well hire Jeff Fisher to coach this team.

Saying that all your responses are 100% correct, then the coaching staff is more of a problem then the QB.
    Huh? How can the coaching staff make Ben suck less?

They are calling a crippled and abridged playbook because he is garbage right now.

I'm not sure I am following what you are getting at....I mean at this point I would be willing to see what Canada could do under center...

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

imo, Ben is basically a guy who has been great for most of his career based off his raw talent. Now that his talent is diminished, he's being asked to be a cerebral pocket passer, which he is definitely not. Time's up for him.

He could be successful if he were put into an offensive system that has a dominant run game to lean on, but there's no chance of that happening with our o-line. IMO this is a transition year. Lot of new players on offense and defense. As far as a SB window, we can forget about that.

Quote Originally Posted by Fire Goodell View Post
    imo, Ben is basically a guy who has been great for most of his career based off his raw talent. Now that his talent is diminished, he's being asked to be a cerebral pocket passer, which he is definitely not. Time's up for him.
    I actually think that he is being cerebral and diagnosing defenses quickly and accurately. He just can't do what his brain wants him to any longer.

Huh? How can the coaching staff make Ben suck less?

They are calling a crippled and abridged playbook because he is garbage right now.

I'm not sure I am following what you are getting at....I mean at this point I would be willing to see what Canada could do under center...
    The coaching staff, the front office, ownership, they have the ability to change all that you mentioned. Either he plays with the “real playbook” or they play a quarterback that can. That falls 100% on the coaching staff and ownership. Do they not have the ability to change the roster?

The coaching staff, the front office, ownership, they have the ability to change all that you mentioned. Either he plays with the “real playbook” or they play a quarterback that can. That falls 100% on the coaching staff and ownership. Do they not have the ability to change the roster?
    I mean this was discussed all off season. He’s cheaper to play than to pay to retire.

I’ve also repeatedly said if it was my team, he’d be asked to retire.

Letting Ben’s ego write checks his arm can’t cash is the major downfall of this season.

I mean this was discussed all off season. He’s cheaper to play than to pay to retire.

Letting Ben’s ego write checks his arm can’t cash is the major downfall of this season.
    Pretty much the reason why we're riding with him this year, really had no choice in the matter. Sad thing is I'm not even sure he's better than Mason at this point in his career. Mason is pretty bad but he did manage to move the ball in his game vs the Browns.

That doesn’t mean they have to play him and if it was recognized that he was that bad, that falls on the front office and coaching staff not to make the decision to eat the money to better the team...

Ben wants to play. He’s not going to voluntarily sit or admit he can’t do it to benefit the team. The team is the one that needs to make that decision. They decided to ride with a guy that can’t run the whole playbook. That falls on the coaching staff.

That doesn’t mean they have to play him and if it was recognized that he was that bad, that falls on the front office and coaching staff not to make the decision to eat the money to better the team...

Ben wants to play. He’s not going to voluntarily sit or admit he can’t do it to benefit the team. The team is the one that needs to make that decision. They decided to ride with a guy that can’t run the whole playbook. That falls on the coaching staff.
    Sure. And we all knew Ben would have to die on the field. Legends are hard to kill.

Plus, what’s the alternative?

They’re gonna need a few more games like today before they can turn to Rudolph.

Sure. And we all knew Ben would have to die on the field. Legends are hard to kill.

Plus, what’s the alternative?

They’re gonna need a few more games like today before they can turn to Rudolph.
    And that falls on the front office and coaching staff.

Deshaun Watson is sitting wasting away. He’s not going to be suspended forever...

And that falls on the front office and coaching staff.

Deshaun Watson is sitting wasting away. He’s not going to be suspended forever...
    In what world does that happen?

Can you imagine trying to sell ownership on that one?

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Game balls:

Heyward. Just write his name down every week.

Boz. WOW!!!

JuJu. He’s reliable. He does the dirty work. If he were moved back outside, he’d get more yards. As it is, he’s (statistically) the best slot receiver over the past five seasons… which is huge.

Harvin. He pinned the Raiders inside the 15. Once on a bomb and once from midfield. Can’t ask for more.

Goats:

Injuries.

Ben not throwing to the “open” side of Claypool.

DJ & Ebron.