Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Week 2: Vegas Raiders

Senior Member Array title="HollywoodSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> HollywoodSteel's Avatar

Re: Week 2: Vegas Raiders

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    I’m not sure if anyone posted it, but a little known fact about the Buffalo game, the Steelers did not blitz once that whole game. Pretty incredible considering the pressure that Josh Allen received.
    Yeah, it’s been discussed quite a bit by the experts - I think they actually blitzed once. Although I heard twice from some sources - and Tomlin was asked about it possibly being a strategy going forward. His response was, “fuck off” or something to the effect of not being interested in discussing future strategy with the media.

The point is, this defense is very dangerous and almost impossible to game plan for because they have so many strategic options, and can do so many different things from the same formations.

Senior Member Array title="Hawkman has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by HollywoodSteel View Post
    Yeah, it’s been discussed quite a bit by the experts - I think they actually blitzed once. Although I heard twice from some sources - and Tomlin was asked about it possibly being a strategy going forward. His response was, “fuck off” or something to the effect of not being interested in discussing future strategy with the media.

The point is, this defense is very dangerous and almost impossible to game plan for because they have so many strategic options, and can do so many different things from the same formations.
    Agreed! NFL Channel replayed the game on Wednesday and I watched it…twice. Good players on defense ready to to contribute. It was almost like Tomlin and Butler were expecting to lose so they were trying out combinations……and they worked. As Tomlin would say, a lot of men wanting to put their hands in the pile. When you have the personnel do something…..3OLBs, 2ILBs, 2DLs,4DBs. Just a different configuration. I liked it. We probably had at least a 3+ year setback when Shazier went down. He was the new Farrior, but much more athletic.

Senior Member Array title="HollywoodSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> HollywoodSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkman View Post
    Agreed! NFL Channel replayed the game on Wednesday and I watched it…twice. Good players on defense ready to to contribute. It was almost like Tomlin and Butler were expecting to lose so they were trying out combinations……and they worked. As Tomlin would say, a lot of men wanting to put their hands in the pile. When you have the personnel do something…..3OLBs, 2ILBs, 2DLs,4DBs. Just a different configuration. I liked it. We probably had at least a 3+ year setback when Shazier went down. He was the new Farrior, but much more athletic.
    I have to give Tomlin and Butler credit for putting together a hell of a defensive game plan. They knew exactly how Allen picked them apart with Diggs last time, and they were determined to make all of Allen’s film study and the Bills’ offensive game plan obsolete.

I saw Chris Simms (of all people) do a really interesting break down of one play. It was the third down play on the Bills’ first series after the big run back. It was huge because it obviously forced a FG. Bush was lined up like he was gonna blitz from the outside, and everything the Steelers did on that play was like nothing the Bills could have anticipated from film study. Allen was fooled. The receivers were fooled. And it led to what looked like a bad throw, but there was no way Allen could have been on the same page with the WR based on what the defense did.

And we kept doing that kind of thing to him all game long.

Gruden must have had his hands full this week trying to figure out all the defensive looks we showed, plus all the ones we didn’t show yet. Remember, we are still capable of blitzing from those formations as well. It’s just too many possibilities to anticipate for an offense.

Senior Member Array title="Hawkman has a reputation beyond repute">

I have to give Tomlin and Butler credit for putting together a hell of a defensive game plan. They knew exactly how Allen picked them apart with Diggs last time, and they were determined to make all of Allen’s film study and the Bills’ offensive game plan obsolete.

I saw Chris Simms (of all people) do a really interesting break down of one play. It was the third down play on the Bills’ first series after the big run back. It was huge because it obviously forced a FG. Bush was lined up like he was gonna blitz from the outside, and everything the Steelers did on that play was like nothing the Bills could have anticipated from film study. Allen was fooled. The receivers were fooled. And it led to what looked like a bad throw, but there was no way Allen could have been on the same page with the WR based on what the defense did.

Gruden must have had his hands full this week trying to figure out all the defensive looks we showed, plus all the ones we didn’t show yet. Remember, we are still capable of blitzing from those formations as well. It’s just too many possibilities to anticipate for an offense.
    So who do you think is doing the film study? I would like to think it’s everyone, but that’s unrealistic. I hope they keep doing it.

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

In that Pat MacAfee interview, Inthink Tomlin said they didn’t blitz at all.

Nonce or once. Pretty crazy. And even more scary to see what will happen when Tuitt is back and at 100%…

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

In that Pat MacAfee interview, Inthink Tomlin said they didn’t blitz at all.

Nonce or once. Pretty crazy. And even more scary to see what will happen when Tuitt is back and at 100%…
    It was Pat that said they didn’t blitz at all, and Tomlin didn’t correct him. I’ve heard different reports. It was somewhere between zero and two.

Banned Array title="Lloydwoodsonjr is a splendid one to behold">

I'm more concerned about the offense.

Old School Misfit Array title="silver & black has a reputation beyond repute"> silver & black's Avatar

Just wanted to stop in and say good luck... as in no injuries and being a good game. I can't watch the game so I'll have to keep tabs on my phone.

Banned Array title="Lloydwoodsonjr is a splendid one to behold">

Quote Originally Posted by silver & black View Post
    Just wanted to stop in and say good luck... as in no injuries and being a good game. I can't watch the game so I'll have to keep tabs on my phone.
    Thanks. Love playing the Raiders- always a tough game.

Quest For Seven Array title="Mach1 has a reputation beyond repute"> Mach1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by silver & black View Post
    Congrats.

Give a lib a fish--he eats for a day

Teach a lib to fish--he is back the next day asking for more free fish.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Ravens Fan Extraordinaire Array title="Crow-Magnon has a reputation beyond repute"> Crow-Magnon's Avatar

I would say “I told you so”, but I didn’t, so I won’t. But I should have, because the Raiders showed me something last week, and they did again this week as well. The AFCW might be a division to be concerned about, and not just because of KC. Carr played a heck of a game today.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Crow-Magnon View Post
    I would say “I told you so”, but I didn’t, so I won’t. But I should have, because the Raiders showed me something last week, and they did again this week as well. The AFCW might be a division to be concerned about, and not just because of KC. Carr played a heck of a game today.
    Agreed. It is like everyone forgot that Carr was almost the MVP of the entire league just a few seasons ago. He can be really really good when surrounded with enough talent.

Old School Misfit Array title="silver & black has a reputation beyond repute"> silver & black's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mach1 View Post
    Congrats.
    Thank you. I was really bummed to hear of TJ's injury. Both teams had enough injuries going into the game, I was hoping neither team would suffer any more.

TJ is a hell of a player. It may have turned out different if he had played the whole game.

I know it sucks for you guys, but I don't think the Steelers are anywhere near finished this season.

Senior Member Array title="Rotorhead has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by Crow-Magnon View Post
    I think they (Raiders) lose both games if our teams weren’t completely ravaged with injuries

Senior Member Array title="Steeler-in-west has a reputation beyond repute"> Steeler-in-west's Avatar

Boz and Juju played well, honestly the receiving corps as a whole is fine, Najee will be great, the problem was half our defense including watt was injured - so Carr had all day to throw

If our defense is intact we win the game and Ben is still called a game manager instead of being called done. Yes, he’s not the young Ben anymore but he can still make throws, that being said, he took some punishment today - I don’t think he can take much more of that. Rudolph better be ready

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

The receiving core is not fine. DJ has talent when he can catch the ball but is overly dumb. I mean how many times do we have to see a “miscommunication” with Ben? 4-5 times in two games? Is it possible that Claypool cleanly catches a ball? I mean every single catch he’s leaning, falling, jumping, leaping, whatever. Not always Bens fault. Washington is inconsistent, Ebron is hot garbage.

JuJu and Freiermuth have been the only solid receivers they have had this season. When JuJu walks next season, the receivers will be a glorified version of what the Bengals throw out there.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

I mean keep finding ways to say it’s not Ben.

But it is dude. It totally is.

Also Chase, Higgins, and Boyd is a pretty good WR corps.

Senior Member Array title="Steeler-in-west has a reputation beyond repute"> Steeler-in-west's Avatar

DJ had by all accounts a good game last week and made a heck of a td catch. Claypool seems to be doing a good job leaning and making adjustments to Ben’s throws. Haven’t seen claypool catch a ball in stride much, I don’t think that’s his fault.

Ben is not the old Ben, he’s looking like a game manager at this point - so far

Week 2: Vegas Raiders

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post

I’m not saying it’s not Ben, I’m Saying it’s not 100% Ben. Ben is nowhere near the Ben that we’ve all known and he hasn’t been for several years. The whole team has been shitty on the offensive side of the ball. You can put all the blame on Ben, but it’s not going to change anything when he’s gone...it will still be a shitty offense until the O-Line improves, they get a good receiver to complement JuJu and Claypool...at that point, both of those guys could be gone.

Quote Originally Posted by Steeler-in-west View Post
    DJ had by all accounts a good game last week and made a heck of a td catch. Claypool seems to be doing a good job leaning and making adjustments to Ben’s throws. Haven’t seen claypool catch a ball in stride much, I don’t think that’s his fault.

Ben is not the old Ben, he’s looking like a game manager at this point - so far
    He doesn’t even look like a game manager. If he’s a game manager, he’s a game manager trying to do too much. Lol.

I’m not saying it’s not Ben, I’m Saying it’s not 100% Ben. Ben is nowhere near the Ben that we’ve all known and he hasn’t been for several years. The whole team has been shitty on the offensive side of the ball. You can put all the blame on Ben, but it’s not going to change anything when he’s gone...it will still be a shitty offense until the O-Line improves, they get a good receiver to complement JuJu and Claypool...at that point, both of those guys could be gone.
    I think this team is 2-0 with Rudolph at the controls.

I would disagree.

Senior Member Array title="steel striker is a name known to all">

Yeah I don't think Mason would have played any better than Ben did.

Senior Member Array title="Edman has a reputation beyond repute">

I would disagree.
    With the Defense banged up now its unlikely, but Mason would game manage this team to 2-0 if the Defense was full strength.

Quote Originally Posted by Edman View Post
    With the Defense banged up now its unlikely, but Mason would game manage this team to 2-0 if the Defense was full strength.
    I would disagree. I think the record is still 1-1.

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by steel striker View Post
    Yeah I don't think Mason would have played any better than Ben did.
    He probably would have. Honestly he can make those intermediate level throws that Ben seems unable to do at this point

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

On ESPN, Rex Ryan says he owes Big Ben an apology. He blamed Ben too much for getting rid of the ball so quickly. He says he realizes now that the OL is awful, and that Ben has no time to look downfield. He is getting killed and is being pressured on 31% of his drop backs, even though he is getting rid of the ball in the fastest times in the NFL and maybe ever.

Ryan Clark agrees, and both believe he will never make it through the season if the OL doesn't improve.

It also means that no quarterback could play well with the train wreck in front of him right now.

Senior Member Array title="cubanstogie has a reputation beyond repute"> cubanstogie's Avatar

I believe Rudolph starting would win more games than Ben. I know it’s going to take 3-4 losses and bad games by Ben to get Rudolph in though. I’ve set myself up to think second half of season is rebuilding year.

Quote Originally Posted by pczach View Post
    On ESPN, Rex Ryan says he owes Big Ben an apology. He blamed Ben too much for getting rid of the ball so quickly. He says he realizes now that the OL is awful, and that Ben has no time to look downfield. He is getting killed and is being pressured on 31% of his drop backs, even though he is getting rid of the ball in the fastest times in the NFL and maybe ever.

Ryan Clark agrees, and both believe he will never make it through the season if the OL doesn't improve.

It also means that no quarterback could play well with the train wreck in front of him right now.
    Ok. Let's say all that is right and Ryan Clark isn't a biased observer for his old QB...how to explain the ones where he has time, sets his feet, and still throws some combination of a flutterball, a moonball, or is poor in his ball placement (inside versus outside shoulder, etc)?

They changed almost everything about the offense, and it is still not good. At what point do you blame the QB? The evidence is before our eyes.

Also, one could ask why is there so much pressure? Is it because offenses basically laugh at the passing "attack" and are playing everyone on top of the line of scrimmage. I regularly saw the Raiders with both safeties and both CBs well inside the "box". I often counted 9,10, and even 11 man boxes from the Raiders. Say that 3 of those guys are obviously covering WRs...that is still 7-8 guys for 5 o linemen to sort through. I think it might help if the QB could be a enough of a "big play" threat to back some of those guys off and let the offensive line breath a bit.

There are multiple other QBs across the league that play behind suspect and leaky offensive lines and they manage to connect enough to make defenses line up with at least SOME deep guys.