Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Game balls and goats

Senior Member Array title="JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue has a reputation beyond repute"> JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue's Avatar

Re: Game balls and goats

I was impressed by Ingram and Sutton's play and of course TJ as always.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Edmunds made several solid open field stops that prevented good plays by the Bills from turning into great plays. Had a solid game doing what a safety should do.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    On Najee’s long run, Muth sprung him by blocking the LB who had gotten behind the LOS. If not for that block, it’s (yet another) run for a loss.

Oh, and Norwood & Pierre had some key plays.
    Same on Chase’s run. Sealed the block and upfield he went.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="The Bark is a jewel in the rough"> The Bark's Avatar

First half offense had me hating the fact that the key players played a total of what, one, two quarters together in the preseason. Granted, it's essentially a new offensive line and coordinator, but that's also why they need(ed) more time to gel (and not to take anything away from Buffalo's defense.) Hopefully they will improve as the season progresses, but that first half was absolutely flat-out dreadful and aside from the motion looked an awful lot like last year's offense down the stretch, with an emphasis on awful.

Game Ball - Watt.
    Goat - all-in-all, they won with a team effort coming from behind on the road in a tough, pumped up environment. I've been to many games in Buffalo and the Bills are my #2 team, so it was a big game and a bigger win in a stadium that can be filled with its fair share of arsehats.

Administrator Array title="Texasteel has a reputation beyond repute"> Texasteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shoes View Post
    Goats: game day thread.
    Can't blame me, I just got home, but I did see the game from the comfort of a bar stool.

Not going to make any lasting judgments on the first game, but Green seemed to have pick up on the center position pretty quickly. anxious to see him with 3 or 4 games under his belt.

AML

Administrator Array title="Texasteel has a reputation beyond repute"> Texasteel's Avatar

I will say that the person that deserves both the hero, and goat award is who ever drew up that bone head 4th down play the Bills tried to pull off. Hero for us, goat for them.

AML

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Texasteel View Post
    I will say that the person that deserves both the hero, and goat award is who ever drew up that bone head 4th down play the Bills tried to pull off. Hero for us, goat for them.
    i think even the steelers were surprised it wasn't a qb sneak. you got a big athletic qb and only half a yard to go

Senior Member Array title="Steeler-in-west has a reputation beyond repute"> Steeler-in-west's Avatar

Gameballs: Sutton, Bush, Schobert, and the defense overall, except for that one quick long drive by the bills the defense was outstanding

also good efficient game by Ben, and great catch by DJ

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

Norwood keeps it up, he has a place on the defense. Other than stopping his feet in coverage which let Sanders get open down the field(overthrown) early in the game he played very well. His versatility let Minkah move around in the slot. I'm not sure how much they'll keep doing it but it's something I liked seeing.
    1. Graham Barton, C, Duke 2. Ricky Pearsall, WR, Florida 3. Maason Smith, DT, LSU 3. Max Melton, CB, Rutgers 4. Blake Fisher, OT, Notre Dame 6. Tommy Eichenberg, ILB, Ohio State 6. MJ Devonshire, CB, Pittsburgh

Senior Member Array title="dislocatedday has a reputation beyond repute"> dislocatedday's Avatar

That would be Bills OC Brian Daboll, who is getting roasted on Bills message boards, and rightfully so for that call.

Senior Member Array title="RunNGun has a reputation beyond repute"> RunNGun's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BlackAndGold View Post
    Norwood keeps it up, he has a place on the defense. Other than stopping his feet in coverage which let Sanders get open down the field(overthrown) early in the game he played very well. His versatility let Minkah move around in the slot. I'm not sure how much they'll keep doing it but it's something I liked seeing.
    This. I underestimated Norwood in the preseason. He seems to be the real deal. It's really impressive to see a 6th round pick catch on that quickly. I do believe his speed could hurt him at times, like on the Sanders deep ball, but all in all, the guy knows where he needs to be and puts himself in good position.

Senior Member Array title="HollywoodSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> HollywoodSteel's Avatar

I absolutely loved DJ’s concentration on that TD. It was his biggest problem last year and we all know how hard he worked on it in the offseason.

Also looked like he channeled a bit of Lynn Swan there.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

What about Claypool’s catch...pretty sick...

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="HollywoodSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> HollywoodSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    What about Claypool’s catch...pretty sick...
    Juju was clutch as well.

We have some talented WRs

Senior Member Array title="Steeler-in-west has a reputation beyond repute"> Steeler-in-west's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HollywoodSteel View Post
    I absolutely loved DJ’s concentration on that TD. It was his biggest problem last year and we all know how hard he worked on it in the offseason.

Also looked like he channeled a bit of Lynn Swan there.
    He’s actually starting to look a little like AB out there but yeah that particular catch was Swanny

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    Danny Smith: Need I say anything??? SMFH
    He gets no credit for the blocked punt/ TD?

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BlackAndGold View Post
    Norwood doesnt have long speed and will get burnt often if having to cover receivers downfield. But if he can play slot CB or S and cover slot receivers and TE's, he will be fine. I think Sutton and Pierre showed they can be an improvement over what Nelson was last year.

- - - Updated - - -

Can't blame me, I just got home, but I did see the game from the comfort of a bar stool.

Not going to make any lasting judgments on the first game, but Green seemed to have pick up on the center position pretty quickly. anxious to see him with 3 or 4 games under his belt.
    Green showed well and played beyond the whistle at times. Same with Turner and Dotson. This group of guys is going to improve as the weeks go by, as long as they stay healthy.

Senior Member Array title="Squeegee Thompson has a brilliant future"> Squeegee Thompson's Avatar

Game Balls:
    Holy crap ... almost everyone on D! Watt, Highsmith, Ingram, Heyward, Minkah, Sutton, Pierre, some JAG named Norwood. That was an all-around nasty defense that was bringing pressure from anywhere and everywhere. And when's the last time the secondary has ever been so stingy? Pierre, Sutton, and Norwood I think all had pass breakups.

Offense: Claypool, Juju, Muth (for a great catch and better-than-expected run blocking). DJ showed great concentration on that tipped pass in the EZ. 2nd half Ben. He does what he does: puts the team on his back in a hostile playoff-like environment and ground out an ugly just-good-enough-to-get-it-done win. He's showing better mobility in the pocket and the willingness to even tuck it and run that I didn't see at all last year. And even at 39 has still proven to be one tough SOB to get to the ground.

Special Teams: Killebrew and UGIII for that back-breaking blocked punt which effectively sealed the game. Harvin also impressed aside from that one shanked punt. He absolutely buried one (probably wind-aided) that he kicked from 2 yards deep in the EZ that landed at the Bills' 35 yard line ... that travelled about 77 yards in the air and had enough hang time to allow the tackle immediately after the catch. Totally flipped the field. The new holding combo of Kuntz, Harvin and Boswell sure seemed fine to me. All Boswell did is what he normally does: bisect the uprights on everything he kicked.

Coaching: I really liked to see the rotation of players in there. At one point I noticed Kendrick Green getting spelled for a few plays. I liked seeing the rotation of Heyward, Wormley, and Alualu and Highsmith, Ingram and Watt. I have no problem seeing our $120 million dollar toy being spelled for a few plays so he can come back in and wreak havoc with fresh legs. If they can keep a rotation of DL and OLBs fresh, they're going to give QBs nightmares.

Zebras: I get "let them play", but holy crap feel free to throw a flag sometimes. Watt was being held / tackled / sat on on Every. Single. Play. Same was nearly true for Highsmith on the other side. I saw at least 3 DPIs that didn't get called. That officiating (or lack thereof) was unreal.

GOATS:
    Offense: Run blocking. Yeah, yeah, I get it - you've got 2 rookies on the OL with 4 new faces from last season's OL and a rookie running back in there and none of these guys have seen true NFL game speed against a really, really good defense - but man, they looked overmatched for most of the game. I can only hope that more game time / cohesion / film study / weight room work will get them where they need to be. Just hoping Najee starts getting more to work with because he was being swallowed in the backfield almost all day long. DJ, although he had a great catch had 3 miscommunications with Ben. I'm guessing that Ben "read it right" and DJ "read it wrong", but any one of those screw-ups could've been disasterous. 1st-half Ben also missed some easy throws. I'll attribute it to rust / timing not being 100% there, and it would've been much more concerning if he hadn't put on his Superman cape for the 2nd half and gone vintage Ben.

Defense: No goats. I saw Bush take a bad angle on one of Singletary's long runs in the 4th quarter and get swallowed up, but it's hard to be critical of much at all on the D. They alone got the win.

Special Teams: How in the world does somebody take the opening kickoff 75 yards and never have to a) make somebody miss, b) change direction or c) break a tackle?! It was either an amazing job of blocking on the Bills' side, or an amazingly-poor series of angles taken by the gunners. ... and since Danny Smiff is still the ST coach, I'm going with the latter.

All-in-all it's hard to be too critical of a win that they weren't supposed to get in conditions that were not conducive to the passing game against a team that thinks it's going to the Super Bowl. A+ effort all around. Take the win, enjoy the flight back to the 'Burgh and on to the Raiduhs!

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Game ball - ME. I switched TV's at halftime and moved to another room after that crap first half.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Ben is now a game manager; he was a bad game manager in the first half and a good one in the second.

I think we should show Keith Butler some love. Yes, he has some great individual players to work with but he did a masterful job utilizing the secondary and the rotation of linebackers.

I think he studied the Bills offense very hard, remembering exactly what they - especially Diggs - did to us in the past and found a way to counter it.

My opponent in fantasy had Diggs so I was double happy that we kept his numbers relatively low.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

I think we should show Keith Butler some love. Yes, he has some great individual players to work with but he did a masterful job utilizing the secondary and the rotation of linebackers.

I think he studied the Bills offense very hard, remembering exactly what they - especially Diggs - did to us in the past and found a way to counter it.

My opponent in fantasy had Diggs so I was double happy that we kept his numbers relatively low.
    Good points. Being able to get offense killing pressure with just 3 or 4 is just a "cheat code" for a defense.

Send a minimum amount of dudes and then play safe coverage behind.

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

The defensive game plan was excellent. They rushed four almost the entire game. They blitzed only once. They sometimes rushed four, but only had two players going after the QB, with two others holding their ground at the LOS and keeping Allen from getting out of the pocket.

The Bills don't run the ball. So they essentially played third down defense with few defenders at the LOS with their hand in the dirt while mixing up coverages on the back end.

It was a masterful plan and I think they have a blueprint that other teams will throw at Allen.

Great job by Butler, and his design was executed beautifully by the defense with great controlled aggression.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    Good points. Being able to get offense killing pressure with just 3 or 4 is just a "cheat code" for a defense.

Send a minimum amount of dudes and then play safe coverage behind.
    55 plays by Buffalo’s offense
    1 blitz by the Pittsburgh defense

One!!!

Quote Originally Posted by pczach View Post
    The defensive game plan was excellent. They rushed four almost the entire game. They blitzed only once. They sometimes rushed four, but only had two players going after the QB, with two others holding their ground at the LOS and keeping Allen from getting out of the pocket.

The Bills don't run the ball. So they essentially played third down defense with few defenders at the LOS with their hand in the dirt while mixing up coverages on the back end.

It was a masterful plan and I think they have a blueprint that other teams will throw at Allen.

Great job by Butler, and his design was executed beautifully by the defense with great controlled aggression.
    Absolutely right. Although I don’t know if the blueprint will work for most teams. Butler was masterful because he knows he has the personnel to pass rush effectively with just four guys. Our front seven are monsters, even without Tuitt!

Imagine how many pressures and turnovers we might have had if the Bills didn’t hold on every play.

Senior Member Array title="Squeegee Thompson has a brilliant future"> Squeegee Thompson's Avatar

Imagine how many pressures and turnovers we might have had if the Bills had gotten called for each hold on every play.
    FIFY ...

Quote Originally Posted by Squeegee Thompson View Post
    FIFY ...
    Yeah, that too.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Imagine how many pressures and turnovers we might have had if the Bills didn’t hold on every play.
    I think a lot of fans see O linemen grab shoulder pads on the shoulder and around the chest and think that is a holding call that wasnt made. No official is ever going to call those, as long as the o lineman is between the defender and QB and has his hands tight like in the attached picture and is moving his feet to block.

Its actually coached that way and considered to be "inside the frame". They will call it if the rusher gets by the blocker and he is still holding on. But I think a lot of fans see it as a hold, when it is not, by football standards.

Sorry I could not find this photo in a smaller version, but it shows a great example of "not a hold".

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    I think a lot of fans see O linemen grab shoulder pads on the shoulder and around the chest and think that is a holding call that wasnt made. No official is ever going to call those, as long as the o lineman is between the defender and QB and has his hands tight like in the attached picture and is moving his feet to block.

Its actually coached that way and considered to be "inside the frame". They will call it if the rusher gets by the blocker and he is still holding on. But I think a lot of fans see it as a hold, when it is not, by football standards.

Sorry I could not find this photo in a smaller version, but it shows a great example of "not a hold".
    I deleted the photo for ease of posting, but it might make my question less clear.

But if Watt is able to take a step outside of Johnson's frame (say to the inside towards the guard) and Johnson does not mirror it properly and he and Watt are no longer "square" - would that be holding? Because now Johnson (the OT) would be using a hold to keep Watt from sidestepping his block...or at least this is how I have understood things for a bit. Doesn't mean I am correct.

Senior Member Array title="Edman has a reputation beyond repute">

The Bills' very high expectations did them in.

They went into this game with the mindset of blowing out the Steelers instead of just winning the game and were overly aggressive. Buffalo kept throwing haymakers that weren't landing.