Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: T.J. Watt could miss Steelers' opener vs. Bills amid contract dispute, per report

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

T.J. Watt could miss Steelers' opener vs. Bills amid contract dispute, per report

T.J. Watt is widely considered a favorite to win 2021 Defensive Player of the Year honors entering a contract season with the Steelers. That's assuming the star pass rusher suits up for Pittsburgh, which might not be the case in Week 1. According to ESPN's Jeremy Fowler, Watt's availability for the Steelers' season opener against the Bills on Sunday appears "in doubt" barring a last-minute agreement on a new contract. The Pro Bowler did not fully participate in a single team practice throughout training camp, and his practice status ahead of Sunday's matchup has not changed while he seeks a pay raise.

Watt, who exploded for a career-high 15 sacks in 2020, is not technically a holdout considering he's attended every practice since the summer began. But he participated exclusively in individual drills during camp, working out away from the rest of the team in an effort to accelerate talks on a new deal. Coach Mike Tomlin will reportedly address Watt's absence on Tuesday, but some have speculated that Sunday's kickoff could serve as an unofficial deadline for an extension, considering the Steelers have long refused to negotiate new contracts during the season.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/t...ts7LqqNdM2M3vk

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Re: T.J. Watt could miss Steelers' opener vs. Bills amid contract dispute, per report

What say you Dulac? It's a good thing we didn't hold our breath.

Senior Member Array title="that1guy is a splendid one to behold">

Re: T.J. Watt could miss Steelers' opener vs. Bills amid contract dispute, per report

This isn't good for the Steelers or TJ.

Senior Member Array title="EzraTank has a reputation beyond repute"> EzraTank's Avatar

He's under contract, love TJ but this is a dick move if true.

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

No surprise. Seems to be in lockstep with the current culture of the team

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Nothing wrong with TJ looking for his payday. He's earned it.

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

if he doesnt play Sunday he may not play at all ...

I mean by the logic used , lets be real they wont negotiate once kickoff hits so the only thing he is losing by not playing is game checks and that is not gaining him money ... and gaining money is what he is trying to do with a new deal ( that he deserves , that said he is under contract now so if no deal made play the contract out and test free agency )
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

I have no idea why this taking so long. Both sides know where this ends. Someone is quibbling over the % of guaranteed cash. Whatever side leaks this to gain traction.

Just get it done. It will be for 30-35 million per year. Guarantee 10% less than Watt would like and 10% more than the team would like and get on with business at hand.

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    I have no idea why this taking so long. Both sides know where this ends. Someone is quibbling over the % of guaranteed cash. Whatever side leaks this to gain traction.

Just get it done. It will be for 30-35 million per year. Guarantee 10% less than Watt would like and 10% more than the team would like and get on with business at hand.

if it doesnt end up with him in uniform on Sunday he likely played his last down as a steeler

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

The whole “refusal to negotiate during the season” thing is dumb.

This whole thing should have been done the last week of the preseason so he would’ve had two nice weeks of practice.

you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

What’s the hold up? Does he want #1 OLB money and #2 DE money?

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

OK. If you actually click through and read the stuff - all the way back to the original Fowler tweet "report" -- it is no big deal. Same old, same old. Watt does drills and will resume full practice when he signs a deal.

Senior Member Array title="dislocatedday has a reputation beyond repute"> dislocatedday's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Fire Goodell View Post
    What’s the hold up? Does he want #1 OLB money and #2 DE money?
    I am sure it is the percentage of total money that is guaranteed in the deal. Steelers have only ever guaranteed the initial signing bonus in their deals. While the team for the most part let guys play out their deals to see full value, there are always cases where they release someone early. I would bet TJ wants guaranteed money in line with what other elite top defensive payers are getting, which is way more than what the Steelers have guaranteed in the past for players.

I knew the day would eventually come when the Steelers would be challenged with this "policy" they follow about not guaranteeing any money outside of the upfront signing bonus, and it appears to me that this day has come with TJ. I can't say I blame him, and honestly I think it is time the Steelers re-evaluate how they structure contracts. They are probably thinking if we do this for TJ then the floodgates will open with other players in future negotiations...........but TJ is special and is an elite, blue-chip player.

-------Updated--------

For reference, Myles Garrett has $100M guaranteed with the deal he signed with the Browns last year. I would bet TJ and his agent are looking for guaranteed money to be in that same ballpark.

Senior Member Array title="ETL has a reputation beyond repute"> ETL's Avatar

Hmmmm. Will TJ hold out the whole year like leveon bell?

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Steelers can tie his balls up for three years.

Senior Member Array title="Steeler-in-west has a reputation beyond repute"> Steeler-in-west's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ETL View Post
    Hmmmm. Will TJ hold out the whole year like leveon bell?
    no way, he’s going to get paid and play, much harder to replace than a RB who was actually starting to slip in ypc the last year in Pittsburgh

Although I do think it might be funny to watch Steelers fans try and spin Watt's holdout into a good thing...I hope it doesn't come to that!

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

Dear Pittsburgh Steelers, grab a lot of money, and give it to TJ Watt.

Thanks.

Senior Member Array title="EzraTank has a reputation beyond repute"> EzraTank's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shoes View Post
    Nothing wrong with TJ looking for his payday. He's earned it.
    Yes but do it next year when your contract runs out. I fucking HATE the modern day athlete. Entitled a holes.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

If he is not on the field Sunday, so what? The Steelers are bigger than Watt. Who knows what he's asking. He's not worth $35M a year. He's just not. They control him for three years.

Moats take

Senior Member Array title="Edman has a reputation beyond repute">

2021 season off to a rousing start.

Trade him for a 5th round pick and let's move on.

So if he holds out this week 19-1?

Senior Member Array title="HollywoodSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> HollywoodSteel's Avatar

I hope he signs and everyone can celebrate, but the fact is TJ isn’t the one with the leverage right now. He’s under contract and he’s never gotten his big payday yet. He’s not going to want to start incurring those crazy fines. Especially knowing that the Steelers will sit on their hands all season and franchise him at the end of it.

No, TJ will play. He might be annoyed but he’ll play.

But I think he’s telling his reps just get it done. I want this off my mind. Something will be signed this week.

tell him sign the damn deal or face the tag the next TWO season at less money than the projected deal will be ...

10 million this year + tag next would be 15 million tag year after would be 15 million +20% ( so 18 million )so 43 million over 3 years and you are now 29 looking for big money deal ??? not near as likely

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

tell him sign the damn deal or face the tag the next TWO season at less money than the projected deal will be ...

10 million this year + tag next would be 15 million tag year after would be 15 million +20% ( so 18 million )so 43 million over 3 years and you are now 29 looking for big money deal ??? not near as likely
    If he doesn't sign a deal it's probably sit out for 3 years and get the marcus allen treatment or get traded. I hope they can come to a deal, though it doesn't sit well with me if they're already going to make him the highest paid defensive player and that's still not enough?

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

If TJ has another 13+ sack season this year (his fourth season in a row) it will only be the second time in NFL history it’s happened. Reggie White is the other.

SUMMATION:
    There is ZERO chance the Steelers let a player of that ilk become a free agent, let alone trade him.

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    If TJ has another 13+ sack season this year (his fourth season in a row) it will only be the second time in NFL history it’s happened. Reggie White is the other.

SUMMATION:
    There is ZERO chance the Steelers let a player of that ilk become a free agent, let alone trade him.
    He's going to have to play in order to have another 13+ sack season. If they come to a disagreement, will he play for the price of that 5th year option? If not, will he play for the franchise tag price? If not, will he spend the next 3 years with Le'Veon Bell in Miami on a jetski?

Senior Member Array title="Hawkman has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by Fire Goodell View Post
    He's going to have to play in order to have another 13+ sack season. If they come to a disagreement, will he play for the price of that 5th year option? If not, will he play for the franchise tag price? If not, will he spend the next 3 years with Le'Veon Bell in Miami on a jetski?
    No…..because Le’Veon Bell is now on the Ravens practice squad…..for real!