Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Game balls and goats

Senior Member Array title="RunNGun has a reputation beyond repute"> RunNGun's Avatar

Game balls and goats

Hell of a roller-coaster ride this one was. Offense was non-existent in the first half and showed life in the 2nd. Admittedly, I didn't think this team had a chance after the first half. Defense was lights out and should receive high praise for the way they balled out. Special teams started bad, but now it's Danny Smith for pres!

Gameballs...

Defense. Everyone. They were lights out. There looked to be no weakness in that defense. Pierre made some nice plays by keeping everything in front of him. Tj Watt was TJ Watt...the best edge in the business. Minkah was flying all over the place. Cam was in the backfield early and often. Sutton held his man in check all day. Highsmith was great at almost getting sacks. Ingram filled in well when called upon.

Goats

There is no goats this week. No one on the offense played particularly well, but they showed signs of improvement and that is huge for this team. We beat a great team on the road and we're sitting 1-0. They made the necessary adjustments at half and the offense showed a pulse. No one saw us winning this game besides a few experts on this forum. Onto da Raiders!

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Re: Game balls and goats

Game Balls: Defense, Special Teams, Ben, WRs.

Goats: Run Blocking.

Great team win to start the 2021 season!

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="EzraTank has a reputation beyond repute"> EzraTank's Avatar

Wow not what I expected. If the OL can get better we have a shot against anyone. This defense was scary good, assuming this secondary continues to play like this.

GB: Ben, Harris, the defense and special teams. The blocked punt/TD sealed this game.

Goats: Run blocking, but it got better.

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

Game Ball: 2nd half
    Goat: 1st half

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Almost all positives.

The only thing that concerns me is that very little came out of scheme and flow on offense. It was all individual plays and a few key penalties. That was what eventually ran out of gas last season.

But for week 1, just give everyone a game ball for stealing a win on the road.

Senior Member Array title="HollywoodSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> HollywoodSteel's Avatar

20-0

Senior Member Array title="RunNGun has a reputation beyond repute"> RunNGun's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    Almost all positives.

The only thing that concerns me is that very little came out of scheme and flow on offense. It was all individual plays and a few key penalties. That was what eventually ran out of gas last season.

It is concerning. It definitely took some magic to pull this one out, but I do look for the running game to keep improving. That should take some pressure off of Ben and the WRs.

Well there you have it... Array title="NCSteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> NCSteeler's Avatar

Almost all positives.

Exactly how I see it. No players were schemed open. Everyone was pretty well covered but made great plays

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
    Merry Christmas

Senior Member Array title="Edman has a reputation beyond repute">

Heroes: Defense, Special Teams, 2nd Half Offense.

Goats: First half Offense was miserable.

The game swung when Buffalo made those 4th down calls. They clearly didn't respect the Steelers Offense and challenged them. The Offense for the most part responded.

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

FO did a good job picking up Black Tommy Maddox

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Goats: game day thread.

Almost all positives.

You know, I'm really not worried about scheming this game. It looked as though the scheme was: "Wait, new O line and rookie RB who doesn't block well at the NFL level (yet)? Yeah, we're not going to get our QB killed." Now, if this is the same game plan for game 6, I'm going to be seriously worried.

Senior Member Array title="Edman has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by Shoes View Post
    I'm already in midseason form.

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Edman View Post
    I'm already in midseason form.

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shoes View Post

Sent from my LM-V600 using Tapatalk

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Craic View Post
    You know, I'm really not worried about scheming this game. It looked as though the scheme was: "Wait, new O line and rookie RB who doesn't block well at the NFL level (yet)? Yeah, we're not going to get our QB killed." Now, if this is the same game plan for game 6, I'm going to be seriously worried.
    All very true and reasonable. I just feel like every year we hear all off-season that this or that is gonna come for the offense. And then every season, it is Ben just stands back there and tries and make random plays. Structure and flow be darned. Feels like more of the same...but...who really knows?

All very true and reasonable. I just feel like every year we hear all off-season that this or that is gonna come for the offense. And then every season, it is Ben just stands back there and tries and make random plays. Structure and flow be darned. Feels like more of the same...but...who really knows?
    I feel part of that is because of the lack of a run game that commands any respect. A lot of times it came down to Ben just buying time and making shit happen. Hopefully that changes through this season as I like that they're showing a commitment to running the ball

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Offense definitely looked different today. There were some of the same plays but you’re going to have that no matter what. There was some nice wrinkles in there though.

Want to add that Freiermuth was clutch when his number was called. If he keeps this up he's going to be a Steeler for life

I understand, and really, had to temper a few thoughts I was having during that first half as well along the same lines. But I just kept reminding myself of something I learned back in the 1997 season. NEVER judge a Steelers team until the sixth game is over. If we're 3-3 or better most likely we are playoff bound.

Senior Member Array title="ETL has a reputation beyond repute"> ETL's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Fire Goodell View Post
    FO did a good job picking up Black Tommy Maddox

Senior Member Array title="HollywoodSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> HollywoodSteel's Avatar

That's all fair, and the first half did have me worried. But even Ben said that this offense might not look too pretty early on. That tells me that there is a plan, Ben is confident in that plan, but it will take a little while to hum. If we can get Ws while that happens, what more can I ask for.

Even the difference between the first half and the second gives me some hope.

But man, our defense today on the road in a playoff atmosphere against an offensive juggernaut... that REALLY gives me hope that we'll have little cushion to get it together offensively. We were praising CBs like Sutton and Pierre for heaven's sakes! That is really nice.

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Almost all positives.

With limited playing time, I doubt the entire playbook is available. Too many young players and new players to master it all. I think more and more will be added and on display as the season unfolds.

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

Dong win...

Senior Member Array title="dislocatedday has a reputation beyond repute"> dislocatedday's Avatar

It was so good to have Bush and Schobert in at middle linebacker. It was a noticeable difference with those 2 in versus what the Steelers had to field in their spots most of last season.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

GAMEBALLS
    Highsmith: two holding calls called against the LT… that would have been hurries (or possibly sacks)

Ingram: dude was lined up everywhere; excellent pressure; someone used a bicycle pump on his arms

Watt: pffft, five less sacks than the NFL leader (joking aside: his presence was felt)

Sutton: WOW!!!

Bush: He was making tackles that normally would have ended up being big gains

Punt coverage: Block!!!

Green: He was 35 yards downfield blocking on Claypool’s long run

Boz: …is money

Heyward & Fitzpatrick: Good as always (I almost forgot them).

GOATS
    Challenge flag (lack thereof): when Heyward stripped that ball, why wasn’t it challenged???

Danny Smith: Need I say anything??? SMFH

It takes Ben 4-5 games to come out of hibernation nothing new here.

Friermuth's blocking was pretty solid.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Friermuth's blocking was pretty solid.
    On Najee’s long run, Muth sprung him by blocking the LB who had gotten behind the LOS. If not for that block, it’s (yet another) run for a loss.

Oh, and Norwood & Pierre had some key plays.