Thread: so PFF strikes again with Idiocy

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

so PFF strikes again with Idiocy

Big Ben gets worst rating of all starting QBs week 1 even tho if A Rod would have thrown the ball into the ground every single snap his rating would have been higher ....

my only real question is how do these morons still get cited by main stream media and talking heads , how are they taken seriously ???

this is beyond laughable

https://www.post-gazette.com/sports/...box=1631708996
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Re: so PFF strikes again with Idiocy

I dunno. I watched Ben throw last Sunday and many of those throws were really bad. Even the TD to Johnson wasn't a good throw.

All the "plays" to Claypool were poor throws that either Claypool or the official bailed him out on.

He made one "tight window" throw to Juju. Everything else was just lollipoped into an open guy. He missed Harris and others short several times.

Honestly, he wasn't very good on Sunday. At all.

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Even more comical. Minkah was ranked #71 last weekend by PFF.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    I dunno. I watched Ben throw last Sunday and many of those throws were really bad. Even the TD to Johnson wasn't a good throw.

All the "plays" to Claypool were poor throws that either Claypool or the official bailed him out on.

He made one "tight window" throw to Juju. Everything else was just lollipoped into an open guy. He missed Harris and others short several times.

In Ben’s defense, the one Harris incompletion was because Harris didn’t turn around fast enough. There were also several throws he made that were very good. Was he good? Probably not by Ben standards. But he wasn’t the worst QB in Week One.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    In Ben’s defense, the one Harris incompletion was because Harris didn’t turn around fast enough. There were also several throws he made that were very good. Was he good? Probably not by Ben standards. But he wasn’t the worst QB in Week One.
    Fair. I mean I really don't care about this ranking system or that. But...if Canada and another off-season was supposed to recalibrate Ben and make him different/better than last season...it has not happened after one week. It was still the smoke and mirrors offense that eventually ran out of gas in 2020. And it was still a QB that does not look capable of consistently challenging NFL defenders in small areas.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Fair. I mean I really don't care about this ranking system or that. But...if Canada and another off-season was supposed to recalibrate Ben and make him different/better than last season...it has not happened after one week. It was still the smoke and mirrors offense that eventually ran out of gas in 2020. And it was still a QB that does not look capable of consistently challenging NFL defenders in small areas.
    Again in his defense, he’s never been an “out of the gate” guy to start with. Usually takes him some games to “warm up”. Not saying you’re wrong but not saying you’re exactly correct either.

Senior Member Array title="HollywoodSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> HollywoodSteel's Avatar

Again in his defense, he’s never been an “out of the gate” guy to start with. Usually takes him some games to “warm up”. Not saying you’re wrong but not saying you’re exactly correct either.
    I also think Ben is still a little skittish about this Oline causing him to rush throws. As the Oline gels and gains Ben’s confidence I believe Ben will make better throws.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Ben is an is an inaccurate game manager with good receivers.

So I had some minutes before dinner and watched the offensive series very quickly via TiVo and I don’t think he’s nearly as bad as you are making him out to be. I looked at the throws over 10 yards because that’s what most people seem to criticize him on:

First Quarter:
    - Completed pass on target to JuJu

Second Quarter:
    - Incomplete to Claypool - was an ugly pass. At the same time, he had defenders in his face and couldn’t follow through.
    - Incomplete to DJ - hit DJ in hands, Hyde knocked out.

Third Quarter:
    - Threw into defensive holding. Was a bad throw and intercepted. As soon as he threw, he pointed as he knew that it was a penalty. The announcers seemed to agree with that as well.
    - Completed pass to Ebron in hands for 20 yards.
    - Completedto Claypool. Claypool made the play to catch the ball. Play was pretty much all Claypool.
    - Good throw to Freiermuth for about 25 yards in stride.

Fourth Quarter:
    - Incomplete to Claypool. Looked like his arm was hit as ball floated. Pass Interference.
    - TD to DJ was lofted perfectly into the corner of the end zone as a QB would do to try to get into a trash can. Wallace tried to make play on the ball but was just out of his reach and DJ made catch on the tip. A little reminiscent of the Super Bowl XLIII throw?
    - Way overthrew DJ.
    - Great back shoulder throw to JuJu.
    - Threw to Claypool in stride.
    - Short on throw to DJ. Definite miscommunication between Ben and DJ. Happened 2-3 times this game.

Again, not saying you are wrong but I do think you are overly nitpicking every throw he makes to fit your narrative that he’s washed up because he wasn’t nearly as bad as he was at the end of 2020 this past Sunday. Of course there could be something I missed, but I tried to view all the throws over 10 as best I could in as little time as I could before dinner.

Also, sometimes a lollipop throw works. Not everything has to be with velocity and there were some throws that had that velocity when necessary.

Senior Member Array title="HollywoodSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> HollywoodSteel's Avatar

So I had some minutes before dinner and watched the offensive series very quickly via TiVo and I don’t think he’s nearly as bad as you are making him out to be. I looked at the throws over 10 yards because that’s what most people seem to criticize him on:

First Quarter:

Second Quarter:
    - Incomplete to Claypool - was an ugly pass. At the same time, he had defenders in his face and couldn’t follow through.

Third Quarter:
    - Threw into defensive holding. Was a bad throw and intercepted. As soon as he threw, he pointed as he knew that it was a penalty. The announcers seemed to agree with that as well.
    - Completedto Claypool. Claypool made the play to catch the ball. Play was pretty much all Claypool.

Fourth Quarter:
    - Incomplete to Claypool. Looked like his arm was hit as ball floated. Pass Interference.
    - TD to DJ was lofted perfectly into the corner of the end zone as a QB would do to try to get into a trash can. Wallace tried to make play on the ball but was just out of his reach and DJ made catch on the tip. A little reminiscent of the Super Bowl XLIII throw?
    - Way overthrew DJ.
    - Short on throw to DJ. Definite miscommunication between Ben and DJ. Happened 2-3 times this game.

Again, not saying you are wrong but I do think you are overly nitpicking every throw he makes to fit your narrative that he’s washed up because he wasn’t nearly as bad as he was at the end of 2020 this past Sunday. Of course there could be something I missed, but I tried to view all the throws over 10 as best I could in as little time as I could before dinner.

Also, sometimes a lollipop throw works. Not everything has to be with velocity and there were some throws that had that velocity when necessary.
    When watching it again do you think he rushed any throws that he might have done a better job with if he had more confidence in the O Line? Just curious.

First Quarter:

Second Quarter:

Third Quarter:

Fourth Quarter:
    - Way overthrew DJ.

That's awesome. And far better than I'll be able to do. I have no access to replay of any kind. I have to rely on my faulty memory and outside observers. I can't find anyone besides Steelers fans making a case for Ben not looking pretty bad.

I really don't have a preset narrative. Not important but I picked up Ben in several fantasy leagues because I figured he'd look better.

Ben looks like the same guy he was last year. That's more than good enough to win double digit games. But not good enough to win multiple playoff games.

And from the bits and pieces of other games I did see, he didn't look good compared to many of his peers.

Senior Member Array title="RunNGun has a reputation beyond repute"> RunNGun's Avatar

We're not winning football games on Ben's arm. If we get the running game going and Ben is throwing 30 times or less per game then this could be a dangerous team.

If the running game never gets afloat and Ben is chucking it 40 or more times a game we're destined for failure.

Ben is a game manager at this point in his career. He might have a play here and there that makes you think that looked like vintage Ben, but he's going to have a lot more plays leaving us scratching our heads.

Quote Originally Posted by HollywoodSteel View Post
    When watching it again do you think he rushed any throws that he might have done a better job with if he had more confidence in the O Line? Just curious.
    Yes. Also think some of them he was rushed. But again, I watched it very fast. Didn’t want to get yelled at by the wife.

Senior Member Array title="ETL has a reputation beyond repute"> ETL's Avatar

Ben needs to be a game manager. His arm is not strong. Other teams know this and we need positive yards on first down to move the ball.

I remember a game maybe about 10 years ago when Ben went out with an injury but could have come back but Tomlin let Leftwich stay as QB and byron’s passes had way more zip.

But Joe Montana didn’t have the strongest arm nor did Greg Maddux in baseball. But both used their abilities to maximize winning.

Drvlspwr Array title="Steel Peon has a reputation beyond repute"> Steel Peon's Avatar

I've disagreed with PFF a fair amount in the past, so what else is new? I'm just glad I still don't need to pay them any attention.
    “They say you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone. So I got rid of everything to see what I had.” ~ Steven Wright

That's awesome. And far better than I'll be able to do. I have no access to replay of any kind. I have to rely on my faulty memory and outside observers. I can't find anyone besides Steelers fans making a case for Ben not looking pretty bad.

I really don't have a preset narrative. Not important but I picked up Ben in several fantasy leagues because I figured he'd look better.

Ben looks like the same guy he was last year. That's more than good enough to win double digit games. But not good enough to win multiple playoff games.

And from the bits and pieces of other games I did see, he didn't look good compared to many of his peers.
    When I was watching the game, I was wondering about Ben as well. Then, he came on in the second half and threw well. I wondered why he was so bad in the first half. Then, listening to Wolf and Starks on Steelers Radio, they were talking about the punting how absolutely horrible the wind was. In fact, they attributed what we thought was a shank to the wind messing with the ball. (Wolf even talked about seeing a punt in his day that was absolutely booted, but it hit a head wind and went straight up in the air and landed just on the other side of the LoS).

So, that got me wondering if the problem we were witnessing was Ben, or the wind. Perhaps it is telling that both QBs played pretty well in opposite halves, meaning the wind was most likely at their back those halves. And, that would also account for Ben way overthrowing DJ.

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

to steal my own comment from another thread as I believe it pertains here as well ...

when they only have to defend 20 yards of field

you wont be able to run or get many 1st downs and we are witnessing this as it unfolds ...

once they started throwing 20-30 yard passes we seen the Bills D on their heels and the Steelers starting to complete some passes and consequently move the football and score some points ....hard to look good when you cram 22 guys in 15 yards of field
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    Ben is an is an inaccurate game manager with good receivers.
    Sure, but in his defense, he looks leaner this year and has apparently been watching more film.

Quote Originally Posted by Craic View Post
    When I was watching the game, I was wondering about Ben as well. Then, he came on in the second half and threw well. I wondered why he was so bad in the first half. Then, listening to Wolf and Starks on Steelers Radio, they were talking about the punting how absolutely horrible the wind was. In fact, they attributed what we thought was a shank to the wind messing with the ball. (Wolf even talked about seeing a punt in his day that was absolutely booted, but it hit a head wind and went straight up in the air and landed just on the other side of the LoS).

So, that got me wondering if the problem we were witnessing was Ben, or the wind. Perhaps it is telling that both QBs played pretty well in opposite halves, meaning the wind was most likely at their back those halves. And, that would also account for Ben way overthrowing DJ.
    I didn't know it was that windy. Might be an important factor!

Senior Member Array title="EzraTank has a reputation beyond repute"> EzraTank's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RunNGun View Post
    We're not winning football games on Ben's arm. If we get the running game going and Ben is throwing 30 times or less per game then this could be a dangerous team.

If the running game never gets afloat and Ben is chucking it 40 or more times a game we're destined for failure.

Ben is a game manager at this point in his career. He might have a play here and there that makes you think that looked like vintage Ben, but he's going to have a lot more plays leaving us scratching our heads.
    This. No one is expecting the Ben from 5-10 years ago. That arm is gone. But with this defense if we can somehow get any type of running game I'll take this Ben. If Ben is good for ten throws downfield to keep the defense honest that's a win. And as 86Ward said, it usually takes Ben a few games to get into a rhythm.

How far we go this year really all depends on our running game. If we can develop any we are sitting pretty. If it continues to look like last Sunday we are in trouble. Someone said it in another thread but I'm really excited to see what Harris can do once he gets an OL that can open holes. He has some burst.
    Last edited by EzraTank; 09-17-2021 at 08:51 AM.

Senior Member Array title="dislocatedday has a reputation beyond repute"> dislocatedday's Avatar

I think we'll have a better idea of where Ben is with his QB play and abilities after 3-4 games. As someone else above said, it was kind of windy at Buffalo on Sunday, so that may have factored into the passes we saw. It's hard to tell right now. He threw the ball hard some in the two series he played in preseason, and his teammates and coaches have talked about his arm being stronger this year than last, so I am hopeful that Ben is going to be more than just a "game manger" this season.
    Last edited by dislocatedday; 09-16-2021 at 03:06 PM. Reason: typo