Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Game balls and goats (Week#2 vs Raiders)

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Re: Game balls and goats (Week#2 vs Raiders)

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Peon View Post
    I haven't seen anyone mention this yet, but why were no time-outs called before the end of the 1st half? There was roughly 1:50 on the game clock with Vegas already in scoring position, so why not have faith in your D and save some time for your O to get back on the field and get some points? You're going to give the ball right back to Vegas after the half, so why let them drain the clock and then score? Am I alone in thinking we shoulda' used our last 2 time-outs here?
    We had burned two of them earlier in the half. One when Ben got hit it the head (NO FLAG) and needed a minute with father his senses. The other one was when… hmmm… I’m assuming either DJ or Ebron were lined up wrong forcing us to use a timeout.

Drvlspwr Array title="Steel Peon has a reputation beyond repute"> Steel Peon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    We had burned two of them earlier in the half. One when Ben got hit it the head (NO FLAG) and needed a minute with father his senses. The other one was when… hmmm… I’m assuming either DJ or Ebron were lined up wrong forcing us to use a timeout.
    Maybe Tomlin thought the same thing, but I was at the the game and vocalizing: "Are we just gonna let them drain the clock here and score? Is that what we're doing?" But, I got no responses from either the fans nor the coaching staff (secondarily because I was so high up in the stands and primarily because they wouldn't really care what I said even if they could hear me), so I just shrugged and accepted that's what we were doing. Just to back me that we had 2 time-outs, and AFTER the damn free 2 minute warning no less and a bunch of free penalty time-outs, here's the video: https://youtu.be/THfd4Kjz9wQ?t=290

So to summarize, we let the Raiders drain the clock while setting up a score (while living in our fears), and then WE kicked the ball off to them. I think we coulda' had at least a minute left to do something with after using those TOs, while having faith that the def hold them to 3 pts. I'm very frustrated.

NOTE: The video starts at 2:00 minutes left in the half, and the Raiders are at our 16 yard line so they're probably going to score here, and that's why I say use the time-outs.
    “They say you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone. So I got rid of everything to see what I had.” ~ Steven Wright

I won't go for ball or goats this week. But I do want to point out one thing. Has anyone taken notice that we played that entire game without a starting linebacker (Bush), Cornerback (Haden), and lineman (Stephon Tuitt), and in the game, we also lost T. J. Watt and Tyson Alualu. That's five of our defensive players we can depend on all looking on from the sidelines. And, it took having all five out for this defense to look average.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Craic View Post
    I won't go for ball or goats this week. But I do want to point out one thing. Has anyone taken notice that we played that entire game without a starting linebacker (Bush), Cornerback (Haden), and lineman (Stephon Tuitt), and in the game, we also lost T. J. Watt and Tyson Alualu. That's five of our defensive players we can depend on all looking on from the sidelines. And, it took having all five out for this defense to look average.
    Not in this thread. But, elsewhere…

http://www.steelersuniverse.com/foru...l=1#post776824

Maybe Tomlin thought the same thing, but I was at the the game and vocalizing: "Are we just gonna let them drain the clock here and score? Is that what we're doing?" But, I got no responses from either the fans nor the coaching staff (secondarily because I was so high up in the stands and primarily because they wouldn't really care what I said even if they could hear me), so I just shrugged and accepted that's what we were doing. Just to back me that we had 2 time-outs, and AFTER the damn free 2 minute warning no less and a bunch of free penalty time-outs, here's the video: https://youtu.be/THfd4Kjz9wQ?t=290

So to summarize, we let the Raiders drain the clock while setting up a score (while living in our fears), and then WE kicked the ball off to them. I think we coulda' had at least a minute left to do something with after using those TOs, while having faith that the def hold them to 3 pts. I'm very frustrated.

NOTE: The video starts at 2:00 minutes left in the half, and the Raiders are at our 16 yard line so they're probably going to score here, and that's why I say use the time-outs.
    Tomlin couldn’t hear you; he wears earplugs at games to drain out the overuse of songs by Queen snd Ozzy. You should have emailed him: defenderofgrass@obvi.com

I’m not seeing the same thing on that video… because, at the 11:08 mark on the video (1:40 left to go on the video), there is 5:51 left on the actual game clock: the Steelers hike the ball, and it shows us only having one timeout.

Regardless, I agree: we should have gone for it on fourth-&-one. If you can’t convert that, you deserve to lose. (Of course, the goal line debacle last season against Washington disagrees with both of us. )

Drvlspwr Array title="Steel Peon has a reputation beyond repute"> Steel Peon's Avatar

Tomlin couldn’t hear you; he wears earplugs at games to drain out the overuse of songs by Queen snd Ozzy. You should have emailed him: defenderofgrass@obvi.com

I’m not seeing the same thing on that video… because, at the 11:08 mark on the video (1:40 left to go on the video), there is 5:51 left on the actual game clock: the Steelers hike the ball, and it shows us only having one timeout.
    I think I know where the disconnect is now, because I'm talking about what happened at the end of the 1st half.

I haven't seen anyone mention this yet, but why were no time-outs called before the end of the 1st half? There was roughly 1:50 on the game clock with Vegas already in scoring position, so why not have faith in your D and save some time for your O to get back on the field and get some points? You're going to give the ball right back to Vegas after the half, so why let them drain the clock and then score? Am I alone in thinking we shoulda' used our last 2 time-outs here?
    So yeah, that video I posted (https://youtu.be/THfd4Kjz9wQ?t=290) is cued to start at 2:00 remaining in the 1st half, and the more I think about it the more sure I become this was the sequence of events that lost us the game, i.e. allowing the Raiders to score right before the 1st half ends, and then give the ball right back to them at the beginning of the 2nd.
    “They say you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone. So I got rid of everything to see what I had.” ~ Steven Wright

I think I know where the disconnect is now, because I'm talking about what happened at the end of the 1st half.

So yeah, that video I posted (https://youtu.be/THfd4Kjz9wQ?t=290) is cued to start at 2:00 remaining in the 1st half, and the more I think about it the more sure I become this was the sequence of events that lost us the game, i.e. allowing the Raiders to score right before the 1st half ends, and then give the ball right back to them at the beginning of the 2nd.
    Aha… now it makes sense. I’m slow sometimes.

On the flip side, if we “had” taken those two time outs, maybe the Raiders would have had two more opportunities to attempt a TD (instead of having to settle for a FG) right before the half.

On the flip side, if we “had” taken those two time outs, maybe the Raiders would have had two more opportunities to attempt a TD (instead of having to settle for a FG) right before the half.
    Yep, and I totally understood the main logic for not using them, but I thought our D could hold them to 3 or they would score quickly, and then we could really use the extra time.

Yep, and I totally understood the main logic for not using them, but I thought our D could hold them to 3 or they would score quickly, and then we could really use the extra time.
    The D looked exhausted. Understandably so… because the offense hadn’t done jack for the majority of the half.