Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Game balls and goats

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Re: Game balls and goats

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    I deleted the photo for ease of posting, but it might make my question less clear.

But if Watt is able to take a step outside of Johnson's frame (say to the inside towards the guard) and Johnson does not mirror it properly and he and Watt are no longer "square" - would that be holding? Because now Johnson (the OT) would be using a hold to keep Watt from sidestepping his block...or at least this is how I have understood things for a bit. Doesn't mean I am correct.
    Correct. If the rusher gets his hips past the OT hips and the OT is still hanging on, like a goalie trying to catch a puck with an extended glove hand, then its a hold and an easy penalty call.

I just think so many fans think that a guy is holding when he had closed hands inside the frame of the defender and that is not a penalty.

Re: Game balls and goats

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    Correct. If the rusher gets his hips past the OT hips and the OT is still hanging on, like a goalie trying to catch a puck with an extended glove hand, then its a hold and an easy penalty call.

I just think so many fans think that a guy is holding when he had closed hands inside the frame of the defender and that is not a penalty.
    I'm reminded of a common saying about this topic - "There's holding on every single play if the refs wanted to call it." The real issue isn't whether there's holding or not, but are the refs consistently letting the same things go and consistently calling the same actions for holding against both sides in a game? If the answer is yes, then that's all we can hope for.