Thread: Can We Talk About Urban Meyer for a second?

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Can We Talk About Urban Meyer for a second?

This seems to be going off the rails super fast in Jax.

What is this guy doing? I mean they aren't even running his offense.

Growing whispers that his attempts to replicate a college culture are alienating players. Even rumors that he pulls a Petrino and just splits.

Anyone know more about this? Is it all overblown?

Also...remember when there were all these posts about how awesome Urban was? Does he turn it around...or does he keep riding a bullet train to the bottom?

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Re: Can We Talk About Urban Meyer for a second?

From my perspective, it's waaaaaay overblown. He's coached ONE game and it's OVERREACTION MONDAY! A good year for Jax would be 5-12 and have them going in the right direction.

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

Six Rings? Six Rings? Bueller?

Quote Originally Posted by Six Rings View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Urban Meyer? Hard pass.
    He is an excellent football coach.
    "He has everyone looking over their shoulders already," said one source with direct knowledge of the daily operations in Jacksonville. "He becomes unhinged way too easily, and he doesn't know how to handle losing, even in the preseason. He loses it and wants to take over the drills himself. It's not good."

There were difficulties getting the schedule set and installations completed on time, sources said, with Meyer pushing to treat the preseason games more like the regular season in terms of how vanilla to keep the game plans and how much to play the most vital players. Meyer, who was wildly successful at the college level and often enjoyed superior personnel, has lashed out at his staff after exhibition losses and, sources said, called some of their job security into question despite them having yet to play a game that matters in the standings.

Another source said: "You can't freak out about preseason games and belittle your coaches -- on a staff you handpicked -- every time things don't go your way. It's not going to work here."
    https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/u...eady-suffered/

Yep, I want this guy coaching the Steelers!

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
    Six Rings? Six Rings? Bueller?

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/u...eady-suffered/

Yep, I want this guy coaching the Steelers!
    That whole thread was comical. Six Dongs was spanking his monkey over Urban Meyer.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    From my perspective, it's waaaaaay overblown. He's coached ONE game and it's OVERREACTION MONDAY! A good year for Jax would be 5-12 and have them going in the right direction.
    Not bad points. I do hope they start running more stuff that looks like his Florida heyday offense.

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

I had suspicions that urban meyer didn't translate at all to the nfl and week 1 seemed to support that notion. I mean by god the Texans are AWFUL and they got blown out of the water by them. Between him and trent baalke as gm, (the clown gm who drove out jim Harbaugh and capsized the 49ers a few years ago) I feel for trevor Lawrence and hope for his sake that franchise doesn't ruin him.

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

I want nothing to do with him and I expect it to be a failed experiment in Jacksonville. Having said that, it’s been one game. Just one. I’d like to at least give the guy 8 games, 24 games before he gets run out of town. Any new coach hired should get a good three years with “his players” before he’s considered an absolute failure…unless the coach is utterly horrendous. With his history, Meyer should get a solid three seasons to fail…

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Old School Misfit Array title="silver & black has a reputation beyond repute"> silver & black's Avatar

LOL... Urban Meyer is who he is. He's a good coach. I seriously doubt that the NFL poses any great threat to his abilities. He's a no nonsense guy that expects the best from his players. He's not going to be any different in the Pros than he was in college.

I think Meyer is going to fail on Chip Kelly or Nick Saban levels in the NFL.

His offense is no longer innovative. He can’t bring a massive talent advantage to every game. And his rah-rah stuff won’t go over well in the pros. Plus, Meyer has traditionally dominated in college by teaching his kids to prepare in detail and out work most other programs. Everyone works hard in the NFL.

Old School Misfit Array title="silver & black has a reputation beyond repute"> silver & black's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post

His offense is no longer innovative. He can’t bring a massive talent advantage to every game. And his rah-rah stuff won’t go over well in the pros. Plus, Meyer has traditionally dominated in college by teaching his kids to prepare in detail and out work most other programs. Everyone works hard in the NFL.
    Agree. That's why I said he is who he is. He can't bend enough to be successful in the NFL.

I'm a huge Buckeyes fan. I didn't care for him with Ohio State. He won, but I thought he played too conservative most of the time. That won't work in the NFL... and neither will his smug attitude.

Ironically, that is why I'm not a Gruden fan. I think he plays way too conservative.

Quote Originally Posted by silver & black View Post
    Agree. That's why I said he is who he is. He can't bend enough to be successful in the NFL.

I'm a huge Buckeyes fan. I didn't care for him with Ohio State. He won, but I thought he played too conservative most of the time. That won't work in the NFL... and neither will his smug attitude.

Ironically, that is why I'm not a Gruden fan. I think he plays way too conservative.
    Both are “system” guys who don’t seem to update their system. Andy Reid was smart enough to update his stuff and look what that got him.

Gruden does seem oddly risk averse this time around.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post

Agree.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

His problem was when he cut Tebow. Tebow was going to lead them to the Super Bowl.

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    His problem was when he cut Tebow. Tebow was going to lead them to the Super Bowl.

Not looking like this clown will make it past Week 8 (at best).

OMG! Urban’s total faceplant is hilarious is glorious to watch. Dude’s always been an over hyped dingus.

Senior Member Array title="Edman has a reputation beyond repute">

"NFL Top 10 coaches who belonged in College" springs to mind here.

He's just getting himself fired so he can take the USC job

I still think he will finish the year and even come back if Lawrence starts playing well near the end of the season.

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

dudes a ladies man

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

I figured he was not going to do well in the pros but I didn't think his tenure was going to be this much of a flaming shipwreck

Senior Member Array title="EzraTank has a reputation beyond repute"> EzraTank's Avatar

Wow a drunk dude groped a young girl. You know who that is between? The young girl, his wife and him.

When you get paid dumptrucks of money in a glorified public relations industry...then it is between you, the girl, the wife, your families, and every single potential paying customer.

Not to mention that you just got your butt kicked...again...and you basically take a few days off? That crap will fly when your big man on campus or whatever. That doesn't look good to either your players or to those potential paying customers in the NFL.

Senior Member Array title="Hawkman has a reputation beyond repute">

We have a local “talk sports” radio program, not great, but I love the irreverence of the hosts, (and I guess the sponsors do too). Today, one of the hosts got on a rant and said something like, “ I hate Uban Meyer, I always have, I hope he goes 0-16 I hope any bad that can happen ( short of death) does.” He kept going, but I thought it was hysterical. I’ve never liked Meyer, mainly because he has never taken any responsibility for anything negative, but boy does he love the praise.

eh he was having fun at a bar with a girl and she didn't seem to mind it. I don't know what the big deal is honestly. yeah sucks for his marriage but that's none of my business

So if he wins more games, does that mean it's acceptable for him to grab as much ass as he wants?

Honestly it seems like it was only a story because the jags were winless and nobody's supposed to have fun if you're winless