Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Steelers head coach Mike Tomlin expects T.J. Watt to practice on Wednesday

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Re: Steelers head coach Mike Tomlin expects T.J. Watt to practice on Wednesday

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    With football and the fact that there are NO guaranteed contracts, I dont begrudge any RB(and other positions) for not wanting to play on a 1 year tag. If your option is a 1 year franchise tag at $10 million or a negotiated 5 year deal with $35 million guaranteed...the choice should be obvious.

A career ending injury like the Shazier injury and you lose more money than holding out would cost you.
    They tried but the reality is that both of them lost millions of dollars that neither will ever recoup in their lifetime. Take a risk on yourself but try to take an educated one. I think both of them failed in that category.

Add-on: In other words, it's all about leverage and not overplaying your hand. I don't think either of them heeded the advice of their representation, IIRC.
    Last edited by DesertSteel; 09-08-2021 at 06:53 PM.

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

At least TJ practiced

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by st33lersguy View Post
    At least TJ practiced
    we talking bout practice man, not the game, that TJ plays every one like it's his last, we talking bout practice

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by st33lersguy View Post
    At least TJ practiced
    Fake News.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Less than a year before he was traded, AB signed a contract to be the highest paid receiver in the NFL. Conversely, I haven’t heard about Watt punching a delivery guy or raping his trainer or throwing furniture at children or any of that kind of drama.

SUMMATION:
    AB’s departute had nothing to do with a contract dispute.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Does a team have to announce that they signed a player to an extension? I mean could they have already done it and now wait several months before announcing it or does it have to be announced then?

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Does a team have to announce that they signed a player to an extension? I mean could they have already done it and now wait several months before announcing it or does it have to be announced then?
    Interesting question. I could see Al Davis using something like that to keep his team in the headlines for weeks.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    Less than a year before he was traded, AB signed a contract to be the highest paid receiver in the NFL. Conversely, I haven’t heard about Watt punching a delivery guy or raping his trainer or throwing furniture at children or any of that kind of drama.

SUMMATION:
    AB’s departute had nothing to do with a contract dispute.
    Absolutely. AB lost his millions by being a douchebag.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    They tried but the reality is that both of them lost millions of dollars that neither will ever recoup in their lifetime. Take a risk on yourself but try to take an educated one. I think both of them failed in that category.

Add-on: In other words, it's all about leverage and not overplaying your hand. I don't think either of them heeded the advice of their representation, IIRC.
    Agreed. I think Bell had leverage, but not to the point that it was enough to "reset the RB market" like he talked about. At the time you could argue he was the best RB in the NFL. Brown just went off the deep end.

Anyways, when is this deal getting done. Seems like Watt's representation is "defending every page of paper" in the contract. Or the Rooneys are "not living in their fears" of this dragging on too long.

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Schobert just a coincidence? He played ahead of Watt at UW. Highsmith is looking like the real deal so far, raw but impressive. This defense has and continues to fit Watt's style of OLB. This is his fit and I hope he sees that. I also hope the FO understands the value Watt brings to the table.

My worst fear with this 'discussion' is Watt plays Sunday for 1 series and then has some soft tissue "injury" that puts him on IR until a contract gets hammered out.

Just pay him $2M per sack. Done.

Senior Member Array title="dislocatedday has a reputation beyond repute"> dislocatedday's Avatar

We now have both Ben and Cam, the team captains and respected veterans, lobbying for the Steelers FO and ownership to get a deal done and to pay TJ. They could have both just basically given a non-answer by saying they want TJ out on the field and hope things work out, but don't want to comment on other teammates contract negotiations.

I think the FO is going to have to bend here or potentially risk "bad feelings" across the locker room and trepidation amongst star players when they attempt to negotiate future contracts with the Steelers (i.e, Minkah Fitzpatrick next year).

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Watt is the last MEGA contract currently on the roster. Minkah will cost them money, but not the highest paid player in the entire league or whatever. So...the Rooneys have an interest in holding the line on the whole "we only guarantee this much" issue. That is almost certainly the only real sticking point. If the team can hold that line with the Watt deal...there is no one else on the horizon that would be in line to break that barrier.

I think someone famous said "Football players play football." And I think that is what the team is counting on. Watt has his side of the negotiations blink and sign the "almost guaranteed" version the team (assuming this on my end) prefers instead of the "totally actually guaranteed" version the player's side prefers.

Senior Member Array title="dislocatedday has a reputation beyond repute"> dislocatedday's Avatar

If the team was to guarantee let's say $100M, does the team have to put that much money in escrow so that it can be paid out at the times specified in the contract? I don't know how that side of the business works, but I thought I read somewhere that teams would have to put any fully guaranteed amount in escrow. If so, having $100M in cash on hand to put in escrow might be a problem for the Steelers. I don't know though. This is just speculation on my part.

Senior Member Array title="Hawkman has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by ETL View Post
    I never saw what AB and Bell did as “bad”. All they did was make a choice. They chose to pursue greater money over staying a Steeler. I never see this as a bad. If anything, I am glad they made these choices clearly and the Steelers could work around what they Brown and Bell wanted. I just want Watt to do the same - either say that what the money the Steelers offered is unacceptable or accept it. I don’t see him as bad if he chooses money. Hell, I’ve made those choice before and if I call Watt bad for doing this I would be a hypocrite. I would love watt to continue as a Steeler but if he chose not to - I understand that completely.
    I’m really not trying to be an ass, but if what I’m asking seems that way….. I don’t see how what AB and Bell did was clear at all. Their situations were totally different….Please clarify it for me! To me, Bell it was money, AB…respect….I guess?

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

Im sick of the " Pay the man bullshit"

bottom line reports they offered highest paid defender money , hell at Highest Paid player at his pos money should have been enough ...

now it looks to be a bargain by making him a hostage and quite frankly I think if it was my team is what I would do from here on out , I would say you have my best offer take it or leave it , BUT by leaving it this is what you will make the next 2 years after this one ... 10 million this year ... 15 next year on the tag and 18 million on the tag the year after that ( so 43 million over 3 years ) that will end up being your contract like it or not and then you will be closing in on 30 when long term big money deals are drying up ... so with that said your choice take this 7 year 160 million ( or whatever the numbers are ) or 3 years 43 million with your best years behind you ... its your call
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

It all depends on how the $$$ was offered. If it was guaranteed...then they paid the man. If it was not guaranteed but "well...we almost always pay out the first 3 years and we expect to pay out the full 5 of your deal..." then they didn't pay him anything. They made vague non-obligatory promises that they MIGHT pay him in the future.

If I was TJ Watt (or any other NFL player) I would want to get actually paid. Not paid with unenforceable paper promises.

Quote Originally Posted by dislocatedday View Post
    If the team was to guarantee let's say $100M, does the team have to put that much money in escrow so that it can be paid out at the times specified in the contract? I don't know how that side of the business works, but I thought I read somewhere that teams would have to put any fully guaranteed amount in escrow. If so, having $100M in cash on hand to put in escrow might be a problem for the Steelers. I don't know though. This is just speculation on my part.
    I forget the exact situation but the Raiders couldn’t sign or extend players at one point a few years ago because they didn’t have the physical cash in the bank. I’m not sure exactly but there has to be some certain amount of cash flow available.

Im sick of the " Pay the man bullshit"

bottom line reports they offered highest paid defender money , hell at Highest Paid player at his pos money should have been enough ...

now it looks to be a bargain by making him a hostage and quite frankly I think if it was my team is what I would do from here on out , I would say you have my best offer take it or leave it , BUT by leaving it this is what you will make the next 2 years after this one ... 10 million this year ... 15 next year on the tag and 18 million on the tag the year after that ( so 43 million over 3 years ) that will end up being your contract like it or not and then you will be closing in on 30 when long term big money deals are drying up ... so with that said your choice take this 7 year 160 million ( or whatever the numbers are ) or 3 years 43 million with your best years behind you ... its your call
    That all matters on how the contract was constructed and what the actual “real money” is.

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Not sure about that, I can only guess it takes some time to get a contract of that dollar value completed. I have a gut feeling both sides have come to an agreement.

Quote Originally Posted by Shoes View Post
    Not sure about that, I can only guess it takes some time to get a contract of that dollar value completed. I have a gut feeling both sides have come to an agreement.
    It has to be drawn up and then submitted to the league for review but I don’t think the league announces those things either.

I mean the only reason not to announce it would be to troll the media…I don’t think there’s any other advantage but I was curious…

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

It has to be drawn up and then submitted to the league for review but I don’t think the league announces those things either.

I mean the only reason not to announce it would be to troll the media…I don’t think there’s any other advantage but I was curious…
    It is a good question.

Senior Member Array title="ETL has a reputation beyond repute"> ETL's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkman View Post
    I’m really not trying to be an ass, but if what I’m asking seems that way….. I don’t see how what AB and Bell did was clear at all. Their situations were totally different….Please clarify it for me! To me, Bell it was money, AB…respect….I guess?
    both wanted out. It was clear. They didn’t want to be a Steeler under the terms the Steelers were giving them.

The reason to not announce it or not technically sign it...would be to fiddle around with the cap space in advance of any Week1 moves the team wants to make. Once they sign/announce the Watt deal...they have to account for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    The reason to not announce it or not technically sign it...would be to fiddle around with the cap space in advance of any Week1 moves the team wants to make. Once they sign/announce the Watt deal...they have to account for it.
    No. Because it would already be submitted to the league so the cap space would already be accounted for.

No. Because it would already be submitted to the league so the cap space would already be accounted for.
    Fair. This is all over now anyways...but I meant submit to the league. Basically I was envisioning that TJ and the Steelers agree but hold off on formalizing anything so they can fiddle around with guys like Karl Joseph and maybe another OL and DL.

All moot now.

Senior Member Array title="HollywoodSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> HollywoodSteel's Avatar

Fair. This is all over now anyways...but I meant submit to the league. Basically I was envisioning that TJ and the Steelers agree but hold off on formalizing anything so they can fiddle around with guys like Karl Joseph and maybe another OL and DL.

All moot now.
    I don’t know if the player’s rep would go for that kind of thing. Not sure if guaranteed money is really guaranteed until it’s officially submitted.

Also I think in most cases both player and team want to get all discussions of it behind them as quickly as possible so they can just concentrate on football.

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkman View Post
    Bell wanted guaranteed money. But the Steelers didn't want to give guaranteed money to someone who was both injury prone and had been suspended in the past for behavioral reasons. Judging by how Bell's career went after he left, it was the right choice.

Someone like TJ who doesn't have the same injury history / stayed out of trouble, is much more likely to be worth the risk.

AB was just batshit crazy, I think any attempt to understand what was going through his head will only lead to more confusion.

Steelers head coach Mike Tomlin expects T.J. Watt to practice on Wednesday

All moot now.
    That’s my question. It could be submitted and everything good with the league. Do they have to announce it publicly? It’s not really a question that would impact anything other than the media and maybe some other teams thinking they may be able to get a player if he’s unsigned or whatever...or maybe the NFL makes that stuff public to the league as soon as it’s done? I don’t know...